Music

Happy 70th Birthday KSA! Here’s a Compilation of 7 of King Sunny Ade’s Evergreen Songs and 7 Facts You Might not Know about Him

_8_2016_KING SUNNY ADE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION EVENT BY #evigreene @evigreene photography (108)_bellanaija

It’s Afrojuju living legend King Sunny Ade’s Birthday today and he’s turning 70!

To celebrate, we’ve compiled a short list of things you might not have known about him and some songs for you to enjoy (for the mega fans like us).

Since we can’t go all the way to 70, here are 7 Things to note about KSA:

• KSA was born to a royal family in Ondo, thus making him an Omoba, hence the King in his name.
  • His father was a church organist, while his mother was a trader. He left grammar school in Ondo under the pretense of going to the University of Lagos.
  • King Sunny helped open the door for other Afro-pop artists, among them are juju stars like Ebenezer Obey and Dele Abiodun, Zaire’s Tabu Ley Rochereau and Papa Wemba, Senegal’s Youssou N’Dour, South Africa’s Mahlathini and the Mahotella Queens, and Madagascar’s Rossy and Tarika Sammy.
  • He horrified his parents by pursuing music, which was considered a profession for commoners. He dropped out of school in 1963 to join semi-pro bands in the capital of Lagos, playing juju.
King Sunny Ade

King Sunny Ade

• By 1967 he had formed his own band, the Green Spots (taking off on the name of longtime juju king I.K. Dairo‘s Blue Spots band), and recorded his first single, “Challenge Cup,” which celebrated a local soccer team’s championship and became a hit!
  • Sunny has collaborated with major artists such as Manu Dibango (Wakafrika) and Stevie Wonder (played harmonica in Aura), as well as younger Nigerian artists such as Wasiu Alabi Pasuma and Bola Abimbola.
  • In the 1980s Adé embarked on a career in Hollywood. His music was featured in the 1983 film Breathless, starring Richard Gere, and the 1986 comedy One More Saturday Night, and he acted in Robert Altman‘s 1987 comedy O.C. and Stiggs.

Here’s when he thrilled people in New York:

We compiled 7 of his Amazing works for you to enjoy!

Listen to them here:

Ja Funmi:

Baba Moke pe o:

Aiye Nreti Eleya Mi:

Malanu Makorin Ma Fi Gboluwa Ga:

Oro To ‘Nlo:

His Entire Album for those who want to bask in Sunny Ade & His African Beats 1973 – Vols.9&10:

King Sunny Ade – Classics Volume 3: (The Good Shepherd & The Child):

Credits:
Facts: Rolling Stone and Wikipedia
Photography:  Evi Greene Photography – @evigreene  | Insigna Media

1. Tosin

September 22, 2016 at 6:42 pm

been playing Sunny recently mennnn
    live forever.

2. Gorgeous

September 22, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Nothing like knowing your calling early in life, having talent and being successful. It’s a blessing and rare. Happy Birthday KSA

3. nunulicious

September 22, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Happy birthday KSA! I got him or fela on blast mostly Saturdays or when doing house cleaning.

Fact number 8: It’s been my dream that you will perform at any one of my feferity! since I couldn’t do my wedding, maybe you’ll do my wedding anniversary or a big birthday…in other words, biko, don’t die yet oh!

4. Moyo

September 22, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Hmmn, my Mum’s favourite artist, Happy birthday, KSA

5. LemmeRant

September 22, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Happy birthday Sir.
    Thank you for giving us great (yoruba) music that we can also dance to.

My Popsi probably has all your albums, and thats one inheritance I’m taking by force or by fire.

Many Happy returns

• dantob

September 23, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Same here, I know 90% of his songs thanks to my dad. I have my eyes on the vinyl records too

6. xplorenollywood.com

September 22, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Abundant blessings to you KSA and your music which is a gift! Asides JA fun mi which I enjoy, I totally love “Nigeria ni tigbogbo wan ni! Here’s to more years of rich sound and culture. ????

7. Mo

September 23, 2016 at 6:12 am

Lovely post to honour a true legend.

8. oo

September 23, 2016 at 8:45 am

Evergreen!!!!

Where is Esu biri biri, or Check E, or the Merciful God???

9. Olu

September 23, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Happy Birthday to the King of Juju Music himself. By the way Jadesola (Author), King Sunny Ade is “Juju Music” Legend and not “Afro Juju”.

KSA is also crowned “The King Of World Beats”.

Sir Shina Peter’s (SSP) owns the Afro juju” brand. SSP’s “Afro Juju” which is a cross between Fela’s Afro beat and Juju music. (Sir Shina Peters mentioned in an interview that he liked Fela’s Afrobeat so much, he decided to call his own “Afrojuju”)

I am a MASSIVE fan of king Sunny Ade (i believe no one is as passionate about his music as I do…lol), but just want to set the record straight.

10. Prince

September 23, 2016 at 1:34 pm

The King of Juju!!!

11. tosin

September 24, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I love this man!!!! can’t wait to have you at my wedding!! please stay healthy so you can perform at mine. 70 looking like 50!!