News

Lady Shares how Negligence by NYSC Officials led to the death of a LAUTECH Graduate

BellaNaija.com

The deceased, Oladepo Ifedolapo

The deceased, Oladepo Ifedolapo

A graduate of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Oladepo Ifedolapo on Tuesday died at General Hospital, Gwazo, Kano, after officials of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) reportedly refused to attend to her until the situation got out of hand.

A Facebook user, Emeka Stefano Ekwe, claimed that they left her untreated because they thought she was pretending to be sick so as to dodge parade training.

lautech-graduate-death

Oyeyode Abimbola Inioluwawho was speaking to her throughout her ordeal has recounted what happened on the sad day. She wrote on Facebook:

You called me five hours to ur death and told me to start coming as the NYSC doctors are not doing anything for you. They thought you were pretending u did not want to go for parade so they did not attend to you. When you started calling people from home they eventually gave you an injection immediately after the injection you called mama again that you notice a lot of rashes on your body that I should speak with the doctor who refuse to talk to me. You called five minutes later and told me your tongue is twisting they sent all your friends out after seeing all the reaction on ur body after giving you the unknown injection. You said we should ask for flight and I called immediately they told me Abuja flight is Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays. I told you to tell anybody in the clinic dat I’m a nurse they should allow me to speak to them a male nurse took phone from you and told me you are having anaphylactic reaction and they will watch you for just one hour and transfer you to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital but alas they did not transfer you until 5hours later when they notice u are restless and calling people at home, boarded a bus going to kano with ur sister oladepo Kemisola Oladepo to come pick you from there. I begged them to take you to a teaching hospital around but they took you to General hospital Gwazo where they have little or no care to render. They took your phone from you claiming you are not resting. From that 5pm I could not talk to you, I took a 16-hour journey to make sure I get to you, but I was called around 3am that you gave up, without any doctor in the hospital to assist you the only nurse on duty told me she tried her best, her best of staying beside you when death was taking you away cos there was nothing to use, from that 3am till I got to kano I was hoping it will only be a mix up somewhere it can’t be you, got to kano and met you at Aminu Kano Mortuary, alas it was you being put in dat cold place. Amokkkkkeeeeeeeeee Mi you couldn’t withstand the agony, NYSC successfully cut your destiny due to negligence. REST ON OUR QUEEN, if you are opportuned to come back to the world pls come as my daughter.ADIEU Oladepo Ifedolapo AMOKE MI

1. i must talk

December 2, 2016 at 11:08 am

Whoever gave the injection will surely die of a syringe!!! and for Naija, i will continually say it is ale (well) with you.

• Ade

December 2, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Nigerian health care system needs an overhaul and it’s not just about the government but the medical practitioners. It’s only in Nigeria that a doctor will give a patient an injection or drugs without telling you the name and what it’s for and I suspect they do that so in cases like this you won’t even know what was given. Also Nigeria health care professionals lack empathy! We Nigerians can be So wicked to each other!

I read the story of how the lady that a container from one of those trucks fell on her and crushed her legs while she was trying to get a bike died. Bella pls do a feature on her . When I saw the pictures I wept ! The container crushed her legs into minced meat and the remaining parts of her legs was still trapped under the container. Can you imagine people around used cutlass to cut off her legs to get her to the hospital since there was no emergency service ! Imagine the pain, the horror

Only for the police to take her to the hospital and the doctors refused to touch her for hours because they were asking who will pay! According to an eye witness this poor lady was begging them for hours not to let her die. She was begging them to pls take her phone and call her family , that they will pay . After hours of not even drip and all that blood loss she passed on!

How can man be so inhuman to a fellow human being! I was shocked no one there could stand for their girl and ask them to commence treatment first. How is someone who was involved in an accident supposed to have money on her to pay for such when she wasn’t planing for a container to fall on her. Any could be involved in an accident and apparently they won’t even give you any medical care until your family arrives to pay! I’m sure many have died in This manner . If the government has failed us do we then fail each other . The government are not Aliens but from this same society that lacks empathy.

Another issue is th trucks , how can a truck go around without the container secured ! That is manslaughter but you same Nigerians will come and say just forgive , it won’t bring her back blah blah blah when they charge the driver and owner for manslaughter the way many did with Ibinabos case. There is so much carelessness because there are no repercusssions

• Nene

December 2, 2016 at 1:51 pm

This is a terrible story. I’ve always said the problem of our country is the people/citizens

• Marlvina

December 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

BN this was from the mother not friend.

2. Rayva

December 2, 2016 at 11:10 am

This is scary…… Goosebumps all over……so she is gone? Just like that?

3. Insi

December 2, 2016 at 11:17 am

The family of this girl should sue NYSC for negligence. I am willing to donate money for the family of this girl to take NYSC to court.
    You get to camp, they treat you anyhow, after you address them as sirs, mas’, after you say sorry, please etc they still think you are disrespectful and lack home training.

May the soul of this beautiful young girl rest in peace.

4. imPissed

December 2, 2016 at 11:26 am

NYSC has long outlived her essence, it should be scrapped… RIP and that’s it??? when will life matter in this country??

5. Jadesola

December 2, 2016 at 11:29 am

Pathetic!
    May her soul rest in peace.

6. Sisi

December 2, 2016 at 11:30 am

Wow, chilling. Negligence in every sense of the word. I am not a medic but a ‘simple’ (relative) allergic reaction from my little understanding could not be treated? God have mercy, RIP

7. imPissed

December 2, 2016 at 11:38 am

NYSC has outlived her essence and should be scrapped… RIP and that’s it?? when will life ever matter in this country??

• Xoxo

December 2, 2016 at 12:53 pm

imPissed Thank you very much. I have said this and will continue to say it. NYSC has outlived its usefulness. What is the point?? This thing has gone on for years with nothing to show. Fresh graduates are whisked away to different parts of Nigeria(unsafe places they have no families or people to look out for them) and then govt will be paying them scraps as allowance. What is the use of the one year of NYSC?? I don’t get it. This rubbish should be scrapped. A corper has died and I haven’t heard the DG of NYSC release a statement or even any top NYSC official say anything. I’m going for NYSC in January but the truth is I’m not looking forward to it. To all corpers serving right now especially batch B stream 1 in camp be careful, the govt does not care about your wellbeing. They force you to serve a country that has done nothing for you. The type of medical personnel, lack of equipment and no regard for lives we have in this country is totally appalling. May God protect us all. RIP Ifedolapo. May God comfort your loved ones.

8. Augustine

December 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm

the negligence in our medical sector is too painful, may her soul rest in peace,
    I was in crisis last two days (I’m a stickler) they didn’t want to treat me cause my mum couldn’t afford the money for blood transfusion,
    lucky it has been done, I feel better now except the incessant painful erection.. things are really tough for me and my mum, we can’t afford to buy my drugs , the pains are unbearable , pls help me God bless .
    you can reach me on 07064625761

9. Miracle

December 2, 2016 at 12:06 pm

And they keep telling us we’re one in this country…why was she not taken seriously? Why the negligence? i’m so angry right now. After going through the hurdles of attending lectures, writing assignments, numerous TDBs, project palava, and huge sch fees, one demon will just surface in human form to take your life…chai Nigeria. Every demon waiting for my time of breakthrough, what are you waiting for? Die by fiiiiiirrrrreeeeeee IJN!!!

10. Big Tee

December 2, 2016 at 12:07 pm

NYSC steady sacrificing young people’s lives…..

11. Aderonke

December 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm

This is very disheartening and appalling, Haba why don’t we just value each other? Why are so mean to one another, why? I cant imagine after all the pain of training a child, someone with no fear of God just takes all that efforts for granted. May the Lord have mercy on all those NYSC officials that this young beautiful soul pleaded with or else…. Kai I am so pained.

Sleep on dear…may the lord comfort your family!

12. Ada_ugo

December 2, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I’m not getting how someone can be “monitored for one hour” when having an anaphylactic reaction – something that kills in minutes. Oh my goodness! May she rest in peace, and may God comfort her own. Amen.

13. NG

December 2, 2016 at 1:54 pm

And she died, helpless, alone, failed by friends9?), system and nation. Yes, how many times have I been branded a troublemaker because I felt appalled at how people will see horribly wrong situations and shy away from speaking up and where necessary creating a ruckus to get needed attention. What were those friends immediately around her doing when she faced such neglect? Did she not walk with someone/persons in that camp as friends? Then again, they may have done their best, just that it was not enough. I don’t know, I feel such horrible pain at this helpless girl’s fate. Not many stories got me to be in tears as this one.

On my knees and with my tears and the pains in my heart, the hearts of her family, friends, loved ones and pained Nigerians, am pleading with you BN, please stay with this story, till we get to the root of what happened to this lady. Please help keep the story in the public domain anyhow you can until those that should answer for the loss of this soul do indeed so answer. Help her family efforts to get justice please.

Inioluwa, you acted as a true friend and a sister should. God bless you and comfort you and Ifedolapo’s family and other friends.

Dear Dolapo, God rest your soul. Your country failed you. We all indeed failed you. Yes, as many of us as have had bitter experiences or heard true stories of the atrocities in our hospitals and failed to lift fingers to get us, at least, started on the journey to recovery, all failed you.

14. Hate Nysc

December 2, 2016 at 2:23 pm

NYSC should be scarped. Its of little or no use, makes people live and work in a city they ordinarily wouldn’t go to not to talk of living there, makes people engage in cheap or free labour just so that the can get the NYSC cert. The camps are even terrible. Thank God that phase of my life is past.

15. bookiewrites

December 2, 2016 at 3:14 pm

An this is all that will happen, bella naija will use to pull traffic and that’s all..
    What happened to investigative journalism?
    Nobody’s going to pay the negligence! No investigation, Nothing!
    And the family too will just be looking and asking God why?
    This isn’t God’s fault this is our fault

16. SAMUEL EDWIN

December 2, 2016 at 3:47 pm

this is just painful, how can doctors give an unknown injection to a student, and getting to the hospital she wasn,t taken serious as well and there was only a nurse on duty, what happen to the doctors? there licences needs to be with held if true they were not in the hospital, and the nysc doctors should say the kind of injection given to the girl, we need justice.

17. Trealuv

December 2, 2016 at 3:49 pm

This is heartbreaking n sadden, how can they administer injection on her without trying to find out what was wrong with her. The NYSC official that administered that injection should be arrested and every officials that was there. The hospital that she was taken to has to be investigated too. Many people has left this wicked world because of others carelessness. After all this young lady went through to get to this level, NYSC n its officials has to cut her off just like that . May God have mercy on them and May her gentle soul rest in peace. amen!!!

18. tunmi

December 2, 2016 at 3:49 pm

I’ll wait for the lawsuit

19. Olunelson

December 2, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Its so Painful Ever! Not All story Got me to be in a mood of Sad as D’s Who am I? to Question God understand it all.Rest in Ever peace Ifedolapo

20. o

December 2, 2016 at 6:56 pm

This is just too sad. The Fulani herdsmen value their cattle more than Nigerian government/system values human life. Just imagine how this lady was sacrificed on the altar of negligence….

I never take any injection or drug without asking for and being told the name. NEVER!!! Ha poor young lady after all the trouble her parents went tru… Those NYSC doctors must be made to face the music

#scrapnysc it does more harm than good!

21. Lala

December 2, 2016 at 7:15 pm

What are you all going on about? I thought many millenials on this blog cursed out Charly boy for criticising the docility of young Nigerians and their failure to come out for peaceful protest against the government
    This is the result, live with it. A people who will not rock the boat do not deserve anyone fighting for them.

Rest in peace to the dead!

22. concerned9a

December 2, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Investigative journalism. and Blogs in the same sentence /#@!%
    9jas lack empathy as @Ada brilliantly portrayed.
    The spirit of Goodwill. Sincerity. .love..Care has been stripped from them.
    Small illness in 9ja injection..all my years in the UK the only time I had an injection was to have my blood tested.
    Some of the most shocking cases of man’s wickedness to another hasn’t seen justice..remember ALUU 4…

23. Ayobami

December 7, 2016 at 11:21 pm

This is unfair and a great pity to us in this country. There is God enyway RIP Dolapo, to her family may God almighty comfort you.