Connect with us


YABATECH female hostel engulfed by fire following Generator Sparks



yabatech-fire3Fire has engulfed ‘Bakassi building,’ one of the female hostels of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH), Lagos.

The fire started in the early hours of Wednesday, and continued for about 2 hours before the arrival of the the Fire Service.

According to TheCable, a student of the institution who was affected by the fire outbreak said: “There was no light when we woke up in the morning and we normally put on the generator by 5am to prepare for classes. A girl whose room was closest to where the generator is located noticed a spark but initially ignored it.”

The student said that a second spark resulted in the fire outbreak, adding that they tried to use the fire extinguisher but it did not successfully put out the fire.

“Fire department came later but because there was no water in the school and they also had no water, so they couldn’t do anything,” the student said.


The situation is under control and the fire has been subdued:


As at the time of filing this report, no information has been released concerning the casualty figure (if any).

Photo Credit: Twitter



  1. yemite

    November 23, 2016 at 10:42 am

    Olohun abawa ba esu wi. Greatest Yabatech!!!

  2. Tee

    November 23, 2016 at 11:32 am

    I don’t understand 2 hours to respond to fire? Is that a regular occurrence? And when they finally turn up no water!! What kind of rubbish is that? That’s gross incompetence. Which way Nigeria.. I pray there was no loss of life

    • Marlvina

      November 23, 2016 at 6:12 pm

      I was actually expecting the “no water” part. I would have been shocked if they came with water. Naija4life!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa

Star Features