Music

A’rese WINS Season 1 of The Voice Nigeria

BellaNaija.com

The Voice Nigeria Winner
28-year-old Stage actress Agharese Emokpae popularly known as A’rese has won the first season of The Voice Nigeria.

A’rese comes from a creative family. She has been doing music theatre ever since she graduated from Washington and Lee University in 2010. She has starred in various musicals and theatre productions in both Nigeria and The United States.
Arese Chike The Voice Nigeria
It was a nail-biting finale as A’rese and Chike made the Top 2. They performed “Halleluyah” by Jeff Buckly and “Mama” by Kiss Daniel respectively.

Brenda The Voice Nigeria Cornel The Voice NigeriaFan favourites Brenda and Cornel made the Top 4 but couldn’t make it past that stage.

Top 4 The Voice Nigeria

The entire final episode was thrilling with all the Top 8 contestants bringing their A-game.

The team performances were a major highlight with Waje, 2Baba, Patoranking and Timi Dakolo performing alongside their top 2 team members.

2Baba The Voice Nigeria Finale

Patoranking The Voice Nigeria Finale

Timi Dakolo The Voice Nigeria Finale

Waje The Voice Nigeria Finale

It was a great season of music! Looking forward to Season 2.

1. adebanke

July 31, 2016 at 9:11 pm

So glad she won…I almost died,I thought Chike was going to win…I didn’t really feel his last perfomance…Good luck Arese!!!

• Bo

August 1, 2016 at 12:11 am

Bellanaija she has been doing music theatre???

2. Baby gurl

July 31, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Very very surprising win I must say I never hespered it! Regardless, she sure deserved it I think. So good for her and good luck in her future music career. Cornell and Chike fans are going to be the most pained I’m sure lol.

3. koins

July 31, 2016 at 9:14 pm

OMGGGGGGG! I’m so happy…I almost died at the thought of chike winning ha! So glad she won! That last performance was litttt! Would have loved if brenda came second ha! But wow! ARESE! I didn’t see that one coming!

• LemmeRant

August 1, 2016 at 1:52 am

You guys need to stop dying o. Life is a gift. 🙂

• californiabawlar

August 1, 2016 at 5:00 am

I just liked your comment 75 times!! I mean your comment was cool and all but ezz like the like button was on steroids, lol.
      BN na wah o!! so this is how all those useless comments garner likes?

4. nneoyibo

July 31, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Wayo! Because say she deh fone…..at this rate, if you don’t have an Oyibo accent, nothing for you in this country. Cornel and Brenda sing much better

• Not my vote

July 31, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Looks like americanas n londoners r taking over nigeria entertainment industry.. when she tire she will pack n go usa while the other niajas there will still be struggling to make it.. its not easy..

• samuel

July 31, 2016 at 11:43 pm

My brother I just finish chatting with my friend fron Australia. She said there were alot of online campaign by A’rese’s friends both in the USA, Australia, UK and even in SA to vote for her. She said her friends are even so many in Australia. And she said she was not opportune to watch the show for even one day sef.

• Lady Inspector

August 1, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Lmao! Rotflol! Kai walahi I no sey she get people for obodo oyinbo or naa overs we go call am. Even Waje was surprised! Brenda was the true winner for me. C’MON naija. Anyway as a fellow officer we would av gathered plenty votes for Brenda Mama pikin but once we used our free 100 votes on we chat with every number at for our station, no money to buy credit. Economy dey hard and we dey manage. Brenda will make it and Patrick, Dewe. Meanwilly Cornell will be singing at special functions like embassy parties, UN etc. Where are the likes of Chidinma, Iyanya etc. A beg Wizy omo Ojuelegba, flavour, Pato, Tu Baba dem no win anitin. God dey. MI dear congrats!

• Ni Ne

August 1, 2016 at 10:33 am

You do know that the winner was declared through audience votes? Stop the hate

5. fonzo

July 31, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Congratulations to arese. what a spirit lifting voice that was. She did more than enough to win the
    competition…. Also proud of u @ Brenda,my favorite and will always remain… Looking forward to listening to ur album.

6. Viv

July 31, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Big wayo! To start with, 8 is too much for a final. Shud av been reduced to 4. Secondly, it’s al about the Voice not musical achievements. She didnt pull tru wit ha voice. #congratstohersha #TheVoice is a scam.

• ......

July 31, 2016 at 10:43 pm

God bless you… How can u share votes between 8 people.. Tiwa better watch out.. Brenda is taking over.. I could pay VIP seats to watch Brenda.. Pray she finds someone that can mold and bring the star in her.. TeamBrenda all day

7. Teee

July 31, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Nneoyibo, dey should better employ her on ebony live tv, cos na oyibo speaking dey reign now.. Lmao!! Biko I was rooting for chike.. So sad.

• nneoyibo

August 1, 2016 at 7:28 am

Exactly! The thing tire peron.

• Lady Inspector

August 1, 2016 at 1:30 pm

My dear be like sey u see my mind. She will end up on Ebony teefee or join Nollywood then win that their award AMVCA whish I like. Dem for give person wey deserve am pass. BRENDA our pikin. I tell Mama Ibeji for Area F say na this oyibo garl go win dem no believe. Onli tin be sey I happy day CHIKE no win o! I laugh well as dem no call am. I was so happy I go drink zobo for Alagbado crossing

• Cobzee

August 2, 2016 at 9:17 am

She is Nigerian even if she grew abroad. When will dis country ever unite??? Let’s preach unity please.

8. Yinka Adebayo

July 31, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Wow. She deserves it. I’ve said it repeatedly to my family members that A’rese will win though Cornel is my choice sha. All the best y’all. You’re all great.

9. fine girl

July 31, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Brenda was and. Is still my best.its just a matter of votes.I love her creativity and versatility as well..The fact that she composes some of her lines

10. Ranyinudo

July 31, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Congrats A’rese! U sure have a good voice. Well done.
    Now my qualms is not with u winning…it’s in the voice Nigeria making it seem like it was up to the public to decide the winner. Clearly that wasn’t the case cos I myself as rooting for Cornel but when I saw the way Chile was canvassing for votes…with a record of over 20k IG followers, I knew he had a good chance. Now I didn’t really see A’rese begging for votes and she won! So much for the viewers choice.
    Anyways…I love me some Cornel. Excellent voice, great charisma, handsome man! Phew!
    U all did well.
    #rant over.
    Awesome August everyone.

• Ni Ne

August 1, 2016 at 10:36 am

Because you didn’t see her begging for votes, she shouldn’t win? Some people don’t make noise, they just get stuff done. Obviously she knew how to galvanise support for herself without being “in your face”

11. Robert

July 31, 2016 at 10:03 pm

I hate this. Worsted.

12. Billionaire in grace

July 31, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Wow wasn’t expecting to win.congrat to her

13. Bimbo

July 31, 2016 at 10:05 pm

na fraud jor !!! you will know the most popular from their youtube videos !!!! Airtel wanted a model for their COY and they got her ! Chike won, we all know that , i dont know Arese’s fan base ! 4k followers on Instagram compare to some contestants with 24 k followers ! Maybe ghosts voted ! LOL ! Anyway, knew Chike will not win, he has MTN blood in him. they dont want Project fame reject to win, but am 100% sure he won !!! Nice show anyway !

• Ene

July 31, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Is it all his Instagram followers that watch/vote.I follow him but I didn’t vote for him cos he didn’t do it for me.I voted someone else. Social media followers can be very misleading. After hyping you, they might not even vote.

• Bimbo

July 31, 2016 at 10:35 pm

No ! i repeat Artiel wanted someone to be on their Bill Board ! tell me her fan base oooo !!!! you want to tell me she has more fans than Brenda , Nonso or Cornel ???! she never schooled here in 9ja, who voted for her !??

• samuel

July 31, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Bro That A’rese has fans all over the world o. My friend in Australia just finish quarreling with me bcos of what I wrote about A’rese. I dint want her to win o. Buh she said that even in school in Australia that there has been campaign since by her friends that ppl should vote for her. My friend said she voted for her, buh that she doesn’t know her o. And alot of ppl did same. And you know A’rese schooled in the US and UK. So she get fans oo

• Katrina

August 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

And there are so many people who are not on social media who voted for him as well. i’m one of them.

• Corolla

August 1, 2016 at 4:38 am

Bimbo, If you like pop a blood vessel.

• Mz_Danielz

August 1, 2016 at 7:56 am

Bimbo, I was and am an Arese fan. Do you know how many people love her. The people that love Arese are the ones that will vote not just make noise. By the way, your Chike I didn’t love cos I thought he was just a product of hype no substance. Nonso and Dewe were my favorite males. Cornell had one style like he was leading a praise session in an African American church. You see dear, different strokes for different folks. Stop slandering a brand if you have no proof

• Ni Ne

August 1, 2016 at 10:38 am

Cornell eeehn? His singing style was soooo monotonous! Chai

• Nne Somebody

August 1, 2016 at 10:48 am

God bless you for the spot on analysis.

14. Kosi

July 31, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Scam, scam and scam. Shame on the voice producers for making it seem like one has to have a foreign accent to be good enough. And no, votes did not give Arese her win.

• Kosi

July 31, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I’m so angry right now. I feel cheated. like iv wasted viewing time watching the show all these weeks. I can’t even hiss long enough.

• Jules

July 31, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Take a chill pill. It’s about voting. Did you vote?.How many times? Voting was via sms or wechat. Almost limitless. Will spirits vote your fave in? ? Arese campaigned for votes and she has a lot of celeb friends. As usual you females will go and support the guys. It’s amazing to see a girl triumph against all the odds.
      You should relax or go and watch Project Fame or something. You guys won’t vote but you have the energy to type comment. If you did this for your fave x 100 that felt like you perhaps they would have won!
      Arese is also amazing. That’s how they used to stone Asa with pure water because she did alternative music, today it’s an honour to listen to her music. You and everyone crying foul should take a hundred seats and zip it!!!

• Tee

August 1, 2016 at 11:55 am

Preach it! It’s so sad that quite a few ladies never even attempt to support other females.

• Katrina

August 1, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Its about the ‘Voice’ not gender. Stop this gender thing abeg.

• Halle

August 24, 2016 at 11:17 am

As in… I am team Arese all the way!!
      I saw her on Wakaa Show and I havent recovered from December till now
      I am happy she won!
      Brenda took was also great

• Chuma

August 3, 2016 at 8:06 am

Why do we have to be such haters all the time! Why can we not be happy for the young girl who finally got rewarded for the amount of work she put in. Is it her fault she went to school abroad?! As far as I am concerned that does not take away from the fact the girl is gifted with an amazing voice!! If you think you can do better why not contest and let’s see whether you make it pass the judges selection round!

15. Missy J

July 31, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Not my favorite but I’m glad she won.
    Chike, shouldn’t be sad. Now he’s got an array of record deals to choose from. Who knows better deals.
    Cornel… Though my fav, I’m glad he didn’t win. I will like to see him take the path of Uncle Ben of Project fame. I’ll want him to be an acclaimed music tutor.
    Nonso… I looveee you. Looking forward to you making good music. But how far? Where is that your brother? Abi TheVoice were scared that people will leave contestants to go and vote for him? I don gerrit.

• ATL's finest

August 1, 2016 at 3:50 am

Lol I never really watched the show but one thing I know with these shows is that sometimes, even those that won don’t go far & ain’t no where to be found lol E.g. Taylor Hicks, Reuben Stewart etc ( from American Idol) although that’s not my prayer for her. Now, let’s take a look at those who didn’t win the show & how far they came E.g. Jennifer Hudson & Chris Daughtry. So from what I heard/read, eight finalist JESU!!! Only in Nigeria :). And of course, I guarantee u that her ascent played a huge role in it as well. Oh well someone has got to win. Good luck to her.

• Sandra

August 1, 2016 at 8:32 am

My sister. … I was wondering too oh. The guy sha

16. reading comments

July 31, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Seeing comments about people saying they never expected her to win or I didn’t see it coming.. just wondering if people’s votes counted. Clearly she is a good singer but not the people’s favorite. It seems Someone who doesn’t come from a creative family and schooled in the US cannot win this show. That’s what it looked like to me .

17. xplorenollywood.com

July 31, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Arese brought game to her every performance! N it is not today. I have watched her in Saro & Wakaa the Musicals and I know she can belt out tunes. She took each song and changed it making it sound different, yet appealing at all times. From Fela’s palaver to the song Freedom, she showed she was very versatile. And put her best foot forward with her song choices and performances. I don’t know what u guys mean by her accent this and that cos I know Chike was speaking English and he had the looks, he’s a pretty boy and was going to use that to his advantage, but his last song choice won’t even make Kiss Daniel happy. Pls let’s call a spade a spade biko. I loved Cornel, but I don’t think his age worked for him and he’s song choice too was poor. As for Brenda, wasn’t crazy about her, but she can pull an Omawumi and become a top selling singer. Either way, I don’t think any of these acts should rest on the laurels! If singing is Wat dey want to do, the should prove it and fight for it don’t let a show determine where u would like to be or wait for the next reality show to shine.

• #my2cents

August 1, 2016 at 10:16 am

….even Nonso is well spoken, so the talk that Arese won cos of the way she speaks is baseless. Peeps arguing against Arese think up with “non complex” stricken reasons y she shouldnt have won…not that it’ll change anything. Hahahahahaha

• Halle

August 24, 2016 at 11:20 am

THank you!!!
      Saroo and Wakaa the Musicals!
      That girl is THE VOICE

18. Noble (www.lagosconvo.com)

July 31, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Congratulations A’rese! Powerful voice, awesome talent. I suspect A’rese will be another Asa or even a more powerful version of her. Brenda & Chike: A little prediction. Brenda has all it takes to make an instant impact on the Nigeria music scene. She has the voice, the passion and the ‘madness’. I’m secretly praying she doesn’t rest on her oars. Chike will slide almost seamlessly into the industry too. He also has the voice, the looks and the ‘swag’. Brenda and Chike, I suspect will be the next big thing in the industry. The platform has served its purpose, the rest depends on you guys.

• Jagaban

August 1, 2016 at 4:28 am

pls don’t disrespect Asa or bring her into this the Voice nonsense

• Lady Inspector

August 1, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Who be dis? Why?! You be Asa husband or family? What has disrespect got to do with the comment comparing her to Asa? Is Asa your Lil idol. Look my dear, No King in this life only reigning Champion biko.

19. Made

July 31, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Arese profited from the votes which could be influenced if you’ve got MONEY which evidently she/family has. Clearly there were better contestants than she. I was absolutely gutted when she was announced as the winner so I just jejely changed the channel to “my 600 pounds life”. Ahnahn, when Brenda, Dewe and Co were there..but I know that these 3 guys will not go down like that! Especially Brenda. I see 2baba – Brenda collabo actually..

20. lulu

July 31, 2016 at 11:40 pm

mhhhhhhhhhh, what a suprise! never paid attention to her because i always felt like there was alot missing in her perfomances, though her voice is beautiful singing those angelique kidjo’s type of songs just didnt sound right,like you would expect so much charisma and energy from such type of songs but she just did’nt bring it…….
    But what i think happend and is what i also would’ve done if i had a loved one in the competion, her familly probably each bought 100 sim card, open 100 we chat accounts, use up all your 100 votes,that 10,000 per person, now you have 10 dedicated family members thats a sum of 100,000 votes, plus the family and friends whom they convinced to open atleast 5/10 accounts,,, easy win..as for those who relied purely on fans,it will be deficult because no fanwill spend so much money and time on you,2-3votes can never make you win unless you have a ligion of voting fans#thats what i think happened since everyone whos supposed to have voted for her(never did) is suprised,,,,,#only a thought…………well congratz to her anywas,if its your destiny its your destiny.

• Jules

August 1, 2016 at 6:36 am

Pure math. What I’ve been trying to say! You don’t win reality shows by voting once. You go all out, that’s why they give a lot of allowances.
      This isn’t a presidential election, it’s a music reality show, profit is the goal. Dstv owns wechat. Siegel needs to make money offa votes. The more you use the more they make they more your faves win

• Tee

August 1, 2016 at 12:03 pm

South African DSTV owns the Chinese We Chat??? Chairman of the ministry of conspiracy theories I hail oh.

21. mrs chidukane

July 31, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I love dewe. His smile is amazing. I knew arese would win . I’m happy chike didn’t win. He looks and acts like a cultist.

• Eka Emem

August 1, 2016 at 5:23 am

?? Oh my days! Mrs Chidukane, you just made me wake my baby up with your comment about Chike looking like a cultist. Oh Lord! Abeg make Una no kill person with laff. ?

• nkechi

August 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

JESU!!!! easy o

• lily

August 1, 2016 at 10:06 am

Loool. My Chike isn’t a cultist o. Best boy ever. It was all part of the game.

22. Idriss Duramany Koromah

August 1, 2016 at 12:05 am

Congrats to A’rese, but my choice was Chike, He has all its take to be the winner. I felt it so much for him. cheer up man.

23. Jude

August 1, 2016 at 12:14 am

I’m so gonna buy A’rese’s Album anytime it drops and have a whole yearly collection! ? even if it’s with my last drop of blood! Lol!

24. michael

August 1, 2016 at 12:39 am

you kept saying she has friends all over the world. You speak daftly. So, others got friends in hell? All this live whatever are nothing but scripts. Cornel is the Voice, to hell with airtel. little wonder their network is wack.

• A.M

August 2, 2016 at 2:04 am

take it easy bro, it’s not that serious .

25. ElessarisElendil

August 1, 2016 at 12:56 am

Some of you are taking this far too seriously. Rather than complain, buy the inevitable album of the artist you think ought to have won. Album sales> Competition wins.

26. Shalom

August 1, 2016 at 1:08 am

Congratulations to Arese, she deserved to win. She is unique and very different from all of them.
    But my best art was DEWE of the LORD. I love him so much, and that his smile, hmmm…. cools my soul always.
    All in all, they all did well and grew astronomically. I wish them all the best in their life’s journeys.
    DEWE keep Smiling and keep SHINNING!

27. Jasmine

August 1, 2016 at 1:59 am

After voting for cornel? They cheated us abeg. Cornel is still my winner.

28. Iris

August 1, 2016 at 4:51 am

Is she related to the CEO of Shakara Couture?

• tutu

August 1, 2016 at 9:52 am

Yes she is. In all of this, I knew Arese was going to win towards the end of the show because her celebrity friends were rooting for her, she was versatile and confident in her song choices and her family is boxed up. You don’t know how much they would have spent on voting.

29. Na wao

August 1, 2016 at 9:01 am

Arese is the grand daughter of Ogieve Erhabor Emokpae, the very famous Nigerian sculture , with works around National thearter, NITEL building Marina, etc. Art is in her blood.

Her grand father Erhabor Ogieva Emokpae, OON, (9 May 1934 – 16 February 1984) was a renowned Nigerian sculptor, muralist, graphic artist and painter who is also regarded as one of the pioneers of modern arts in Nigeria., Some of his notable works include the crafting of a replica of the ivory mask of Queen Idia which was used as the official emblem of Second World Black and African Festival of Arts and Culture event and the famous Queen Amina painting. He is also responsible for the decorations on the four entrances of the National Arts Theatre, in Lagos. He has sculptures in museums all over the world and died a very rich man.

30. Prince

August 1, 2016 at 9:17 am

Congratulations.
    The win is good but what you do with it is what matters. Praiz didn’t win Project Fame but he’s doing fantastically well. Where are the GLO Naija Sings winners, What about Etisalat Nigeria Idol, the list goes on.
    After the win, WHAT NEXT????

31. Asa

August 1, 2016 at 9:29 am

There was no ojoro please! I voted DNA all the way. They still got evicted and I no scream foul play. Its not when the person you want doesn’t win, you automatically say ojoro dey am. A’rese was different! Very different, I didn’t vote her but I didn’t mind that she won. Chike was good but he wasn’t versatile at all. The day he sang pull over was the day I knew that he wasn’t versatile. Cornel was good in the beginning o, but subsequently he stopped living up to his hype!

32. Lateefah

August 1, 2016 at 9:40 am

Congrats Arese!!! I was rooting for her to win. She was different, I’m expecting her to drop albums that will be recognized internationally. Her rendition of Hallelujah was heavenly it brought tears to my eyes. Congrats once again and I wish you all the best. I can’t wait for your album

33. FinchleysFinest

August 1, 2016 at 9:42 am

A R E S E : congrats girl… Well deserved..

She’s fresh and classy… I was rooting for Dewe/ Vicky or Michael… But it is well..

I wish all of them the best .

34. Fakolade Olukemi

August 1, 2016 at 10:28 am

really wished Brenda won. She was so good and i feel she can sing any song thrown at her and make it her own.

35. Iyun

August 1, 2016 at 10:31 am

I rooted for Nonso and Dewe, so sad none of them won… I wish everyone of them from the winner to my guys(Dewe and Nonso), Chike, Brenda etc all the best.

36. Ada

August 1, 2016 at 10:47 am

Congrats Arese.
    Woah! I’m just here because someone said Chike looks and acts like a cultist.
    This is just too much! Why will you go to such extent to defame someone’s character because you never wanted him to win?
    Is it Chike that was shy and jittery like a butterfly in project fame,so shy that Tymix and Joseph Benjamin begged him to smile and loosen up. Chike that was dreesing like an applicant in project fame.
    Now he has rebranded himself and coated his act with swag and confidence and you have the heart to call him a cultist?
    It’s not that deep,it’s only a competition and he did his best.
    Pls try to differenciate Confidence/Swag/Fine Boy vibes from Cultism.
    You sound like an Illterate Mrs Chidukane!!

37. its_urgirlie

August 1, 2016 at 10:56 am

The voice competition Nigeria, I didn’t like the fact that they depended mainly or even solely on votes to get the winner… it seemed to me as though the Judges were just sitting there as decorations during the finale. Meaning that the most influential person will always win irrespective of talent and performances. The winner is very talented anyway…but I preferred Brenda. That Brenda lady was super gooood.

38. tiny

August 1, 2016 at 10:57 am

I rooted for Cornel but never voted na so life be. learnt a lesson to always vote if you want to see someone win, Arase sense of style omgosh i loved her clothes. but if anyone told me Arase will win all through this competition i would have never believed bcos she was just there as per her voice as compared to all the others i dont believe there was ojoro sha it was a matter of votes. i wish them all the best.

39. Ada1

August 1, 2016 at 11:03 am

When i hear people say versatility i just laugh. The ability to do noisy Kpalango Nigerian music is not versatility. The fact that Nigerians love wack music should not be a standard in judging contestants on future talent shows.
    Nigerian’s concept of versatility is what led Iyanya to drop his natural R&B calling to do I want you waist songs same thing that led some Contestants like Chike/Nonso to do wacky songs like PullOver.
    I’m glade Asa and Nneka never tried that Kpalango trash!
    Have you seen R. Kelly do Rap or have you seen Terry G sing R and B?
    This competition is supposed to match your Vocals with a song while fine tuning your style not about proving any versatility to anyone.
    I wish all of them the very best!

• Katrina

August 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm

@Ada1, if there’s a way to like your comment a million times, i would have done so. What nonsense ‘versatility’ are they talking about?

• t

August 2, 2016 at 3:08 am

Have you heard are any american voice contestant sing an african song or an indian song. I believe every country have there own style of music and like it or not the so called kpangolo music is now part of the nigerian music style cos it is a fusion of our very own afrobeat, highlife and the rest. All we need to do now is love, appreciate and develop it.

40. Niyoola

August 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I loved Arese, Brenda and Dewe.
    Cornell was all hype abeg, over-confident, sang like a chorister …… all show, no substance.

Nice to hear Arese featured in Waka …. critically acclaimed shows, so it points to her talent. I loved her song choices, demeanour and fashion!
    Of course lots of people in the artworl would have voted for her. The entire cast of Waka and Saro alone would probably exceed lots of people’s votes.

Tuface should take Brenda under his wing, I love her (she should calm down sha, the crase wey dey her body just dey vibrate her)

Dewe, good outing.

The VOoice, having 8 people in finals is very daft. Please 3, at the most 4.

41. Peaches77

August 1, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I don’t understand why these singing competitions pressure contestants to be versatile. To what end really? Most known A-level singers/stars have their genres and usually stick with it in real life. Yes, they have their niche usually. For music, i don’t care about versatility, just be excellent in your chosen genre that you’ll be known for and i will seek you out. Stay there, specialize in it, influence it and extend it( you know, like in research). That’s the reason there are so many other singers with different voice textures, inclinations, music orientation, genre etc.
    That out of the way, i liked and voted Nonso for the winner. I got to appreciate Brenda at the end of the show. I liked Cornel but his performances are just too one way and overly charged sometimes. I liked Dewe as well. Chike is excellent in his core and naa for the Naija kinda songs and it’s fine like that. Arese is a complete artist, yes she is, even though i wouldn’t say her voice was the most outstanding. Though the votes were in before last night’s show, she gave an excellent account of herself in both performances.
    An excellent competition from start to finish (except that IK has to find other exclamations and remarks for next season- e do 🙂 ) and i really hope that these competitors can begin to expand and re-define what we call Nigerian contemporary music. Yea not forgetting Armstrong and the Lady from UNN. Shoutout to you guys!

• Jane

August 4, 2016 at 2:23 am

@Peaches77 I don’t think they pressure contestants to be versatile, what they look out for is your creativity, your ability to own a song be it your genre or not. For instance Brenda in my opinion is very creative see what she did to Adele’s Song “Rumor has it”, Also Wizkids “Ojuelegba” , she added her twist and made it her own. I also saw that creativity in Arese. For Chike I think he has a good voice but he didn’t really know how to make a song he’s.

42. Ebele

August 1, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Hahahaha! I assure you Sir/Ma’am, if it was down to votes, Arese won hands down. She’s my second cousin and i was in the US all through last month on vacation. Votes were galvanized like mad in the US, even though we couldn’t watch the show (she has a lot of family abroad). That’s minus the folk in the UK and Australia who were voting as well.

• Disgusted

April 21, 2017 at 7:52 am

And why the hell should people who didn’t even see the show be voting for this cow? That’s not talent, that’s cheating.

43. dorothy foster

August 2, 2016 at 2:21 am

my choice was nnoso bassey.

44. Cobzee

August 2, 2016 at 9:22 am

Congratulations to Arese…. wanted Chike to win tho but it’s all good. Cornell and Brenda are amazing as well, I wish ’em all the best. #teamChike win or not.

45. kk

August 2, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Veevyan, Dewe, Chike and of course Arese were my best on the competition. congrats to Arese a confident elegant awe inspiring act! These people will make it over the moon if they want…. I think Cornel was a bit 2 much on himself, he literally overacted things a little out of hand with his performance, his rendition of oyi na tum was downright hilarious

46. Ayo

August 2, 2016 at 11:46 pm

So Arese won!very painful indeed!Does she have a great personality?yes maybe.Does she have THE VOICE?no sir!I still don’t understand why Waje kept saving her.She and Patrick were the weakest links of the 8 finalists as far as I am concerned. Of course Viveeyan,Brenda,Chike and Nosa were supposed to be the final four but between Chike and arese?Chike obviously deserved to win it (even the crowd was screaming his name already).I am really pained he didn’t win sha (I’m sure that’s obvious already.lol).I haven’t recovered from the loss I feel about this thing (l really wish I didn’t follow the program at all because I wouldn’t be his bitter about the Arese win if I didn’t follow the show)

If airtel had put up the two finalists and made one more show,just for the two finalists to perform and the winner to emerge?Chike would have won neatly because almost all the people who were rooting for Cornel,Brenda and the likes would have concentrated their votes on Chike if we had to vote of the two.

I’m sure deep in the Arese girl’s heart,she knows it was an undeserved win.Heard all her friends in diaspora were gathering votes for her.I’m sure even them know that she didn’t deserve it.

She’d probably end up in a radio station as someone suggested.

Big ups to you Chike,whether Airtel wants to admit it or not,you are definitely the winner (what would they give to Chike as the runner up mbok?They better not send him and way with nothing o!)

47. CALEB OKOI

January 4, 2017 at 2:40 am

I stumbled on this webpage while searching for THE VOICE NIGERIA season 2’s registration form. It all now seem to me… without influence, money and social media fame you can’t just depend on your self developed talent to win a music reality show like THE VOICE NIGERIA. A’rese emerged the winner and everyone is upset that she got a lot of votes from US, UK and Australia…. what are fellow Nigerians doing after watching a reality show like this that requires voting your fav con? I mean you watch a show on Tv and you cant support your fav contestant? when people who dont even know A’rese or even watched the show voted for her because a notice was made of cos not in nig, C’mon Nigerians…..wake wake wake!!!