Connect with us

News

Two Years After… Authorities to Suspend Search for flight MH370 after Current Search Area is Completed

NAN

Published

 on

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 25: A Malaysia Airlines plane prepares to go out onto the runway and passes by a stationary Chinese Ilyushin 76 aircraft (top) at Perth International Airport on March 25, 2014 in Perth Australia. The Australian Maritime Safety Authority has suspended the air and sea search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 due to poor weather conditions in the search area. Search operations are expected to resume tomorrow. (Photo by Greg Wood - Pool/Getty Images)

The hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is to be suspended after the current search area is completed.

This was indicated in a letter sent on Friday in Kuala Lumpur to the relatives of the passengers by the governments of Malaysia, Australia and China.

The decision was made in Putrajaya during a meeting of the transport ministers from the three countries, which are conducting the search for the Beijing-bound aircraft that disappeared on March 8, 2014.

The ministers at the agreed that should the aircraft not be located in the current search area and in the absence of credible new evidence leading to the identification of a specific location of the aircraft, the search would not end.

They said rather, it would be suspended upon the completion of the 120,000 square kilometer search area.

Malaysian Transport Minister, Liow Lai, confirmed the decision to suspend the search.

He said so far, 90 per cent of the current 120,000 square kilometres of the search area in the southern Indian Ocean have been completed, but still without a trace of the missing aircraft.

Liow said the hunt in the remaining area has been delayed due to bad weather.

Relatives of the 239 people aboard the missing aircraft appealed to the governments of China, Malaysia and Australia to continue looking until the plane is found.

Grace Nathan, whose mother was among the passengers, said that they must keep their promise to continue the search until the plane is found.

She said no matter how bad there must be a clue. “We need to have closure”.

Photo Credit: Greg Wood – Pool/Getty Images

NAN

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

2 Comments

  1. Ada

    July 22, 2016 at 2:46 pm

    The parts of the aircraft that have shown up so far were from the coast of Reunion Island, Madagascar & Mozambique. Why arent they searching in that area?

  2. Tee

    July 22, 2016 at 3:15 pm

    Crashed victims?!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Star Features

Advertisement
css.php