News

HIV Positive Zimbabwean Faces Deportation After Having Unprotected Sex with 12 Australian Women

Godfrey Zaburoni

Godfrey Zaburoni

A Zimbabwean acrobat accused of having unprotected sex with several Aussie women while being infected with HIV has had his Australian permanent residency cancelled and faces deportation.

Peter Dutton, Spokesman for Australian Immigration Minister, said that 38-year-old Godfrey Zaburoni had failed the character test under section 501 of the Migration Act.

He said as a result of this he is currently awaiting deportation to his country.

Dutton said that Zaburoni who arrived in Australia in 1997 was accused of having unprotected sex with at least 12 Australian women, between 2007 to 2008, including his Gold Coast ex-girlfriend of two years, without informing them of his medical condition.

The spokesman said that it was earlier reported that Zaburoni was diagnosed with the disease in 1998 while touring with a circus in Adelaide.

He said that Zaburoni, a former Australia Got Talent participant, was originally sentenced to a nine-and-a-half years jail term in 2013 by the Southport District court after becoming the second person in Queensland to be convicted of intentionally infecting someone with HIV.

Dutton, however, said that in April the High Court overturned Zaburoni’s sentencing after finding no evidence that he had intended to infect his girlfriend deliberately with the virus.

He said that Zaburoni was then re-sentenced on a lesser charge, a five-year suspended sentence and had been released from prison with expectations that he would face deportation soon.

Meanwhile, a source said without specifying that Zaburoni has been detained by immigration officials on Thursday night and would face deportation to Zimbabwe soon.

Photo Credit: The Australia.com

1. vorai

September 16, 2016 at 10:11 pm

women shld always insist on condom..then go for medical test when they want to start having sex without protection….some men and women with HIV re on revenge mission

• Marlvina

September 16, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I’m surprised that people still indulge in unprotected sex in this time and age. Sighs!

2. Mr. Egghead

September 16, 2016 at 10:28 pm

He juggled 12 women in a year.

Damn good acrobat!

3. Chi

September 16, 2016 at 10:48 pm

These are the people my Pharmacology Professor will “Spreaders”.
    There’s only one sure way to avoid being Victims of these ones, according to the Bible; FLEE!
    Avoid premarital or extramarital Sex.

• Author Unknown

September 16, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Unfortunately, avoiding pre-marital sex and extra-marital sex is not enough. Your partner/ spouse would also have had to have abided by the same rule, otherwise they could infect you in your monogamous relationship. God help us, as anyone can become a victim. Protected sex is the surest behaviour, regardless how many partners you have, but how many women insist on having protected sex with their husbands and vice-versa?

• EE

September 17, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Most churches mandate testing before marriage these days…………………So avoid pre marital sex and test before marriage.

• Temi

September 17, 2016 at 12:29 am

Chi you are very much right… PREMARITAL AND EXTRAMARITAL SEX….but, no wo…. nowadays women open their legs left and right… hush hush for men and same to men too…

• Idomagirl

September 18, 2016 at 12:49 am

You can do all the fleeing you want, if your spouse is an unfaithful bastard you can still end up infected…

4. Gorgeous

September 17, 2016 at 12:58 am

I am sure foreigners do this a lot in Nigeria. But Nigerian government is too useless to care, and they are all busy stealing until it affects them personally. Those expatriates should be thoroughly screened. They, I believe are big spreaders of disease.

• Olope

September 17, 2016 at 1:31 am

I see your point that the govt has to have laws in place to hold spreaders to account, or enforce existing laws, but individuals must take responsibilities for their actions/inactions. Is it govt that asked…. say uni boys and girls to go sleep with expats so they can live flashy lives on campus?

• Lala

September 17, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Sorry to disappoint you on the foreigner thing. The average Nigerian man finds it hard to have sex with condoms. In marriages, they would rather their wives use contraceptives despite the clear links between breast cancer and the pill. Once I was speaking to some young girls making my hair. They were discussing their affairs with men as they made my hair. I said to them that I hope they protect themselves with condoms? They laughed at my naivety and said, Aunty, no man go give you money if you no gree skin to skin. I did not quite believe but now, when my husband and I speak to some of our church friends, we realise that even they (the Nija guys) say they cannot sacrifice skin contact so their spouse has to take the pill. I have never done the pill because my husband and I thought it wasn’t worth the health risks and the failure rates that brings unwanted pregnancies.

Online, pharmaceutical companies argue that there’s no proven link between contraceptive pills and breast cancer but a few years ago when I had certain symptoms and was referred to the breast clinic for checks, one of the early questions the specialist doctor asked me was if I used the pill.
      African men, use condoms, use quality good condoms and save yourself the stress!

• Tira

September 18, 2016 at 6:04 am

And this is exactly how other nationalities feel about Nigerians living in their country. Very xenophobic I must say!

5. Marian

September 17, 2016 at 6:10 am

Is it worth it???? Sex is cool and all but it is not worth having HIV or the headache of an unwanted pregancy. Sharrout to my mom, i still remember all our sex ed talks in high school. I hated it and wanted to just block her voice but i’m glad she insisted. It’s 2016!!!! No one should be having unprotected sex with a bf and If you know your husband is cheating you better insist on a condom.

6. Roma

September 17, 2016 at 8:25 am

The hearts of men is truly deceptive and full of evil.
    I do not encourage premarital sex, but if you must do it please, use protection (Condom).
    Condom is cheaper than the HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases that are incurable.

I can’t even imagine how some men and women have unprotected sex with people they don’t know their health status very well.

7. Mondela

September 17, 2016 at 8:55 am

see how cute he is…ladies wont even think twice before jumping into bed with him,HIV really no dey show for face,we should all be careful.

8. Weezy

September 17, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Shifty looking Fedora-wearing dude. Some women have questionable taste.