Music

“After the transplant I started seeing possibilities of living up to 50 and even beyond” – Read OJB Jezreel’s Heartbreaking Last Interview

OJB Jezreel

Ace music producer OJB Jezreel passed on this morning at the age of 49 but on Sunday he had an interview with NETng’s Adedayo Showemimo. The interview was done as part of his plans for a grand celebration of his 50th birthday in July. Unfortunately it was to be his last interview, with the 50th birthday just around the corner.

In the interview OJB talks about how he helped shape the Nigerian music industry, his health, his family and much more. The interview was held on Sunday, June 12, 2016 at OJB’s house on Gbaja Street in Surulere Lagos.

According to Adedayo, “I met OJB in his parlour. He laid on a bed right in the centre of the living room with his kids around him. OJB looked frail and was a shadow of his old bubbly self.”

See excerpts below.

On turning 50: Turning 50 was something I used to look at as an age that’s very far away, but here it is today. It just makes you see that the people that took the responsibility of fathering your generation at that time have done their part and it’s our turn to take over from them and take care of the next generation. That’s what I see, a lot of responsibilities because now it’s obvious that people will actually look up to you.

On how his transplant changed his view on life: Well, when the health challenge came, I won’t lie to you, I was a bit worried, but after the transplant, I started seeing things differently and I started seeing possibilities of living up to 50 and even beyond.

On his plans for life after 50: I hear most people turn 50 and say things like ‘I’ll get closer to God’, so I always wonder. Really, you don’t have to hit the age of 50 before you should get close to God, what if you don’t live up to 50? For me, there’s really nothing that’ll change. Like I said earlier, the only thing is the fact that you can’t be found competing with anyone. You should be more of the advisory person. You should let people know that there’s a ladder to climb, that there’s more to what they see. One minute you are at the top, the next minute it’s somebody else, and a lot of people have not been able to manage such situations. I just believe that 50 gives you an opportunity to be more constructive with your life. Some say life begins at 40, for some of us I think life actually begins at 50.

On if he has regrets: Looking back, I see no regrets because I see things from a more spiritual point of view. I think it was destiny that led me into music, it wasn’t accidental. We might think we are the ones orchestrating it, but there’s a higher force. If I had the choice to choose another career path, I’m sure it’ll still be within the entertainment industry. When you are younger you see a lot of regrets, but when you are older you see the regrets as things that shaped your life to become who you are and that’s what makes you an elder with experience.

On how he wants to celebrate his 50th birthday: I think the first thing I really want to do is to have a quiet moment with my family, because as you are aware from 2013 till now it’s been a rolling stone of challenges health-wise and for some reasons I’m still alive, so that day, I really don’t want too much noise and celebration. I just want it to be a day for myself, family and God. But after that day, we can turn up and paint the town all the colours you want (laughs).

On his family: Well, I have three wives and eight children. My first son is a graduate of Unilag, the second one is in her second year, my 3rd child is in OAU studying Mass Communication and the others are all still in school. I look at them and see them as my proud achievements not the Bentleys and Rolls Royce.

On his friends in the industry: It’s very difficult to mention names of loyal friends in the industry because I never set out looking for such people when I started. I was never conscious of such, that’s why I probably appear as a lone ranger. It’s as I grew older in the industry that I started to understand the value of loyalty. But people have always said Jazzman is OJB’s best friend. For me I’ll say we are more or less like brothers. We fight like brothers, we argue like brothers, so I think he’s about the only one with whom I’ve been able to take it beyond the regular industry friendship.

On how he reacts when he sees rumours about his death: Most people say when they carry such news about you, it means the person will have long life but me I don’t know about that one o. (laughs). The truth is, people feel there’s a trend, and they expect things to always follow that trend, so when it doesn’t happen that after 3 years he dies, people get shocked and such news always flies. So when I hear such news I never get bothered, but some times because we are all human, it gets to me and I get scared and when I have a little headache or stomach pain I begin to get extra worried but then it’s all good.

For more from the interview, click here.

1. Dele

June 14, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Rip,death is a debt we all must pay

• Lola

June 14, 2016 at 2:38 pm

No. Death is not a debt for me. Jesus paid it and surrending our lives to him will remove the sting of death. For those who will see God and live when we leave this temporary earth, death has been swallowed up in victory. We should all decide to be on the Lord’s side. It is the only way God has made for man. That is what my Bible tells me and it is the absolute Truth!

• Woman of God

June 14, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Gbam!!! Thanks Lola! you have spoken well!!!

• Akin

June 14, 2016 at 6:03 pm

You are so right lola…I was in danger plane do other day and we had a turbulence..I was scared of death and then I bowed down and pray…and d Lord gave me peace. Am so grateful my mum taught us about the Lord.

• Fact

June 15, 2016 at 12:28 am

Lola, It’s a debt….everyone will die physically…..spiritual death is a different matter.
      If you’re not in debt try pulling a trigger to your head and see what happens…….

And no matter your spiritual nuances, if you’re not a good person you will die spiritually too.

• shurlar

June 15, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I just love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Thanks for reaffirming dis.
      God bless u more

• NationalSquirrel

June 14, 2016 at 5:44 pm

What debt???? Who are we owing?
      In your mind you have made one addage
      So unprofound

2. nene+

June 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm

So heartbreaking.
    Can we really know the chance of living long after transplant?

• Peaches77

June 14, 2016 at 6:15 pm

I know someone currently doing 15 years post transplant living in Nigeria here. I know others above 10 yrs and I know some others doing less than 10 yrs as well?. Possibilities!!

3. Bisi Johnson

June 14, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Oh no!!! RIP OJB Jezreel. My much heart felt condolences to the family.
    Oh dear

4. olamikuye

June 14, 2016 at 3:08 pm

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE……………………..YEA……THAT WAS HOW CHAZ B TOO DIED FEW YWARS AFTER THE TRANSPLANT…….SAD…REALLY SAD

5. Jenwi

June 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm

RIP. but 3 wives??????????????

6. why

June 14, 2016 at 3:33 pm

The rate at which people are dying is frightening. God have mercy on us all please. May we not die young and may sickness not be any of our families or our portion. Not because we deserve it i but merely because of your grace Lord God. Amen. May he RIP.

7. Eyitayo

June 14, 2016 at 3:54 pm

RIP

8. Michael

June 14, 2016 at 4:34 pm

i feel really sad about his death. He really tried to stay alive,with the transplant. But God really knows best. RIP OJB!

9. NationalSquirrel

June 14, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Life they say is short kai.

10. olu

June 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

don’t be scared of death but prepare for it…. rip ojb.

11. Eniola enitan

June 14, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Nawa o,the at which people are dying is scaring

12. Dskywizzy

June 14, 2016 at 8:00 pm

rest in perfect peace boss,,naija music industry and all artists/musicians will miss yhu,,#with tears,,

13. Archieranking

June 14, 2016 at 9:53 pm

We all die one day he has left dis miserable world to rest bro God be with ur family n give u alijanat fridau ameen

14. Death is debt

June 14, 2016 at 10:47 pm

It is appointed for man to die and after that judgement,the fake Lola fooling himself please don’t die of foolishness

15. Seun

June 14, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Fake Lola,woman of God,fake akin,you are the same person,you brought tribalism to death comments also,beware ..

16. Sola

June 14, 2016 at 10:54 pm

The dead in the Lord will rise,death is a debt for all living thing

17. All

June 14, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Tribalism and hate will remove some foolish ones soon,death is a debt we all must pay,no one will live for ever,

18. Sope

June 15, 2016 at 1:14 am

Why do people react falsely to name ?with no respect for the dead?Heb 9:27 It has been destined to die once and after that to face judgement,don’t be caught up with response to Name via hate by the judgement of God.

19. LETTY

June 15, 2016 at 6:27 am

KIDNEY DISEASE IS TAKING THE LIVES OF SO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE IN NIGERIA…ESPECIALLY YOUNG PEOPLE….NIGERIA HAS BEEN INUNDATED WITH A FLOODGATE OF ARTIFICIAL FOODS AND DRINKS…WE IMPORT PRESERVATIVE LADEN GOODS WITH FOOD COLORING AND ALL KINDS OF ADDITIVES…CHINA HAS BOMBARDED OUR MARKETS WITH HARMFUL DRINKS, CANDY AND WHATEVER ELSE….THE DAYS WHEN FOOD IN NIGERIA WAS ORGANIC PURE AND NATURAL ARE ALMOST GONE…LET’S WATCH WHAT AND HOW WE EAT…AND GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF US

EVERY SINGLE HUMAN WILL FACE THEIR MAKER..THE QUESTION IS ARE WE READY? DEATH LOST ITS STING WHEN JESUS DIED ON THE CROSS…WE JUST GET TRANSLATED INTO GLORY!!!

20. Obhuo Obebinaru Favour

June 15, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Nigerians and their attitude of bringing their stupid CRAZEtian/MUMUslim doctrines to every issue. “Death is not a debt… The BuyBULL says… Our lord has…” blah blah blah. What a delusion. Bunch of imbecilic HYPOcrites!
    #OJB has done his part, Nature took him to rest eternally and ALL human beings must DIE someday. My condolences to his family.

21. usher

June 16, 2016 at 5:08 am

Olowo ma kun talaka ma kun ere kini fun eniyan to jere gbogbo aiyeyi to wa so emin re nun ,all I want you to know is that no one live forever in this world, but our bus/stop is far different, may him soul rest in peace