BN TV

NYFWSS17: Jackie Aina reacts to Marc Jacobs’ use of White Models with Dreads at NYFW SS17 Show

Marc Jacobs was recently under fire at this year’s NYFW Spring Summer 2017 show, for creating looks that featured locs on mostly white models. Beauty vlogger Jackie Aina, who uses quite a lot of Marc Jacobs products; had a few things to say concerning turning what black people know to be a culture, into a trend for the runway and making money off it without even giving credit to it’s origin.

With all the backlash on social media, here’s what Marc Jacobs had to say;

All who cry ‘cultural appropriation’ or whatever nonsense about any race or skin color wearing their hair in any particular style or manner — funny how you don’t criticise women of color for straightening their hair. I respect and am inspired by people and how they look. I don’t see color or race — I see people.

Did you think the show was culturally insensitive and not inclusive enough?

Watch the Video

See Photos from the Marc Jacobs NYFW Show

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: Model Kendall Jenner walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show durin New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: Model Jourdan Dunn walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show durin New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: A model walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show durin New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: Model Bella Hadid walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show during New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Peter White/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: Model Gigi Hadid walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show during New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Peter White/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: Model Adriana Lima walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show during New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Peter White/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 15: The designer walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show durin New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Peter White/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 15: The designer walks the runway at the Marc Jacobs fashion show durin New York Fashion Week at Hammerstein Ballroom on September 15, 2016 in New York City.

Watch the Full Runway Show

Photo Credits: Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images, Peter White/Getty Images

1. One4All

September 18, 2016 at 7:02 am

This is why we will ever remain unprogressive……looking for every opportunity to cry “racism”! I find nothing wrong at all with the hair style. He used black models rocking the same hair style as the white models. And these were obviously wigs. So a particular hair style is the exclusive right of a particular race, abi?
    I don’t hear anyone crying “racism” when black women (who are born with curly hair) straighten their hair with relaxer and wear brazillian wigs. Oya, black women, no more relaxer, no more brazillian hair, no more hair straighteners!
    Abeg, let’s find something worthwhile to argue about. Dollar is 425 Naira and I’m here talking about hair style! Chai!

• Butterscotch and Lemons

September 18, 2016 at 9:01 am

Did any of you even watch the video?
      She states clearly that black women in their society especially in the corporate world are not allowed to keep their natural hair as it is seen as dirty and inappropriate for the work space. Black women have to conform to what is seen as the standard “straight hair” in order to have a chance at succeeding like anyone else in the work place.
      She also mentions how Zendaya was blasted for rocking locs on the red carpet and how it was associated with smoking weed. But when its the reverse, its seen as artistic and high fashion.
      Please understand the situation before judging. 🙂

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 18, 2016 at 11:08 am

Errr I know so many black people who rock their black hair to work including myself, my mother as far back as the 80s and 90s rocked her hair to work at BOA because she was never of fond wigs or weaves and her hair was never a problem. Zendaya was not the first person to rock locs to a red carpet event, black people before her have rocked it major events like Oscars and Grammy without facing any backlash ie Whoopi Goldberg. So we can’t just exclude one bad event and build a city on it. I personally don’t think it’s fashion forward because a white person does it, those ladies up there both black and white look ridiculous with those things on their head, but who cares?
      What do you mean by “black women have to conform”? Sounds like another tactic to blame the white man, they conformed because they craved it, they wanted it, they loved how it made them look and till today they still do. How do you explain the millions of African women in Africa who use weaves? Were they also forced to conform? By who? Their fellow black folks? Your argument is flawed. Let’s learn to live and let live, we don’t have to find conflict in every activity.

• De Duchess

September 18, 2016 at 9:14 am

I tell you!!!
      Black (Americans) people get angry about everything and they are almost, always guilty of the same things.
      I love how someone shared the history of dreads. It does not even belong to the black culture. Lol.

• lulu

September 18, 2016 at 11:14 am

it s not about being/remaining unprogressive. Do u know how many pple of color have rocked dreadlocks or braids and it has been seen as unclean, pot-smoking! we appreciate when other pple like our cultures… take for example the MAC lipstick African girl and contrast with Angelina Jolie’s lips. how many Africans have pillow lips outside there.

I don’t care if anyone does what, but if u have a public platform, don’t tell me u see rainbow then use 2models out of the whole show.

• Benet

September 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I have emphathy for the plight of the African American. I come from a different heritage/race. I know for fact that if you want to climb the cooperate ladder your appearance is king. I have being on interview panels were a female with beautiful natural hair with all the credentials needed for the job was passover and job handed over to an applicant who fits corporate image with zero relevant credentials. Just look what happen in the south African school recently were kids were asked to tame their natural hair. The message of the supremacy of straight white hair is not even subtle it’s obvious. I can understand the angry reaction from African Americans it’s the fact that blacks are made to GIVE UP TO FIT IN whilst we don’t have any such restrictions.
      Bella blog is great. I enjoy reading the comments here. I have signposted my students. Doing a great job guys. Keep it up.

• Awiase

September 18, 2016 at 1:49 pm

@One4all nice comment.Also criticize something and you are a hater..Meanwhile,trust me and permit me to say this, everyone in life is biased in one way or the other with something in life.(not referring to this issue though but generally).My mum in law said this to me,I denied it but when I thought deep i believe it’s true.

• Passingby

September 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm

@one4All. Did you watch the video???. Is it that easy to hoodwink you guys. Jackie Ania is clued up . You’re just dumbed down. Just because you buy into the idea of your inferiority doesn’t mean we all should too!!!.

• One4All

September 18, 2016 at 5:32 pm

@Passingby. Did YOU watch the video? Or any other fashion video for that matter to know that models rock different hairstyles and outrageous make-up when strutting the runway. No race has the exclusive right to any hairstyle! It’s not as if the models wore black faces!
      If you feel that dreads are the exclusive rights of blacks, shouldn’t you feel good that a fashion designer decided to showcase the beauty of it?
      You’re the one with an enormous inferiority complex who is very comfortable hiding under the guise of racism. You see and perceive racism everywhere you go to boost your sense of importance. Get off your high horse and realise that life is too beautiful finding racism in every action. No one can make you feel inferior without your concent!

• Latifa

September 19, 2016 at 7:31 am

Thank you for speaking my mind….May God bless you. I really can’t understand how petty some people can be. Looking for every opportunity to cry about racism. Enough with bull already. 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

• BlueEyed

September 19, 2016 at 7:32 am

My initial reaction to this show, was at first a little worry as regards what AA’s would say to this, but allowing myself the opportunity to revisit this issue, I have seen that this is a mountain out of a mole hill situation. Marc Jacobs is an amazing designer and one that respects and gains inspiration from different cultures, followed him since his days at LV and he has stayed true to his craft of fashion.

• alake

September 29, 2016 at 3:56 pm

So OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the video. These things that you speak of concerning, what true culture appropriation involves was spelled out for you. Why is that women in Nigeria wear helmet head wigs in 99 degree whether. Why do women literally sale their bodies to buy such things. I don’t knock the woman that does, but ask yourself, . even in Africa why is that one of the main standard of beauty?

2. Marian

September 18, 2016 at 7:17 am

Lol. Give credit to the origin? I can’t deal with blk people sometimes. So other people can not be inspired by the things we do?? I don’t see any thank you videos to all those people donating human hair for blk people to use.

3. Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

September 18, 2016 at 7:42 am

But y’all be using bone straight weaves everywhere including run way. The backlash is definitely comical

4. Nene

September 18, 2016 at 8:11 am

What exactly is the problem? There were black models in the show and there’s nothing wrong here. Black people should start crying out when black designers and musicians use only white or mixed race models, now that’s a bigger issue. I see this happen a lot with Nigerian designers especially.

5. Tee

September 18, 2016 at 8:33 am

Which kind racism? I bet Samson in the Bible was also black too. Abeg don’t mind all these people that blame everything except themselves. Abraham sef wear earing, so it’s no black thing. They blame oyinbo colonial masters for everything while the slave sellers in those African countries enjoy the money they make from tourist. Infact some of these families are celebrated in Nigeria. If you doubt me, go Badagry. They blame oyinbo for everything while their chiefs and obas that sold out them in exchange for mirror abi gun na saints. Israelites suffer for Egypt abi now Africa when we were super power for 400yrs, biko who them blame? And exactly what the Bible says would happen is what the black race is going through today. We need to seek God to heal our land. Yes, that time sef go come, but we need to cry to God for it to happen. If you study the book “what is wrong with being black” by Mathew Ashimolowo, we go understand some things. Anyway, Any black that’s tired of the oppression should buy ticket and go back to Africa, oh sorry they don’t like it here cos it’s under developed. Abi na case of modern slavery of our leaders and their people. The trend never stop. Hmmmm

6. Babym

September 18, 2016 at 9:50 am

Yah I love you Jackie but in this issue u need to take several seats. It’s just getting ridiculous and extremely silly now. Abi u don’t know we get oyibo Rastafarians ni??.. I can just imagine explaining this argument to my little daughter… Dear daughter ur oyibo friends cannot copy ur hairstyle and when they do u have to know that they r racist and rant and cry about it but come let me relax your hair so u can look like them. How insane lol., And I don’t want to hear any ‘oh u don’t understand the black historical context and what not’. Black ppls r not slaves anymore!! U is free!! thank you Jesus!! Now ACT like u r Free!!

• Ada_ugo

September 18, 2016 at 11:59 am

lol… tell them!

• aj

September 19, 2016 at 12:15 am

you aren’t making any sense!

7. Mz_Danielz

September 18, 2016 at 9:55 am

I am not understanding. Are locks African? I’m asking because in my Igbo culture, it’s only osu’s who had some form of dada because they were not allowed to cut their hair to show that they were owned by the dieties. But I understand that my culture is not the entire Africa so please are there places having locks as their original culture not as a statement of rebellion?

I also thought the Jews had locks too. I.e, the Nazarenes. Someone please educate me

• Engoz

September 18, 2016 at 11:43 am

The only place I have read about dreadlocks being associated with Osu was in Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things fall apart’. I’ve been looking for a non-fiction to read on it, but haven’t found any yet. It would be great to study the association of Osu with dreadlocks.

8. Ada_ugo

September 18, 2016 at 11:57 am

his (Marc’s) response is so apt. black people just have a huge chip on their shoulder. this is simply fashion and creativity. for people who cry racism at every juncture, blacks are some of the biggest racists there ever have been!

9. Marie

September 18, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Black Americans suffer from insecurity issues probably because of what dey went through in their past (slavery)…. Cultural appropriation my ass ..mtcheww

10. Segi

September 18, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Locs were popularly and seen as a signature for Rastafarians and white hippies during 70s – 90s, and one undeniable truth shared by these two groups; Is there love for Mary Jane. Most of these folks aren’t exactly college graduates or professionals, you can’t blame other folks for ascribing a prejudice view over them. Bringing it home to Nigeria, in any regular home a man or woman cannot bring a dreadlocks partner home without getting a speech and a dose of side eye. Like others have stated, we (blacks) need to learn how to pick our battles.

11. ami

September 18, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Marc Jacobs is a manipulator. he wants to control the entire media. He has great influence on Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga and more. Jacobs has been cruelly torturing a young designer named Angel Barta for 7 years. He copied her designs for many brands. Read the truth at styleangelique blogspot

12. tunmi

September 18, 2016 at 1:00 pm

It’s really exhausting having Nigerians discuss something they cannot relate to.
    1. Straight hair is not exclusive to white people
    2. For the longest time, black people could not wear their hair naturally. Your singular example of your mom does not negate the many experiences of others. Afterall, it is recently that the military approved of black women wearing natural hair and protective styles even though it meets the length requirement.
    3. Nigerians, when black Americans aka the people who have suffered under racism legalized and otherwise for close to half a century are talking, shut up. Just shut up and listen. We do not know. We have not experienced it.

• Marian

September 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

What about Nigerians living in America? They should shut up too abi as the matter no concern them?

• aj

September 19, 2016 at 12:21 am

They are exactly that NIGERIANS in America NOT African Amercian.

• mizwest

September 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Tunmi Thank you gurl. You got my vote. I am an African living in the states. I experience racism I can brush it off because I know I brought myself here and I have the option of leaving if I want to. These people don’t have the option of leaving. They got to put up with it. I do not question their perceived or actual accounts of racism. I get their plight and right to be angry. I just get it. I feel previliaged as a Nigerian American. If you anit Black American then please do take a seat and stop trying to dictate how wounded people react to what you feel is a feather touch. Ever heard of the last straw that broke the camels back. It’s not all about the straw it’s about the burden already placed on the camel.

• Soji

September 18, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Tunmi @mizwest Deep and true. Thanx

• Macanthony

September 18, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Preach!

• aj

September 19, 2016 at 12:19 am

Thank you ooo. They will never understand the mentality and experience of African Americans. African Americans know the mindset of white people more than any African that has lived in America. If you cannot put yourself in their shoes then keep quiet!

• EE

September 19, 2016 at 2:26 am

*Pause*, we’re comparing oppression now???

I can’t even.

13. Miss Anoni Moss

September 18, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Thank you Tunmi, I don’t why people like to critisize what they have never experienced. Black Americans know what they have had to go through after years and years of physical and mental oppression, if you don’t understand it shut up because its not your fight.

• Ekene

September 18, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Thanks wetin, when its not black people own. Go nd research about dread. Make moles out of nothing.

14. concerned9a

September 18, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Women please pick the right fight…so many more pressing issues..if you not happy boycott his products…that’s a proper way to address these issues if substantiated

15. Bky

September 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Please you guys don’t understand the pain of African Americans! Yall don’t know what it is so please keep shut and listen. Just in Nigeria and the appointments of government officials from a particular region, yall start to wet your pants. The militants are always complaning that they use their resources without giving back. So why can’t talk see where African Americans are coming from? White Americans abuse blacks as ghetto and uncouth becAuse of their natural looks and style but when Marc Jacobs puts on the run way the whitest of the whites come out to watch and applaud calling it chic, avangard and trendy because it’s been advertised and marketed by a white person. If it was a black designer that put this on the runway you’d never hear or see headlines. Nigerians please race and race related issues are complex. I remember when I was in middle school and my parents just newly migrated and I had an accent, I was treated differently in a good way from the other blacks. As I grew older and my accent changed I went from the naive, sweet African girl to the ghetto, welfare destroying, lazy, dumb African American lady in their eyes. In my first year in university away from home everything dawned on me. The issue of race is complex and African Americans have always been on the unfavoured end. It hurts when the only place you know and call home has always been on fire. Everybody walks by and tells you to put out the fire but then there’s no water in your town and the fire department won’t come to help. There are only two things you can do, watch your house burn or scream till somebody with the power does something. If you don’t understand the struggle, keep shut and listen. You have a passport back home. They really don’t have a home.

• Ekene

September 18, 2016 at 4:22 pm

When dread is associated with evil in my village. Is seen as something not go be Associated with, Rituals have to be performed to have them removed. How has it become something to fight for its ownership. Return that your original Peruvian hair to the owners.

16. Bizy

September 18, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Not watching the video, but following the trend of conversation here. I just feel it’s wrong to tell Nigerians to shut up in issues like this. We all have scars and can relate to this, even when you think we can’t. At least in America the basis is skin color, but what of here in Nigeria when even with the same skin colour, ethnic rivalry is the bone of contention. Talk about cuz ur name screams Igbo, ur promotion is passed aside, or ur colleague can tell you straight up, that he doesn’t like ur tribe. So please…. (i just hope this isn’t op)

17. Humbug

September 18, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Mtcheeew!!!! Waste of time!

18. me

September 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Black people love the things white people do, From their fashion sense to their accents, but when the case is the reverse, there is an uproar from Africans and African-Americans alike using the racism card and complaining of slavery and appropriation.

It is good to see that Marc Jacobs used black models on the catwalk. Black people never taking full responsibility of ignorantly selling out their own to slavery. Every body’s got a story. Stop the unnecessary incessant drama.

19. WhoUEpp

September 18, 2016 at 6:45 pm

…someone writes 5 sentences (350 likes).::another writes 10 pages essay (1 & half likes)…less is more….don’t come and give me Jamb to redo…kindly keep it simple Mbok!

20. zzzzzzzzz

September 18, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Blacks need to chill sometimes. Dont see anything wrong in the fashion. Racism like injustice is everywhere. If you feel some should not use your style do not copy theirs. If carrying dreads is an issue, why applaud whitea when they wear our ankara

21. artklub

September 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Look – just get used to these discussions on complex subjects such as race, gender, power dynamics etc.. We are all getting WOKE and raising our levels of consciousness at accelerated rate and most of what we thought was OK or NO Biggie is now under review. Especially historically marginalized groups and standing up and demanding respect – there is nothing wrong with that. Marc Jacobs, like many creative white people, has had the privilege to pull influence from all sorts of cultural and ethnic references – it is part of what gave him attention in the first place. But it makes sense to question aspects of this Eurocentric gaze to actually review and ask – IS THIS REALLY Ok? Why so much fear to raise Questions?

22. Nini

September 19, 2016 at 12:32 am

I agree with Jackie… thoughtful and eloquent response.

23. Mscheeew

September 19, 2016 at 12:43 am

All this noise over hair….una no get work.

24. Gorgeous

September 19, 2016 at 2:58 am

I am an African lady in corporate America and I wear my hair very natural. As long as you know what you are doing and you keep your hair neat and clean, you will get jobs and you will be fine. I see some people trying to pass off bird nests as appropriate hair styles for work, and then they cry when it is frowned upon. Maybe Jackie is trying too hard to conform and be what she is not, that is why she is hurt with this new trend. People can try to enforce things on you, but it is up to you to turn it around in your favor. Never lose yourself for a job or career! I wouldn’t want to ever work in a place that will hire me based on my hair texture. Not neatness cause I keep my hair neatly styled for work that I get compliments. No one answered the zinger Marc put in there about Black women straightening their hair! That is also cultural appropriation. I think that video is nonsense Jackie, and I don’t think these models wearing faux locs should ever be an issue! He obviously did it for the attention m.

• Passingby

September 19, 2016 at 7:34 am

Dear gorgeous read up about assimilation and the impact that has on black Americans or indeed blacks of African origin. That would answer that insult Marc passes as a question which you are echoing. Let me be clear that question is like rubbing salt into injury.
      I see you acknowledge t the fact that some places would not hire you based on your hair texture?!. You don’t question that?!. Are you aware that not so long ago you wouldn’t get hired for the simple fact that you were BLACK. People with a backbone fought hard to end that discrimination that is why gorgeous you are able to sit in the front of the bus and get hired in SOME PLACES. As far as I am concerned there are two types of people in this world people like yourself who would gladly sit at the back of the bus ( your reasoning would be at least am on the bus and I really wouldn’t want to sit up front with all those people who don’t want me) but you would be glad to benefit from the struggles of others and people like Jackie who are activist who want to creat awareness and effect change. I admire people like Jackie and those before her if not for them my dear you would struggle to get a job as a maid in America. My advise to people like yourself if you can be a good little nigger and conformist then at least be a good little sista sit in the corner and let grown ups lead. I’m done. I deal with lots of you in the work place.

• Dee

September 19, 2016 at 8:03 am

Slow clap. Well said! In their eagerness to conform, please, appease and be accepted, people forget so quickly. Well done to Jackie and others who aren’t afraid to ask tough questions.

• KMT

September 19, 2016 at 10:50 am

You know what they say about blacks and books. I’m not surprised they have taken that question and ran with it. Not realising it’s a f**king slap in the face.

• Gorgeous

September 19, 2016 at 3:02 pm

This is a ridiculous write up and filled with a victim mentality. Trust me people like Jackie did not pace any way for me! I made my own way on my own sweat and with my own identity. I have led a team of all white men with my natural, nappy as hell and hard hair! Through admiration of who I am, Nigerians have been hired in my workplace and not feared that they will steal money! My pride in who I am has brought me admiration! My hair does not mean shit in all these contexts. I have never had a problem getting a job! As for sitting in the front of the bus, the people that fought hard for it were not making YouTube videos crying about relaxed or straight hair! They were out there getting respect by their actions and being judged by their actions not their looks. If I had straight hair, I would still never want to be hired in a company that will hire based on hair texture as that will not be the end of my problems. This discussion is useless to be honest! I had a Nigerian MALE friend with long locs though very neat and he was very successful at his corporate job too! So please start to respect yourself and not get so paranoid and victimized! No one forced you to put relaxer in your hair! That was your choice even if you think it was implied in the workplace and you so want to be western that you don’t care about cultural appropriation. But you scream blue murder when another race appropriates your culture. You pretender, wannabe fake! That is what happens to fakes when appearances carries them only so far! Trends will always change, be yourself and you will trend!

• Soji

September 19, 2016 at 6:17 pm

What the actual f**k did I just read. Okay first of all They were not making YouTube videos because it wasn’t invented back then!!. ?.They were making headlines though and creating awareness. It started with small things like not giving up a seat!. What do ya know bout Dat.? Absolutely zilch from the looks of it. You think hair is nothing? People got discriminated against becos of a crazy little thing like colour of their skin and you figure hair don’t count?. What planet you on? At least Jackie is articulate,? you though?? ?!?. Where do you say you work again.? you must be one of those affirmative action beneficiaries, yep you didn’t get that job based on the intellect on display in your comments. Please sit down and get yourself a copy of uncle Toms Cabin. You remind me of the character Sambo.??

• KMT

September 20, 2016 at 6:51 am

@geogeous hold on wait a minute, so you are saying all the other blacks and ethnic minorities who get discriminated against deserve it becos they have questionable / less than admirable/ impeccable characters? I can’t believe you are claiming to have singularly defeated racism through your “”exemplary impeccable attributes”” You are taking credit for all the other blacks/ ethnic minorities that have been given employment at your place of work ? Loooool. How come I’ve never read about you in the history books . You should be right up there next to Malcolm X .Girl bye I can’t deal. I tell you what , you get the much converted combined Oscar award for arrogance and ignorance KMT!

25. Beckys World Events

September 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

As blacks we seriously need to take a chill pill, we shout equality all the time but we don’t want other culture to blend in with ours, every little thing we start screaming cultural appropriation. How many times have dyed our hairs blond, or rock blond or red wigs? How many times have we used relaxers or straightening combs? We need to grow up and understand the fact that the world is a global village and we all borrow from each others culture.

26. Oghogho