Scoop

Adele opens up about her Struggle with Postpartum Depression

BellaNaija.com

image

Music star Adele is the cover star of the latest issue of Vanity Fair and in the magazine the mum of one opens up on how she battled postpartum depression and more.

Here’s what the 28-year-old entertainer had to share with the mag:

On her battle with postpartum depression: “I had really bad postpartum depression after I had my son, and it frightened me. […] My friends who didn’t have kids would get annoyed with me…whereas I knew I could just sit there and chat absolute mush with my friends who had children, and we wouldn’t judge each other. One day I said to a friend, ‘I fuckin’ hate this,’ and she just burst into tears and said, ‘I fuckin’ hate this, too.’ And it was done. It lifted. My knowledge of postpartum—or post-natal, as we call it in England—is that you don’t want to be with your child; you’re worried you might hurt your child; you’re worried you weren’t doing a good job. But I was obsessed with my child. I felt very inadequate; I felt like I’d made the worst decision of my life. It can come in many different forms. Eventually I just said, I’m going to give myself an afternoon a week, just to do whatever the fuck I want without my baby. A friend of mine said, ‘Really? Don’t you feel bad?’ I said, I do, but not as bad as I’d feel if I didn’t do it.”

image image

On making more music: “I’d still like to make records, but I’d be fine if I never heard [the applause] again.”

On drinking less: “Having a hangover with a child is torture,” she says. “Just imagine an annoying three-year-old who knows something’s wrong; it’s hell.” She goes on to say, “I used to love to be drunk, but as I got more famous I would wake up the next morning and think, What the fuck did I say and who the fuck did I say it to? […] I can see from an outsider’s perspective that I will never write songs as good as the ones that are on 21, but I’m not as indulgent as I was then, and I don’t have time to fall apart like I did then. I was completely off my face writing that album, and a drunk tongue is an honest one. I would drink two bottles of wine, and I would chain-smoke. Then I’d write the lyrics down and the next morning think, Fuck, that’s quite good. Then I’d find the melody. But since I’ve had my baby, I’m not as carefree as I used to be.”

Read more here.

1. Pastor

October 31, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Ehya nwannem Adele, the root cause of your depression is sin o and your solution is salvation. Sin no more and your hormones and head will comply. amen

2. bruno

October 31, 2016 at 10:13 pm

she’s a very sinful woman and she was living a life of sin, that’s why she suffered from postpartum depression (dumb nigerian pastor voice). dear nigerian pastors pls u people should concentrate on milking ir ignorant congregation dry instead of talking about important life threatening issues like depression or disease.

her selling point is her voice, her face and her wonderful personality. she has an amazing face. if u watch the hello video well, they only showed her face strategically.

the 2017 grammy album of the year is between her and Beyoncé’s lemonade. it will be a fierce battle.

• Gerry

November 1, 2016 at 8:57 am

Just shut up!

• adewale

November 1, 2016 at 11:01 am

Mr. Bruno you can air you opinion contrary as it may and choose what you believe and disagree with what anybody says no matter who they are, I mean you are always entitled to a choice ….but please for your sake don’t call a pastor dumb(whether fake or original in your eyes) because you were not there when he or she received the “calling”. I just hope you understand the need to be careful what you say to a pastor. Some have “abused” the calling or not called atall…I know right but it still remains you should never say mean words as “dumb” because you are not God you know not the heart of men and God has dissuaded anyone from such act 1chronicles 16 21-22 . I just hope you understand.

3. Steph

October 31, 2016 at 10:31 pm

This is probably the most honest interview I’ve ever read! Wishing her the best!

• Peggy

November 1, 2016 at 1:00 pm

you just took the words right out of my mouth!

4. [email protected]

November 1, 2016 at 2:48 am

Is posr partym depression these mental illness he was talking about. Please if you are not a Christian shut your opinions on what Christian cleric preach. Ahn ahn just shut up. I lived with Muslims they follow their clerocs teaching because I am not under them. You can ne under the authority of nature or the government or nothing at all. What has your atheism got you. Biko God loves everybody. A man of Hod preach you say he is giving a soft pat to the members he gives hard truth you say he is lying ehen you can be the scientist. Christians keep too calm too tho ahn ahn. I am a new chrisyian and I love Jesus I had extremely contrary beliefs before but God. It is a relationship not a religion. I don’t attend daystar not even in dat state sef.

5. Nonamespls

November 1, 2016 at 7:40 am

I just love love Adele and I agree 21 seems to be her best so far.

6. Mahka

November 1, 2016 at 7:58 am

Such an honest interview, she curses way too much; probably a brit thing.
    21- one n only…the best album yet.

7. Ayodeji

November 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

She wont top 21. ( the album).. The same way MJ wasnt able to top Thriller.They only happen once in a career,buh Adele’s album will always sell thats one thing for sure. I like the fact she isn’t shy from her imperfections and all unlike Bey who always form Perfection everydays of her life.. 2017’s Grammy will be lit BTW