News

Mark Zuckerberg Departs Nigeria for Kenya

Mark in KenyaBillionaire Tech Mogul, Mark Zuckerberg, in continuation of his first visit to Sub-Saharan Africa, has departed Nigeria for Kenya.

He posted on his Facebook Page:

Just landed in Nairobi! I’m here to meet with entrepreneurs and developers, and to learn about mobile money – where Kenya is the world leader.

I’m starting at a place called iHub, where entrepreneurs can build and prototype their ideas. Two of the engineers I met – Fausto and Mark – designed a system to help people use mobile payments to buy small amounts of cooking gas, which is a lot safer and better for the environment than charcoal or kerosene. It’s inspiring to see how engineers here are using mobile money to build businesses and help their community.

Mark in Kenya2

The Facebook founder also met with the county’s Cabinet Secretary of Information and Communications, Joseph Mucheru, over lunch.

“We talked about internet access and his ambitious plans for connecting everyone in Kenya. We ate at MAMA Oliech Restaurant – a local place everyone recommended. One of my favorite parts of traveling to a new country is trying the food. I enjoyed Ugali and a whole fried Tilapia for the first time and loved them both!,” Zuckerberg said.

Mark in Kenya

1. Ms jazz

September 1, 2016 at 3:09 pm

And some people said he was eating pounded yam and vegetable soup with fish in Nig? Na wa for una o ?

• Anon

September 1, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Which people? From the horse’s mouth, he said he did. Didn’t you watch his live Facebook Q and A?

• pat

September 1, 2016 at 3:44 pm

yes he did. read his facebook page. ms jazz, what do u do with ya data…
      chai see we Africans. big big coat, and Mark has a hoodie…we no go learn say life simply

• Hmmmm

September 1, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Trust Naijas to carry inaccurate information. Too much shouting. They posted this pic, akpu and vegetable soup when it’s clearly from Kenya. You see how Kenyans are quiet, even the fact president Obama is half kenyan, they don’t make too much noise about it. And when you visit Kenya, they are actually very ahead in the technology world. Zuckerberg visited naija first bcos we bring most money to his pocket. We Naijas think we are first in everything bcos we are the loudest.

2. Prince

September 1, 2016 at 4:09 pm

This dude’s simplicity is giving raising my dada. I just love him some more. More Grace Mark

• De Duchess

September 1, 2016 at 4:32 pm

You know what made me happy, he didn’t meet with any politicians or try to make excuses for the government like other white people do.
      The US secretary and others think they can come to Nigeria and tell us what they ‘assume’ is our problem.
      I am so happy, he didn’t do anything with politicians and at the end of the day, his visit proves that innovation is impact. There was no room for those without the capability to ‘think’.
      Great!

• Miss T

September 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm

But Mark Z is not a politician and didn’t travel to Nija on political assignment so why would he have met with politicians?

3. Err

September 1, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Thank God he left Nigeria without incident.Some of our aggrieved groups could have disgraced Nigeria.

4. amaka

September 1, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Phew! He made it out of Nigeria safely without anything happening to him… was quite worried. Oh Yea and he finally changed his shirt….

• Jay

September 1, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Your statement is funny. Is Nigeria a War Zone? Don’t we have Dollar Billionaires here who call Nigeria home. What Has happened to them? Celebrities around the world come here often: what Bad things happened to them While they were here?

His visit actually proved that we re a safe country. He’s the fifth richest person in the world, yet he came here quietly, refused security detail to follow him about and was very uninterested in mingling with our Govt officials.

Worry more about Yourself. Mark Zuckerberg enjoyed his Nigeria visitation.

• CovertNigerian

September 1, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Ummmm…he buys his grey tshirts in bulk. Hopefully, I’m just missing your sarcasm and you realize that he hasn’t been wearing the same shirt for days. Besides, he is probably wearing his grey tshirt beneath his hoodie – Nairobi is not as hot as Lagos.

• Iris

September 1, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Lol I thought I was the only one holding my breath. I didn’t want to be the only one to say it.
      Watch him go to Kenya now and say their rice is the best one ever hehe.

5. Puzzles

September 1, 2016 at 5:09 pm

My fellow Nigerians, learn from the Kenyans in the picture. Food they eat with hands, they eat with hands.

They did not ‘form’ by using fork and knife to eat ‘swallow” because they are with Mark. See Mark copying them and eating with his hands.

But my dear Nigerians would be using fork and knife to eat “swallow” especially when they are in restaurants, behaving like it is “razz” to eat “swallow” with hands.

• CovertNigerian

September 1, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Not everything is forming. It has been years since I ate swallow with my hands, and this includes years of eating akpu almost everyday in shacks while at UNN where there was certainly no one worth forming for. In fact, I am probably more likely to use my hands when eating with a Non-Nigerian just to demonstrate what is typical.

Knowing the few Kenyans I do, I can guarantee you that forming is not alien to them – this ought to be obvious. Don’t jump to conclusions.

• shizzle

September 1, 2016 at 9:31 pm

So us that were raised with fork and knife should start using hands because you feel we are forming.

please please I have never used my hands and each time I attempt to use it, I just mess up the whole food because am trying to act in “cultured”

in Igbo Sieba pwo

6. International Student

September 1, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Mark! So because you have been calling me so many times and I told you I was a bit busy and that I will call you back, you refused to come to Ghana? Anyway your PA told me that you will still come to Accra whether I like it or not. If you come, maybe I will have a few minutes to spare for you, we can go eat grilled Tilapia in Osu.

Guys do you crave for an experience in schooling abroad? If yes, I am also like you.

Visit my blog

as I share my personal journey with you

7. Marlvina

September 1, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I never enjoyed Ugali while I was in Nairobi. Semo, Poundo, Eba, fufu anyday but Ugali? Naah…