News

Nigerian Athlete Opens GoFundMe Page to Seek Sponsorship for Rio Olympics

BellaNaija.com

Regina GeorgeThis is not the kind of report we ought to be getting, but sadly we are.

There have been reports that there were no funds for Nigerian athletes for the 2016 Rio Olympics. House of Reps members had also called for immediate release funds to the Ministry of Sports to facilitate the country’s preparations at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games earlier this month.

Apparently the funds have not been released and athletes have resorted to social media to call for sponsorship. The 2016 Rio Olympics starts in 14 days time, from August 5th – 21st.

One of such athletes is Regina George who was selected to represent Team Nigeria in the 4 x 400m relay. According to her, the government said they will have to sponsor themselves to Rio and will get a refund later.

She opened a GoFundMe page seeking for help so that she can represent her country. She wrote:

To all my family, friends and fans, thanks for being here for me through the good times and bad times.
This year it’s been hard financially for me but it wouldn’t have been possible without your support.
I’ve just been told that we will have to pay our own way to the Olympics this year.
Sadly this is such short notice for me to come up with the money.
They also promised a refund but I’m still waiting for many refunds promised in the past.
I’ve been through a lot of obstacles this year and through it all I got into the Olympic team for the second time.
I don’t want to stop now after I earned a spot to represent my country in the Olympics. Any donation will help my situation.
This will not go unnoticed and I’m truly grateful for my supporters. Help spread the word!
Another athlete, Seye Ogunlewe Jnr, is also calling on corporations and the general public for sponsorship for the olympics.
Seye OgunleweSeye Ogunlewe2

1. BLAZE WONDER

July 22, 2016 at 11:47 pm

this is just sad

• Oversabi

July 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Waiting for liar mohammed to start debunking these reports and blaming Jonathan for the accusations. Make access bank and emir part for the thing na abi ns only polo dem dey support

2. nigerian

July 22, 2016 at 11:49 pm

this is SO sad! Come on, Nigeria! How greedy can our politicans be?

• artklub

July 23, 2016 at 6:54 am

if you are a nigerian you cannot be so naive, no offense dear. things are glaringly obvious.

• Anon

July 23, 2016 at 10:28 am

Yet, Dogara is here allocating billions to himself! Wicked leaders in high places! Shame!

3. Mr. Egghead

July 23, 2016 at 12:04 am

What a tragedy!
    Growing up, I remember when people described Francis Obikwelu and Gloria Alozie as unpatriotic because they decided to run for other countries. Looking back, it was the best decision they ever made.
    Our leaders are just a bunch of bloody bomboclaats and the chief bomboclaat only seems concerned with solving the issue of cattle rustling in Zamfara

4. Lisa

July 23, 2016 at 12:24 am

Chai. My heart is heavy for these athletes and Nigeria. A country so wealthy, but yet so many people are suffering on every level. This is shameful. We must do better.

5. Celeste

July 23, 2016 at 12:43 am

Sai Chanji! Sai Baba!!

Oya, Mrs. Buhari help our representatives out, abi the millions wey you dey donate give IDP camps don finish?

What a very sad disgraceful news. mtcheeww

6. Mywifeisfiiiiiiine

July 23, 2016 at 12:45 am

Yet bubu junkets the world like it’s his money, I thought they have recovered billions upon billions yet you can’t sponsor people who strive to better themselves and just maybe in the process bring glory and joy to a crying nation. Where are those women who protested for both Remi and Dino, orugo naomume.

7. GEJ .....

July 23, 2016 at 12:54 am

GEJ left Nigeria totally bankrupt,the government needs money to execute most of the projects,there’s shortage of foreign currency.

• artklub

July 23, 2016 at 6:19 am

no actually its the white mans fault cuz of slavery and colonialism. see hoe stupid that sounds? lol.

8. FasholasLover

July 23, 2016 at 2:00 am

This is beyond comprehension. I just do not get it, as in, my brain has refused to process this news. Our political elected officials swim in wealth. Padded budget, treatment of ear infection in London, numerous special assistants, Snr. special assistants lots of jets in the Presidential fleet. A large entourage when our elected officials travel. Meal allowances, estacode and just about anything else you can think of is over inflated. We are broke, we are “technically” in recession yet, the govt’ carries on as if we are buoyant. What sort of a mess is this? If Nigeria is too broke to sponsor our athletes, then, cancel Nigeria’s participation. Rather than this shame. Where are these athletes supposed to get the money to fund a country’s representation? A country that never does anything for her citizenry but, take, take, take and take until there is nothing to give. Haaa, l tire.

My major worry is the missed opportunity a cancellation will cost the athletes who have put in sweat and blood to get prepared. The opportunity of International recognition and probably moving on to a better phase in their career that the Olympics would offer. Which kin whahala be this? “Fund yourself and you will be refunded” What bunkum is this? The giant of Africa????

• aj

July 23, 2016 at 3:27 am

Thank you jare…Its not by force for Nigeria to participate! If no funds then withdraw Nigeria from the Olympics instead of not supporting and embarrassing them.

9. ATL's finest

July 23, 2016 at 2:11 am

I swear Nigerian Govt make u don’t wanna have sympathy on NOBODY. This is a no brianer & place help me understand this. Y’all picked her & now want her to sponsor herself to Rio & get refund later of which Regina is most liking not gonna get. What ever happen to a Country with so much natural resources? Even my former manager ( a white man ) at that will ask me why r u here in this shitty America when yall so good with sports & everything? I pray Regina makes it to Rio but if I were to be here, I will bail out after all, if Nigeria doesn’t make it to the Olympics, it aint by force.

10. Nja

July 23, 2016 at 2:56 am

Four years they didn’t bring a single medal home,let them sponsor themselves.

• Big Tee

July 23, 2016 at 9:42 am

I am afraid your missing the point here…….

11. Nikky

July 23, 2016 at 4:36 am

(With my game of thrones bell) SHAME. On the Nigerian government

SHAME On who ever the minister of sports is.

SHAME on us all for allowing these leaders to continue getting away with nonsense like this.

12. Kelechi

July 23, 2016 at 4:45 am

Ebola was brought in to the country by Patrick- just one man. Please, let us as a country boycott the Olympic. How do we handle another epidemic. I learnt Zika was found to have been transmitted to a man in the North America via sexual intercourse. Certainly not a case for hand sanitizers- not like we can still afford that anyway!.

• Anon

July 23, 2016 at 10:31 am

Which north America? Pls get your facts right.

13. ElessarisElendil

July 23, 2016 at 4:55 am

Finally the Nigerian government does something sensible. Are we likely to win any medals??? We all know the answer.

What does it profit Nigeria to spend billions sending athletes on vacation to Ground zika?

• artklub

July 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

and any investment in you has been a waste too!

14. Passerby

July 23, 2016 at 6:41 am

EllasarisElendil you are a special kind of ridiculous to have made that statement. These people have worked hard and qualified to represent your country internationally and you think it’s ok to rain on their parade?……and already you profess failure on to them before they even compete?….
    If you cannot be kind please stay mute.

15. Spunky

July 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

This is a mess.

16. artklub

July 23, 2016 at 7:00 am

Ok everybody sing it with me:
    “SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT, COMING FORTH TO CARRY ME HOME…..”
    Slavery songs for Nigerian Slaves who walk with Invisible Chains.

17. Victor Adegoke

July 23, 2016 at 8:49 am

If the Govt cannot support its citizens, let the Nigerian participants boycott the Olympics. Is that simple. Back to economic issues that can change your life. Despite the economic waterloo,people are still making money. You can become a Landlord with less capital at ibeju- lekki, Ikorodu, Magboro etc. Contact us on 08052467442 for more details.

18. Tosin

July 23, 2016 at 9:37 am

🙁
    🙁
    🙁 🙁

🙁 🙁 🙁

19. Person

July 23, 2016 at 9:43 am

I’m going to donate but walahi, it won’t be better for Nigerian politicians and their family members chopping our money. See how they’ve reduced our athletes to beggars. In fact, I think the athletes should boycott the event. If this lady makes it to Rio for the relay event and her team members don’t, will she run a 4×400 by herself? SHAME!!!! ???

• Psalm

July 23, 2016 at 11:59 am

Love how you started @Person. BVs, after all the comments let’s endeavour to donate, however little. Every kobo counts.
      Back in the days when Charly Boy Show was still on tv, the crew once went to the streets to ask the question: ‘Can you die for Nigeria?’. I can’t recall any answer in the affirmative. I bet if you carry out a similar survey today the result will still be the same or worse.
      Nothing unites Nigeria like sports. Only in sports do Nigerians unanimously insist on merit irrespective of tribe. But the government prefers to invest in ventures that either enrich the politicians or inflict hardship and division on the polity.
      Believe it or not, some government officials will still go to Rio to patronise nude clubs. I just read that the head of customs travelled to London for some unnamed official blablabla, on a first class ticket that cost about #3.5m. But athletes who want fly Nigeria’s flag are not provided with the cheapest flight tickets.
      I don’t understand. (1)The government cannot sponsor the athletes (2) the corporate bodies and other philanthropists are afraid of making donations because the same government will chastise them (the donors), under the guise of fighting corruption.
      It’s a shame that an intending Olympian has to go through this. Let’s watch out on how the government officials react to the news, if they ever do.
      It’s equally ridiculous that some comments here bring in Zika, inability to win medals and possibility they won’t win any medal in Rio. If other countries consider these factors, there won’t be anything called Olympic Games. And remember: they want to represent Nigeria. Just wondering if any of those commenters has lifted a broomstick for Nigeria.

20. Naijatalk

July 23, 2016 at 11:20 am

Ha! Alu! Alu!
    Nothing else to say but shame

21. mrs chidukane

July 23, 2016 at 5:03 pm

What a shame

22. ElessarisElendil

July 24, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Normally I’d have ignored, but it has to be said if nothing then for posterity. Problem with Nigerians is despite all the complaining about leaders you guys aren’t different from them. How different is the logic being used here from the one that allows billions to still be sunk into Ajaokuta? You often have to tear things down to rebuild them, but nope Nigerians refuse to cerebral.

The real question isn’t about the Rio Olympics but rather about why we fail to dominate, we could skip this one for good reason (Zika and poor economic situation) and use the intervening period to revamp our sporting capabilities with an eye towards the future. But who am I kidding, let’s be shortsighted about it.