News

Facebook User Shares how She was Allegedly Harassed by her Pastor during “Retreat”

Honey Phoenix PostA Facebook User Honey Phoenix Evarist has shared a story of how her pastor allegedly harassed her sexually at his home during a retreat.

According to her, she was 22 at the time and her mother had sent her to the pastor’s house to undergo deliverance because she “refused to act like a christian”.

She wrote:

In 2013 my mum told me I needed deliverance because I refused to act like a “christian” she took me to a pastor of Omega Fire Ministries (OFM) he said I will do a retreat with him for one month so i went back home to pack my stuff.

This man would always enter my room without knocking. His hands would linger around my breasts when he hugs me…I was uncomfortable but i tried to bring my “mind out of the gutter”.

We used to have night prayers and he would prolong the prayers till his heavily pregnant wife got tired and he’l encourage her to go to bed and rest…once she leaves he starts to tell me how much he loves me and how I don’t need deliverance because there is nothing wrong with me,and how i am a nice girl who her parents misunderstood.

I was not all that surprised and i tried to take advantage of the situation. I would miss prayers or evening service because i knew he wont do anything about it.

But then his wife started to notice that i had too much freedom.and what surprised me was that he did not seem to care…he would try to kiss me when his wife was just one room away…he would wink at me when her back was turned…he would hold my hand at the back seat of the car when we are returning from night vigil. He was like a lovestruck teenager.

I began to avoid him and it made him more desperate…one time he asked if i was avoiding him and I made him know i did not like what he was doing and he told me if i want his P.A could arrange for us to have a quiet time somewhere.

I had to tell the Assistant pastor all that was going on. I still recall the tears and the look of unbelief on his face that night. The assistant did nothing about it…but advised me to pack my stuff and leave before things get out of hand. But I couldn’t leave because the “retreat” was not over.

One night at the night vigil at OFM headquarters in Auchi i went to confide in a friend…and my father’s driver overhead everything and he told my dad once we returned to Abuja.

The sad part about it all was that my parents called the pastor and his wife to ask them…instead of me. And they heaped it all on me. They said i have been misbehaving because I am tired of the “retreat” and i sleep during prayers, I don’t go to the evening services and i have come up with accusations because i want to go.

The good thing was that I moved back home.

Till today I wonder what sort of brains the pastor’s wife had in her head.

While some of the commenters expressed sadness at the story, others blatantly refused to believe in what she said because “there are three sides to a story”.

One commenter said:

Why is it that most parent don’t believe their daughters whenever this kind of issue comes up. My mum’s tenant daughter was suffering serious sexual abuse from her aunt’s husband (her mother’s elder sister’s husband). The girl ran away from them & came to report to her mother but she didn’t believed,the man was still even coming to have sexual intercourse with the girl in her mother’s house whenever the mother is not in. He usually tell the girl never to inform anyone or else she will die. The girl was suffering in silence due to her mother’s non-challant attitude till the day I caught the man in the act. I gave him the most humiliating embarrassment of his life that day.

See other comments:

• My cousin is encountering similar situation. This is a serious issue! A certain prayer warrior that her mum always bring to the house because the girl is “possessed” . It’s a very sad story. It hurts me everyday.
  • I came to check your page out, and honestly it’s obvious your parents were right, going through your photos you indeed needed a deliverance. How true your story is I can’t tell, but I have definitely seen more crazier folks than you are making up stories. So I dare not believe until we hear the side of the alleged pastor.
  • In as much as i try to believe your story…. I seriously can’t cos there’s always three sides of every story. Your story.. The pastor’s story and the real truth. My dear you just told us your own side of the story. We have to wait for the pastors side then the side of the real truth..  Sorry i doubt your story……

1. Prince

August 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm

You are foolish and you seriously need that deliverance. You knew he was married yet you agreed to be with him just to miss prayers and services.
    The demons in you need more than Omega Fire Ministry Pastor.

• King Bae

August 25, 2016 at 5:13 pm

You are so quick to type, did you read???

• Igbeyinadun

August 25, 2016 at 5:15 pm

You must be an olodo.

• Kanyin

August 25, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Really???!!!! ? Smh….

• WWJD?

August 25, 2016 at 5:34 pm

That the lady had/has issues which need God’s intervention (and how many of us in the world is that a description of) can never make the blame for the pastor’s alleged misconduct and adultery (adultery is not just sexual penetration) hers, neither can her alleged issues ever be used to justify the pastor’s alleged actions.

He is a pastor. She is either an unbeliever (being born to Christianity-espousing parents/in a ‘Christian home’ is not the Biblical qualification for who is a Believer/Christian) or baby Christian. It is clear her ‘Christianity’ is still at a very shallow and superficial not very knowledgeable stage. She was taken to one who is a teacher, who is expected to be knowledgeable, mature, experienced, wise and grounded in true Scriptural principles and be a model of true Christian character.

Please allow me some random thoughts:

I was not there. The Word of God teaches caution on matters relating to those anointed by God, even when they do evil or are in the wrong. The thing is the anointing of God i.e. God the Holy Spirit is on them, so, from various examples in God’s Word not the teaching of any man, I have learnt to be circumspect in how I speak and even in whether I speak/in what forums I speak concerning pastors. It is not to condone evil, it is simply to be circumspect in speech. Secondly, the same Word of God teaches that we are not to pass judgment or execute judgment on a person/in a case based only on the testimony of one witness. Even the law of man dictates that an accused person must have his/her day in court. Both/all sides of the story must be heard without prejudice.

All that said, sometimes, cliches are cliches and are not truisms. They do not apply in all situations. It is not in every situation that there is one party’s side, the other party’s side, and then, there is the truth. Frequently, there is one party’s side which is also the truth, and then, there is the other party or parties side which is not the truth.

And yes, there are times when everyone, absolutely everyone, a whole crowd, community, network, world of voices, everyone else is wrong and one person, one man, one woman, one girl, one boy, one child, one accused is right, is innocent. Just remember Jesus Christ before Pontius Pilate. Remember Paul the Apostle before Felix and appealing to Caesar. Everyone from the very highest (spiritual) authorities to the hoi polloi, the lowest in the land, accused them both falsely.

And, whenever, you attend or watch a show, and see special effects, like fireworks and huge columns and billows of smoke on the stage, be reminded like me, that there can, indeed, be smoke without fire.

Innocents don’t have to be perfect. Innocents don’t have to be saints. Stupidity is not culpability. This is why rape victims, abuse victims don’t speak up. Even if the lady has told 100% lies, you who claim to be of Christ, can you not recognise that she really needs some kind of help and recommend or get her the help or just pray for her?

Someone is speaking out of pain, whatever the pain is, something is wrong and the person is trying to get some kind of release and/or help, even if it is just attention, it is still a call to bring attention to something that needs fixing and you just jump on her with all kinds of abuses, insults. If she snaps and goes and commits suicide, will that make your day? Will you feel righteous? Ask yourself if the spirit in you which you exhibited in your comment is the spirit of Christ. i.e. the same Jesus Christ before who the woman caught in the act of adultery was thrown, the same Jesus Christ Who went out of His itinerary and sat patiently waiting to meet with the woman at the well, the same Jesus Christ Who waited by His tomb to meet with Mary of Magdala (out of whom He had cast seven devils) after His resurrection to comfort her in her deep grief and let her know He was alive before ascending to His Father. The way Jesus Christ treated each of these women, the kind of language He used with them, the way He spoke to and with each one, the way and the manner He related to them, one and all, is that how you have behaved? Is that the same spirit you have shown?

• Nkechi

August 25, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Na wa o. Jesus cast out demons. The victims did not live under His roof or Mary’s roof. This idea of going to live in the house of a prophet is tempting.

• nwa nna

August 25, 2016 at 7:15 pm

@prince
      WTF are you smoking?! Did you read a different narrative from the rest of us before posting your BS? ssh

• ATL's finest

August 25, 2016 at 8:16 pm

@ Prince see how your ignorance has brought insults on U. Reading is fundamental & just don’t type/comment because U want to. Take your time & read, even if not all the way ( which u ain’t suppose to do) but at least, know the content . I know U’re not an Olodo so don’t act like one.

• Chichi

August 26, 2016 at 9:14 am

I can see comprehension is too hard for you.

2. Didi

August 25, 2016 at 4:43 pm

@Prince, please confirm you read the story

• Prince

August 26, 2016 at 5:44 pm

maybe i no read am well. make i read am again

3. e tire me

August 25, 2016 at 5:01 pm

someof you victims sometimes act like your brain is dead

1. why cant you tell the wife
    2. why cant you run away
    3. when it was going, why didnt you tell your mum
    4. why do you have to wait till the end of the retreat till you leave?

I mean someone is maltreating and opressing you, you still sated….. all these runs girls like Taje and you tire me o

chai

• Simon Rosemary

August 25, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Just what I wanted to say.

• le coco

August 26, 2016 at 6:56 am

Did u miss the part where the parents don’t believe… Please let’s not be daft.. If she ran away will she not still jam her parents? will thy not still behave asif she is possessed.. wont they still send her back to the retreat? pls apply sense

4. Anonymous

August 25, 2016 at 5:29 pm

My country people, these stories are real. I too was sexually assaulted several times by a prophet my mom used to send me to, cos according to her, I was a stubborn child. I remember crying each time I got back home, pleading with my mom not to send me back to the prophet’s house, but she and my grandmother will rain abuses on me and call me a possessed child that is scared of the power of the holy ghost in the prophet. So for weeks, this man slept with me at his altar on a daily basis. I had barely finished secondary school at the time, and had no one to confide in. I still haven’t spoken to anyone about it, but I still bear that grudge against my mom for sending me out for a man to devour several times and not bothering to ask why I cried each time I got back or ask why I asked not to be sent bak there again. I doubt that I can ever forgive her, ever! It baffles me how mothers hand over their daughters to men in the name of religion. I mean how can we be this foolish and senseless?? This has brought back memories and I’m crying helplessly now.

• Dr. N

August 25, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Please forgive them and move on. God will heal your scars. If u can open up to a counselor…maybe in a diff church or even a therapist, do so. Dont live wt d pain
      Those men r wolves in sheep clothing. God did not send them

• Californiabawlar

August 25, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Dr. N but how can she forgive them just like that? If I’ll make any suggestions about forgiveness she definitely needs to confront her mum and grandma for the process to even begin. I’m sorry but forgiveness is earned. They have to apologize!
      Our parents act like they and even us aren’t sexual beings. Like they don’t know we have vaginas and can be taken advice of. They exposed us to a lot of unnecessary dangers and then when sh*t hits the roof they’ll blame the devil or worse still even us!
      Anonymous, I’m so sorry for your hurt…please don’t cry. I agree with the other comments that you need to start the healing process. It’s never too late. Talk to your mum. She’s a woman. She’s human. Don’t be scared to confront her. Also seek counseling if you can.
      Dang even me I’m crying.

• The Real Oma

August 25, 2016 at 7:12 pm

OMG, your story is so-o painful to read. Please stop feeling bad about it, and i think you should discuss it with your home, it might help you find healing. And forgive yourself as well. you were young and helpless.
      Cheers!

• nwa nna

August 25, 2016 at 7:13 pm

@anonymous,
      Sorry dear… You’ve to forgive your mom as hard as it may seem for your own sake.. Forgiveness isn’t for the offender, but for the offended in order to be able to heal and move on.. Seek counseling if you’re able to

• Kadara

August 25, 2016 at 7:41 pm

@You need to speak to your Mum about what that man did and your greviances with her. It’s easy for people to say just forgive but truly it’s hard when you haven’t had a chance to even unburden yourself to the person. So please call your Mum and tell her everything and I’am sure she will apologize and then the healing and real forgiveness can begin. If your Grandma is alive you can do the same. Speaking about it with the 2 people who put you in that situation ( through their ignorance) is crucial . Also if that man is still in a position of authority in a Church or anywhere else that gives him access to other children , I beg you please report him to whatever higher leadership is in place. We have to stop those monsters from assaulting more children. You can just write an anonymous letter to his Church and give details that will make it hard for him to deny without exposing your identity . God bless you

• Tiana

August 25, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Eeeya sorry .. pls dont let the episodes stand in the way of your happiness… he will be purnished one day.. its a common thing … like an taboo in the black community.. Ppl.try to pretend it doesnt happen in the black community. SO SORRY

• marietta

August 25, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Eyah. Please take heart. God will heal your tears.
      My parents also made me go through deliverance through the years. I wasn’t sexually abused but the pastor loved to verbally abuse me. He called me a witch in front and behind my parents back. And when I remember I just wish I could see him and insult him in front of people.
      I’ve kind of moved on. I am married to a wonderful guy who constantly supports me and makes me forget the hell I lived in with my parents.
      Please try and face your life and better yourself. That’s one way of healing.

• chi

August 26, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’m sorry you went through this. A lot of women go through sexual molestation from these so called prophets and until mothers realize that their prayers are even more potent than those men, this kind of act will continue.
      I suggest you call your mum, now that you are grown and have a frank talk with her. For your sake, you need closure so you won’t carry the pains of the past all through your life. Nobody deserves to carry such load.
      Talk to your mum, find closure and move on with life. Your best days are still ahead, don’t let a useless prophet rob you of the greatness you can achieve in this life.

5. rook

August 25, 2016 at 6:45 pm

while I strongly believe such things happen…my question is what is the guarantee that this particular story is true and wasn’t made up?
    just asking! I have learnt to be slow to past judgement until am truly sure!
    As a warning to other sisters (and maybe brothers) …pls be careful with so called church people! My pastor always say the church is a mixed multitude..activity in church doesn’t guarantee holiness! secondly man at his best…is still man…meaning he can fall! so never take chances….something similar happened to Tye tribette…he and his wife were counselling one of their group members…after a while one thing led to another…and tye tribette slept with the lady…that was what led to the disbanding of G.A (his music group)….so please let’s not take chances…I am not asking u to be unnecessarily suspicious… but just know that people no matter how great they are can make mistakes!

• Californiabawlar

August 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

What rubbish are you saying?
      Have you read the comment from @Anonymous?
      If I’m reading correctly you’re saying Tye slept with the person…how tf is that even a good example? Why are you making excuses for people rapists and pervs?
      Mssschew do me a favor and get out of here with your silly open mindedness.

• rook

August 25, 2016 at 9:31 pm

it seems you have a problem with comprehension, am I making excuses for the pastor or warning people to be careful about the “so called church people”
      the Tye tribette example was just to buttress the fact that even the so-called highly anointed guys mess up…so nobody shud put themselves in strange situations with these ppl because u think they are pastors!
      in many old school churches they don’t even let guys sit with ladies for too long, not to talk about entering a ladies room to conduct deliverance. in my church for instance this issue would have been handle strictly by my pastors wife or another female pastor….so the issue of we together a room and one thing led t another never arises!
      maybe you should understand someone’s point first…before you launch attacks!

• Californiabawlar

August 25, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Don’t blame me for your lack of story telling skills. Also so what was the point of your first sentence? Why dismiss it as made up. Also why call rapists and pervs ‘great people that made mistakes’. Sorry not sorry, stupid still came to mind when I reread your comment.

• rook

August 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

@californibawler….u must be a special kind of idiot, to think that what comes to your mind matters to me!
      My dear foolish one, I am only responsible for what I say, not what you understand. What u understand is entirely your business.
      The Headline says “ALLEGED”….meaning nothing has been verified! What’s your proof that this really happened? let me guess a random girl accuses a man on facebook, and because she is a Girl… she is saying the truth?
      And if you didn’t notice me using the phrase “so called” before those people I called great…..then my dear I can’t take responsibility for your sight or reading deficiency.
      The truth is you are hurt and bitter from something that transpired in your past, so you lash out at everybody spreading your venom…well my dear I hope you find healing for your own sake….I don’t know and you don’t know…I couldn’t care less about your opinion.. even if I was paid to…you are faceless entity!

• Fisayo

August 26, 2016 at 10:43 am

@rook

Just Shut Up!

6. Tincan

August 25, 2016 at 7:00 pm

We truly perish for lack of knowledge. Which biblical reference/scripture gives the precedent for sending a child to spend 1 month “being delivered”, parents/guardians in absentia? I’m baffled. People be treating the very kids God Blessed them with, like they are some sort of pets.

7. maymay

August 25, 2016 at 7:09 pm

u r a big liar b**ch

8. nwa nna

August 25, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Nigerian so called men of God been pervs since 1801..
    Nigeria pastor’s/ wield way too much influence & power over their members & our society at large, it is rather unfortunate when sane individuals refuse to question the motives of their so called men of God and hold them accountable when they err!!
    The only reason these people get away with the kind of stuff they do is because they know how ignorant & gullible we Nigerians are when it comes to anything religion!!

9. Kikelola

August 25, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Reading first-hand accounts like this makes me wonder if Nigerian parents truly know how to rear their children, and whether they actually love them or view children as burdens when they’re no longer infants. It’s cruel and almost inhumane to cast your child off on another person to be corrected, talk less of that person now using that position of power to abuse the person. Religion and irresponsible parenting, and willful ignorance are such a deadly mix.

10. tunmi

August 25, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I am so glad she spoke out. We are getting there, slowly but surely. Of course, there will be those that doubt. But please do not focus your energies on them. You know your truths, and I am glad she and many more are speaking out.

11. SMH...Let's Just Admit it

August 25, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Nigerian parents particularly those from the baby boomer generation are F***ked up.

Call it being brainwashed from years of colonial education, growing up stuck between primitive African practices vs the materialistic lure of the modern world, repressed sexuality, unrefined attitudes towards life or whatever.

They have proven to be stark failures and their dividends can be seen with how messed up Nigerian society is today. We angry and desperate youths and adults of today, the fruit, did not fall far from the tree

From our foolish leaders of yesteryears to the aging shoe cobbler hawking the streets. BIG CRASS FAILURES THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM.

• Lala

August 26, 2016 at 1:58 am

Preach!!!

12. deb

August 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I’m so sorry about your situation. Please find the courage to tell your mum&confrontthe prophet if you can still trace him. You might also need to go for deliverance. Can you also name te prophet? Thanks.

13. Versace

August 25, 2016 at 8:37 pm

My sister was a Victim and it’s one the catalyst that pushed my dad to early grave.

14. Deji

August 25, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Pastor life good oh! Flex wit diff babes, fly private jet, expensive wardrobe, building personal empires…

• Wendy

August 25, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Really? That’s the moral of the story to you? How is rape flexing?
      We see you! Awon rapist oshi!
      Poor attempt at humor or sarcasm. I’m

• Mama

August 25, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I bet the sarcasm is lost on you, pele.

• Wendy

August 26, 2016 at 5:54 am

Mama goat…come back and collect your own.
      Why are you betting that the sarcasm is lost on me? It obviously is… I typed it out clearly, thanks captain obvious. In the same vain though, I can see that common sense is lost on you. Olodo!
      If you can’t see that the root of this idiots attempt at sarcasm lies in the fact that most Nigerian men will give anything to make money so that they can live out the barbaric fantasy that he typed, then you’re equally as perverted as he is.

15. anonyyy

August 25, 2016 at 10:25 pm

These things happen for real. I grew up in a very religious home. All kinds and sorts of pastors would come to our house. They would carry out deliverance sessions on us the children and all sorts. There was a particular one who came to the house and was kept in the guest room. He had a wife and children o! This man asked that we the girls come into the room one after the other. He started with my cousin, touched her all over but she didn’t budge. I also got into the room for my turn. He hugged me so tightly, was rubbing my breast and all that, next, he said to me, “daughter of Zion remove your dress. I did remove my dress. I don’t know what came over me. I just acted really naive and then he asked me to go. Somehow, my mother and sister sensed something about the man and asked him to leave. Somehow, we all got talking and that’s when experiences were relayed.

• omoh

August 26, 2016 at 8:40 am

My Mum was worried abt my lack of suitors so 2yrs ago she took me to a CAC pastor and this guy mixed all sorts of concussion that u will only find in a babalawo’s house, told me I will have to orgasm inside a calabash bcos its needed to perform a ritual, on the day of the orgasm I noticed there was a white substance in the calabasha, pastor said to finger myself so I could come but bcos I’m not some1 who is easily aroused I couldn’t, pastor volunteered to finger me and I agreed but afta sometime I came to my senses and told him I will not continue with it. When I got home my Mum asked abt what went down but I couldn’t bring myself to tell her infact I resented her for it but I found the courage to tell a close friend of Mum who told her and she apologised to me. Moral of d story is dat no denomination is left out, bcos I neva expected that from a CAC pastor. I still love CAC bcos of d prayers and teaching but I’ve become very wary of pastors even find it difficult to go to church. It happened to me as an adult who could av said no but some of these pple are very diabolical that it takes d grace of God to be free from them.

• Arin

August 26, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Pleas don’t take my question personal, how old are you?

16. Mabel

August 25, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Why are ppl afraid to get loud when they are violated? You get on the bus, train, plane there will be a man somewhere trying to cop a feel or rub himself on you, school, party, club, at home, church, wherever. There is always some man or boy somewhere who wants to touch your body suggestively. I am so sick of this, that as a woman you cannot be left alone to live in peace. I will chance it to say that I believe at least 80% of women and girls globally have been touched suggestively by someone at some point in their life.

17. Trust

August 26, 2016 at 1:22 am

Hmmm, I have not seen any reasonable reason to doubt any part of this story because there are even worst cases. Our then parents were so strict and at the same time naive, like they could trade anything to get anything they wanted their children to become. I believe the mother must have sent her there with the best intentions. I was also seen as an unbeliever by my S. U stunch mother and she was always sending me to a faithful brothers(a bachelor) house for intensive preaching to know if I would become born again and become faithful with her fellowship but I have always been lucky that the guy never made an attempt to touch me or something but it’s only now that I can know that it was a big risk which God sheltered me from. My mum also reported me to a distance uncle after she heard that I was wearing trousers in school(year one in Uni) . She told me to visit the uncle and spend the weekend in his house besides the wife and family resides in another state. When I got to his place that night he advised I sleep in his room so he would have all the time at night to advise me, the next thing I know he removed all his clothes and started begging me for sex. Being a virgin at that time I was totally shocked and I refused, when he saw how firm I was he wore back his clothes and started apologising. Early in the morning I took by bag to leave, he gave me a lot of money and told me to always call him whenever I needed money and beged me never to tell anyone of the attempt he made. Now I’m a mother of two beautiful daughters I can never trust my children with my brothers let alone an extended family member or some outsiders. May God continue to give every parent the wisdom to make the right decisions as it relates to their children especially the female ones because they are the most vulnerable. In most cases the intentions are right but the decisions are wrong!

18. Toluwalope

August 26, 2016 at 1:42 am

The thunder that will fire some pastors is still doing press up.
    Naija mothers can always get things wrong most especially when it comes to their daughter.

19. mama mia

August 26, 2016 at 8:45 am

I believe the poor girl. It is quite sad. The things that all these pastors of these deliverance ministries do… I was very protected when growing up. My mother vigilantly guarded against all forms of sexual harassment. But by the time I got older my mom had become born again and thus the introduction of all these pastors into her life. One of such told her I needed deliverance and to fully deliver me he needed to rub annointing oil all over my private Part. Thank God I was grown enough. I simply walked away and never went back for the deliverance…. this shit happens and always in the name of deliverance….

20. mama mia

August 26, 2016 at 8:53 am

I was shocked at my mom. When she was so hostile with me for not going back(though I never told her what happened) this is a mom who had always been so protective of me growing up. With christianity she had absolute trust… the blinders were fully on…

21. moi

August 26, 2016 at 9:28 am

The extent Christians worship their pastors instead of God ehhn no be here oo. Whatever the pastor says is believed to be final and if you have a contrary opinion especially cases that are logical in discerning you’re either tagged a possessed person or an unbeliever. May God help us all.

22. FinchleysFinest

August 26, 2016 at 9:57 am

But I couldn’t leave because the “retreat” was not over.

This line here got me weak.. That was her best excuse for her life… Not blaming but the line didnt make any sense to me… I’ll check out immediately after the winking episode…I wont wait… why wink at me? eye dey pain you NI? Biko…

23. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

August 26, 2016 at 10:47 am

Sorry, I really don’t believe this story