News

Olusegun Obasanjo and I Quarreled Because He wanted to be President for Life – Atiku Abubakar

BellaNaija.com

Atiku & Obasanjo - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com

Atiku (L) and Obasanjo (R)

Nigeria’s former vice president, Atiku Abubakar has said that his former boss, former president Olusegun Obasanjo was seeking to be president for life, through his ‘third term agenda’ towards the end of his second tenure.

Atiku made this known in an interview with Zero Tolerance, a quarterly magazine published by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Speaking on the reason for the fallout between him and Obasanjo, Atiku said:

My offence was that I disagreed with him on the amendment of the constitution to remove tenure/term limits or what was popularly called the ‘third term agenda’.

“In fact, he sent the then Attorney-General and Prof. Jerry Gana to my office to bring the draft amendments to the constitution. After going through (them), I found out that tenure limits had been removed. In other words, he could be President for life.

“I then asked them that ‘if I send you to the President, can you deliver this message?’ They said yes. I said ‘go and tell him I will not support it and (I) will fight it’.

Atiku added that this disagreement made Obasanjo tag him as corrupt. He also said that the then Chairman of the EFCC, Nuhu Ribadu, who recently returned to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after he left them for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2014, came to apologise to him after he (Ribadu) accused him of corruption.

“When he came to ask me for forgiveness, I said if you want me to forgive you, Nuhu, go to the same television stations where you said I was corrupt and say you now (have) realised that I am not corrupt.

Then he said ‘sir, you have forgiven so many people who have offended you publicly without them going to TV stations to apologise to you’ and I said, ‘your case is different because first of all, I helped to found the EFCC’.

I was instrumental to your appointment, so, I believe I have contributed to your development and this is how you are paying me back. In any case, he kept on apologising and I said, ‘okay, no problem. That closed the chapter’,” Atiku said.

The former vice president also denied media reports that a report by the United States Senate accused him of laundering $40m in the U.S between 2000 and 2008.

“It was an allegation which was not proved. It was my legitimate money which I transferred to the U.S; there was nothing (wrong) about it. More so, I was not indicted in that report. They only said suspicious funds but I proved before the Senate committee that they were not suspicious,” Atiku said.

He also spoke about his dealings with a convicted Louisiana congressman, William Jefferson.

He explained that Jefferson had approached him for a communications project but he referred the American to the minister of communications.

“Apparently, I didn’t know he (Jefferson) had duped a lady and collected marked money from her in my name. Unknown to him, the FBI were on his trail. But, of course, there was no way he could give me money because what was $100,000 to me?

Eventually, my wife’s residence was searched and nothing was found but when his residence was searched, of course, the money was found there and he was convicted. I was not even called as a witness,” Atiku added.

Credit: PUNCH

1. gbemi oluleye

November 15, 2016 at 10:38 am

or RATHER Obasanjo and you quarrelled because you DID NOT WANT TO BE VICE PRESIDENT FOR LIFE…. don’t worry eh your own time is coming

2. Becca

November 15, 2016 at 10:45 am

ATiku can spilllll. and what he is saying doesn’t seem far fetched. Baba wanted to be forever president. even now he is still having control over so many things

3. Luqman

November 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

The story of Atiku and OBJ – When the corny man dies, na corny man go bury am.
    Ebora owu: No be me bring you come from Adamawa
    Turaki: Eyin lo un d’akuko (Na egg hatches into a chicken na baba)
    Ebora owu: I’m still your boss and I wan be like Mugabe (aligned with me)
    Turaki: I also get ambition to succeed you
    Ebora owu: K’omo to joro, emi father e gbodo j’ogun
    Ebora owu: I would change constitution just to show you I am the boss
    Turaki: We would wait and see the outcome – no forget say na democracy we dey practice
    Ebora owu: Constitution amendment passed
    National Assembly: Constitution amendment nullified
    Ebora owu: I would have to compensate Yaradua family and Ijaw people in order to send Turaki into oblivion – I go show am pepper for this country.
    Politics is really dirty.
    Power intoxicates!

4. Mo'Diva

November 15, 2016 at 11:49 am

I believe you atiku buh at the same time you too were eyeing that post, abi no be so?

5. sirOscie

November 15, 2016 at 12:40 pm

For his then boss Obj to not see any tangible reason to nail him for opposing his third term plans opening, I believe all the corruption tag was just creating to him to humiliate his then deputy and make him unelectable in Nigeria forgetting that he’s not God that gives power.
    Turaki will always rise above the plans of detractors and those who are bent on pulling him down.
    Fight on Turaki, the Lord is your strength our leader.

6. Obj

November 15, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Atiku, that Obj wanted to be president for life is no lie and no news. But what is news is that effc that is supposed to investigate you is now the one interviewing you in order to right your wrong and prepare you for 2019. See ehn, we’re not fools. We know the plan but God will intervene. Please nobody is a fool.

7. Marian

November 15, 2016 at 2:29 pm

With all due respect, you too dey lie sir. These people just like to fall hand sha.
    Please don’t say that whole you are not corrupt line out loud ever again sir, unless taking a bribe no longer counts. Why they always lying mehn?
    I’m sure if we interview Abacha’s kids they too gon be like, daddy was a good man who spent his life fighting corruption.
    It’s ok, none of yall are corrupt. All the missing funds just dey grow wings and migrate into yalls foreign account.
    People that should be serving minimum of 10yrs in a cell somewhere are chilling and still hold major power. Smh!!!

8. Sultana

November 15, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Please what work did he do to earn 40million dollars??? A retired civil servant? Those are the questions we should ask.

9. Benson Ossai

November 15, 2016 at 2:35 pm

With Obasanjo in government for life, Nigeria and Nigerians would have fared better than what we had experience since he left and what we currently experience.

• nene

November 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

gbam. obj was ready for action when he wanted a third term. he would’ve jailed a lot of people, including atiku.

10. tunmi

November 15, 2016 at 2:43 pm

????? yes spill some more, just keep spilling. I know Baba will soon reply.

11. GY Online NG

November 15, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Hmmmmmm, interesting politics na personal interest..

12. nene

November 15, 2016 at 8:09 pm

please we need to elect a new president if this nonsense in Nigeria continues come 2019. Buhari promised change, but they’re yet to jail anybody, just predicting bad news everyday. An educated and somewhat young person. Maybe Pat Utomi. Thats the best person i can think of now, or Femi Falana.

13. yemite

November 16, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Lol. OBASANJO and ABIOLA International thief thief!!!! Rest in peace. ANIKULAPO KUTI…Fela…Africa fighter ……. Africa legend.