News

9-year-old Boy Takes His Life Following Constant Bullying in School

Jackson Grubb

Jackson Grubb

A nine-year-old pupil of Sophia-Soak Creek Elementary School in Raleigh, West Virginia has been found dead in his room, and relatives are claiming constant bullying in school had caused him to take his life.

The victim, Jackson Grubb, was found dead by his sister in his room last Saturday  after she went to cheer him up with a frog she had found outside.

Police said the boy was found hanging and no foul play is suspected by authorities in his death.

Relatives of the third-grader said the bullies sometimes waited to torment him by his trailer park.

“I was spending time with him, trying to get it out of him. But Jack’s the type that holds things in and I couldn’t get to him,’ said Jackson’s grandmother and guardian,” Betsy Baber.

Baber said Jackson tried to fend off the bullies with humor and sometimes by force although he had lost the desire to fight them in recent weeks.

His grandmother also helped build him a clubhouse to help him make more friends.

“I don’t know what he was thinking. He wanted to spend the night with me for two days and I couldn’t figure out what was going on,” Jackson’s uncle, Shane Baber said.

His mother Diana Crump said: “We came straight over. I saw the ambulance go that way and I said, ‘Turn around! Turn around! That’s Jackson!’ When I got to the hospital they wouldn’t let me in so I knew when I saw EMS crying that he was gone.”

Jackson’s body was sent to the West Virginia Medical Examiner’s Office for examination.

Credit: DailyMail

1. Tru

September 14, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Poor kid. Bullying should NEVER be a rite of passage. It’s time it’s treated as a criminal offence.

• nikky

September 15, 2016 at 10:56 am

I agree. Not everyone was born with the inner strength it requires to endure bullying. It should become a reason for expulsion!

I am so sad for this poor baby

2. Dee

September 14, 2016 at 8:16 pm

This is so sad. Poor child.

3. H!

September 14, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Children can be just as heartless and brutal as their adult counterparts. Actually they are worse because at least adults are trained to some extent to have restraint and social grace. Anyone denying this has forgotten primary and secondary school days…social stratification, cliques, ostrasizing, gang ups and crap. All crass reflections of our messed up societies. Humanity eh!

4. TeeTee

September 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm

@Tru.,,,completely agree with you!

5. The Real Oma

September 14, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Na wa oh! This is really sad. I can’t get past how a nine year old learnt to hang himself, i am not sure i would even know how to tie a noose if i tried. Where is our world going to???

• Mr. Egghead

September 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm

This is the second case of child suicide from bullying I’ve seen this quarter.
      There was one in NY recently. The little dude even left a note!!
      I honestly don’t know how these thoughts are creeping into their heads. How do they learn this stuff?

• nigerian girl

September 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm

@ the real oma, when I was in primary school in Benin City, about 25 years ago, my classmate hanged himself

6. Nene

September 14, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Schools do not take bullying serious enough. They need to start sending kids to juvenile prison for things like that. As a child I never bullied anyone and wasn’t bullied. bullies are bad, they also grow into the same types of horrible adults who obviously pass it on to their kids. Bullying ruins people.RIP to the little boy

• BlueEyed

September 14, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Children from terrible homes without love tend to project that anger to others, parents be sensitive to your kids, character traits that can stay their whole life is developed at their early stages. Build better individuals in the society and if you ever bullied while you were younger do not think that is the norm, the world is changing, don’t breed a future criminal because you did it and got free with it .
      Topics about the sensitivity of parents towards their kids should be what women should talk more about, instead of male bashing articles.

7. Gorgeous

September 14, 2016 at 8:43 pm

How does a 9yr old even learn how to take his life??? Too much TV or Internet??? I think parents should be more sensitive to their children. I will be that mum that will knock a kid out if after I have warned their parents and the kid refuses to stop or be corrected. I will rather go to jail, and make sure that kid loses his senses than lose my child. A child that bullies other’s obviously has very irresponsible parents at home, who fight and curse at each other.

• Na

September 15, 2016 at 7:36 am

Redundant approach.

If you go to jail, you will “lose” the child anyway. Violence should not beget violence.

8. californiabawlar

September 14, 2016 at 8:46 pm

This is so sad and heartbreaking! Parents are the only solution to bullying. Any parent who knows their kid is a bully and allows it to continue is an accessory to the crime and an animal.
    May his family find comfort and may his soul find peace, cos I can’t imagine the amount of turmoil he must have been in during his final days and hours.

This kian news that will be making somebody cry sef…

9. @tikkachi

September 14, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Wat is de meaning of bullying?dat is rubish, look at dat child very well,may his soul rest in perfect peace!

10. Wow

September 14, 2016 at 10:26 pm

My goodness!!! 9 yrs old?!! How does a nine yr old know to take his own life? There’s something fundamentally wrong with this. Kids of this generation are exposed to too much. Did maybe the parents miss something? This is so heartbreaking!

• AceOfSpades

September 15, 2016 at 8:08 am

If you know what bullying is….you’d know this kids can learn what suicide is with or without the internet. Social media attack is a form of bully too and it has made some people commit suicide too.

I pray no parent has to go through this because most times they don’t even know what the kids face in school!

11. Marlvina

September 15, 2016 at 12:09 am

This is unfortunate. I feel sad for the family. Poor kid. He cldnt talk to anyone. I wish more kids learn to open up and jst confide in someone no matter how hurt.

12. aurora

September 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

nowadays, ive noticed some parents seem to delight in having kids who are bullys. they call it being assertive. their kids kick people around from a young age and they encourage it and cheeer the kids on.
    there is a very definite line between an assertive and confident child and a bully,

13. Someone Naughty

September 16, 2016 at 12:15 am

I think parents should be held culpable too. Pareants would do a better job raising their children if they know that they would be held responsible or bear the criminal charges on their child’s behalf. Currently, they know nothing can be done to their children beyond disciplinary actions in school that’s why such bad behaviour is left to fester on.
    If your child bullies someone, you are going to jail