Features

Sleepy Town with Lush Greenery! BellaNaijarian Kodichi Shares NYSC Experience in Abeokuta

IMG_20160319_121255_edit_editSo I was posted to Abeokuta (the semi cool kids call it Abk. There are no fully cool kids in Abk ☹. Maybe coolness drains out the longer one stays here) for my youth service. My experience so far has been crazy!  For one who has lived in Lagos all her life to live here is like going from sixty to zero. It is like going from fast pace to snail pace, which is not bad if you hate Lagos traffic.

Scenery wise Abeokuta is breathtakingly beautiful…the hills and valleys, the rocks strewn around like forgotten playthings of Titans. Everywhere is so lush and green!IMG_20160319_120715

Abk can be likened to a sleeping giant…naah, a sleepy something sha. There is no cinema hall in Abk, they make do with a projector and a small screen. When the boredom eats you up you are actually grateful to know such a thing exists. There are roughly three “cinema halls” in Abk and two predominantly show Yoruba films….not bad if you’re fluent in Yoruba.

IMG_3520 There is no ShopRite in Abk. This sucks for those of us who think ShopRite is the mark of civilization. There are rumoured plans to build one sha so if you get posted here stay hopeful.
Transportation is cheap! No buses or molues. Cabs all the way! Some tiny issues, the cabs simply do not stop because you are standing by the road side, you must shout out your destination (not for the faint at voice). And if you are lucky enough to be going their way, they stop….over 20 feet away.

IMG_3525
Don’t dawdle oh! Run towards them or they will drive off as if to say “this one is not serious” or “ma waste time mi” (my humble attempts at Yoruba…) the Ogun cab driver reveres change and frowns on the 200, 500 and 1,000 Naira notes. Don’t provoke him by presenting him with any of these, the Yoruba insults you get are not worth it. Unless you have no knowledge of the language and you are guessing that “ori e ti baje” means thank you. Also, beat down cab prices. The first price you hear can usually be haggled till it’s at least 20 Naira less unlike Lagos where transport cost is in multiples of 50. Here 100 Naira can be beat down to 70 or 60 Naira, excluding the fuel scarcity periods of course!
IMG_3521
Another thing, enunciate your destination clearly! If not “isabo” will be mistaken for “sapon” and “itoku” for “ita-eko”. For an Igbo girl this is asking a lot but I do get by. Oh! And my house has no address, just the bus stop name ☺ because that’s how we roll here.

Abk has the most interesting names of places; Panseke, Oke mosan, Oke ilewo, Eleweran (sounds meaty doesn’t it?), Adigbe, Gbokoniyi to mention a few. The whole mouth must be involved in the pronunciation!
Furthermore, why is there a bar on every street? One out of five houses is a bar! You are more likely to see a Gulder sign than an MTN sign. 50% of the men here have beer bellies! And when they aren’t at the bar, the number one hang out spot is the M.K.O stadium which just equals more drinks!
IMG_3542
Not to mention the clubs. My God! The clubs! Their names are so uninspired and they are basically hotel lounges. What self respecting club has Hollandia yoghurt in its drinks menu? Answer, all the clubs here. For some reason the club empties out at 3am. Seriously! Once its 3am there’s a mass exit and I’m just there confused. Maybe the ojujus come out to twerk at that time, I don’t know but I don’t want to find out so I leave as well.
What hurts me most is I am yet to come across isi-ewu, but i see live goats everywhere! Are they sacred or something?
IMG_20160319_105742
There’s a Gulder billboard here that says “where are the men?” and that’s how I feel! One is yet to come across a dashing single (emphasis on single) guy who is charming and charismatic. They are either boys or elders here, this makes for boring weekends. I will admit that there are a few nice ones that I have come across (just in case an Abk friend is reading this)☺.

IMG_3516
So that’s all I have to say for now, I can’t wait to visit Olumo rock or go swimming in any of the numerous pools here. Wherever you are, YOU create your own fun! Ciao!

1. Xoxo

April 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Nice write up!….is this the Kodichi i know?
    Catch the goats and kill them na….hehehe

• damilola

April 10, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Why are igbos always quick to say how unpleasant living in the south west places is. Although, this article is supposed to be taken lightly but looking at how unnecessarily pompous, full of themselves igbos are, I judge the motives of the author. Leave Abeokuta alone. Go write about south East and lets see how better it is. And do your youth corp there

• Hian

April 10, 2016 at 6:42 pm

@Damilola, why so hurt? If you read, you will note this was written by an Igbo girl who lived all her life in Lagos not in a village in the South east. There was no need for the defensiveness in your comment. We all have ‘abule’ in our parts of the country. Please my sister, lets stop seeing tribalism everywhere and appreciate the beauty in our diversity as Nigerians.

• Damilola

April 10, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hian, go read the definition of hurt. So, you can stop using it out of context. If I was hurt, I would have cussed her out but I didnt. Go preach to igbos who always find ways directly and indirectly to bash yorubas and leave me alone. The weird part is, when yorubas call their shenanigans out, we are the bad guy. Its all humor now, let it be a yoruba write about how unpleasant it is to live southeast all igbos will come out ready to fight.
      Infact, yorubas write your own articles about bad experiences living east. We have ours too. Yeah, we are not as populated in the East as igbos are in the west but still.

• Gbenga

April 10, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Omo people can match P o! Choi. Well the author is a personal friend of mine so I can’t think of this article anyways that would make me start thinking of it in terms of Yoruba and Igbo. For me it just mirrored the typical experience of a person living in a foreign environment and describing their experience. But well we are all entitled to our opinions whether serious or fun.

Kodichi. This was epic. Thanks for making my evening.

• ElessarisElendil

April 10, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Well, if it’ll help you sleep better. We love Lagos, especially all the cash we cart away from it, thank you Benin people; don’t know how life would be if you guys didn’t put this military camp on the map.

Ngwanu ndoo ehn, sorry.

• damilola

April 10, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Gbenga, I could care less if the author is your mother. I stand on my opinion. Igbos always get away with indirectly bashing yorubas. Be the first to start doing yeye preaching about unity when they are the most divisive tribalist. I grew up mostly with Igbo people, I know their tactic too well. My friend chioma’s mom told me, I dont look yoruba, she thought I’m igbo. It sounded harmless and i didnt read much into it at that time because I wasnt aware of tension btw yorubas and Igbos until I hung out with more igbo people. She repeated the statement after she found out I’m yoruba. Ok, no wahala. Until she said in igbo(someone translated it) you will know Yorubas by their ugly tribal marks, they have very short hair, huge lips and smell terribly. When you see an ugly person just know na yoruba. I’m like WTF, so she has an agenda insisting I’m not full yoruba. The weird part is, she says it with a straight face like it’s a fact. Then chioma told me, her mom always told them igbo people are the most beautiful in Nigeria and Yorubas killed thousands of igbos bcos we hate them and are jealous. I’m like, seriously people actually belive such rubbish.

• Xiomara

April 11, 2016 at 5:42 am

Damilola and other tribalistic party poppers, who don’t understand the concept of a light hearted piece should do well to sort out their issues somewhere else.

• Nuna

April 11, 2016 at 7:18 am

I swear your issues have issues! I’m sorry nut you really have to assess yourself for real. BTW are you related to Amh who not only nitpicks everything an Igbo person does?
      Calm down ok. Life is not that serious. Go through everything you have written. You sound like you are about to burst a nerve. Please dont

• banana

April 11, 2016 at 8:57 am

Hian Abeokuta is not a vilage.

• banana

April 11, 2016 at 9:23 am

Whether you like it or not igbo people are tribalistic, i remember when i was in secondary school. I had mostly igbo friends so i joined the “”atilogwu dance group'” and easily learnt most of the dance steps i even did it better than most of them. Being a yoruba girl i didn’t have the attire and they would have promised to bring one for me only for them not to fulfil their promise on the D day, i used to feel very bad they obviously didn’t want a yoruba girl in their group.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 11, 2016 at 11:57 am

@ElessarisElendil… I thought on what you wrote for a couple of minutes, and then it dawned on me. Hahahaha! You, my friend, make a very salient historical point. 🙂

@ Kodichi, the original article writer – it was a funny read overall. I saw what you were aiming for but even for the bits I laughed at (twerking ojujus, et al), there were other parts which made me think, “oh dear. There’ll definitely be knives drawn in the comments section for this poor lass…” 🙂

• Damilola

April 11, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Y’all can call me tribalist all you want. Bunch of liars and pretenders. Growing up, never did my parent, my family speak negative of igbos. To my surprise, it was when I started hanging out with Igbos that I realized tension. If anybody is tribalist, igbo people are. I dont hate jgbos or anybody for that matter but I’ll call bulls#t out when I see it though. And guess what, neither do I care if all these witches come out to attack me…lol The article is meant to be lightheartedl but like i said looking at how manipulative, conniniving, bitter many igbos are towards yoruba I’m not taking it lightly. Bring it on

• Barrister

April 11, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Love history,love Yoruba history and Cultural Heritage. Abeokuta is a beautiful clean city,their roads are tarred unlike some cities that are landlocked red soiled land….. not tarred with erosion…..,where non of them want to live in. LOL!!!! They want to teach learned people their history?!

• Dee one

April 12, 2016 at 2:22 am

Take it easy abi are you from abk ni? Btw I’m neither igbo nor yoruba

• Amina

April 12, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Oh well, Damilola. It’s just a write-up and her experience. This isn’t a tribalistic issue. You’ll do the same if you were posted to a strange place. So please cut her some slack. It’s never that serious. Thank you 🙂

• Ego

April 12, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I dated a Yoruba guy for 3 years only for him to tell me his mum said over her dead body will he marry omo Igbo. In school I also had a couple of Yoruba girls I thought were my insult me and my language in Yoruba not knowing that I could put 2 and 2 together. Tribalism is real and it happens in every tribe. I have Yoruba people telling me I don’t look or ‘act’ Igbo like tf that supposed to mean? Should I be wearing red cap around or is there a certain way they stereotype igbos. I’m proud of my tribe. No doubt there are a few tribalists but it’s not just igbos. Currently still dating a Yoruba guy but it’s wrong, very wrong to generalize like that. That is the problem we’re having in this generation

• Morolake

April 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm

You are so small minded madam/oga. Relax, its not that serious. I am Yoruba and i found the post hilarious and really interesting to read. *side eye*

• Morolake

April 13, 2016 at 1:45 pm

You are so small minded madam/oga Damilola. Relax, its not that serious. I am Yoruba and i found the post hilarious and really interesting to read. *side eye*

• Jade

April 12, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I no go lie, this post is somehow sha. However, I wouldn’t put it on the author being Igbo, maybe Abeokuta is just not her thing especially coming from Lagos. But it’s not witty. It underlining has the attitude of, I don’t give a “F” about this raggedy place called Abeokuta. But let me be a little nice since my “one Abeokuta friend” may read this #sideeye#

And, damilola comments about Igbos seem overboard sometimes but I also understand where she’s coming from. Out of the three major tribes, Igbos nitpick mostly when it comes to Yoruba people. They wan compete, win pass Yoruba people. All their problems na Yoruba people fault. Even among my Igbo friends, they love to talk, tease, insult Yoruba people more than the other way around which I find funny sometimes. Some Yoruba people join in the tease too. During our girl talk, everybody swear to marry from their tribe except me(I want my Yoruba prince no demon). My friend Wunmi says I want to marry a Yoruba man with a done deal approval. My childhood friend Ifeoma says Igbo men are the best in the planet(well she eventually married an Italian guy), wrote a blog post about pride in her Igbo heritage and language(one she doesn’t understand neither can she speak). My current friend patience is a funny example. This girl carry dis Biafra tin on her head. When she talks about Nigeria to Americans, Biafra is her main topic. Sometimes we get in heated argument about why we south won’t join in. She speaks fluent Igbo.
      But ask her who her favorite naija music artists are, Fela Kuti, wiz kid and Tiwa savage. Then she remembers her Biafra stand she changes the order Flavour is the first on the list then Chidinma. Where did she go to school in Nigeria? She went to FUTA in Akure. Who was her last boyfriend? A Yoruba guy.
      To me, I feel like majority of igbos don’t mean any harm.

• Jade

April 12, 2016 at 4:10 pm

From my observation, i feel like igbos just want to prove their worth and demand respect by force which is sometimes done with the wrong approach. Yorubas do theirs in a cultured, subtle and diplomatic way which can also come off not genuine. Overrall, everybody is fighting for something.
      So everything is not tribalism. I love Nigeria as one. The biggest problem nigeria has, is not tribalism. Its corruption, wickedness, selfishness etc and no tribe, ethnic group is exempt from that. Rich people, criminals share common interest and its not tribe. They dey chop money together.

• Ehi

April 15, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I bet you if the author is posted north, she will thank her lucky stars for Abeokuta and won’t have the guts to talk like this. Northern states except for Benue(slightly better than the rest) is not pleasant at all for one who’s not from there. You will feel like you are in some deserted place.

2. LOL

April 10, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Just what I needed whilst at work today!!!

3. Shey

April 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Wow! This article brings back memories. Lol I remember all those places, I used to stay in Abeokuta in Nig. It is a quiet and lovely place, lol my street name was even mentioned in this article.
    Nice article.

• Ije

April 14, 2016 at 5:15 pm

It brings back memories too. I know those places she mentioned. I assume the author hasn’t experienced ABK enough or she’s just a Lagos girl at heart. Also, was she being cheeky about visiting olumo rock, looks like that’s what she’s sitting on. I’m from Anambra, grew up in Enugu. Then I moved to Abk and lived there for 4years. I enjoyed myself well well. I like it’s quietness, and simplicity. The scenery is beautiful, nice sight seeing, fresh foods, easy way to get around and cheap good housing. I had Abk mummy, she spoilt me with correct pounded yam and efo riro, delicious local foods that woman can cook chai. She had her own clothing shop. The thing about ABK, you have to know the cool kids and where things are popping. But if you are not in the “fun” circle, I see how you will be bored out of your mind. I used to club till morning, have house parties and learning how to speak Yoruba made it more fun. Yes, ABK men can drink. Then I moved to Lagos for more job opportunities. I met my husband(who is originally from ABK). I know more about his place than him. I tell him all the time, I don’t mind moving back to ABK but he’s a Lagos boy.

Damilola, sorry na no vex. I’m Igbo girl who have lived in the west all her life and I love it. I love Yoruba people, culture and language.

4. Toluwalope

April 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Your descriptions are damn right though yabish. For a young Corper like you, Abk suites you atleast you can use the 12 months programme to reflect and plan what’s next for you instead of wanting to stay in the club till 7am like a club starved girl coming from a Naija private university????. I think you need to check out park inn by Radisson around Kuto for a quiet late night dinner. Standard of living in Abk is relatively cheap and easier to navigate round the whole ancient city with less stress. Abk is far ahead of most cities in the SE.

• Ekene

April 10, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Far ahead of most cities in East ? That’s the biggest lie. An old dusty town, if not for the present governor, that city can be best described as a RUSTY STEEL LOST IN THE DESSERT !!

• Bb

April 10, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Why can’t you just enjoy a read without going all tribal. How many cities have you been to In the east? Plus can you compare what the SW states receive to what the SE gets. Enugu is one of the most beautiful cities in west Africa, asaba is beautiful too. In fact if you add the old eastern region uyo is heaven compared to dirty, smelly Lagos. Calabar is divine. This is coming from a non Igbo person.

• Lohor

April 10, 2016 at 4:02 pm

The article seemed a bit condescending though, so I will see why Toluwalope will want to throw jabs, and I’m neither Igbo or Yoruba either.

• Lohor

April 10, 2016 at 6:57 pm

“Nor”

• Ra's al Ghul

April 10, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I’m not even from Abeokuta neither am i a Yoruba person and i don’t like the tone of this article, why the veiled insults? I wonder what would have been the case if it were the reverse, smh.

• Roseline

April 11, 2016 at 11:36 am

At least in the SE development is for sure and young corpers can party till whenever and still have their lives well planned while pronouncing the name of the state’s fully because the name does not suggest a village lo…

5. Alamutu Azeez

April 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm

In just one year,u can only say a little about the state capital and I didn’t read u writing about economic prospects in the Rockcity,again we don’t need a shop rite here cos it’s not a megacity like Lagos (if u even know what megacity is),your emphasis is more on social life which is not the purpose of NYSC…….

• Netizen

April 10, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Well ‘fun’ is her purpose for nysc. Yours might be different but please don’t knock her struggle. Not all of us believe in the national unity bullsheet, we just serve for the sake of it. Might as well have fun in the process?

6. lifeisbeautiful

April 10, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Light hearted and interesting read.

7. ElessarisElendil

April 10, 2016 at 2:08 pm

” I can’t wait to visit Olumo rock”
    I’ll expose my ignorance and ask which rock you’re meditating on?

You write beautifully.

• oops

April 10, 2016 at 3:36 pm

There are a lot of rocks there. Didn’t you read the article?

• ElessarisElendil

April 10, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I skimmed. I assumed Olumo rock was the only big rock in Abeokuta, though now you mention it. Yeah tons of rocks, why it provided refuge during the Yoruba wars.

So, I’ll ask another dumb question; why is Olumo special? I mean once you’ve seen one rock; haven’t you seen’em all????

Please bear with me. .

• Mama

April 10, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Lol……I grew up in abk… She definitely was meditating on olumo rock…The second to the last picture is also the entrance to Olumo..

8. Mz C-me

April 10, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Nice writeup. You should check out my trip to Olumo Rock ?https://eattechtravel.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/adventuretravel-olumo-rock/

9. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

April 10, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Lmaooo
    This sounds like a well constructed shade
    Kontinu
    “Abk” folks coming for you?

10. chiclero

April 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Very lovely article. Some of the cool kids in Lagos are of Abk origin.
    Btw, try hanging out around ‘Ibara Housing Estate’ axis for some cool or semi-cool kids depending on the day of the week.

• Ekun

April 10, 2016 at 3:09 pm

@chiclero, are you in Abeokuta? I just moved to Abeokuta and I’m like where are the cool people here Biko. All I see is Mapoly boys and girls. Please email me your number if you are around. My email is [email protected]

• Ekun

April 10, 2016 at 3:39 pm

@chiclero Biko are you in Abeokuta at the moment? I just moved to Abk and I’m like what, where are all the cool people??

11. Zandyzay

April 10, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Welcome to my world!!! Yet people keep asking ‘when are u getting married?’. LMAO @ last paragraph. May be we should hook up some day shaaa… but seriously I never knew we had a club here doh

• Ekun

April 10, 2016 at 4:11 pm

@Zandyzay and kodichi if you guys get read this, please email your number to me, [email protected]. At least I can hang out with people that understand how I feel about being in Abeokuta.

12. Left Hand Bionic

April 10, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Lol @where are the men?…. Throwing shades in a subtle way. Nice read

13. Jules

April 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm

@Toluwalope, I would like to know the criteria on which you posited that Abk is far ahead most cities in the SE because that’s rather spurious.

• Toluwalope

April 10, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Well, I’ve been to almost all the few cities we have in the south east but only two stands out, Enugu and Owerri in terms of infrastructures, working systems, town planning, love being shared etc a town like Awka, Onitsha, Aba where lawlessness and rowdiness is the order of both day and night. A land of very mean ,acclaimed business men and women. Can you imagine a city where the numbers of hotels are more than the numbers of educational institute( nursery, primary, secondary, and tertiary) summed up?. As rusty as Abeokuta’s roofs are, you could still see how organized and coordinated they’re….etc.

• Jules

April 10, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Aba, Onitsha and Awka are not planned? The hotels exceed the schools summed up? There you go again. I hope you didnt end up in the slum parts of these cities. When did rowdiness and mean businessmen/women bother anyone?Afterall, Lagos takes the cake in that regard. Tell me the infrastructures working in Abk.
      Talk about Aba, where town planning is excellent save for bad roads and waste mgt issues.These issues however hvent made Aba a sleepy town. And if youre thinking of the planned area in Abatmove from Park rd to Clifford, GRA, Brass Rd area etc I can say the same for the other cities you mentioned. By the way, you can’t be serious tha the number of govt and private schools put together are less than the hotels.

14. Ekun

April 10, 2016 at 3:12 pm

@kodichi I can relate Biko. Just moved back to Abeokuta and I can barely say I am coping. Please email your number to me, it will be nice hanging out with someone that feels how I feel. Lol. [email protected]

15. KacheeTee

April 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I actually laughed while reading this (despite the light-hearted shade)… But the hubs is from ABK, so I can’t even hate. He took it P sha when I kind of agreed with you that there are no FULLY cool kids in ABK. They have to have entered Lagos, to get some coolness. But then there are no FULLY cool kids in many cities. That’s what the poor state of the Nation does. But nevertheless, some of the smartest and kindest people are from there. So better look around well babes, and maybe get an ABK bobo. And yes, I’m Igbo.

ps: Please nobody should ask what FULLY cool means. This is just light banter.

16. queen bee

April 10, 2016 at 3:55 pm

My dear state of origin, I schooled here and trust me she isn’t lieing. Was here for 4yrs and I had to adapt, was coming to Lagos or going to ibadan every other week. Attended one dead Bach eve once, well it helped me focus on my studies Wch I went for and came out with an upper credit. Abk will likely remain t city old ppl like to retire into, calm n peaceful environ, low cost of living etc.

17. Marlvina

April 10, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Oh my! my! my! twas after I finished reading the article, I actually realized my family once lived in Abeokuta. That includes me too. We lived in Aro, cus dad worked at the Psychiatric hospital, I was only 2yrs old, my lil bro was just born when we relocated. I cant remember visiting the Olumo Rock but I can remember seeing myself with mum in one of the old picture albums at home. Apparently, they took me there.

• Anon

April 11, 2016 at 11:02 am

Funny, Lived in Aro too for many years, Dnt think we will know each other if u left at age 2. A

18. nino

April 10, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I loveddddddddddddddddddd this article.
    It was funny and brought back memories.
    I did my youth service in ABK at gateway savings and loans.
    I actually planned to redeploy but arrived the town… had a taste of the fresh pounded yam from iya ondo close to the NYSC office and fresh amala from one roadside place i forget the name now and I never left….
    I was like the God of good food resides in abeokuta…
    One year of good food, living in ibara estate where my landlord leased his fully furnished mansion to us for peanuts and living the mellow life away from Lagos..
    I came back to freshervand rounder..
    I miss it I swear…
    Have fun and do not sweat it….

• www.thelmathinks.com

April 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Please did your fully furnished mansion come with a 9pm curfew? When I served in Abk I lived in a fully furnished “mansion” in Ibara housing estate as well. The only thing that ruined it, and my entire one year was that silly 9pm curfew. And the landlord was so strict, once my housemate was talking to a toaster right at the gate and they locked her out. At 9.05pm we went begging the landlord for please open the gate, it was just 5 minutes gone, this man refused o even after begging for almost one hour. She had to sleep in Richmond hotel that night. I still dislike that man!

• Ogunblogger

April 10, 2016 at 10:25 pm

It’s richton and not richmond

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 11, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Dead @ “The God of Good Food”. :-))

Your sentiments are exactly how I felt about Enugu, when I lived there for law school and discovered their amazing treasure trove of delicious meals. The city itself didn’t thrill me very much but their food! Damn, everything tasted so good!

Kai, I was round in law school. Unrepentantly round, with no apologies to friends and family in Port Harcourt who were constantly surprised at how fat I was getting … Seems to me that the further inwards you go from the coastal cities in Nigeria, the better the food gets.

19. Mekz

April 10, 2016 at 4:37 pm

The writer gave a great perspective that is true to a large extent, or maybe things have changed from the time I was there.
    I served in Abk about two years ago and my service year was LIT! God! I loved that I served in Abk than in Lagos. Yes, abk is sort of a sleepy town but for a corper you have very cheap cost of living, no real hussle for transportation, good amala to eat and cheap houses.

For entertainment, getting a “tush” mapoly babe was one of the easiest things to do esp when you adorn your nysc uniform and have small money to spend.. …..this takes me to the part I disagree, Abk pple like to groove and party, how will the club be empty by 3am? I want to guess cos it cos of the current state of the economy and all. Clubs within stadium, quarry road, oke-ilewo were always on point, even though I only clubbed once (stayed till like 4am).

i absolutely loved my service year in Abk, my fellow corp members made that period one of the times i cherish most in my life, maybe more than the environment, the people around me made Abk lit at the time I was there.

20. Cheekie

April 10, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I wonder why every lagosian uses Lagos as a yard stick to measure, how other states/cities in Nigeria should be/look like…
    Lagos is this fast paced city with clubs,cinemas,studios,hotels,infrastructures etc,we gerrit. There are also places like Ajegunle,Maroko,Oshodi,Ifako and co within this lush city..
    There are cool kids everywhere,its not only in Lagos they make them..
    I am not from Abeokuta,but i have been there,i met some cool kids whilst there who live in areas where the roofs ain’t brown…Areas with architectural brilliance,lush modern houses,mansions and beautiful roads…

We tend to zoom in on one side of a place,the same way CNN etc focus on the not so cool side of Africa..
    Nice right up nonetheless…. The cool,tush,fly kids/grown ups in the Llagos scenery,are not all born and bred in Lagos.. Most lived and grew up in places like Abeokuta,Ibadan,Ijebu-ode,Warri,Jos,Imo etc and work,business,career(after graduating uni),school etc migrated them to Lagos…Let’s not get it twisted…

• Mama

April 10, 2016 at 9:51 pm

#Gbam

21. OneNigerianChic

April 10, 2016 at 5:18 pm

The stress of life called NYSC, you can only enjoy it when you overlook some certain challenges and just give the best you can, afterall its just a few months service to our Nation.
    Beautiful write up Kodichi, been hoping to visit Olumo Rock too, but haven’t found a partner in crime yet, if you don’t mind let’s go climbing together.

22. www.findingae.com

April 10, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Kodichi oooo…. Biko nu ’20 fts’ kilode…If you wave frantically dey’ll stop right in your front and not pass you by…Also I have not noticed the bar on every street but you are correct about the lack of strikingly handsome dudes…Do come back to Lagos quickly…Miss you!

• Mama

April 10, 2016 at 9:49 pm

The 20ft thingy was a bit of exerguration…Something to make the article interesting I guess…Same Abk wey I know, every cab will want to stop in front of you and ask where you are off too..Plus the cool ones know themselves, you just have to somehow find the click it all depends on how cool you are

• uche

April 13, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Loool, are you sure Anu?

23. 'Deola

April 10, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I enjoyed your write-up. You look like a goddess on top of that hill in the picture. Abeokuta should hold some historic treasures. If I remember correctly, Buhari mentioned he began his military career in the place. Some notable people that have affected Nigerian history grew up there. People like Abiola, Wole Soyinka, Shonekan, Kuti’s and some brilliant lawyers come from there.

If I were you I will read Wole Soyinka’s “Ake: The Years of Childhood,” just to get a sense of how to connect with the place through someone’s eye, and also visit Obasanjo’s presidential library and get to know where Funmilayo Kuti ( Fela’s mother) grew up . And also the Oba’s (Alake of Egba land) palace.

I hope you have a great service year.

24. oliver

April 10, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Very interesting read….it was more to elicit humour than to judge the ancient city so let’s not nag over the essence of Nysc or need to talk of economic prowess….The descriptions are quite accurate albeit the humour…nice one. Just don’t let Amosun see it and withhold your alawee from aboveabove..lol

• Mama

April 10, 2016 at 9:44 pm

She did exergurate a bit tho.. I laughed at the part she said “maybe the gods come to twerk at 3am” or something like that..lol…Madam, what are you still waiting for at 3am in the club?…lol…Things aren’t that bad there tho. I was brought up in that city you know.

25. Great Lady

April 10, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Madam what are you still doing in a club by 3pm?

26. uncensored

April 10, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Let me tell you all a secret;
    Port-harcourt is overrated too.
    I served there and I almost choked on my own disappointment.
    ‘kodichi’ when you get to PH, you’ll be grateful you served in abeokuta. They have no shoprite either, just spar and 3cinemas with a mall that’s all. This is not a shade pls, I met some wonderful lifetime friends there but it’s just beneath what we are made to believe i.e Lagos, Abuja and PH trio na lie!

• Kosi

April 10, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Oh BN commenters, how I love thee! “Choked on your own disappointment”! That’s epic.

27. Hian

April 10, 2016 at 6:37 pm

28. swerve

April 10, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Igbos and their wahala..anywhere they go, they wanna discredit yorubas. Rubbish

29. orji uchechukwu

April 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm

osheeyyy abk! abeg catch the goats kill them. is it not its mates that are inside the pot? enjoy yourself jare baby boo.

30. Dear Dee

April 10, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Abeokuta and its funny area names..Onikolobo, Obantoko, Iyana Motuary, Panseke, Oke ilewo…..its a cool place..a good balance between Lagos and Ibadan

31. 'Deola

April 10, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Let us all appreciate her article and another person’s perspective without it becoming an ethnic wahala.

I enjoyed her article and here is a link of another perspective. I think a place is easier to connect with when you read its history, how it came to be and about its illustrious sons and daughters.

phronesisblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/my-abeaokuta-experience/

32. Stige

April 10, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Well, Abeokuta, where I’m writing from right now is the best place to be. The Igbo guys selling here in peace have no complaints whatsoever, they’ve been here for ages. They don’t even see the negative pictures you are trying to paint the city, Miss Corper. All I have to say is that, it’s a place to be and a resting place for hard working people from either Lag or any part of the East. I have been to some parts of the East before. I was treated well, they are also good people. it’s all good. If you are in Abeokuta either as Corper Kodichi or you are an indigen, add me on WhatsApp for friendly chat 07050998254 let’s connect.

33. Stige

April 10, 2016 at 8:12 pm

That tall building with rough roof used to be my old church. It was cut I half by the state government to give way to the road expansion just concluded. We now have a new site in just a stone throw to the old building.

34. ElessarisElendil

April 10, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I’ve never been to Abeokuta, but judging from the picture and the article, looks like a quiet laid back sleepy town with a sense of history. Just the sort of place I’d love. How’s their NEPA situation??

35. Hassan

April 10, 2016 at 8:52 pm

These ppl lol, write about their own dead neck of wood where no one wants to go and hell will break loose but they are always eager to have a say about other’s but still won’t stop trooping to this same place they hate so much, i don’t get it

36. Willy Herbert Willy

April 10, 2016 at 9:01 pm

You can write joor!!!

amaghi ihe ndia na akor

37. Fantastic

April 10, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Yayy Abk! I also served there in ’14. The cabs are cheap, the people are accomodating & nice, there’s hardly ever traffic. There’s a cinema at intercontinental suites. Lots of cool hangout spots at Ibara. A lot of places you can go swimming. A lovely well equipped tennis club. 24/7 light at Ewang Estate, Lukosi and Hilltop estate. Foodstuffs are quite cheap. I found cool kids but u need to go around with an open mind & you’ll meet very nice awesome people (mostly fellow corpers). Salon services are very affordable too. Also, the Park Inn restaurant owned by Radisson Blu is very lovely. They have very good pizza. You should try going to “Bamboo” & Obansanjo’s lounge opposite NNPC…. I had Isi Ewu while I stayed in Abk. Take your time and explore with an open mind. Being an igbo girl that has spent all her years in Lagos I felt exactly how you’re feeling but at the end it turned out to be a very memorable NYSC experience & yeah Shoprite is being built opposite OPIC. Enjoy the rest of your service year!

38. Culture lover

April 10, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Ignorant piece… Quite shallow too

39. Nuna

April 10, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Jesus u are people so defensive?? Nigerians are so quick to go tribalistic once they see articles like these. Please you people should calm all the way down. A lot of places in EVERY part of the country is a lot like she described. I grew up in Enugu and I could say thesame about it. Please you all need gallons of coke to chill.

40. lin

April 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Goodness! I’ve missed BN so muc.. been a while since i checked in here, after moving to the US last month..hello BNaijarians! missed y’all!

Ok.. interesting article. Had my service in abk what since 2011/12, seems so long ago.. while i wasn’t particularly accustomed to the slow pace of life there, i found it was a breath of fresh air from the the fast-paced hectic pace of life in Lagos.. so i considered the year a resting period, like a vacation, got a lot of sleep, put on some weight i think, took time to learn more about myself, hung out with friends particularly on Thursdays after CDS. These helped alleviate boredom. I also ensured i visited olumo rock and went to a club around stadium once with friends. Altogether it was a peaceful, restful, sabbatical-sort of year for me. Relished the experience!

41. Ogunblogger

April 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm

@writer or anyone serving in Abeokuta, you can give me a call/message me on whatsapp 08062102746, I will gladly show you some fun places here in Abeokuta, its not as bad as you say it is tho. And trust me there are super kool kids here lol too.

42. Welz

April 11, 2016 at 12:47 am

To say I am impressed by this write up is the understatement of the year! Humorously written without a dull moment. The author is conveying her experience of life in another city having been resident in lagos all her life. I can’t wait to see the breathtaking hills and valleys while avoiding the whips of the twerking ojujus in abk. Big ups baby sis….the sky is the limit

• kodi

April 11, 2016 at 8:33 am

Awww!! Egbon mi ese gaan!

43. chi-e-z

April 11, 2016 at 1:45 am

brah some ppl be taking this tribal pickin eish 2 a whole nother level no body can say their mind or write some small thing without the You blank people have come again statement. like ain’t no body gat time 4 all dat. A city chick is a city chick let her breath. dang nawa 4 sm ppl oh

44. Busola

April 11, 2016 at 2:00 am

As a girl born and bred in Abeokuta, this article, whilst amusing, is a shade snarky. Trust me, there are plenty of cool kids around but being a town where people roll with their cliques, if you’re not with that crowd it may seem boring at first.

It’s easy on your pocket which for a corper should be the biggest plus, and if you have a problem chasing cabs 20m (exaggeration definitely) shout drop, they’ll queue in front of you and it’ll still be cheaper than Lagos transport. Food is good, electricity supply better and its serene. I still haven’t gotten used to the Lagos noise level (its 2am and the noise from my neighbours generator is keeping me up *sideeye*).

Try Green Legacy, Park Inn by Radisson and Continental Suites for classier hangouts and you’ll find an excessive amount of swimming pools, tennis courts and the like if you are into sports. Plus there’s a really cool hill top golf course, though you’ll need to be invited by a club member. And have you never heard the saying, “Nothing good ever happens after 2am?”, ’nuff said!!!

All in all Abeokuta is never going to be a replica of Lagos, but its own brand of charm will grow on you (inserts Matti Eleja Tutu – a very on point point and kill joint). Try finding friends first to discover the town with, its not as bad as you think. After all, it’s never really about where you are, but who you’re with…

• Busollla

April 11, 2016 at 11:36 am

Thanks jere namesake, i’m an indigene of Abk and totally unimpressed by the condescending nature of this article. You could try being funny but still positive not shading at every possible turn

45. Koffie

April 11, 2016 at 2:35 am

Honey, you’re looking in all the wrong places. I’ll ignore the condescending tone of your write up and address some of your issues.
    You won’t find the cool kids you desire to mingle with in the areas you mentioned. Maybe go to Ewang estate, Ibara estate or hilltop. You’ll find a few in Park Inn by Raddison Blu or Obasanjo’s Bamboo. Also switch your church to that Winners chapel in Quarry or the Anglican Church in Ibara housing estate. I should warn you though, they’re not home year-round but those of us from there find that we always yearn to go back home.
    Isi ewu? Again go to Bamboo. I’ve eaten it from there before. I hear they also sell it at Iwe Iroyin.
    Clubs closing too early? I can’t help you there as I’m not a fan of clubbing but have you tried Richton’s club?
    Meeting eligible men. Like anywhere else, location matters. You can’t be looking for them in Panseke or Onikolobo. Good luck with that manhunt sha, you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for.
    Re the funny names, I used to quiz my mom on that. Apparently each of their locales have a history to their seemingly funny names. Sapon used to be a small market for bachelors (S’apon l’ore) literally translates into (doing bachelors a favour) etc.
    Before you’re done, be sure to try the shawarma at this hotel in Quarry (can’t remember the name) but you can’t miss it as it’s quite big. I have a friend who used to occasionally go to Abeokuta just for that sharwarma.
    Re the Shoprite situation, I can tell you for free they had been applying for landspace for years now and always got turned down by the powers that be. I can’t tell you why though.
    I understand how anyone from there would be slightly offended by your post given that a lot of us are fiercely defensive of our Egba city (yup, I said city). Don’t be fooled by the author’s pictures, there are many beautiful parts to the town she has chosen to ignore.

• Busollla

April 11, 2016 at 11:39 am

Thanks my co-Egba person 🙂 . You’ve helped her answer some questions she didnt even ask in her shady article. Just making shady assumptions upandan!

46. Great. ND

April 11, 2016 at 4:41 am

Well articulated, very funny. I understand.

47. Tosin

April 11, 2016 at 5:28 am

the pictures are nice.
    the writer is … young.

• Californiabawlar

April 11, 2016 at 8:50 am

Gbam! I’ll attribute it to youth. Else how can a person be in Abeokuta with all the culture and history and be looking to twerk at 4am? Me? I’ll be be too knackered after roaming the streets looking for Soyinkas birth place…mountain climbing….learning how to make adire…etc. lols.

I’m not from Abeokuta, but as a babe who grew up in a sleepy southwestern city, I feel the pain folks from there must be feeling right now.

Baby girl, this one wey you scatter shade everywhere, come post ya foto join…hope you don’t randomly get punched in the throat on the streets this week ?? Well, my guess is that you assume ‘Abk’ folks are not cool enough to come on BN ?

• Koffie

April 12, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Chop knuckle my sister. She’s a yung’un (I can’t even spell that but I’m keeping it). Why else would she be looking for who to twerk with after three am. I think my mum drummed “Saguna ki n rin osan, eni a b’ire ki n rin oru” into my ears way too many times. Most people live by that there…
      Abeokuta is definitely rich in culture and probably only artsy youths could fall in love with her. The theaters, galleries, art, libraries ati bee be lo. We probably even have the largest library in Nigeria (not school-affiliated), people from other races have been said to go there to study the culture and learn the history.

48. Tee

April 11, 2016 at 8:20 am

Ogun state is the state not Abeokuta dear. The same way you can’t compare PH to Abeokuta. Ogun state has the highest number on manufacturing companies in Nigeria. If you based your article on three street then you have nothing to say about the place. Read through the comments and see all what you are missing just because you refused to go look for those places or you’re just an ignorant that likes to throw shades here and there. Anyway, I hope your village have spa, clubs, shoprite, cinemas on every street too. Enjoy!

• Jules

April 11, 2016 at 11:05 am

Bow your head in shame. The constant need to go tribalistic is annoying!

49. Omoté

April 11, 2016 at 10:34 am

Ghenghen! They haff turned it to quarrel! Abeg it was a fun read for me. Didn’t sense any undertones, wondering how it became an east versus west article?

50. Edu

April 11, 2016 at 11:54 am

lol! at we don’t have a shoprite cos its not a megacity like lagos. Calabar, Uyo, Enugu, Ibadan, Owerri have shoprites.

• Debbie Ade

April 13, 2016 at 6:53 pm

And so????????? There are super markets that aren’t shop rite in Abeokuta btw. And what is shop rite sef? Isn’t it a grocery store?

51. NIRA

April 11, 2016 at 1:09 pm

People have lost all sense of humour, I swear! Why must everything be a ‘shade’? or racism , or tribalism?? Can’t we just read something on a light note, which I’m sure is what the writer intended? I wonder if we all read the same article up there?? May we stop looking for something to make an issue of, abeg!

52. Chinedu

April 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

@Tosin, dont forget cute as well. The open mindedness of the writer towards putting up such a wonderful piece should be extolled. Abeokuta Lagosians, this is a wake up call yo develop your place. Keep it Kodichi.

53. Cody

April 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Kodi! Kodi! Kodi!!

How many times I call you? Do ya service and pack your bags and go back go find ya mama and papa for where you been come from. Egba people dey give people belle easily o! Go ask OBJ how many e don impregnate. Late Abiola nko? The young Egba boys sabi pass them fathers o! Those pipu sabi dat thing wey no go make ya eye comot dere. Your mama and papa still want you back for Nnewi. So gbo?

• Debbie Ade

April 12, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Are you a human being???????? Seriously!!! Which kind of unintelligent contribution is this???? I am an Abeokuta girl and what you have written here is bull crap!!! Pure unadulterated horse manure!

54. TheLadyWithoutTheAfroLocs

April 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

lmao…i did my Uni in Abk….maybe u shld have been posted to the north…your mouth wont be this sharp *tongueout*
    shebi we are all playing ni? oya na.

55. uche

April 13, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Very nice Kodilia, very nice.

56. Don't make her the scapegoat for your issues.

April 15, 2016 at 2:59 pm

HUMOUR AND SATIRE are words.

(if you don’t know them, and clearly very many don’t) GOOGLE AND WIKTIONARY are your friends.

IT’S NOT THAT SERIOUS: is sound advice.

57. frmabeokuta

April 15, 2016 at 3:42 pm

So proud of my town omo ibo with your yeye article I served in Kontagora, Niger state can never compare it to Abk (Rockcity) pele omo Eko (Lagos State), maybe you should have posted to north or east you wont be so mouthy lol *kidding*

58. frmabeokuta

April 15, 2016 at 3:44 pm

***So proud of my town omo ibo with your yeye article I served in Kontagora, Niger state can never compare it to Abk (Rockcity) pele omo Eko (Lagos girl), maybe you should have been posted to north or east you wont be so mouthy lol *kidding*

59. weonlyhave2towns

April 15, 2016 at 4:00 pm

We only have 2 towns in Nigeria hun ABEOKUTA (Abk – rock city) and the rest. How dare you call my town a sleepy town please be bold enough omo Ibo to tell me about your town in East I dnt mind travelling down to stay there for a year and so to write an article and take a picture of your muddy houses in the East chai see the picture she posted onibaje laughhhhh. lol well written article dnt worry lagos is just an hour away if you want to club go to Lagos….our moralistic value in that town is high take it or leave it