News

Ghana’s Electoral Commission Disqualifies 13 Out of 17 Presidential Aspirants

EC Chairman, Charlotte Osei

EC Chairman, Charlotte Osei

The Electoral Commission of Ghana (EC) has disqualified thirteen presidential candidates from contesting this year’s elections.

The Commission said only four candidates qualified.

EC Chairman, Charlotte Osei, on Tuesday in Accra named the  qualified candidates as John Mahama of the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC), Nana Akufo-Addo of the main opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP), Ivor Greenstreet of the Convention People’s Party (CPP), and Jacob Osei-Yeboah, an independent candidate.

She said that the nominees have been excluded from the 2016 race as presidential candidates for violating various aspects of the electoral laws of Ghana.

Osei added that the reasons include fraudulent signatures, absence of required number of signatures, and improper filling of nomination forms.

She added that some of the fraudulent information provided by the nominees would be followed up by the police for possible arrest and prosecution.

Ghana goes to the polls on December 7 to elect a president and 275 Members of Parliament.

Photo Credit: Ghana Web

1. Mpongs

October 11, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I envy this country. I wish my country Cameroon could aspire to this level even. Paul Biya is about to have another term . Smh , I am not even holding my breath to see this in my lifetime.

• KickMahamaTheFckOut

October 12, 2016 at 4:38 am

I am Ghanaian. Trust me all that glitters is not gold. This heffa is new electoral commissioner and extremely corrupt and paid by that president mahama to screw up the election to go his way again by stealing but we the voters will show her who has power come December. And the most annoying thing is she is not even 100% Ghanaian. She’s Nigerian. With the suffering most Ghanaians have suffered in past eight years under corrupt ndc government, who ever tries any nonsense come December including this heffa, has their selves to blame. The battle is the lords. Mahama has to go. Worse President ever, even military regime with rawlings was way better than these bunch of fvking thieves called ndc

• Ijebujesha

October 12, 2016 at 5:36 am

Why do you guys keep swarming here? Dont you all have bellacameroon, bellaGhana or something? Even if you dont have, cant YOU start one? Soon now, y’all will be saying Nigerians are arrogant..Why wont they be arrogant when all of you will be doing like Nigeria is the only country in Africa…Na joke I dey o..before the Pan-Africans come for my head…

• Ghanaba

October 12, 2016 at 8:23 am

You are the definition of a true moron

2. EE

October 12, 2016 at 1:18 am

How far the CPP has fallen.

3. Awiase

October 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm

@Ijebujesha,I also find some naija peep commenting on some Ghanaian blogs and this issue is a Ghanaian one so who do you expect to comment the most?.Stop this childish act of yours.!!!Naija,Ghanaian,American etc are all humans who may all die someday and rot the same.And to you,Bella Naija u found it worthy to publish this comment but at times the sensible comments that you should publish,you use it for your pepper soup.Sit up for once!!!!Or lemme guess,are you behind this comment????