Relationships

Husband apologizes publicly 26 Years after Wife Caught Him in Bed with Another Woman

BellaNaija.com

Gayle with her 2 children

Gayle with her 2 children

Gayle King is known as a media maven and of course as Oprah Winfrey‘s best friend.

In a new Q&A with Vanity Fair for its Proust Questionnaire column, her answer to a certain question raised a lot of eyebrows.

Vanity Fair: Which living person do you most despise?
Gayle King: “Despise” is a strong word. I’m not a huge fan of the woman I caught naked with my now ex-husband on June 24, 1990, at 9:16 P.M.—but I don’t remember the details.

Her ex-husband and father of her 2 children William Bumpus has now responded…with a public apology.
The couple were married for 11 years till 1993. The marriage basically ended after the unfortunate incident.

He released this statement to Page Six;

“I have been haunted with this life altering choice. Though I have dealt with this privately . . . I publicly apologize for the major transgression that dramatically changed all of our lives.”

“I have nothing but the utmost respect for Gayle and how she handled herself with grace. Despite the situation, she kept our children, as well as my relationship and involvement with them, as a clear priority. Gayle was a great wife, an excellent mother and a fantastic co-parent. I am eternally grateful for all that she has done and continues to do to enrich my life and the lives of our incredible adult children. I continue to be a work in progress and have spent the last 26 years striving to be a better man and father. I applaud Gayle’s continued phenomenal success and friendship!”

Gayle has refused to publicly name the other woman. She simply said “She knows her name!”

Photo Credit: Robin Marchant / Getty Images Entertainment

1. Seriously

July 7, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Wow! A genuine, sincere apology won’t take away the heartbreak and pain but it goes a long way.

But why do women always have more resentment towards the other woman, mistress than their man. Isn’t he suppose to be the main person to be upset at. And if you can reconcile with the man why not the woman. I don’t know.

• Naijatalk

July 7, 2016 at 5:28 pm

It’s painful because you expect a woman to be your sister, you expect your hurt and pain to be hers as well. You do not expect her to be a co-contributor to your pain. The betrayal stings because she is a woman like you.

• i no send

July 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm

@naija talk you have said it all..why should she reconcile with her ? do you have any thing in common like kids?? …..and it may be that the woman was a friend of hers..

• seriously

July 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

I don’t mean reconcile and do kumbaya dance. But the same way you forgave the man for disrespecting you and your home, why can’t you forgive the woman too. The man, your husband is the one who is married to you who allowed such to occur. If he respected the marriage, vows in the first place, there won’t be any woman in the picture. Women tend to pour all their anger, hatred on the woman and the man sometimes walks away free and probably repeats the same thing. Shrugs shoulder

• Mz_Danielz

July 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Would a man feel more resentment towards a man that slept with his wife cos he’s supposed to be a brother since he’s a man like him? All these a woman like me sounds like solidarity in oppression. A man or woman makes a vow to you, they should keep it. Nobody else owes you anything, take your anger to those who promised you and God

• Truth hurts

July 8, 2016 at 3:28 am

You expect her to be your sister, true.. However your husband is one with you and that is/ should be a closer bond so if you are to hate anyone, it should be him. For all you know, he didnt even tell her about you/ his marital status. She owes you nothing, it is your husband who made a pact with you before God, not her.

• ChildOFextramaritalAffairs

July 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Based on her responses….you can tell she trusted the woman. She is more upset at the woman because of the trust. She probably had caught her man before and was nearly about to move out. So this final straw from a close confidant or trusted aquaintance killed her soul. Betrayal hurts and i am sure her husband was equally no good.

• cheek

July 7, 2016 at 8:27 pm

@SERIOUSLY, you sound like a man, or one of those side chicks whose mantra is “i dont have business with you, face your husband”

• Gorgeous

July 8, 2016 at 2:25 am

You better learn to face the truth, which is that the one who swore vows was the one that betrayed you. Stop looking for strangers to blame for your eternal sadness. While the man is on to the next one. You think Bumpus has stopped bumping around? He’s just sending this letter because Gayle is a big deal that he thought she would never be.

For a man to step out of his marriage means he does not think much of you. So why should a stranger? It’s funny that you want a strange woman to be your keeper or any woman for that matter. I bet it won’t take you anything to go out of your way to mention how single your single friends are. And gossip all day about how unfortunate they are. Yet expect for those same girls to be your keeper.

Better face the monster you married and your terrible decision making skills and stop looking for anyone to blame for the tragedy that is your life. Your comment really irked me.

• seyi

July 8, 2016 at 5:18 pm

What is it? Why are you people judging the woman. They asked her a candid question and she replied. You don’t know maybe it’s the man she despises ‘second most’ Lool. If you’ve not been in someone’s shoes Pls don’t judge. For all we know maybe the person was a close friend or family sef.. that’s why…so just read and move on. It’s someone else’s life and choices..

• Harold

April 26, 2019 at 1:58 pm

The woman was probably someone she’s familiar with…

2. Niyoola

July 7, 2016 at 5:25 pm

I love the “..but I don’t remember the detaila”part.

Lol

• Yeah

July 7, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Yeah, sarcasm at its best, i love her already

• Ajala &foodie

July 8, 2016 at 12:57 am

I read that and busted out laughing after giving the details down to the dang on time!!!. My tata fo sef though wants to know the pesin cos I have a feeling she is well known!!!

3. Jeremiahe

July 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm

God I am deeply sorry for I have been messing up with another woman’s husband, including in her own house and bed. I have been sleeping unprotected with him for as long as they have been married. I wouldn’t be happy if someone was doing the same to me. At first, I didn’t know the guy was married, but as soon as I found out, I was deeply in love and believed all the lies about you and imminent divorce you were allegedly going through. I could have broken your home had you caught me in your house with him. I could have broken your home had I not aborted hisnumerous pregnancies. Had I been HIV positive or the like, I could have broken your heart and shorten your life. The day I saw your picture and heard you over the phone, I realised that your husband was portraying you for who you were not. You loved him and were not aware of what he was doing behind your back. I saw in you another woman and thought that I should vacate and let you enjoy your marriage. I took the decision to end it with a man that God had joined together with his wife and for no reason would I have been the one to put asunder. I am glad that you are unaware of my existence at some point in your life. I am glad that you worship your husband and believe that he is the perfect man. I am glad that you are still married to him as ordained by God. I will never sin against you or another woman again. I am so ashame of my actions and I hope God will forgive me.

• Naijatalk

July 7, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Wow! I am glad you are a changed person. Ladies, please be your sister’s keeper.

• Leilah

July 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm

#yimu…shift to the left! So you are only sorry because you heard the wife’s voice over the phone and realised she was a nice person? You people eh…you will not come and kill someone with laughter.
      Please all, have integrity within yourself, whether male or female. Stay away from those who are married or in committed relationships until ink is dry on the divorce papers and ties have been completely severed. This right here I will face both the cheater and the cheatee. Both are downright dirty! You dont owe the spouse of the cheater anything but have some standards, morals and values for yourself na. You were in love, abi? Ai ti gbo yen ri (I hope you can detect the obvious note of sarcasm).
      And if you are looking for forgiveness, please go to God or the woman in question. Why post this nonsense here looking for absolution for your own conscience? #yimu #yimu #yimu

• Leilah

July 7, 2016 at 7:49 pm

‘This right here Is why I will face both the cheater and the cheetee’

• Mz_Danielz

July 7, 2016 at 8:25 pm

My darling, may God heal you. It is well.

Don’t carry unnecessary guilt around, God has forgiven you

• good girl

July 7, 2016 at 10:05 pm

everyone makes mistakes my dear as long as you realise this and turn away then no problem …. some choose to justify and remain in that mistake ..

4. paula

July 7, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Sounds to me that those clamouring that Gayle direct her anger away from the other woman are mostly side chicks and home wrecks.

• tunmi

July 8, 2016 at 3:38 am

Why you always lying. Stop f-ing lying. Ooh girl… ? ? ?

5. purplieciousbabe

July 7, 2016 at 10:16 pm

One of the many reasons why Oprah said no to marriage lol

6. lili

July 8, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Why are people sounding like she blamed just the other women and not the man? She obviously blamed her husband too, and that is why she divorced his sorry ass. You guys are saying the other woman owed her nothing. But you do not know the relationship she had with this other woman prior to the cheating. She obviously had to stay cordial with her ex husband because they were co parenting their 2 children.

7. Yummychickcummummy

July 8, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I’m not a huge fan of the woman I caught naked with my now ex-husband on June 24, 1990, at 9:16 P.M. Wow for her to remember all this after all those yrs. It sure pained her a lot. May God bless her for moving forward n b a success story the husband wish he still have.

8. DeeY

July 9, 2016 at 7:24 am

Funny thing is, the side chick thinks she “all dat” and more during the wrecking process. As time goes on and uncle Cheater starts steppinh out she starts hyperventilating and asks questions like- “don’t you know you are a family man?” #truestory #funniestthingever#karmaisicecold #lmao

9. dee

July 11, 2016 at 12:00 am

Lets not be quick to judge someone. These men can be evil and i almost fell victim myself. Dude was at my beck and call for the 1 month i knew him. Promised heaven and earth and even proposed like joke like joke one time sef. Thats how i found out he was not only married with 2 kids but his wife was carrying baby number 3 in her womb at the time. I was just weak. I thanked God that 1, i hadnt falling inlove with him and 2. I didnt have sex with him. Thats how i would have become involuntary side chic! A whole me!! sighhh May God help and protect us single ladies because not everyone wants a cheating ass, disgusting left over ass husband of another woman! I was sooooooooo irritated like WTF!!!!! Who freaking cheats on a preggo wife?

Anyway one thing i learned from that situation is to hold on tight to my vow of staying celibate till marriage o. It wasn’t really a serious decision for me till the day i found out about that lying ass he goat who i’m sure many have fallen victim for. sighhh

I met the guy at a work conference, so it wasn’t like i went searching or met at some inappropriate place o! The idiot came there with the intention of praying on some single innocent lady! When i confronted him after i found out and asked where the hell his ring was and how come i never saw any ring mark the fool said “I’m not a jewelry person” LMAO i nearly died! Fucking bastard!!

Infact as i recall this unfortunate event may God punish you again freshly for nearly putting my life and emotion at risk and i pray for your wife that God will help her in this bondage of a marriage to the devil himself Amen

lol