News

Amina Mohammed to be Appointed UN Deputy Sec.-Gen. | “She remains our Minister of Environment” – Presidency

BellaNaija.com

amina-mohammed-un-jobThe Presidency has reacted to media reports on the purported appointment of Amina Mohammed, Nigeria’s Minister of Environment as Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, saying “she remains our Minister of Environment.’’

In a tweet on Sunday in Abuja, Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President assured that Nigerians would be fully informed on any development concerning the matter.

“There is a lot of exuberance on the net concerning a UN job for Mrs Amina Mohammed. She remains our Minister of Environment. If there is anything on this that is released officially, we will let Nigerians know. I am pleased to know that she enjoys so much goodwill,’’ Shehu said.

A tweet by Pamela Falk, a CBS News reporter for the United Nations, said that the world body would soon release a statement confirming the appointment of the Nigerian Minister of Environment.

amina-mohammed-un-job2

She is expected to be deputy to Antonio Guterres, who will assume office as UN Secretary-General on January 1, 2017.

Mohammed was appointed minister of Environment by President Muhammadu Buhari in November 2015.

She was also recently appointed by President Buhari to serve in the African Union (AU) Reform Steering Committee as the Nigeria’s Representative.

Mohammed, who hails from Gombe State in North-East, had formerly served as adviser to the outgoing UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon.

1. Nenye Nwobu

December 11, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Wow! And they say we blacks are scared of books and can’t lead, meanwhile Nigeria is taking over by force. I wonder what Nigeria will look like in good governance devoid of corruption and evil in totality, I wish I would live to see that day. For every Nigeria I see, all I notice is strength in adversity. Maybe one day, we will rule the world. God send us a leader #praying#

• A Real Nigerian

December 11, 2016 at 6:22 pm

“I wonder what Nigeria will look like in good governance devoid of corruption and evil in totality, I wish I would live to see that day”
      You can keep on wondering because that day will NEVER come.
      “Maybe one day, we will rule the world.”
      I legit chuckled at this.

• Darius

December 11, 2016 at 6:32 pm

You don’t ever have anything positive to say.

• Marlvina

December 11, 2016 at 7:05 pm

[email protected] are you just realizing? She’s hurting and grieving inside, hence her negative thoughts. It’s about time you just ignore her comments and move on. . .*whistling away ?

• Emmanuel Abatta

December 11, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I wish many Nigerian will be as positive as you. We are blessed but corruption is painting us black

• jam

January 20, 2017 at 6:05 am

No one ever said blacks are scared of books. What people did say is blacks suffer from a herbivore mentality! Where they believe second is a close cousin of First, failing to realise in order to be First, number 1 had to ‘eat’ number 2.

2. EE

December 11, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Gotta let her move on to greater things.

• Tosin

December 12, 2016 at 7:36 pm

100%

3. Okechukwu Ofili

December 12, 2016 at 2:01 am

Take Dalung please….do not take our best minister ='(

• Darius

December 12, 2016 at 6:30 am

Hahahhaha….. lolzzz

• Luqman

December 12, 2016 at 6:59 am

Lmao… they can save us from seeing man’s scout frequently

4. Bijoubel

December 12, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Bellanaija,

In order not to confuse issues, could you please clarify if indeed it is Nigeria’s Amina Mohammed or Kenya’s Amina C. Mohamed Jibril (both of whom have worked extensively with the UN Sec Gen) that’s being nominated to the position. As it is, Kenyans have, for the past 2 weeks or thereabouts, been congratulating their Amina – who is currently the Cabinet Secretary (Minister) for Foreign Affairs of Kenya. Thank you

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 12, 2016 at 10:18 pm

@Bijoubel
      Hello. My comment above was meant for you.

5. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 12, 2016 at 10:17 pm

That is actually very confusing. I have looked it up on the United Nations website itself, and as at the time of making this post, I did not find the updated info. It kept re-routing me to the home page.

Reuters carries the Nigerian Minister of Environment as the new UN Deputy Secretary-General, if that us any consolation, but I believe the appointment would adequately reflected on their website any moment from now

6. ngozi

December 13, 2016 at 10:32 am

AMinah biko give me job ooh. congrats