News

#AltonSterling: Protests Break out after Baton Rouge Cops Fatally Shoot Black Man | Video Surfaces

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

It’s sad to wake up to news like this.

According to reports, Alton Sterling is the 558th person killed by cops in 2016.

Who is Alton Sterling?

Alton Sterling is a 37-year old black man that was fatally shot and killed by Baton Rouge cops yesterday night in front of a convenience store. He was a father of five and a husband.

Alton Sterling & Family

Alton Sterling & Family

Alton Sterling

Alton Sterling

Alton Sterling 2

How did he die?

According to reports from USA Today, an autopsy shows Alton Sterling died of multiple gunshot wounds to the chest and back. He was outside the convenience store selling CDs and was confronted by the police. He was fatally shot during the confrontation with the police.

According to reports, officers responded to the store about 12:35 a.m. Tuesday after an anonymous caller suggested a man selling music CDs and wearing a red shirt threatened him with a gun. Two officers responded and had some type of altercation with the man and one officer fatally shot him.

Who were the officers?

The officers have not been identified but both officers have been placed on administrative leave while investigations are going on.

The Response

The response from the #BlackLivesMatter community has been huge. There have been several protests following the shooting and things quickly escalated when a video surfaced on social media of the shooting.

In front of the Triple S Store

In front of the Triple S Store

Twitter has exploded with people (black and white) calling for justice and transparency in the case.

The Video

The video evidence of  will be seen by some as gruesome. It is an emotional trigger and deeply disturbing that a man who was pinned on the ground can get shot five times. Five times.

If after seeing the tweets you want to watch the video, it is still circulating online.

1. Bodunade

July 6, 2016 at 8:23 am

Black lives don’t matter.
    Mother, mother
    There’s too many of you crying
    Brother, brother, brother
    There’s far too many of you dying
    Picket lines and picket signs
    Don’t punish me with brutality
    Talk to me, so you can see
    Oh, what’s going on?
    #MG

2. miini

July 6, 2016 at 8:25 am

I just saw the video and it’s extremely sad, extremely. They had him pinned to the ground and then shot him at point blank range. Pray tell, what is that if not pure hate and murder? If the police department sweeps this under the carpet even with this damning video then there is is really no hope.

3. Kukks

July 6, 2016 at 8:49 am

Umunne m in America, especially those you who disappeared misteriously with tourist visa….. y’all had better start sending money for your 1 bedroom apartment. If Trump mistakenly wins this tin, best believe it is checkmate! And black Americans are not left out. Please choose between the 2 lesser evils (Hilary)?

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

July 6, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hillary who collected $20,000 as campaign funds from KKK? Keep buying her lies

4. Jo

July 6, 2016 at 9:00 am

Again? This is just sad

5. FinchleysFinest

July 6, 2016 at 10:12 am

I couldn’t see the video thill the end.. It was too much to take in….

6. LemmeRant

July 6, 2016 at 11:25 am

*Spits Out*

558th black person to be murdered by the police.

7. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

July 6, 2016 at 12:23 pm

This extremely disgusting and infuriating. This has nothing to do with politics cause whether Trump or Hillary wins it’s not going to change anything right now, we have a fellow black man as presidents and he’s been there for 8 years and we’ve had more cops killing black people than we had during Bush and Clinton put together. What has he done nothing except try to take away guns from civilians? so the trigger happy cops and terrorists who always will have illegal supply are the only ones left with guns and we are basically at the mercy of everyone. Look at all the major gun crimes that have happened so far including Orlando, they have all happened in gun-free States I’ll like to see some funky fool try killing at least 10 people without getting shot first in Mississippi or Nevada or any other gun friendly state. All we need now is laws that puts cops like these on a death row.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

July 6, 2016 at 2:47 pm

are*

8. Nakoms

July 6, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Foolish country. Nothing like being in my country hardship and all, but knowing that I am not a second class citizen.

• Biker Chic

July 6, 2016 at 1:54 pm

@Nakoms, you shamed me. My apologies too. I am just crazy like that.

• MadamSomebody

July 6, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Liked your comment in error. When will you people stop with this second class citizenship jab? It’s stale. In Nigeria, cops kill innocent people everyday and NOTHING is done about it. At least people are raising their voices in protest in America. In Nigeria, there would likely not be video evidence even. Enough please!

• Teniola

July 6, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Madam somebody at least you can retaliate and kill the olopa just like it happened some weeks ago. Try retaliate in Europe or America. I white cop equates to 100 black men. They’ll just use drone and clear the whole black neigbhour hood including colletral damages. Black’s in eutope/America are not 2nd class citizen not even 4th or 10th class they are the lowest of the low. Black Americans are not even classed as citizens. Read the 14 amendment to the US constitution. Begin to realise why Obama is the first Black president of US.

• Anon

July 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm

My sentiments exactly.

9. Amh

July 6, 2016 at 2:13 pm

America. Land of the oppressed. A 10th world below Africa. No human right s for people of color. No security
    No protection no free health nothing. Good for the whites. Sacks and deranged people. Its pure genocide against blacks. Obama a big sorry of an excuse. He’s more interested in transgender homo peadophilia and those cursed things. Africa is 1 million times better than America. The America projected is all lies. Evil country.

10. Yes Ke

July 6, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Where are all the American refugees that will not let us drink water on this blog. Naija is bad, naija is bad at least it is home.

11. LemmeRant

July 6, 2016 at 5:00 pm

What pains me the most is when these “White people” come to Nigeria or other african countries and they’re being treated like God.

Nigerian leaders are ready to ass kiss any white skin at the expense of their own people. And the americans will still open mouth and say We are not racist.

558 Shior. Let another country do something similar, That’s when they’ll remember human rights.

Awon were jatijati.

12. Anon

July 6, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Hummmmm. The one thing I began to appreciate after living abroad for a while is the realisation that having an identity as a black man is very very important. We might be fantastically corrupt but we govern ourselves albeit corruptly but I anit no one’s nigger. My walk the way I talk changes soon as I land in MY OWN COUNTRY. A black NATION governed by blacks. Yep they got good health care, school food but the black man abroad lives in constant intimidation. It gets tiring after a while. You need to be able to go somewhere to celebrate being a proud black man for me that’s coming home for them there is no escape. They end them like dogs on the street. And they keep counting. If I were a black American I’ll find my roots. It gets tiring being an underdog fighting a system hell bent on culling yall black asses. May his soul rest in peace like all the others before him.

13. Osaretin

July 7, 2016 at 5:38 am

Just heartbreaking

14. Yinda

July 7, 2016 at 6:08 am

I seriously believe that they are people in high place ordering these murders. I mean what do we make of this, an innocent unarmed man killed like an animal. God will judge….

15. Anom

July 7, 2016 at 4:55 pm

You know what I don’t understand.
    For years and years a legal genocide is being comitted on black people in the USA. We only talk about it now because it’s broadcasted daily on social media. Just try to imagine what has happened in the past without social media. We all now how this baton rouge shooting is going to end. A so called investigation will take place and the verdict will be not guilty of every charge. If I was a black person and the police would hold me in the USA. I would defend myself in anyway.
    I would yell to people to film everything. I would refuse to go to my cell before I have seen my laywer and at least on family member. If a cop pulls you over ask his license. Let your partner demand that he or she goes with you to the station. Collect all recordings that have been made in the several years and send them to the United Nations or Human Rights Watch.