News

Hospitality at its Finest! BN’s Adesola Experienced Southern Sun Ikoyi’s Delicious Seafood Extravaganza & Live Jazz Band

Hi BellaNaijarians, Adesola here!

If you follow @bellanaijaonline on Instagram then you’ve seen a sneak peek of my truly amazing time at Southern Sun Ikoyi. Let me tell you how it all went down. During the week I got a call about an amazing opportunity to visit Southern Sun Ikoyi for the very first time and enjoy their services and facilities.

I couldn’t turn it down!

So on Friday, after a particularly long day at work I was on my way to Alfred Rewane, excited to enjoy a day of relaxation and pampering. I got the chance to bring a friend along for the experience but I decided to be selfish and take some much needed alone time *chuckles*.

Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (2)

Home for 24 hours

Getting to Southern Sun Ikoyi, all that was going through my mind is how the hotel is described as this upscale hotel with “sophisticated rooms with warm wood furnishings and subdued tones feature free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs, plus safes, minibars, and tea and coffee making facilities”. I was really eager to see if it’ll live up to my expectations.

Checking in was super-easy and the guys at the front desk were so friendly. Maybe I was already giddy with excitement or maybe they made it easy to talk to them, but either way I spent a couple of minutes at the reception even after I got my room key just generally chatting with them. It was pretty cool.

Checking in :D

Checking in 😀

I got upstairs to my room and what did I see? A personalized letter and chocolates to welcome me! Yup.Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (5)Room View 1

First thing I always do in hotel rooms is to check the bathroom haha. This one was begging me to take a shower with that huge shower head…Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (12) Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (10) Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (15) Southern-Sun-Ikoyi-BellaNaija (16)

After my quick inspection I went down to take part in the Friday Seafood Extravaganza buffet complemented with a Live Jazz band.

The seafood extravaganza and jazz dinner happens every Friday so it was the perfect way to tune into the weekend.

Ok, let me not lie. One of the things I was looking forward to during my stay at Southern Sun Ikoyi was the Seafood Extravaganza. Yes, I’m a foodie…and a seafood enthusiast.

Not to make you guys jealous but the buffet was amazing and there was EVERYTHING. I kicked things off with a salad that literally had everything *side eye*. I’ve been on a small diet for the past couple of weeks but I was determined to indulge. My salad had chicken and calamari for my protein and I went hard on the vegetables with baby corn, lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado and more deliciousness.

I was able to get a quick photo before the dinner started

I was able to get a quick photo before the dinner started

Yum!

Yum!

Double yum!

Double yum!

I had a game plan for the buffet. I was determined to pace myself.

Honestly there was no rush, because by the time I started eating, the live band had started up with lovely jazz renditions. They did this thing were even modern songs were given a unique spin. I got to hear what Wizkid’s “Ojuelegba” would sound like if it was had jazz undertones. It was such a relaxing environment. By the time I finished my salad I had gotten my laptop and was really just chilling with a glass of long island iced tea.

For my second course I went in on the shrimps because there were so many varieties. They had crispy tempura battered shrimps, shrimp fried rice, sautéed shrimps, a spicy shrimp sauce and more. They also had lobsters. By the time I finished this meal I couldn’t even have any dessert. I was stuffed.

They wanted me to take a photo :)

They wanted me to take a photo 🙂

Lucky for me I got a chance to meet the sous chef after my meal and I enthusiastically told him how delicious everything was. He really appreciated the gesture.

With the sous chef after a delicious meal

With the sous chef after a delicious meal

I sat in the restaurant for a couple more minutes to enjoy the music from the band as they serenaded the guests with beautiful jazz songs.

Honestly guys, it’s an experience you’ve got to have for yourself.

After dinner I stepped outside for a couple of minutes to see a friend and I couldn’t resist getting a shot of the exterior of Southern Sun Ikoyi. It was beautiful.

Southern Sun Ikoyi Exterior Image 1

When I got upstairs to my room I had the best sleep that I’ve had in quite a while. I switched off my phones and just let myself enjoy the moment.

The next morning my experience with breakfast was just as thrilling. I’ve already told you that I am a foodie so don’t judge me okay?

I couldn’t think of anything better than the full English breakfast to start my day and it was right there. The best service in the restaurant, ably provided by pleasant and professional staff with wide brimming smiles and an eagerness to help.

I’ll definitely be going back to Southern Sun Ikoyi, especially for their seafood extravaganza and live jazz band experience. It’s the perfect chill zone.

After my night stay at Southern Sun Ikoyi, one thing I can say for sure is that even though it is more popular for being a “business hotel”, Southern Sun Ikoyi is also the perfect spot for a relaxing and luxurious evening. It’s a pretty awesome getaway spot for couples and a good place for you to get some alone time as well.

1. Omon A

May 3, 2016 at 5:27 pm

woow… lovely images .. i hope they taste as good as they look. …. i guess i will have to find that out myself…. SSIH see u soon.

2. Tt

May 3, 2016 at 5:29 pm

With all this big chicks nd boob u r still eating seafood.pele

• Toun

May 3, 2016 at 6:02 pm

if you have nothing nice to say, do you have to say anything? Why so rude?

• Pinkie

May 3, 2016 at 6:13 pm

lol. meanie

• LolaLovesTiwa

May 3, 2016 at 8:33 pm

But why are you such and asshole
      Like why?
      Would you say this to her face?

Who even approved of this venomous comment!?!

Please show us your own lean “chicks” (olodo oshi) and agbalumo seed boobs!
      Arindin jatijati oshi!

• le coco

May 4, 2016 at 6:21 am

bitterness will not kill you.. hotel invited her to come and stay and you are hating? what have you achieved in life? even tantalizer has not even invited you to come and eat for free ..and you are hating on someone else? who has ever invited you anywhere? please the next time you go to a buffet, dont eat ehn? be there looking… MTCHEW

• Jumoke

May 4, 2016 at 8:14 am

This comment by Tt shouldn’t have been published, BN! It’s rude and insulting and just generally mean. You shouldn’t abuse a woman with her body parts. That’s just not right. Pls, BN, scrutinize, edit, your comments before posting. You don’t have to post them all. But post this my own sha abeg.

3. Jennifer

May 3, 2016 at 5:31 pm

The hotel is the best in Ikoyi… as per food oooo….I stand to be corrected =.

4. Ifeanyi

May 3, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Love their Sunday brunch, very yummy for a foody like me. Cool and relaxed for environment for a weekend

5. Ajidabs

May 3, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Southern Sun in Ikoyi is truly a cool place. I hang out there with the boys on many friday nights before we hit the road. the music is cool, the food is absolutely delicious and the ambience is relaxing.

• dupri

May 3, 2016 at 7:17 pm

What’s your Instagram handle?

6. OlaOla

May 3, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Gotta get myself weekend stay at southern sun ikoyi ooo. I like the pics, food and room looking fab

7. Iyalode Og

May 3, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Elenu gbashoro , Big “cheeks” you mean?

Nice write up o Jare Adesola, I particularly loove the Live Band performances every Friday.

8. B.E

May 3, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Nice write up. A few bits which I think would be useful for us the readers:

-cost of the seafood buffet extravaganza
    -what time does it start and what time does it end?

Thanks

9. Laahlamoj

May 3, 2016 at 7:36 pm

@ B.E last time I went in for their seafood buffet with friends, it was just about N8k and starts from evening about 6pm’ish and ends very late at night.. Compared to the price of fine dining at any of the big restaurants in Lagos, I think the price isn’t too steep. Also considering its an all you can eat buffet, really rich and with a lot of variety. Hm! hungry already!!!.

• chef donatus

May 7, 2016 at 7:37 pm

seafood night start 7pm till 1030pm

• B.E

May 13, 2016 at 3:49 pm

10. Laahlamoj

May 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm

@ B.E last time I went in with friends, the friday seafood meal was about 8k, starts late evening about 6pm’ish and ends very late at night. Fair enough I think, when compared to prices for fine dining at other big’ Lagos restaurants. Anyway, for an all you can eat buffet, I think its fair. Hm…hungry much already o!!!

11. Hmoo

May 3, 2016 at 8:03 pm

awon haters!!!! abeg Adesola is very cute as she dey ooo. nice write up. the hotel sure looks fine.

12. www.thelmathinks.com

May 3, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Hey, glad you had fun, I’m green with envy. This seems to be a “sponsored post” so I’m thinking it would have been a lot better if you had gone armed with a good camera as it would have given the pictures much better quality and helped us to appreciate your beautiful experience a lot more.

I probably shouldn’t say this but I kinda scrunched my nose up at having the opportunity to bring a friend along but choosing to be selfish… Totally your prerogative and you definitely had your reasons but I’m sure you’ve got at least one good friend who would have enjoyed the experience too. Ok let me go back to minding my business…

• Sigh

May 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm

You hit every nail I wanted to hit. Right on the head.
      Agree with your entire comment from camera to nose scrunching, everything!

13. www.thelmathinks.com

May 3, 2016 at 8:46 pm

14. Asher

May 3, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Meanwhile…When all of you above me were talking about the hotel and the food… I was just here admiring the girl…Scrolling down to see the next available picture of her. Girl! You is fine!!!.

It’s not my fault sha… It’s not food and hotel that is hungrying me…. It’s *insert whatever your clean mind deems fit* here ?

15. Tunde Adedeji

May 3, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Nice! The food looks really tassstyyy

16. Chukwudi

May 4, 2016 at 1:28 am

Yup. Definitely a bit selfish. I mean who prefers to enjoy a free luxury experience alone? call me judgemental but if i was toasting a girl and she said that…Boom. i don leave you. it means you have nobody to giggle with as you stroll along airconditioned corridors of an all expenses paid experience. not a girlfriend? not even a guy? no one to compare opinions about the dumplings? or gist with in the swimming pool? na wa oh. Says more about your character than you imagined i bet. When i go on holidays i save up extra to cover at least half of my best friends cost as i earn more than him. its such an empty thing, hotel rooms. except you’re beethoven and you need space to compose the next great symphony..who goes to a hotel alone?

on another note sha…lets learn to give out stuff we don’t need. i have this friend who works in PR that gets tickets to almost all the shows. last year i went to his house and saw that he had four ticks to KAkaa the musical which he had dumped and were expiring that evening. i went on facebook and asked three random people to meet me at muson and i met them there and we had a blast.

I mean just share come on, especially when it is free.

• *Real* Nice Anon

May 4, 2016 at 2:30 am

A LOT of people prefer to enjoy luxury things alone. This is such a harsh comment and should be beneath you as an educated person(assuming you are of course). To judge her ENTIRE being based on this is simply small minded. Who even told you that she’d be interested in you at all for you to even dare to begin your comment with ” If I was toasting a girl and she said that…”. Your entitlement reeks as the the putrid maggot infested bile that it is. Women don’t exist for your approval of if you can or cannot get to know them in a romantic capacity. Let the girl live and enjoy herself however she deems fit. Deciding to do something like this alone doesn’t make her a horrible person. Your comment is extremely disrespectful and distasteful laced with a false sense of entitlement towards women. Miss me with all that. No one is here for ANY of it Sir!.

• Chukwudi

May 4, 2016 at 4:39 am

Welcome Adeshola. When you settle down and read the comment again you will realize it wasn’t as harsh as you imagined it.

In case you missed it it was a hypothetical scenario. Never said i was interested in the author. and also while we’re doing some missing you might want to miss me with all that false and fake guilt tripping feminist nonsense. You’re not a bigger feminist than i am. I said if i was asking a girl out and she told me that rather than share an experience she let a ticket booked and paid for go to waste..it would raise red flags. I don’t know how you got entitlement towards women. Because you’re forming feminist, a thing of which you have not the slightest clue about, does that now mean i’m not entitled to choose who i date?

My dear my message was about giving. i’m not saying dont walk into a hotel and have a luxury experience by yourself. The author had two “tickets” per se all expenses paid…and rather than share she let one go to waste.

MY dear that raises red flags for me. and i’m entitled to that opinion. it means you either have no friends at all…red flag, or you are actually so selfish that you will let a N100,ooo opportunity go to waste because you want it “all” to your self. my dear. those are red flags. and if i was gay and was toasting a guy…i would have the same reaction.

So aunty calm down. i never said you or she were a horrible person. it IS a little selfish to waste an already paid for N100,000 opportunity.

Cheers.

• Mr. Egghead

May 4, 2016 at 8:40 am

“Real” Nice Anon
      You really should get off your high horse and stop being a -. Remove the log in your eye before helping him with the speck in his eye.
      He described her actions as “a bit selfish”. I’m not sure where the disrespect and distaste seemed to come from. Can you claim to be totally selfless. How many people you don epp this year? How many? I dare you to answer honestly.
      He is entitled to his opinion just the same way you are entitled to yours. No matter what you think, there will be a woman somewhere who will desire his approval.
      Your chauvinism has prevented you from making any constructive argument without resorting to the popular BN past-time of man-bashing.

• Adaobi

May 4, 2016 at 8:46 am

Thank you very much. The way people become so judgemental on social media is so appaling. How do you leave the whole post and the reviews she went there for and start picking apart her whole being because of one statement she wrote? Is it because she wrote it? If she didn’t write it,will you know about her going alone? I don’t understand people and their entitled attitude. She chose to go there alone probably cos she didn’t want any distraction and after a hectic week,wanted a solo day of pampering. Shuo,should she now be crucified? What is wrong with taking time alone and being with yourself&enjoying your own company? Sometimes you don’t get to enjoy somethings as much when you have someone else with you because of lil’ distractions. Haba!!! Do you know her to know if she doesn’t go with family and friends to have these experiences other than this one? Enjoy the write up and if u want to go with your whole village when you decide to go,no one will stop you. Not start an epistle on someone’s character you don’t even know.

• Agro

May 4, 2016 at 8:30 am

Please stop! Sometimes one just wants a luxury night alone. I’m sure this isn’t her 1st or last opportunity to be with a friend considering she works for BN,
      Adeola I’m jealoux o 🙂

17. JGirl

May 4, 2016 at 9:00 am

A bit jealous o that more people now know of southern sun ikoyi and their amazing food. This has been my secret hideaway for a couple of years now. The hotel is really relaxing and they surely have a mean chef that can cook. Best hotel food in Ikoyi I think!

18. Lollyzo

May 4, 2016 at 11:55 am

I like this post very much. A lovely write up for a fine hotel

19. Jlo

May 4, 2016 at 12:01 pm

I agree. Nice write up, thumps up to Adesola, a really lovely hotel and the food looks yum!!!

20. Prince

May 4, 2016 at 3:50 pm

aren’t those boobs heavy enough. they look sexy tho