News

Nigerian Man Emmanuel Chidi Namdi beaten to Death in Hate Attack in Italy

BellaNaija.com

Emmanuel Chidi Namdi and Girlfriend

Emmanuel Chidi Namdi and Girlfriend

A 36-year-old Nigerian seeking asylum in Italy has been beaten to death outside the Italian refuge where he was staying, AGI News Agency reports.

Emmanuel Chidi Namdi was walking with his girlfriend in the heart of the small town of Paolo Calcinora on Tuesday, when they had racial abuse heaped on them by a supporter of a local football club.

The report said they were called “monkeys”.

This led to an altercation between him and the football fan, and Namdi who fled Nigeria due to Boko Haram insurgency, was brutally beaten on the head with a steel bar until he became unconscious.

He never regained consciousness and died in the hospital on Wednesday.

Namdi had been living in the area for eight months and was lodged in a shelter run by Catholic charity Caritas.

His girlfriend, 24 had lost her baby after a perilous Mediterranean crossing.

1. Naijatalk

July 7, 2016 at 11:56 am

Wow…..RIP Emmanuel. Who takes up and fights your case now

2. Exotique

July 7, 2016 at 11:59 am

Not to be insensitive but which Boko Haram insurgency made him flee Nigeria? This man is from South Eastern Nigeria! His fellow Igbo brothers are hustling all over Nigeria, even in the North. He had to cross the mediterranean and meet his untimely death where he thought the grass was greener. I know things are hard in Nigeria but it saddens me how our youths prefer to go waste their lives elsewhere than try to make it here.

• Naijatalk

July 7, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Still very insensitive and idiotic. I have family in the North who had to flee when sharia riots broke out. People lost their lives and property. You cannot tell you them to go hustle elsewhere in the country when they have lost their livelihood. If the late Agbaheme’s husband and child apply for and are granted asylum, would you also tell them that their brothers are hustling all over Nigeria? Do you know his story? Quit sipping from the cup of foolishness.

• tunmi

July 7, 2016 at 2:30 pm

His life could very well have been wanted by the Nigerian police, bad roads, careless drivers, ebola, malaria, Boko Haram, Food poisoning from lack of regulation, poverty, etc

• nene+

July 7, 2016 at 7:43 pm

That was a very foolish comment!!! Does it matter if he ran for Boko Haram or thieves or his villagers or witches? Has freedom of movement been abrogated?
      Where is your empathy? The young fellow stabbed in UK should have also been in Nigeria? So Nimbo community( SE) and Agatu (NC)communities are not under threat from BH and herdsmen? Please step aside with your ignorance!

Back to my Nigerians overseas I beg every one to be patient and tolerant. The world is overtly hostile! Racism, tribalism and hate abound even in Nigeria! Listen to Donald Trump hate speeches and observe his racist followers.
      The economy back in Nigeria is very horrible….so please ignore those throwing bananas at you, be polite to authorities even when you smell racism.
      A little smile, a little politeness, a decent dress sense, …..can save live(s).

• Udo

July 7, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Exotique, in all honesty you’re so incredibly foolish. You don’t know his story. Never judge a human being, ever – especially when you don’t have the complete facts about their history or their situation.

3. kilipot

July 7, 2016 at 12:36 pm

This is Just so sad.

4. ybbil

July 7, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Girlfriend or Wife?

• Chinedu

July 7, 2016 at 1:48 pm

@ybbil so after reading this story and the tragedy the only think that sparked your attention is whether his girlfriend is a wife or girlfriend. I pity Africans. Holier than thus for nothing.

5. Ephi

July 7, 2016 at 1:58 pm

This is becoming way too rampant these days, haba, wetin?! It’s just too sad. In a country where you would think you are safe. So much darkness all over the world, man’s inhumanity to man.

6. lifeisbeautiful

July 7, 2016 at 2:16 pm

That’s f-ed up. He escaped his own country to save his life only to be killed another strange land. RIP

7. nyxx

July 7, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I get @exotique’s point, in as much as this post is very sensitive, but u cant hide i truth which exotique wrote. He’s igbo, atleast bono haram doesn’t operate in the east,and again black Americans Are being shot here and there, same on this racism, talk more of an African refugee in ITALY…, I dnt believe in running to Yankee to make a living, maybe cos I believe that there’s lots of opportunities here, I believe just going there for holiday. This type of news just saddens my heart. There’s surely hope for Nigeria.

• Naijatalk

July 7, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Aren’t you myopic? Isn’t Boko Haram persecuting Christians as well? Aren’t there Igbo Christians in the North. Are all Igbos eastern residents? Are all Igbos born in the East? Again do you know his story? Who are you to judge? If you are incapable of sound reasoning and expression, please read and move on. Don’t be the display model of a failed educational system.

8. tony

July 7, 2016 at 3:01 pm

It’s just disgusting how hatred increases by the hour. Black lives are taken for granted everywhere. We really need empowerment within the African continent. Enough with the horrible treatment abroad while our demented politicians and administrators squander national resources. Stories like this need to make African headlines but hey we have no powerful media houses to tell our own stories . If this happened to a brit it would be all over the news and some Africans would cry more the bereaved.

And to that stupid forumite asking of wife or girlfriend just shut up. I don’t know how insensitive and stupid some of u can be. Sister Mary or Brother Joseph how relevant is that question??

• @tony

July 7, 2016 at 3:48 pm

u are so right. our leaders have made us economic refugees all over the world. many ppl in Africa want to leave. go to any international airport in Africa and see the exodus! and that I ppl with visas, tourist visa aka immigrants…so sad.

9. Psamtufo-fv

July 7, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I was at an event organised for widows, in Abuja, in the year 2013. About one thousand widows, who, with their children, were being supported by this charitable organisation, had been brought in from all over Northern Nigeria, for the annual week-long event. Several of the widows spoke before the event was over. I was shocked to hear, as many of them spoke their stories, the same words, unconsciously, almost one after the other, defining the specific moment, and the specific circumstance(s) that tragically and dramatically changed their status and lives forever: “”It was when they announced Jonathan as President””/””It was when they said Jonathan had won””/ “”That time when they were counting the polls and they said Jonathan was leading, that he had won””, These words, variously expressed, were always the precursor to the telling of the riots that broke out immediately, by their testimony of their experiences, as the muslims around them, went on murderous rampage, on Christians specifically, and on Southerners.

Many of these widows, were Pastors’ wives. I heard more than one of them tell of how their late husbands, pastors, when, whilst on the sudden, enforced run for their lives, with angry murderous, armed mobs closing in on their family, had been directed, commanded, pleaded with, by their late husbands to flee into the bush, flee to the hills, escape and run as fast as they could with the children, never to look back, never to stop for a moment, whilst he, the pastor, the husband, the father, the head of the family, stayed behind, stopped running, so that the bloodthirsty mob would catch up (as they inevitably otherwise would have with all of them) with him, and occupy themselves with him, thus buying more time, and the hope of life for his family, at the expense of his own. I heard this from more than one widow. Some, it was on the road, whilst on the run; some, it was at their home, hearing the mob, the screams and useless pleas of the victims before they were silenced, that their pastor husbands, especially hearing the mob chanting for him, forced them out of their homes by the back door with the children, telling them to run for dear life into the bush, telling them not to cry, not to cling, telling them that they would meet again in eternity. There were widows whose husbands had died in other ways, natural causes, accidents, etc. There were widows whose husbands had not been pastors. There were, however, many, in that number of a thousand widows, who became widows, and/or lost a child or more, and whose pastor husbands were violently murdered by their muslim, northern neighbours/fellow citizens when Goodluck Jonathan won at the polls. And most of these women/widows were northerners themselves.

And, Christian.

I will never forget that event. It burst my naive, blissfully ignorant Lagos bubble. What shocked me was not only what I heard but that to those indigenous to the north of this country, and to those who have lived in that region for many years, what was news to me was not news but extremely common and not at all a new nor recent phenomenon. I heard of so many horrors that day, apart from the widows’ testimonies. I will never forget those widows’ testimonies. I will never forget those words and those so very similar testimonies, in different voices, different diction, coloured by the different personalities of the women who told them but all telling the same story, all bearing the same witness of mindless, blind, hate and evil, mob murder, arson, death and destruction; and, in the midst of it all, like little, yet fiercely burning, inextinguishable lights, the witness of selfless acts of heroism, of the character of true husbands, of the character of true fathers, of the character of true men, of the character of true men of God, of the character of JESUS CHRIST.

• Aboki

July 7, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Islama BAD!

• think about it

July 8, 2016 at 12:23 am

@Psamtufo-fv, I’m at work reading your comments and crying. It hurts my soul to hear about these testimonies of fellow women going through such horror and untold suffering.
      Many people come on this blog and leave very insensitive, judgmental, ignorant & hateful comments on various topics; but I want to thank you for shedding light on those who need it the most. God bless you.
      I will never comprehend what could cause a fellow human being to inflict this kind of suffering on some one else.
      The reward for the victims and their families can only be found in the bosom of our heavenly Father.

10. Suwa

July 7, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Rest in peace

11. Nigeria Business Review

July 7, 2016 at 5:42 pm

The struggle to cross over. Is it really worth it? RIP Nnamdi. Our govt needs to do the right thing so the citizens stop running away

12. nyxx

July 7, 2016 at 11:27 pm

And u are a display of model successful educational system? Wow!! Well…first of all, you need to calm down , so much anger in your system, I was based in Jos before I relocated to the east, dats the point I was trying to make ,and a least I know how it feels to live in fear. No argument or hate comment can undo his death, with that said …May his soul RIP

• Naijatalk

July 8, 2016 at 12:22 am

No honey,not anger, just an irresistible urge to correct ignorance. I Consider it my civic duty.

13. Mabel

July 8, 2016 at 5:09 am

Soon we will all have to return to our original places and leave these borrowed lands alone.

I hope Namdii has found peace with his creator on the other side. My heart goes out to his girlfriend who will forever have that imagine of him being beaten to death in her mind. I pray that she gets counseling and find healing in this wicked world.