News

Judge Exonerates 81-year old Man Wrongfully Convicted of Murder Over 50 years ago

Paul Gatling wipes away tears at Brooklyn Supreme Court on May 2, 2016. Mark Lennihan/Associated Press

An 81-year old Virginia man known as Paul Gatling was on Monday exonerated of murder that he was alleged to have committed about 52 years ago.

“There’s a lot of water gone under the bridge, but the bridge is still standing,” Gatling said after the proceedings.

Gatling was sentenced to 30 years to life in prison in October 1964 for the murder of one Lawrence Rothbort who was a Brooklyn artist. After spending 9 years, he was commutated by Governor Nelson Rockefeller thanks to lawyer, Malvina Nathanson from the Legal Aid Society; and was released in January 1974 on parole.

Two years ago, Gatling happened to see an article in a local newspaper about the Brooklyn district attorney’s efforts to identify wrongful convictions.

He called on the lawyer who handled his commutation, and was told to write to the District Attorney. He did so, and an inquiry was set up which led to his exoneration on Monday.

“I wanted to be done with all of this. I was still angry about having to spend that time for something I didn’t do,” Gatling said in an interview.

Paul Gatling

Paul Gatling at his home in Virginia. He spent nine years in prison for a 1963 murder in which he was wrongly convicted. Credit: Courtney Manion for The New York Times

Gatling was convicted after the deceased’s wife identified him as the killer among 3 other suspects. From the investigations, Court papers said that the detectives directed her to pick “the tall one” (Gatling) among the suspects. His lawyers forced him to plead guilty in the middle of the trial, as it was clear that he was faced with the possibility of being sent to the electric chair.

“The cops told me they would make sure I was convicted and the lawyers said they were going to execute me. I was a young black man. With the white, pregnant wife in front of an all-white jury pointing me out, it was over,” Gatling siad.

The investigation by the Conviction Review Unit later discovered that the said wife was having an affair with a musician named Leon Tolbert who told investigators that he overheard her telling the deceased that she will kill him if he ever hit her again.

Investigators had to dig up case files from the city archives and track down copies of police reports on microfiche at 1 Police Plaza. They found that Gatling had been denied many of the legal protections that defendants take for granted these days — the presence of a lawyer during questioning, for example.

Gatling says that now that he has been cleared, he wants to cast his vote in the November presidential elections, which has been denied him before he passes away. He lamented the fact that he couldn’t vote in America’s first black president.

Sources: New York Times | Independent

1. xplorenollywood.com

May 4, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Wow… when I watch stuff like this on shows like SVU and the likes my blood boils but the truth is the police officers can be so convinced nothing like logic gets thru to them. I hope he gets good compensation which doesn’t make a difference though but he spends the rest of his life doing what he loves! Cheers

2. ElessarisElendil

May 4, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Wow, hope there’s some sort of compensation, guess this is why regardless of anger we should be hesitant in dealing the death penalty.

• Leah

May 4, 2016 at 11:58 pm

This is exactly why the death penalty should be suspended especially for those convicted before DNA evidence. There are a lot of African Americans behind bars for crimes they did not commit based on prejudice of both victims and law enforcement, and you have years worth of case files backed up. I think every one of those cases should be looked at before anyone killed.

3. sugaplum

May 4, 2016 at 10:24 pm

This just breaks my heart, I’m thankful he didn’t stay the whole 30years behind bars though, that would have just been heart wrenching. May God help the wrongfully convicted, especially in Nigeria. Amen.

4. Freedom of Expression, so say your own

May 4, 2016 at 10:36 pm

This is so sad; Justice is important for everyone, but it is important that the system gives a fair trail so that mistakes like this do not keep happening, and that is why I will hopefully always be against the death penalty.

5. Random

May 5, 2016 at 1:41 am

What a huge shame,……only God can compensate this man. The injustices done against people of color reeks of evil but God will judge every single one of us…..

6. Zandyzay

May 5, 2016 at 1:55 am

A country with a working system in place. Good record keeping and retrieval.

7. Ephi

May 5, 2016 at 9:07 am

Racism at its peak. I hope he sues them.

8. Rook.

May 5, 2016 at 10:23 am

This is why we must say no 2 jungle justice in nigeria.

9. Me

May 5, 2016 at 3:43 pm

And this America, that every where you go, every step you take, “convicted felon” will follow you around. Poor grandpa. It is well with you. May your latter days be better than the former in Jesus name. I’m thanking God that your story is ending well.