Relationships

“I had that experience so other young girls would not make the same Mistake” Sunmbo Adeoye opens up on her Relationship with 2Baba

BellaNaija.com

Sunmbo-Adeoye-BellaNaija-001

Sunmbo Adeoye, wife to Pastor David Adeoye and mother to 2 of 2Baba’s children was featured in a recent interview with Punch Newspaper.

In the interview, she talks about getting pregnant for the singer, having his children, how her first marriage broke up and meeting her loving husband.

Here’s an excerpt of the interview:

On how she met 2Baba:
I met him when I was a student of Yaba College of Technology. I had just lost my dad and my mum was living in America. For someone who was a daddy’s girl, I needed love. This was the only person that was showing me love at that time. I feel I had that experience so that other young girls would not make the same mistake.

On getting pregnant for the singer:
I was 24 when I fell pregnant the first time and having to deal with ‘shame’. When I got pregnant the first time, I approached the pastor of the church I was attending then and he brought me out before the church and judged me. I was asked to go and bring the father of my unborn child so we could be joined together. I brought a different person and we got married at the registry.

On how that marriage failed:
Everything fell apart when I had a child who looked nothing like him and my mum came back from America to ask who gave my hand out in marriage because she was not a part of it. I had to walk out of the marriage which I arranged by myself. I moved back home and by age 25 I was already a single mum and a divorcee. There was so much shame and reproach.

On deciding to return to 2Baba:
It got to a point in my life that I felt that the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know, so I went back to my baby daddy and his mum talked me into living with him so he won’t have more women and babies. We lived together for three years and that was how the second pregnancy happened.

On leaving 2Baba:
It was not a bed of roses while I was there because I was trying to put together what was not supposed to be. I think we broke up in 2009 after I had the second baby. There were other women who were also going to have babies for him around that time. I came to my senses like the prodigal son and I was so broken. I think my baby daddy was out of the country that fateful day when I returned from work and I packed all my things plus that of my children, and I went back to my parents’ home.

On meeting her husband:
It is so funny because he had always been my pastor. He is someone I always went to for mentorship, so when he came across as wanting to be my husband, I was a bit scared. Even though I knew I was asking God for a husband, a father, friend and mentor, I did not know it was my pastor that was going to fit in because nobody was praying for his wife to die. When he made his intentions known, I thought maybe if I stayed away from church, he would forget about me. I realised that whenever I stayed away from church, I would lose my peace. I was a committed member of the church as well as the praise team lead. Then, I started praying and fasting. I began to ask God if it was what He wanted for me. I knew my past and I told God I was going to drop my tall, dark and handsome standard for whatever He wanted for me.

On life with her husband:
It is a privilege that comes with a lot of glory and responsibilities. It also comes with a lot of glamour and commitment. It comes with its own challenges and God has equipped us to handle everything. This is not the Sunmbo that got married to Pastor Adeoye three years ago. I am a better person and I am now refined.

On starting her foundation, Esob Heroes:
The fact that somebody helped me to access the Goldman Sach’s scholarship helped my business to grow. I thought that if God availed me this privilege, why don’t I extend a hand of fellowship to other women and support entrepreneurial ideas. I made up my mind to help improve people through mentorship and advisory services. I also started a movement whose focus is to ensure that the future of the girl child is safe and secure. We have supported, learned and unlearned people by empowering them with work tools and cash gifts.

On the transition from being an entrepreneur to the wife of a general overseer:
Everything just fell into place. You can never be prepared for becoming a mother until you are delivered of the child and you begin to care for the child. When I was a mum and a banker was a different phase from when I became a mum and an entrepreneur. That was also a different phase from when I became a wife, mother , entrepreneur and running the NGO on the side. If it is God that has called me to do all of these, He has equipped me before now. But I keep learning and improving. I have mentors who are doing all that I do better and I look up to them. My husband is my number one mentor and Pastor Nomthi Odukoya is another person I look up to. The Internet is big and you can learn from people who you are not even friends with but are connected to through the social media.

Photo credit: Instagram/SunmboAdeoye

1. marlee

September 5, 2016 at 10:53 am

is the husband competing with a xmas tree or what? or that decoration. General overseer of-course. kwa.

• Amaka

September 6, 2016 at 9:14 pm

So in the midst of, among, in spite of all she said; spiritually, emotionally and intellectually, that is the only point you drew out.. Pastor competing with Xmas tree.. Na wa o. F9 parallel.

2. MEE

September 5, 2016 at 11:00 am

Love can make us do stupid things and i agree with that, and these boyfriends mum can like to finger our brains sometimes but the truth is they do it to all of you and you stay there thinking like you are the chosen one. All na wash. Its all good and ended well. Lets move on to NNPC and the proposed fuel increment

3. misstee

September 5, 2016 at 11:08 am

so inspired with this story. Everyone has a past and when God intervenes, he makes you brand new and u will forget your past shame and reproach.

• ATL's finest

September 5, 2016 at 1:05 pm

@ Misstee exactly! God works in a mysterious ways & our ways are completely different from his :).

• ATL's finest

September 5, 2016 at 1:06 pm

*Ours*

• Zi

September 5, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Very true!

4. Turban Girl

September 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

Mrs Sunmbo Adeoye, Hi! I do not know if it is the excerpts Bellanaija gave us, but I don’t see you owning up to the poor choices you made. In fact, the BS in this particular excerpts look like you were giving all the blame to 2baba and his mom, and you were just a naïve “daddy’s lil girl.” Please own your past, these things happen, that’s the only way you can be a lesson to the young girls out there. Not all this “I was a church girl, and I had an encounter with the devil.”

• kilipot

September 5, 2016 at 3:12 pm

It’s like you have comprehension problem or something.

• Manny

September 5, 2016 at 6:04 pm

How do you want her to “own up” as you call it? Since you’re her GOD. Do you want her to self-flagellate in public? Roll in a pigsty? Tell us.

• Eden

September 5, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Exactly!! The devil has suffered let’s cut d guy some slack ..we cannot truly rid of our ego and acquire wisdom if we cannot hue ourselves and admit our errors!! The problem is we in Africa say d devil caused me to NAH at 24 years old pregnant for a celeb a broken marriage caused by your dishonesty u actually gave pregnancy to an innocent man lying it was his and he married you whilst u upheld d lie under oath to save face for society secretly without involving your mom then it broke when he found out then you moved back to tuface and got pregnant again but you knew you he had fathered other kids if we ordinary ppl knew u must v heard living under his roof (IF I HEAR?) so u weren’t the favorable choice so you wisened and left (well so you say) LIFE IS A GAME we take chances if either of your two chess moves had checkmate you would not have married the pastor so like most Naija girls you fall back to default joined the choir the pastor that had always been there suddenly became more noticeable..of cos he is more manageable n less likely to cheat he is a better option he wasn’t your number one choice love at first sight your heart skipped but you have learnt your lessons so my dear leave that matter n be glad it’s all past now. You were hurt as you didn’t win d game u r healed now as you v found peace n solace..devil is not in my own version just poor and smart decisions thank you @edenevent

• tunmi

September 6, 2016 at 2:46 pm

She owned up to her stuff. She admitted doing these things. She sounds like she’s forgiving herself and making amends. I wish her well

5. Frida

September 5, 2016 at 11:28 am

I get so annoyed when I read stories about how pastors who are supposed to be christ”s representatives on earth shame people for committing sin esp as regards to pregnancy outside wedlock…..something JESUS christ would never do. In the bible, he didn’t condemn Mary magdalena or other adulteress …..so how dare human beings condemn them.
    Don’t get me wrong,fornication is a sin….but it really helps to correct the sinner with love.
    Sorry to say, but Nigerian pentecostal churches are guilty of this…from conducting pregnancy tests on intending couples ….that’s just wrong. If they get pregnant…is it the end of the world? It’s worse if the lady aborts the pregnancy for fear of what people will say. The fact the the lady is not pregnant doesn’t mean the couple are not having premarital sex….even if they are…leave them to God to judge. We should even be thankful that they’re taking apostle Paul”s advice about ‘getting married rather than burn with passion’.
    Now see how Sunmbo out of fear and shame….married out of pressure to a wrong guy.
    We all commit sin….albeit differently.

6. Noname

September 5, 2016 at 11:44 am

Se I talk am before dat she dey married and person talk say na d other woman. This sisi never talk truth sha. Lived with 2baba where? She dated dem at the same time come carry belle tell the husband say na im own. When she born na 2baba face comot and dem chase am comot.

7. Prince

September 5, 2016 at 11:53 am

INNOCENT IDIBIA, You try o.
    Just reading this interview, I had to say that I’m sorry cos I’ve in one time judge this lady for having two children for a man that she’s not married to. She was in love and thought 2face was too. Sometimes i wonder how these celebrities have children with different women, does that mean they don’t use condoms or what. I won’t be surprise if some of them have HIV and its likes.

• Jo

September 5, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Lol at “…does that mean they don’t use condoms or what.” Well, it definitely means that they don’t or the condom breaks.

8. meninnist

September 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm

O puhlease, let call a spade a spade. She got pregnant by tuface and tried to pass it off as her first husbands, but the baby came out looking like tuface. She got divorced and tried to work it out with tuface father of many nations but it did not workout. It’s crazy some people have to learn the hard way. On to your new hubby. He was a pastor that courted a church member… how does that sound?

” I was going to drop my tall, dark and handsome standard for whatever He wanted for me.”

this sounds like desperation more like get married to a man you’re not physically attracted to because Tubaba didn’t want to settle down. God forbid I marry someone who doesn’t think I’m handsome….

Dating is simple ” always date a man/woman who will reciprocate the same love and respect you give to them.” For some reason it’s hard for many to understand. I kept it nice by the way.

• Noname

September 5, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Gbam oh na me talk am before and na me talk am again. Thank God say peeps wey know the truth dey alive. This babe can lie fa.

• ucylo

September 5, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Call me 🙂

• God rewrites history

September 5, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Some people sha. They will hold on tight to what God has dropped since. Be there counting her sins and mistakes for her. Be there reading meaning into every sentence.
      I’ve also had to drop my tall, dark handsome standard. Not out of desperation but because I grew in the Lord and realized that his ways are not mine. And as you grow older, you realize that it’s what’s inside that matters. Not that physical looks don’t matter but let it be spontaneous rather than regimented to tall, dark handsome

• meninnist

September 5, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Lol na wa o, some people like to use God’s name in vein. Human beings choices in mates are dictated by what’s available. If the tall dark and handsome man propose to you, you would say it’s from God as well. I agree you grew with God, you also grew out of choices of tall dark and handsome men to marry. Lol inside is what matters if your type isn’t available. Usually hear that from people married or dating worwor people

• T Y

September 5, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Gbam she was obviously sleeping with two men at the same time. If not how do you pass a pregnancy to another man as a deception to marry him. You come born the baby finish, he reassemble tubaba so tey your deceitful ways sent you out of your husbands house, you went back to tuface to cover your shame. Stupidly got pregnant again…. I mean, I am sorry You made foolish choices, but so did you get born again after all of this? This testimony would have been inspiring if you mentioned your moment of turn around when it dawned on you you were walking a wrong path. Considering you are now a pastors wife I expected a more “turning point” story that will inspire. This is just all shades of ; hey, even if you treaded the same path I did, something better wil still come your way. How about owning to your mistakes. I didn’t read any of that in this. This interview wasn’t that necessary ma’am. I have watched a similar CBN Tv’s turning point story like yours from a lady who God is now using. If someone was trying to pass off another man’s baby and watched that, she will go on her knees for mercy. The outcome is not always good. But this, Pastors Mrs Sumbo, is no way inspiring.

• Manny

September 5, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Now Imagine that the CBN woman gave ANOTHER interview similar to this one that Sunmbo gave. Wouldn’t it be stupid for anyone to go on a rant like yours about how she has never owned up. You want her to confess ALL her sins and faults EVERY TIME she is interviewed????? Who are you people?????

• T Y

September 5, 2016 at 7:57 pm

@Manny it’s my opinion and I’m just being honest about it. I was really into her story from the beginning. What if someone reading her interview is in the place she used to be, her past. How do you get out of there?, she might not be on CBN but if you open your mouth to talk about your past like this be ready to call a spade a spade and pass the message to young girls out there., not every one will be as lucky/blessed as she got. So many people are facing consequences and still need to heal. She said her pastor asked her to bring the father, and she brought a man and they went to the registry, do you just bring a man from space? I read through again to see if I missed something but she doesn’t mention how she healed from her shame, how she found herself. Meeting a man or marrying a pastor will not help you heal, it’s between you and God. He forgives us no matter what we do, as long as you acknowledge your wrong-doings and wicked ways; that is where you draw self-worth from. When did she come to see the light. these are things that you don’t miss when giving a testimony as this, you don’t need CBN camera to say these things, esp if you have time to talk about how the baby daddy is breeding about.

9. Johanna

September 5, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I’m indeed happy for you Bimbo!! How boundless and deep Yahweh’s love for us! “…it is of the Lord that shows mercy.” Life could be such an irony though. Waiting patiently, husband :-))

10. rain

September 5, 2016 at 1:43 pm

at yabatech @ 24 you were doing runs

• O

September 5, 2016 at 2:16 pm

She said she met him at yabatech. She also said she got pregnant for him at 24. She didn’t she was still at yabatech when she got pregnant.

• O

September 5, 2016 at 2:18 pm

*didn’t say she…

11. Audrey

September 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm

This spoke to me.

12. sistren

September 5, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Anty isssokay we have heard. Please I think you should move on from this story of how he was bad or anything to/for you considering he has a family already which you are familiar with + almost grown kids involved. Pero doesn’t say pim….imagine your ex husband explaining to the world how bad of a choice you were to him too.. get it? Thank you.

• FasholasLover

September 5, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I don’t get the purpose of this interview. 2Face is now “settled” and has a wife and children. You are now married to a man who is not your “speck” one, who also did not father any child with his late wife…..But, is willing to help look after yours. See, marriage is a contract. Enjoy this contract….Judgement day shall be a very hot pot of beans indeed. So, please move on. Your ex-husband may just decide to tell his own side of the story, which is that you deviously tried to pin another man’s pregnancy/baby on him. This interview has no relevance at all. Sunmbo, receive sense and move on.

13. Fabulous B

September 5, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Thanks so much, ma. Definitely a life experience to learn from. I have actually been expecting this from her. It came at the right time. God bless you, ma. Worth sharing

14. Fabulous B

September 5, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Wait o! Bellanaija, what happened to my avatar? It’s not what it used to be

15. Celeste

September 5, 2016 at 3:39 pm

This her story is not complete oO. She definitely didn’t bring the other man (I mean her first husband) from the sky and tried to pass 2baba’s son as his – thank God the truth came out.

And madam, please stop with the “I had the experience so other young girls wouldn’t”, its flake and dishonest. Truth is: you made a mistake because you were young and there was youthful exorbitant; you were ignorant, misinformed, misguided or judged wrongly.

Young people will make their own mistake and learn from it, just as you did. Except in cases where the child is guided, lucky or graced, then they won’t experience such in their life journey.

All in all, I thank God for his mercy in your life – You are a proof that God doesn’t write-off his children; He is ever ready to bless us with a second and better chance if we repent and turn to him.

• o

September 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Youthful exuberance…. You’re welcome!

16. Oscar

September 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm

She was pregnant and pinned it on some other guy she had to marry cos her pastor insisted on a marriage. WTH l is that? Home video ish right here. Some women sha. You still hid the paternity until the baby was born to look nothing like your husband. wow wow wow

17. iyke

September 5, 2016 at 4:03 pm

youthful exorbitant!!
    Oyibo!!!
    Suukaaaa the english Celeste …..Suukaaa ya well well.
    See wetin vex dey cause…..

18. meninnist

September 5, 2016 at 10:22 pm

If Tubaba didn’t marry Annie and asked Sumbo for her hand in marriage she would probably leave the pastor solely based off the fact she shares children with Tubaba.

From what I read she didn’t leave Tubaba, Tubaba left her for his harem of women. Eventually settling down with Annie step mommy to 100 children lol

19. WhatifPerosaidthis?

September 6, 2016 at 2:15 am

The amount of hypocrisy on BN comments amazes me. Imagine if Pero said these exact words in an interview. Except she married someone eventually but who is not a pastor. I know those who are taping into this as inspiring will be crucifying Pero and calling her names. But Sunnbos will be diff cos she married a man of God.