Relationships

Girl Power! Here’s what Adesua Etomi, Sika Osei, Mo’Cheddah & Beverly Naya have to say about Negative Stereotypes, Feminism & More

You’ve seen their fab cover (click here) and now it’s time to get the juicy details of their cover feature for Genevieve Magazine’s July 2016 issue.

The four young ladies – Adesua Etomi, Sika Osei, Mo’Cheddah and Beverly Naya – talk to Genevieve magazine about their careers, the negative stereotypes they have faced, their thoughts on feminism and so much more.

Adesua Etomi Beverly Naya Mo'Cheddah Sika Osei

See excerpts below.

ON THEIR CAREER-CHANGING MOMENT:

Mo: It was a single for me; Won Beri. I had been working on my album and I just did a feature on a song. I was in secondary school at the time. Months later people would point at me and say ‘That’s the Won Beri girl’.

Adesua: Maybe, winning the AMVCA…

Beverly: In a strange way, Tinsel helped a lot. Prior to Tinsel there were films that took decades to get released. Not to give them a big head, but it was Tinsel.

Sika: I think it was moving to Nigeria to do 53 extra.

ON NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES THEY’VE FACED:

Beverly: That ‘actresses are hoes looking for money all the time’. Or that because you have foreign accent, you are a snob.

Mo: If you are successful you must be sleeping with someone. My biggest issue is not being taken seriously; getting paid for an appearance and being pushed to perform. Honey Boo Boo, this is my livelihood! A performance is different from an appearance!

Adesua: Or because you are ‘yellow’ you are snobbish. And once you are dark they say… We can’t lighten you. You are too black.

Sika: I have had many people tell me to brighten up a little.

Beverly Naya

Beverly Naya

ON WOMEN NOT SUPPORTING EACH OTHER:

Adesua: Yes! In all honesty, and it is really sad. I never believed it till I moved to Nigeria. When I moved back, I realised that women attack women like crazy. I don’t know what it is? They would go as far as attacking your child. There are very few women who will stand up and clap at the success of another woman. I have become so conscious of things I never even thought about when I was outside Nigeria.

Beverly: Same! I never believed it till I moved to Nigeria.

Mo: It is an African thing. Female artists are bigger than male artists everywhere in the world, because the female fans are more than the male fans, and the female fans love the female artists. But in Nigeria, you find the female fans loving the boys and hating on the girls.

Sika: I didn’t even know I was black until I moved to Nigeria. (Roaring Laughter) Yes and I have lived in five different countries.

ON THE TWO THINGS NEVER TO TELL A GUY

Sika: How much I make and how many men I have slept with. The only thing I would tell a guy is if I have had something to do with his best-friend or sibling because it will come back to bite me. Apart from that, we are moving on swiftly.

Adesua: I don’t think there is anything I would not tell especially if you ask. I am an open book.

Beverly: I don’t even think how many men I’ve slept with is a necessary question to ask. It’s so irrelevant, why do you care?

Mo: Why would I tell a guy how much I am making? You are making yours and I am making mine. And why would you tell a man how many men you have slept with?

Adesua: It’s so irrelevant. I know loads of virgins who have anal sex and if you ask them how many men they have been with they will gladly tell you nobody.

Mo'Cheddah

Mo’Cheddah

ON FEMINISM:

Adesua: The fight for women’s right isn’t something we can escape. It is always going to be that way. Society for a long time has been so male-dominated; it has gotten to the point where women would like a fair chance. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. It is such a big deal now because most women are standing up for themselves.  Women want more options than being a wife and a mother.

Beverly: You can achieve anything you want to achieve and not focus on what the men are doing, just achieve your goals.

Sika: Not to be anti-feminist, but I actually hate the word, Feminism. I don’t understand what feminism is, to start with. And we, women, are hypocritical; when it favours us, we are all for female rights, but when it doesn’t, we are quiet. I still want a man to open the door for me. I still want him to be the man of the house. As many of the women I look up to will say, you actually need a good man as your backbone to succeed in life. Can I put a little dent in this conversation? Most women will say make sure the man loves you more. If we all believe in that, that’s not bringing ‘equality’ into the relationship.

Mo: Men need women as much as women need men. Some women just hide behind feminism when a man treats them badly.

ON SPLITTING THE BILLS IN A MARRIAGE:

Mo: The couple should decide, beforehand, who does what.

Beverly: I am traditional and I think a man should pay the bills but there are times that financial situations can change and I may have to pay the bills. You are paying the bills and I am taking care of the family, making sure that when you come home there is something for you to eat. It is not a struggle, it’s a partnership. That is how a marriage should be established. I cannot marry a guy that is going to make me the bread winner.

Adesua: I think a man should always be a provider; that is what he is created to be. The woman is the helpmeet, and one cannot do without the other. The fact that women are more liberal doesn’t change the fact that a man is meant to be a provider. But when you get into a relationship, figure out what works for your relationship. It might be a bit naïve to go into a relationship expecting everything to be the way it is in your head. It doesn’t work like that. You are getting with someone else and he has a completely different thought process. For me, we could have a joint account which we both fund for certain bills, while maintaining our individual accounts. It’s a partnership, but it doesn’t negate the fact that the man should be the provider and a woman, the home maker. Even if he is bringing two naira home, you best make that two naira work. But I don’t know how I would feel if I am married and my husband is doing everything. I am a woman that likes to work and I want to feel I am bringing something to the table. I cannot sit down and not contribute. I don’t function that way.

Sika: I think the most dangerous thing to do is to take a man’s purpose from him. Relationships where men are emasculated are the most toxic relationships. I come from a family where my mum was the breadwinner; my dad had to leave his job to support her because she fainted on a plane; she was travelling alot. And here is why I respect my mum so much, she realized that she couldn’t make my dad feel less of a man because quitting his job to be with her was more manly than anything she had ever seen. That was such a bold step on my Dad’s part. So when my mum makes the money, she sends it all to him to decide what they do with it. My parents have been married for 40 years and they argue about petty stuff but I never for once saw my mum disrespect my dad because he wasn’t bringing in money. I am not opposed to bringing in money as a wife but you can never ever take away the fact that the man is supposed to be the provider.

Adesua Etomi

Adesua Etomi

ON LEAVING IF YOU MAN CHEATS ON YOU

Beverly: If it was just once, then no. If it is a constant thing, I’m out. If it is a mistake and you can genuinely see the remorse and he feels dirty and filthy then I wouldn’t leave you but if you feel like you’re entitled to cheat because you are a man, then I’m out.

Adesua: No. When you’re a lot younger, you say you will get a divorce. But you as you mature, you realize that men are just wired that way. That doesn’t mean its ok or its license for them to cheat, but it is not enough for me to leave.

Sika: No. But if you cheated as a woman, trust me your husband will not be there. I think 70% of men would leave. It is the height of disrespect to a lot of men but if they cheated they would expect you to understand.

Mo: No. …in hard times and in good times, in sickness and in health. (In response to Sika) It depends on who you are with. I feel like if I cheated on my boyfriend he would not leave me.

Sika Osei

Sika Osei

For their full interview head over to Genevieve Magazine.

1. Yes adesuwa

August 17, 2016 at 2:03 pm

U are snobbish

• AceOfSpades

August 17, 2016 at 4:30 pm

No one is entirely snobbish! I tell you. Sika is intelligent and just because you don’t agree with her doesn’t mean she isn’t. She just changed a whole lot about the way I look at women.

Mo is alright too. Adesua is someone I’ll see and just smile at. I won’t bother saying hello cus you sounds like she’s just being politically correct with somethings.
      As for Beverly…I know you and you know me o! This interview is just not you at all. I am T………M G, A………..A. Oya try and figure. We both know it isn’t you that is being represented in those answers.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 17, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Nwa nne m, if what you say is true about the person you claim to know, then you’ve just confirmed what I started suspecting halfway through reading…

…. I mean, I don’t know a single one out of them but these responses seem… Very “attuned” to the general Nigerian readership. Almost sanitised. I mean, I was mentally clutching my head in despair at some of the answers …. but in retrospect, perraps this wasn’t the time and place for certain of then to speak their real, church mind on certain subjects….

Alright oh. You all look pretty. Toh, what else can the brethren say to these things? Una piksho fine.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 17, 2016 at 9:39 pm

*certain of them*

• Californiabawlar

August 17, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Ace and MzSA… I’m with y’all! I’ve seen Bev’s interview on The Spot! She seemed okay to me. This whole thing read more like crowd mentality (and not pandering to the naija audience) to me sha…cos I bet they were interviewed as a group. It’s like someone in the room gave a silly answer and then everyone else in the room looked at each other and thought “hmmmn! I guess that’s the angle we’re going with today ??? okay, let’s roll! I can’t let them think I’m trying to be different or special!”
      And that, my friends, is my hypothesis on how this sh*tshow of an interview was birthed. Lol.

• Engoz

August 18, 2016 at 6:59 pm

There is no girl power here. Some definitions…

Girl power is the idea that women and girls should be confident, make decisions, and achieve things independently of men, or the social and political movement that is based on this idea.

The phrase “girl power” is used as a term of female empowerment, independence, and self-sureness. Girl power expressed a cultural phenomenon of the 1990s and early 2000s. It is also linked to third-wave feminism.

These ladies do not subscribe to the feminist movement. I believe it is very inappropriate to ascribe the phrase ‘girl power’ to them.

• Pamela

August 17, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Abeg I don’t agree o! I met Adesua some few weeks back. I have never met a nicer person, sweet person. She is just adoring and patient with her fans. I love her biko!

2. xplorenollywood.com

August 17, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Wow! It’s like u didn’t read anything else! Lol… not every1 is in the mood at all times, so maybe u met her at a bad time. Meanwhile what’s up with her hair though. She looks like a “madame”! ?

3. De Duchess

August 17, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I will be right back. I need to get that pop-corn. Bella Naijarians…will have a swell day in the comment section, my day is about to be made! Yas!
    If I come back and you all disappoint me with few comments, it won’t be nice.

Please let the comments start, a lot to talk about, split the bill, feminism, snobs….okay, lemme go and bring the pop-corn.

4. JustSaying

August 17, 2016 at 2:28 pm

i hope none of these women are any lil girls role model (ROAD MODEl as Jenifa and Falz will say)

there are way better role models out there not necessarily in the entertainment industry

Just enjoy them as they entertain – but let it stop there.

The words that come out of their mouth, i dont see them as too smart.

Nice photoshoot – what else is new

• Damilola

August 17, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Sika is beautiful and intelligent. Mo cheddah is a true fashionista. Anybody can be a role model, it’s based on what individual define as a role model. So, no need to insult these ladies just because they don’t fit into your opinion. Much of what each said is not far from the mindset of people in general, yours included. Everybody is forming on the internet, your perception and lifestyle is not any different.

• Fodu_Seun

December 13, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Haba! It’s a free world, so let them express themselves. Besides, Sika’s story about her dad & mum has about 95% truth in it… “Talking from experience”. And Adesuwa to me, hmm… is more of a “Gift” to any man because just looking at her alone, you can tell her mum really perfected her work to ensure she’s descipline, smart & calm… eventhough, i know and like alot of nice gals like her who are verrryy adventurous like the “virginity but anal sex sisters”. Lol.. Alot of the arabian sisters does! So, considering she’s coming from UK, trust she has a whole lot of testimony in that aspect. As for MO! She was a little coded, guess she’s not the “Follow the Rule” or “Do it as it’s done” kindof lady. Berv! My dearie berv… she is just naughty & blunt as usual. Remember her opinion about checking a guy out before she can marry him. I bet u, she will go any day for that my chatting & crazo paddy of life. Cuz i luv adventurous ladies like her sa… Lol

Well done Genevieve for the piece… Let’s see Toyin Abraham, Linda Ikeji, Somkele Idahlema, Belinda Effah, Meraiah Ekeinde, DJ Cupid, Wunmi Owolagba “Ariyike Dimples” and Linda Ejiofor to mention a few in a NO HOLDS BAR discussion.

5. Muse

August 17, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Adesuwas opinion(s) sounds too dumb, but she’s entitled to it.

For More saying there are more female artistes/artists, that’s not true. This should be a nice and interesting interview.

• Red

August 17, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I agree, very dumb. I’m shocked.

6. Muse

August 17, 2016 at 2:36 pm

*Mo

7. sista

August 17, 2016 at 2:48 pm

…sika seems like someone with her head properly screwed on. I love her answers. they look good

8. anonymous

August 17, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Was Adesuwa’s (obviously exaggerated) comment about virgins necessary? I dont understand why some ladies feel the need to attack virgins whenever they are talking about their sexual history. You are free to have sex and they are free to choose not to, so abeg free them and live with your choices!

• Iris

August 17, 2016 at 8:09 pm

She wasn’t attacking virgins, my friend. She was saying your number should not be a question; just because you haven’t technically ‘been penetrated vaginally’ doesn’t mean you are ‘pure’ and she used anal sex as the example.
      How can you come and form virgin when you’ve taken it up the behind? In such a case it is clear you’re only forming virgin for appearances and not because of morals or emotional preferences

• Anonymous

August 17, 2016 at 9:44 pm

If they do, it’s their choice. If you want to talk about your number, talk about it and if you’re not comfortable talking about it, then don’t, it is your choice. Don’t come and say “I’ve had only five,but even Virginia who is claiming virgin has taken it from the back”.It’s totally unnecessary and not your business.It’s also another example of women putting other women down. There are loads of ladies keeping it pure.

• Jade Edo babe

August 17, 2016 at 10:15 pm

[email protected] so highly critical and annoying.
      She’s not fucking attacking virgins. Naijas lack comprehension skills, I swear. They just attack people based on disliking the person even if the person has a point. You must be a virgin who likes anal sex and your conscience is killing you.
      She made a statement which is actually true. A woman who is sexually active is easily judged but once you say virgin you get praise and admiration. But anal sex is the same as vaginal sex. She’s trying to say, you most likely won’t get the accurate answer from most women on the number of men they’ve slept with.

• Anonymous

August 18, 2016 at 10:23 am

Lol! Well I’m not. But you, my dear, are an uncouth,foul mouthed idiot with virgin envy. Miss “Naija lacks comprehension skills”. How very perceptive of you.

• Ose

December 15, 2017 at 12:21 pm

She is not insulting virgins. Her opinion is if you have had sexual relations then you are not a virgin. Meaning girls who have had anal but not vaginal sex cannot call themselves virgins. However if they have done none, then she is not talking to them. You get?

9. ehn

August 17, 2016 at 2:56 pm

1. You all are not the first to stay out of Nigeria. We dont need the “when i moved back” as if you have stayed there all your life-oshisco

2. Why would I tell a guy how much I am making?
    As long as you are not willing to know his, not marrying him for what he has therein, fine.

3. Ladies want feminism, but when it comes to providing, you are TRADITIONAL, It is the man’s purpose…. i hear you

• S!

August 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Lol! On No. 3 I tell you. When I read their view on feminism & read the finance part, I went back to read the feminism part again to make sure it was the same people talking.
      Everyone is a feminist till it comes to finance.

• Thatgidigirl

August 17, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Honestly i didn’t get the part about not sharing what u earn. Maybe it’s not a lot and you’re too embarrassed to say…..if you were on Forbes the whole world would know you’re, worth wouldn’t they? A lot of women ask for what they cannot give; I want an honest man, caring bla bla bla, well guess what? A relationship is a two way street. If you can’t tell your husband (or partner) what you earn or be willing to handle some level of financial responsibility,then don’t expect it from him. Who is a fool in the relationship? I really can’t stand women like this.

10. Person

August 17, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I hope people aren’t listening to these silly nobodies enjoying the privilege of feminism in one breath and criticising it in another. Your mugs on the cover of a magazine? That’s feminism. Going to school and charting the course of your own life? Thank feminism. Deciding together with a man your different roles at the start of a relationship? Thank all the women who have gone before you and struggled / fought so your sorry asses could spill paks and have it published. ???

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 17, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I think that’s what irritated me the most about the young lady who said she’s lived in 5 countries and yet, doesn’t know what feminism is. I mean, you’re obviously reaping the rewards of the price paid by more concerned women … The ones who strove so that your sex could reach higher.

Therefore, you can afford to dismissive & unperturbed in your little comfy corner of the entertainment industry, not so? Very amusing… Carry on as you were, luv and anyway, like I said above, I hope it’s more a case of the interview being sanitised for its Nigerian readership…

• Damilola

August 17, 2016 at 10:29 pm

You are an educated fool. I’m laughing at all these internet feminists thugs who perhaps in their personal life have no backbone and bunch of confused weaklings. They’ve been cheated on, abused, taking care of a man but want to act all tough on the internet. You expected these women to be anti men and bash men. I keep saying it, this is the same reason the feminism fight hasn’t gone far because women like you turn this whole movement into irrational angry emotional ideology. Their answers on feminism was actually decent. You want to eliminate all men roles, why don’t you die alone then. Don’t get married or expect a man to pay anything.
      There’s a difference between women’s rights movement and feminism(it started off ok but no it’s bunch of rubbish.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 17, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Feminism has never been about “bashing men”. Or phasing them out. Or taking their roles (as caregivers, etc). Or whatever else (not cooking for them, etc.). More feminists than you can imagine are in happy committed relationships – with men.

This movement didn’t start today and it wasn’t birthed on BellaNaija. It’s historical to many different societies for reasons to do mainly with empowering women. All the young lady who was interviewed needed to say was that she’s not keen on what women today make it into … But to outrightly dismiss it? Haba.

I think that as women, we’re starting to become conditioned to shy away from any affiliations with feminism. Especially with this wide-spread impression that feminists are all angry, single, bitter women. You read that view all the time here on this forum… And maybe there are some of those in the movement but not enough to throw the whole movement away as not being worthwhile. It’ll be like a black person born today saying that because the #BlacklivesMatter movement is becoming divisive, that negates the importance of where the hard-fought civil rights battle from the 60s has taken us. We need to be more connected with our history as human beings.

I greatly respect the work of the women of the past, who’ve bucked against rigid patriarchy to widen our paths. For some us, it’s important that such sacrifices shouldn’t be diminished.

• Damilola

August 18, 2016 at 2:28 am

@Mz socially awkward
      Well, the MODERN feminism has turned into a movement of bashing men which is full of contradiction as well. The same women who are shouting independent, still expect men to meet their standard, societal expected roles. It doesn’t make any sense. Look at these ladies in the comment section angry over an interview that wasn’t even bad. So, where does feminism come into play by calling a group of women bunch of nobodies. It’s ok to insult, degrade other women in the name of feminism. Y’all need to reevaluate yourselves and stop barking like bunch of chihuahuas. It’s embarrassing to see the direction feminism is turning into. So bcos the ladies said they won’t leave a man who cheats on them, their feminists card is revoked. I personally won’t tolerate cheating even if it’s one time but it has nothing to do with feminism. It’s about what people can tolerate.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 18, 2016 at 10:02 am

Okay, luv. I don’t know who’s comment you’re upset with but nothing in any of the two comments you parked underneath was concerned with this your flagged point of men cheating or women talking about their independence but wanting men to provide (I’m not even going anywhere near that one).

You seriously need to calm down. Talking about people barking like Chihuahuas when your own self doesn’t even seem to grasp the point they were making in the first place? Honey, you really need to calm things all the way down. Go back. Re-read the comment you blindly attacked in your rage (and the cheek of you, being so rude and having the gall to call anyone else a thug… that’s rich). Re-evaluate the point being made about not dismissing a movement which brought these young ladies to where they can even hold their own today. Think through how far-away you’ve gotten from that.

And again, modern feminism may have acquired some femi-nazis along its course, which is very unfortunate, but that dent in the movement still doesn’t override its overall goal of positively affecting the lives of millions of women around the world. We still have much more to do.

• "changing moniker"

August 18, 2016 at 10:28 am

calm down jor….which one is educated fool again??? did you really need the insults to make your point??

• Person

August 18, 2016 at 11:54 am

LMAO. I have no words for you, boo. I don’t have to do nada to educate your sorry ignorant ass. You’ll be alright 🙂

• Damilola

August 18, 2016 at 6:07 pm

What point is there to grasp? Majority of the comment is pretty much insulting these women. I guess that’s part of feminism I need to catch up on. My bad. So, it’s ok to degrade, insult the women in the magazine while preaching feminism at the same time. They have different opinions, and I respect their honesty as opposed to faking it. The commenters can state their own opinion on feminism without dissing them. And who knows these women are probably more feminist than you know. An interview doesn’t give someone’s whole life thought process. I’m not dismissing the movement and of course it’s been around before bellanaijarians took over. I don’t support the direction many “feminists” take it to.
      I respect REAL feminists who are actually fighting for important causes not turn it into a movement, opportunity to bash men because most of these women are just bitter. Nobody can take some of these wannabe feminists seriously who are confused walking contradiction.

11. De Duchess

August 17, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Sika Osei is brilliant.

I support equality and true feminists, not those that run under the umbrella when they are not favoured (and a lot of those types are in Nigeria- SO MANY).
    I love Sika’s opinion on almost everything.

Adesua I have not really formed an opinion of her. Beverly Naya, I used to think that she is the tough girl and if she gets cheated on, she will break heavens, apparently, she is not like that. See the way she said she is not going to leave the man.
    Mocheddah sounds like she wants to say if her boyfriend cheats she will not leave him. Very interesting opinions up there. I don’t agree with everything that has been said but I had a nice time reading this.

12. mama nina

August 17, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Beverly that has categorically said she will NEVER marry a man unless she test drive.
    Yes she is a realist no doubt – true to who she is .
    As if test drive guarantees happy ever after – BEVERLY WHO IS SMARTER THAN GOD.
    Its amazing with so many of these nollywood celebs how most of them are air heads. Just a handful have an intellect i admire – most of them are just good for dressing and posing on red carpet and entertaining us – Thats it

Definitely these are no role model for my daughter.

Speaking of intellect in the entertainment industry one of the smartest most intelligent women in Hollywood whose interview i will never forget is Ashley Judd. To me she is “the” smartest most intelligent hollywood person ever – you need to watch her interviews. The not so smart of them include beyonce, gywneth paltrow, jennifer aniston, kate hudson etc etc – Air heads –

One of the smartest Nollywood actors i know is Majid Michel and Blossom Chukwujekwu. You can always tell how smart a person is by the answers they give in interviews – very smart. Dont let the entertainment fool you,

i just rolled my eyes just listening to the above 4 speak. Sika like someone mentioned is a tad better.

13. chichi

August 17, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Hmmm! My thoughts. I don’t know these girls at all but I got a sense like sone answers were quite calculated and trying to please the Nigerian/Africans. I do somewhat agree with the first part about cheating with maturity you realise its all so complicated and not that straightforward. But some answers with regards to feminism seemed un-genuine. Maybe its just me, like if this were a more westernised audience, they may say differently. And Sika, respect to your family but that is some real old time foundations right there with your mum giving your dad money she has made. The feminist in me just see’s that as crazy but 40 years married is no joke. Anyway in todays day and age I think there are plenty of ways to empower your partner without handing over your salary to show you trust them, and I’m thinking of both men and woman. Ps feminism is not so hard to grasp, its just that we as woman, me included find times when being feminist doesn’t work for us, but that doesn’t mean you dont strive to be better. I love my man by the way ?

14. Pearl

August 17, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I’m so disappointed in Adesua, It hurts me to even type this. I think it’s condescending to expect a man not to be faithful to him and yourself, yet allow him make those vows to you to be faithful. We have a world because regardless of how we are wired, we as human have learned to adjust to rules and regulation. If you think a man is going to cheat, why don’t you just accept it and let them be with other women, instead of pretending that you expect them not to cheat. I’m not saying you can’t forgive people and take them back, but i’ll be damned if I say out of my mouth that my expectations is that you’ll cheat one day. There’s no reason to be with you then. So many things wrong with this article I can’t begin to address.

• Nv

August 18, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I was actualy puzzled with some of their answers regarding cheating. I have a genuine question to the men here: does it ever offend you when you hear people say it is geneticaly wired in men to cheat? That they practicaly expect unfaithfulness from? Don’t you feel its degrading and kind of insulting,the low standard? Will genuinely love to get some responses from the men. Thanks!

• ElessarisElendil

August 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Personally don’t care. Its all a big joke anyways.

15. Kay

August 17, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Lol I’m actually confused with their responses. Is that it?

16. Cindy

August 17, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Sometimes it’s just good to admire people from afar because when some people open their mouths to speak ehn………. I’m disappointed mehn. I expected more from Adesua and Beverly. Anyway, they’re entitled to their opinion. As for Mo, don’t worry cheat on your boo then come back and tell us the story. Sika is just confused. Men should provide, mummy was the bread winner. Biko pick a struggle. It’s like women bashing feminists is the new in thing. Funny thing is, they tend to contradict themselves a lot. Just know that it doesn’t make you cool o. Well, I guess you feel it makes you a better wife material lol.

• Damilola

August 17, 2016 at 11:33 pm

@cindy you are the confused one, you should be disappointed in yourself. Take a deep breath, it’s not that hard to understand if you apply your logic.
      Sika made a reference to her own life growing up where her mother was the bread winner but still allowed her dad to be the man basically didn’t emasculate him. Many of our parents were in this position, but the women never expressed it out. There’s nothing wrong with it, if there’s mutual respect. There are many men who are solely the bread winner and do the same to their wives. Women are naturally more entrepreneurial and will do anything to provide for their family. In this case, sika admires her mother but she will prefer for her own husband to be the bread winner. And yes, it’s good to have a backbone which can come in different ways. Men need a backbone too. Mo Abudu probably has a man, not just married just like Oprah. Having a man doesn’t take away from your intelligence, confidence and hard work.

• Cindy

August 18, 2016 at 2:20 pm

What did I say, what is this one saying? Please shift from under my comment.

17. Olori

August 17, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I am not surprised with Adesuwa. She looks intelligent but she is so not. Men are just wired that way abi. When he beats the living daylight outta your ass I hope to God he’s not wired that way then. Again, about women “hating” other women. Please, it’s not a Nigerian thing. Folks in the US and UK complain about it too so stop the blame game abeg. Sika if that was a joke about not knowing u were black till blah blah it fell damn flat like! Honestly, on a personal note, none of them impress me. Mo seems humble tho. Or is there something about these IJGBs? And I wish people would know that there is more to “Girl Power” in Nigeria than all these entertainers. I know they may not sell your magazine but there are women in health, finance, philiantrophy, development, education, business etc I could go on and on and on!!! Jeez.

• Tosin

August 17, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Now I see why the comments are so angry…touched a raw nerve with women oops. She said nothing about beating so folks are mixing up non-violence and monogamy. I’m for non-violence but not really interested in monogamy. Women don’t all have to agree or be the same abeg, even twins are different.
      Also I found Sika’s black in Nigeria comment particularly enlightening.

Lol some things that make sistas see red! Don’t talk about weaves, long weaves, and don’t talk about bleaching or say monogamy is optional. Getting.

18. i love my husband

August 17, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Adesua looks intelligent, but apparently, shes NOT. don’t judge a book by its cover, her responses were dumb. shikena…. and these ones cannot be role models, lets interview other women abeg..these ones are just red carpet material…maybe Sika is a tad beter

19. Corolla

August 17, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Sigh! Tolu Adesua Etomi, beht why? I agree with a comment up there, that the responses were calculated in a bid to not upset majority of the public with the typical Nigerian mentality. Anyway, their lives, their rules.

20. Eric

August 17, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Genevieve Magazine, i’ve been following you guys for a while and you only shine your light on people who have been hyped. How about you also acknowledge the underdogs and give them a platform to speak and see what they are all about. Give someone the spotlight who isn’t actually in the spotlight. They can also been entertainers or media people as well. Stop rolling with the cool kids and forming this clique of yours.. See these ones you’ve featured now who have been on most red carpets but nothing worth emulating. Anyway i don’t bother buying your magazine anymore, na uno sabi!!!!

• Missy

August 17, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Eric i agree 100%
      i always like the underdogs (if they have talent that is) give them a minute to shine too
      The way nollywood likes to recycle is disgusting
      If it is Adesua or OC Okeje – they willl recycle same faces till 2020

I am tired of seeing their overrated selfs
      Nigeria has millions of talents granted its not showcase in most of our movies full of razz mediocres but the real talents are out there they just need to be sort for.

And advice to newbies – when you come new on the scene and you think posing for semi nude photoshoots is what will make us recognise you – you are sadly mistakened. When you are new on the scene at least prove to us your real talent before you start opening your legs for camera shoots all in the name of its my birthday. Take actress Ivie foreinstance, she has not been in the scene for long but already she has garnered real respect for her real talent and even compared to great veterans like Genevieve. You dont see her opening her legs and showing her boobs for photoshoot every month. So it makes us the audience focus on her talent.

All you with lost priorities and in the industry for nothing but fame and a few dollars to buy brazlian weave, we know who you are. When Genny and Omotola started we just focused on their acting – not back to back photoshoot, posing, instagram stories turning their heads like agama lizards, most of the newbies days are so full of shit – i agree they are not too intelligent.

21. Mimi0560

August 17, 2016 at 5:19 pm

mum has always been the breadwinner and that made my daddy so useless because he cared less and always tell us to meet my mum for fees and even money for food!! This made my siblings and i resent him… A man should be the breadwinner and not the other way round…

22. shield

August 17, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I am disappointed in Adesuwa’s comments. Men are NOT wired that way. Promiscuity is not innate! It’s a conscious choice. That kind of mindset makes people settle for less. SMH!

23. Nahum

August 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm

This is why I never allow anyone to speak for me. Of all the women in the world to speak for feminists, they chose these three empty baskets here. I think there is a deliberate attempt to destroy the feminist platform by allowing dummies to speak on behalf of women. Men are wired to cheat??? Men should pay all the bills?? “I am not a feminist” but you are a proud benefactor of the feminist movement. You father should have married you off by 13 years old so we can be spared this nonsense. Please next time you want to interview women and seek their opinions on the feminist movement, please look for educated and enlightened women and not these dingbats over here.

• Person

August 18, 2016 at 11:59 am

Exactly. How can someone live in 5 countries and not learn anything? confused.com

• Monica Lewinsky

August 18, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Lmao!!! Such pointed vitriol.

24. sika

August 17, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Kai! Dumb Dumb Dumb! adesua,..like…im so shocked!!! tbh i didnt expect anything from Mo or the others but i didnt expect this level of dumbness either. Adesua you have become the next genevieve..pretty face no brain. smh! Sika you contradicted yourself – please go and learn what feminism is. Its the reason you are where you are today. without it you all will be uneducatedm, married off at 11 and be a housewife in the village.

• The Real Oma

August 17, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Genevieve is dumb? Genevieve Nnaji? You don’t know what you are saying!

• Nene

August 17, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Genevieve is actually smart. She can be everything ppl say but she is not dumb. These ladies area disappointment with most of their answers. Smh

25. Californiabawlar

August 17, 2016 at 6:00 pm

The questions went downhill real fast after the first one. Goes again to show that we as a people are still oh so simple.
    And as for the babes, even if dem ask you stupid question must you give stupid answer? Festandformost, I like that Mo kept her answers very short….smart girl! The other babes, especially Sika and Adesuwa were busy waxing foolishly philosophical and prouding of it. Smh! Sika even said a woman needs a man to be her BACKBONE to be successful! Chimo! ??? you don’t even have to look far, just go and recite that to Aunty Mo…you know…the husbandless lady you’ve worked for.
    Abeg! I can’t even take these broads seriously…they have just immortalized their folly i.e. Lack of good sense by having this both in print and on the internet.

Meanwhile on a very very serious note. Lemme dance small first…?????? Now that we all know that Adesua is just another run off the mill naija babe, we the brides of BankyW are happy to send her off her merry yellow way! Taadaa! ✌?️✌?
    1 down, 145,678 to go!?

• Baby gurl

August 17, 2016 at 8:25 pm

LMAO I like you! Hahaha

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 17, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Damn, I forgot about Mo! As in, talk about foot-in-mouth disease….

You went in harddddd, sis… but point made.

P.S: All the best with Banky. ?

• Fashionista

August 17, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Yes oh! I am a Mrs Wellington in the making, lemme go and dust my dress ?. Poor Adesuwa, I’m now feeling bad for her.

• Monica Lewinsky

August 18, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Lmao!!! dead

26. Uche

August 17, 2016 at 6:13 pm

This is what we call BB as in “basic b______es”” just like the kind you see on RHWOA . take off all the makeup, weave, dressing etc Zero left to admire

• Tosin

August 17, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Hmmm
      Hmmm
      But your way of writing/thinking reminds me of those people in Basketball Wives. I’m guessing the rhwoa are just as razz.
      Stop watching them please.

27. Shadow

August 17, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Adesua’s comment did it for me. You all want her to pretend and act lovey dovey. Ive actually met her like three times and she is a sweet person. Mo is cool and sika is quite intelligence. Beverly is a realist

• Hahah

August 17, 2016 at 6:36 pm

i bet they are your role model too huh
      Miss IntelligENCE

28. Jalord

August 17, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with these Ladies being blunt or honest! Certain people are expecting what we were all expecting lol

Regarding the infidelity, It’s not really that easy when it comes to breaking up with someone you claim to love.

Most of you fail to realise that these women have choices and can decide if or not they want to forgive their partners. So allow them to express their feelings rather than pressuring them to make decisions that does not affect you directly or indirectly.

29. Somos

August 17, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I personally don’t see anything wrong with Beverly’s answers, too real. Sika sounded intelligent, the story about her mom and dad was interesting. Mo sounded annoying, do you even have an opinion? Adesua and the virgin thing. Where did that even come from? I think Adesua comes across as quite fake. Na she know pass, talk true

30. Faxie

August 17, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Beautiful ladies and an even gorgeous photo shoot. Unfortunately ladies as is a lot of people out there, you all missed the exact meaning of feminism. True feminism is embracing our role as women and not letting it define our achievements. Its beyond opening door and the trivial things we argue over daily.

31. Dolly

August 17, 2016 at 7:15 pm

The most disappointing is Beverly Naya, girl is you forreal? Adesuwa oh hell no you did not- men are wired that way? Real definition of dumb broads smdh

32. Yummy

August 17, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Ladies na wa oo, no be by i am ‘fair’ and beautiful oo,your brain has to be sharp and beautiful too,thats true beauty. Sika Osei i so much luv your answer on feminism…..you seem smart

33. Tosin

August 17, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I didn’t want it to end. Lovely diversity, glam pictures. Wow Genevieve!

34. BA

August 17, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Chimamanda wasn’t too far from the truth, when she said some millenials are far less progressive than our mothers’ generation. Now, this is such a disappointing interview and might one add, a sort of feature that so unintelligently dimisses feminism – a movement that has canvassed for the rights of women and helped women all over the world be free to dream, live their dreams and compete on equal platforms as men. Feminism is to women as the fight against racism is to black people or others who are discriminated against by the powerful system of white supremacy that prevails in the world. Feminism is to women as as LGBTQ rights movement are to LGBTQ people. Feminism does not promote the hatred of men any more than anti-racism promotes the hatred of white people or LGBTQ, the hatred of straight people or any more than black lives matter means that lives of people with pale or other skin tones do not matter. Feminism is up against a patriachal system that silences women, that makes them conditioned willingly or unwillingly to put in more work than men in building their families, becoming successful in the work place, practicing their religion, expressing themselves, pursuing their dreams and having the privilege of getting away with excuses like “they are just wired like that”. Embrace feminism women, it has brought us so far but we still have a long way to go – where topics on whose role it is to provide financially for one’s family, and whose role it is to nurture the home will be focused on partnership – with each party being celebrated for what they choose to do in their relationship.

I AM A FEMINIST AND I STAND UP FOR WOMEN’S RIGHTS EVERYWHERE.

• MurderSheWrote

August 17, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Thank you BA I can’t even believe these women honestly. In 2016 like WTF!!? I hope and pray they get a grip of all things related to feminism and equal rights before they bring children, most especially girls to this world. I hope Adesuwa will not say to her 21 yo girl child in the future that her boyfriend is wired to cheat. I’m in shock right now. Mocheddah was the smartest. Beverly tried a bit though she was off a few times. I pray for our future girls that they would know they are EQUALLY WORTHY.

• Nv

August 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Thank you @BA. That was beautiful without any insults or swearing.

• Nv

August 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

If there is anything I’ve learned from this interview is that people are just not black and white,defined by straight and narrow strokes we paint them in. Take Adesuwa for example,I was disappointed with her comments re: cheating it seemed so backwards but when I went back up re-read(IKR?) her comments about feminism,it made big sense. Her comments seem kinda contradictory with each other but then,that tells me a lot about us humans. We may hold certain beliefs,principles and support some causes but not always agree with some areas of it or have some reticence about supporting a movement becuse of someunpleasant side effect or encounters with the bad beans. For some its Feminism,for others its Christianity/Islam,the ProChoice/ProLife arguments,it could be PDP/APC and the list go on. Personaly,I am a christian but have had dilemas with somethings in the bible that am still praying about. Judging from Sika’s views on feminism,its sounds like the hipocracy she’s seen has made her have some reservations.

35. smh

August 17, 2016 at 11:19 pm

thank you o!
    women defending cheating,please,where is it written in the bible that GOD wired men to cheat and disrespect women? will you stop making excuses for foolishness?

36. hezekina pollutina

August 18, 2016 at 12:17 am

lols. wow, what did i miss? whatever hoes…

37. tunmi

August 18, 2016 at 4:09 am

Just checking…. Chimamanda is still alive, right?

These ones are something else. Your opinion is yours but please keep it straight. Don’t contradict yourself abeg

• Baby gurl

August 18, 2016 at 8:09 am

TGFC #ThankGodForChimamanda

• Nv

August 18, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Love the hashtag!

38. la!

August 18, 2016 at 9:10 am

Lolz. Laughing at the comments.

You guys care too much. Let them be, abeg.

39. Daphne_647

August 18, 2016 at 10:27 am

This is exactly what they talked about… women bashing each other.. sure.. their opinions are not your opinions and everyone is entitled to them. I do not agree with some of their comments ( esp. men being wired to cheat) but that does not give Me (or You) the right to seat down in the comfort of your homes and deliberately insult a person like this!
    Our freedom of information and right to speak does not allow you to talk to antone like that. Where are your manners or home training. All of us were taught better than to talk like this to another human being. Do you think by insulting them, they would listen and change their minds? Rather , you present your case in a logical manner. Got it? Thanks

40. Linda Mwami

August 18, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Idiotic quote 1. Sika: I didn’t even know I was black until I moved to Nigeria. (Roaring Laughter) Yes and I have lived in five different countries…. #Sigh

Idiotic quote 2. Adesua: It’s so irrelevant. I know loads of virgins who have anal sex and if you ask them how many men they have been with they will gladly tell you nobody. (Wow Adesua ‘virgins’ who have anal sex?’… you are dumber that dumb, maybe you are trying to convince yourself that you are not a village bike because YOU have anal with lots of your co-stars…)

Idiotic quote 3. Adesua: But you as you mature, you realize that men are just wired that way. That doesn’t mean it’s ok or its license for them to cheat, but it is not enough for me to leave. (I take it you are still maturing Adesua?…)

41. Yummychickcummummy

August 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

All I see is nice pictures ***stroll pass and reading comments ***…….. I expected more than this thou… Each one to get own..

42. TT

August 18, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Nice to see a positive comment amongst all this….bile.

It’s funny. No one seems to have anything to say about the whole “Nigerian women don’t really support other women” comments. I guess the comment section has already proven their point. Funny, but very sad at the same time.

Adesua I think you’re beautiful and I love your hair. “Women want more options than being a wife and mother” – I completely agree.

Sika…you are so goergeous! I’m ashamed to say I never really noticed how beautiful you were before. You have such a cute face.

Mo, I’ve become such a huge fan of yours recently. Your style is so on point. And what I love most about you is that the clothes you wear are realistic if that makes sense. They aren’t over the top expensive.

Beverly – “You can achieve anything you want to achieve and not focus on what the men are doing, just achieve your goals”. Well said! You seem really intelligent!

Also, whoever took the pics for this interview did such an amazing job! The cover was so nice and now these other pics are stunning! The red looks so good on all your skin tones!

Love you girls and I’m super proud of each of you (even though I don’t know you). Love seeing young Nigerian girls focusing on being the best versions of themselves.

43. Nonamespls

August 18, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Women bashing women indeed, this was an interview on their own views. No one said they were representatives of Nigerian women or womanhood. I do not agree with all they have said but that does not necessarily make them unintelligient. Adesua, Sika and others are fantastic actresses and i do think they should be celebrated. Lets be kind, i guess this is the price of being a celebrity everyone has an opinion about you.

44. Ayoka

August 19, 2016 at 10:21 pm

God sitting on the throne. Angels clustered around asking “Sir, what is feminism?”
    God says “I don’t know! I was hoping you could tell me”

45. Tunde Sanusi (Tuham)

August 22, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Okay, let me confess; I actually clicked this post because i was curious about Adesua Etomi was involved. i loved the lady’s answers..
    Interesting!

46. CeeJay

March 20, 2018 at 10:27 pm

I am so disappointed in the way these beautiful and talented ladies responded to this. I can’t even believe I clicked on it in the first place. I normally wouldn’t comment on trashy stuff like this post but I feel It would be almost inhuman.

First of all, there is no excuse or consolation for cheating. It is what it is -wrong!. I’d probably understand if you stayed because of love or commitment and because you feel your partner is remorseful, I totally get it!. But to say you wouldn’t leave because ”men are wired that way” is wrong and completely ignorant. It is in nobody’s nature to break commitment.

As for Sika’s stupid comments on feminism, its too dumb to even require a response. So much for role models!
    someone remind me never to click on stuff like this.

47. Cindy

March 23, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Who feminism help?

Nice pictures by the way.