BN TV

Sisi Yemmie Addresses Child Sexual Abuse in A New Vlog

BN TV

One of Sisi Yemmie‘s subscribers sent a request asking her to address a really sensitive topic, “Child sexual abuse” and how to move on from it.

The person in question went visiting a family friend at the age of 6 and while sleeping at night, she was raped by her cousin. At that time she did not know what was going on but now that she is grown and understands what went on at that time, she’s asking if  she should tell her parents about the incident.

Watch the vlog here:

1. LOL

June 26, 2016 at 9:15 pm

BN, the title of this article is not inappropriate as reads as if Sisi Yemi says she’s the one that was abused at age 6 rather than a reader of hers.

• Abi

June 26, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Exactly…[email protected],abeg edit this heading.thank u

• Pshewww

June 26, 2016 at 9:55 pm

This BN is getting more annoying by the day. Sensationalism at its finest. I go kuku go SDK and LIB Na!

• Nonsense

June 26, 2016 at 10:25 pm

BN has become really desperate for traffic these days. Shady tactics.

BellaNaija.com

June 27, 2016 at 2:22 am

This is a very serious topic so we will rather focus on the topic at hand. However, it is important to note that Sisi Yemmie’s actual title of her YouTube video is “I was Sexually Abused at 6”.
      The original title of the post was exactly aligned with her vlog title.

2. Melyleby

June 26, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I believe, correct me if I’m wrong that the sponsors (sisi yemmie in this case) dictate the headlines not bella Naija. Their job is to post it exactly as the client dictates unless the headline is extremely distasteful bella has to follow its clients orders. Besides there’s nothing new here hide lines need to grab your attention otherwise you wouldn’t have even bothered with these your comments. Take a chill pill guys.

3. Feng

June 26, 2016 at 11:58 pm

It sounds like I wrote the letter to her but it is not. This is because I also was sexually abused by an ‘uncle’ that stayed with us. I was abused from what I can remember from 5-8years. I almost saw it as a regular thing. As at then, I knew something was wrong, but I couldn’t pin what exactly. Although he never penetrated me, he did every unbelievable thing to me.

At 8yrs, when we moved out from that state to the capital. I was the happiest child ever. I even started packing my clothes in a nylon bag. Fast forward to when I was 10, I knew everything about sex, I discovered what happened to me, but It did not click. I said ‘well, at least, he is never going to do that’. I had my first boyfriend when I was 14, and I lost my virginity to my first boyfriend at 16. From then on, I slept with a couple of guys, and that was because I felt like people never were interested in me for my me, but only to have sex. I was never comfortable being with a guy or man alone, but in some circumstances, I had no choice. So, I thought why not give it up. I remember my last boyfriend I had appreciated me for who I was and never for once tried to take advantage of me, and I was so surprised. I thought he was not attracted to me. Then we broke up.

Eventually, I reflected on that period when my ex just liked me for me and not my body, and at that moment, I knew something was messed up with my mindset. I started to trail back why I felt this way towards the opposite sex, and somehow it went back to how I was sexually abused when I was younger. Abuse has a way of messing your mindset. I will admit I was promiscuous at quite an early age, but nobody knew. I was so secretive. If I tell any of my old friends or family how I was then, no one will ever believe me. I was that secretive.

I am 23yrs old now, and I thank God for opening my eyes to discover how messed up I was at 21yrs. However, the abuse did not affect my studies as I have continued to excel in school even right now during my graduate degree that I will be rounding up soon. However, I still have a low-self esteem sometimes, but I have come a long way in building my confidence. I am determined not to remain celibate until marriage, and will only settle with a guy that is crazy in love with me and respects my body and soul.

BellaNaija.com

June 27, 2016 at 3:01 am

Thanks for sharing @feng
      Glad you are taking steps towards building your self esteem and also glad your academics are on track.
      You may want to consider seeing a professional counsellor as well.
      Sending positive vibes your way.

• Feng

June 27, 2016 at 3:28 am

I am determined to remain celibate until marriage*…

• tunmi

June 27, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I am so happy for you. Sexual abuse has a predictable way of showing its effects. I’m glad you are able to get better. I’m glad I was able to get out. Truly, it’s not strangers we should be wary about. Yes, keep away from strangers but keep a closer eye on family.

4. observe much

June 27, 2016 at 1:25 pm

This topic is a very sensitive one in the nigerian society. The most sensitive part of it is the fact that most nigerian parents do not know how to handle this topic. While some may get the perpetrator(s) arrested, or punished in some kind of way, it does not help the psychological and emotional wellbeing of the child involved.
    Speaking from experience, my parents did their best to make sure I was separated from the ‘extra ‘ male figures in my life including cousins. I was made to share a room with our maid in the spirit of treating every one equally. In my own story of sexual abuse, I was molested from when I was around 5-6 by our maid, an innocent looking adolescent. There was no penetration but things happened. I learned to avoid her and she let me be. I remember feeling like I had let God down as I was brought up in a very spiritual home. Along the line I stopped doing well in school all the way to secondary school and I felt it was God’s way of punishing me and the worst part was that I couldn’t tell anyone. I also attended an all girls boarding school and I didnt even know how I was meant to feel towards girls.
    Finally , about 7 years after this incident , I was promoted on trial and I made up my mind to tell my mum. You see, I felt God was punishing me and that when I confessed, every thing will be okay. I told her as she drove me home from boarding school. She asked, “did blood come out” and I said no, and more than 10 years later, she’s never brought the topic up. I found out she told my dad when I failed my next exams again, he said, “later you’ll say someone touched you”; my heart broke.
    Fast foward to today, I was able to break free from that dark cloud of guilt, I was able to accept that what happened was not my fault and God could never punish me for what someone else did to me. Academically I got better and last year I graduated with a 2.1. I’m not completely healed as sometimes I feel I’m a little frigid but I’m doing much much better.

• tunmi

June 27, 2016 at 3:43 pm

That just renews the pain. How could he say something so carelessly. Keep working on yourself, you will get there. Just remember, you had no fault in this. The maid was probably sexually assaulted too. It’s a very sick cycle

• Chu

June 27, 2016 at 5:05 pm

My God, he actually said something like that?
      Our parents did not know how to deal with these issues, I pray we shall be better at handling our kids and give them room to come to us with anything on their mind.

• Anonymous

June 27, 2016 at 8:06 pm

No offence but it irritates me when I get the our parents didn’t know how and all excuses for many failed parents. I lived with my parents and the only difference between an orphan on the streets and me was that the orphan knew he was an orphan and had to step up and I was foolish enough to assume I had loving caring guardians.

Stop making excuses for failed parenting abeg. Stop with the they didn’t know better because a whole lot of them actually knew better.