BN TV

Open Marriage?! Oscar-Winning Actress Mo’Nique & her husband reveal How They Make it Work

BellaNaija.com

Wow.
It has been a few years since Oscar winner Mo’Nique revealed that she and her husband, Sidney Hicks have an open marriage.

In a 2007 New York Times profile, she mentions that she and Hicks have an open marriage:

“We have an agreement that we’ll always be honest, and if sex happens with another person, that’s not a deal breaker for us, that’s not something where we’ll have to say, ‘Oh God, we’ve got to go to divorce court because you cheated on me.’ Because we don’t cheat.”

She repeated this view later on the January 28, 2008 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show. She told Oprah that in her prior marriages, she was constantly searching for “that extra oomph”. Mo’Nique explained,

“When I said I had an open marriage, people automatically jumped to sex. They automatically went there. But I’ve been best friends with my husband since we were 14 years old. When we say open, we’re very honest. There are no secrets. Oftentimes you have people that are married, but they’re strangers, and we refuse to be those people”. She concluded, “I’ve had to sneak and I’ve had to lie, and I don’t want to do that any more. But my husband is so awesome and so fine and so—oh, girl….No other man can compare”

In a new interview with TV Show “The Preachers“, Mo’Nique reveals that the open marriage was her idea!
She explained that most people assumed the open marriage was her husband’s idea because she was a “big woman” with a “handsome man”.

Mo’Nique says that “I’m is an entertainer…and there may be times when I feel like being with other men”.

On her husband’s reaction after she posed the idea of an open marriage over 10 years ago, she said;

“My best friend (husband) said to me, ‘Mama, I’ve loved you since the 10th grade. Do you think you being with another man is going to have anything to do with me loving you? Then he said, do you know if you can be with other men, I can be with other women?’ That’s not what I meant now. But it was my idea because I wanted to be open and honest with the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with.”

Hosted by John Gray, Dr. E Dewey Smith Jr., Orrick Quick and Dr. Jamal Bryant, THE PREACHERS is an all-new talk show featuring four dynamic and outspoken preachers who are known for their electrifying and unique takes on pop culture, news events and spirituality.

It’s interesting that the co-host (Jamal Bryant) who is a Pastor made a joke about how he “had an open relationship with his wife but she did not know…” That led to the breakup of his marriage. You can watch the story below.

Back to Mo’Nique and Sidney, the couple have been married for 10 years and are blessed with 2 children from their relationship. BNers, over to you!

Additional Info Source: Wiki

1. Fleur

July 15, 2016 at 2:11 am

Not marriage. Just a nice little arrangement with some extras

• Right!

July 15, 2016 at 8:36 am

oh yes!! open marriage, its all fun and games til a lady gets pregnant by her husband or she gets pregnant by another guy. Its really not marriage, just a little living arrangement like you said.

2. ElessarisElendil

July 15, 2016 at 2:55 am

See the knowing smirk on his face………..Real Nigga right there.

Serious note, the pre-nup’s probably too tight.

3. Joke

July 15, 2016 at 5:00 am

Jamal Bryant sha! The man na correct disgrace as a man of God.

4. Naijatalk

July 15, 2016 at 5:09 am

Nonsense and Ingredients. Their business, their madness. If and when you have reason to cry later, no tissue here for you.

5. vikky

July 15, 2016 at 6:05 am

Not approving her views totally. However, its better to be honest with your partner. There are couples out there who are in marriages, comitting adultery and lieing to their spouse. Thus having a sham marriage of pretenses. And those same couples will be calling God and going to church while they secretly cheat on their spouse.

6. A

July 15, 2016 at 8:39 am

It’s Nigerian women you should be asking how they make their one-sided open marriage work. Both the ones who are practically single mothers with a legal husband, to the ones who still give marriage advice.

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 15, 2016 at 2:15 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahaha! this right here is the real question.

7. Laila

July 15, 2016 at 8:51 am

Love it or hate it, we too have our own epidemic of “open marriages” in this Naija. The differences being;

1. Permission is not sought from the wife.
    2. What’s good for the goose is apparently not for the gander as Naija men won’t hear of it.
    3. Lies abound instead of honesty.

So while it’s not for me, I at least applaud them for being honest with each other.

8. Bimbo

July 15, 2016 at 9:10 am

We have an epidemic sorry a pandemic of one – sided open marriages in nigeria. It’s okay if the women join in and make us a country of proper open marriages ! What’s good for the goose should be great for the gander

9. ogbon

July 15, 2016 at 10:03 am

Bners over to you, see life so this people are taking us as unserious fellas.They know we will talk and fight overselves ova this news item

10. Paul Adeyemo

July 15, 2016 at 10:47 am

I will still commend them for their honesty. Let’s be realistic how many Nigeria women will agree to open marriage. I know the men won’t hear of it but how many women will also agree to it. Even in US, How many couples are bold enough to accept it. If a Naija man agrees to an open marriage to a Naija woman, 2 things will definitely happen (1) he will abdicate all his responsibility in the home to you the wife (2) At least 2 women will get pregnant for him. It will be total chaos.

• vikky

July 15, 2016 at 12:56 pm

What you should know is that most of the Nigerian men are already in an open marriage (consciously and unconsciously) but their wife can never confront them about it even though she knows. Neither would they allow their wife to have an open marriage or bring up the discussion. Its just the lack of honesty and pretenses to the public that bothers me about Nigerian marriages these days.

• missnk

July 15, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Most Nigerian women are in by force open marriage oh. Some know, (like my aunty) but she’s financially dependent on her husband so she has turned to incessant prayers while her husband galavants his life away

11. nene

July 16, 2016 at 1:17 am

i just dont think an open marriage makes sense. people shouldnt compare this with men and women who cheat in nigerian marriages. it’s not the same thing.

12. B.E

July 17, 2016 at 11:25 am

Nansense!!!!!!!!!

13. bree

July 18, 2016 at 2:10 pm

miss parkers awww…..if u remember miss Parkers and u are single,my sister you are in God’s hands.LMAO