News

The Curious Case Of The Missing “Chapter 10?” Deliberate, Accidental or Genius? #LiterallyWhatsHot

OkadaBooks

toke-makinwa-vanguard-allure3When I first read On Becoming, I was initially filled with pity which quickly turned into rage!

Because, I kept wondering why? Why was Toke going back? Why did Maje stay with Anita? I had so many rage filled questions but the one that made me the most angry was …

Why the heck was Chapter 10 so empty!?

I mean the page was blanker than blank! And whiter than white!

At first, I thought it was a publishing glitch. And I was not alone, as several other people, especially those who downloaded the illegal copy purchased an e-copy felt the exact same way.

In fact some people who purchased the book felt that either the printers had made an error or in the case of OkadaBooks, the wrong digital file was uploaded.

chapter-10

But if my assumptions are right, Toke left Chapter ten, dubbed The Other Woman, empty because she had nothing to say to her or considered her not worthy of wasting words on. Shade?

Perhaps, she is right, as I’ve always been an advocate of dealing with infidelity only with the person you are involved with and not the other party.

But on second thoughts and second reading (I’ve read this book 3 times now if I may add), my head was filled with several things Toke could have written in Chapter 10 and several questions she could have posed to the Other Woman:

1. Like she could have educated her on how, in shameless love triangles, the one who gets chosen isn’t the winner, but an enabler that allowed herself to be used as a pawn in the wicked, heartless game of infidelity.

2. She could have asked her if she really thought, that in her twisted relationship with Maje with its beginnings shrouded in deceit and lies, whether he would not cheat on her like he has done all through his life, if accounts in On Becoming, are proven to be nothing but the truth.

3. She could have also asked her to search herself and find out what kind of woman she considered herself to be, if she could stand and watch a married man treat another woman like crap on her account, and then disgrace her in the most humiliating way.

So what do you think?

Do you think Toke Makinwa was right for leaving Chapter 10 so empty? Do you think she should have actually written something? or Would you rather that all the Chapters were left blank? Let us know your honest thoughts below. And of course you can always download On Becoming via the OkadaBooks free app.

***

IMG-20160205-WA0005Nimide Ogbeun is a book addict lover, an unrepentant coke addict and a hopeless romantic. When she’s not trying to expand her shoe closet or dreaming up the perfect getaway, she works as the Assistant Editor of StyleVitae.
See her crazy pictures on Instagram
Email her at [email protected]

1. Rayva

December 16, 2016 at 7:37 am

Leaving chapter 10 empty was a real genius move as far as am concerned………epic shade

• Ify

December 16, 2016 at 7:51 am

Exactly. Genius move. I’m beginning to love Toke. I didn’t even realize chapter ten was empty till I finished reading and went back to check the table of contents. I can’t wait to read it again, it’s a very entertaining book.

• Shader

December 16, 2016 at 2:14 pm

There was nothing genius or shadey about the empty chapter since she already talked about Anita non stop in other chapters. Maybe she left it empty because she herself does not know who the other woman was…was it her or Anita?

To the writer, both women got played by Maje period!

• Gech

December 16, 2016 at 6:18 pm

God bless you.

• DEBBIE

December 17, 2016 at 12:04 pm

dear SHADER,
      YOU REALLY THINK MAJE PLAYED BOTH WOMEN,I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU THAT YOU STILL HAVE THAT MENTALITY,SOME MEN AND WOMEN THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN LOVED ARE INCAPABLE OF LOVING THEMSELVES,ANYTHING OR ANYBODY,WHAT IF TOKE AND ANITA EVENTUALLY FIND LOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE AND HAVE A HAPPY ENDING,SEE THE TWISTED LOVE TRIANGLE THAT MAJE GOT HIMSELF AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOUR INNOCENT OFFSPRING,IS IT NOT CLEAR THAT MAJE IS CONFUSED ?,HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME AND A VERY SAD PERSON WITH PERSONAL ISSUES- MEN MEN MEN PLS HEAR THIS LOUD AND CLEAR,GONE ARE THE DAYS WHEN ALL YOU BRAG ABOUT IS HOW YOU SLEPT WITH DIFFERENT WOMEN INORDER TO GET BACK AT YOUR PARTNER FOR ONE REASON OR THE OTHER,WE DONT REALLY CARE ANYMORE,MOST WOMEN THESE DAYS ARE DRIVEN BY THE PASSION TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND THEY ARE NUMB TO MOST INFIDELITY TANTRUMS THAT MEN THROW- I CALL IT TANTRUMS BECAUSE MOST OF IT IS SENSELESS AND UNREASONABLE,MOST WOMEN THINK BEFORE PULLING OFF BUT MEN SLEEP WITH THEIR HOUSEHELPS JUST TO GET BACK AT THEIR WIVES FOR NOT HAVING FRESH SOUP AT HOME,A NURSING WORKING MOTHER COMBINING WORK AND MAYBE ONLINE COURSES TO MAKE HERSELF BETTER FOR THE FUTURE AND PROBABLY YOUR KIDS.

IF MAJE IS WHAT HE IS PORTRAYED AS THEN I FEEL SORRY FOR HIM COS HE WILL END UP A VERY SAD PERSON.
      TO TOKE AND ANITA “‘ IT IS BETTER TO HAVE LOVE D AND LOST THAN NOT TO HAVE LOVED AT ALL”

PLS FOLLOW OUR INSTAGRAM PAGE @RISEABOVEOPPRESSION

• Hawt Talk With Tosan

December 17, 2016 at 6:36 pm

You have to see this On Becoming review. https://youtu.be/361BPFfXdIo

2. Puzzles

December 16, 2016 at 7:47 am

I admit I was more curious about this chapter. Heck, people who had the illegal copy went to buy the original thinking it would be there.

Now that i think of it, it was smart of her to leave that chapter blank. Cool marketing technique and best of her healing.

The problem was never Anita. It was Toke and Maje. Anita could have easily been Bimbo, Chizoba or Amina.

3. el

December 16, 2016 at 8:02 am

pls pls pls.ENOF already,ahn ahn wat is dis sef?evryday toke dis toke dat.BN BN ,how many times did I call u?it haf do pls,we get d points.TOKE is a genius/strooonngg woman,MAJE is a beast,ANITA is d husband snatcher at least dese are wat u want us to blif. oya it haf do we blif it

• Onyii

December 16, 2016 at 8:17 am

Oh please, we’re talking about a book

• Corolla

December 16, 2016 at 12:11 pm

But in all of this, aren’t you the block head? You’ve had enough of Toke, yet your brain cells still touched and you opened a post that had to do with her book. That my dear, is stupidity.

• FinchleysFinest

December 16, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Hater lol.. oya take paracetamol…

4. Ese

December 16, 2016 at 8:33 am

Why do people always blame the other woman? It was the guy that was married for crying out loud. Yes, no one needs to tell her what she did was wrong, she knew what she was doing but really though…

5. beauty

December 16, 2016 at 8:36 am

What would she have written? Was the woman her friend? Did she know her personally? Of course leaving the page empty was the right thing to do!

6. Cheechee

December 16, 2016 at 8:51 am

Leaving it empty was epic..When I heard itnwas blank and then titled the other woman I knew it had to be on purpose.How many people have you heard did something of that sort?

7. Well

December 16, 2016 at 8:59 am

1. She could have dedicated one blank page to the chapter, not 6…

2. It should have been “all the other women”. Anita wasn’t the 1st. As a matter of fact, she discovered that she herself was the other woman 2 months into meeting Maje

3. You have already dished all the gist about these women in other parts of the book. Lol. What was left to talk about? Their hair color?

• Gech

December 16, 2016 at 6:20 pm

GBAM!

• Letoya

December 29, 2016 at 11:26 am

Hie. In my opinion Anita was the only other woman because she was the only other woman because make was emotionally attached to her despite having toke and even sleeping around with other women. Anita was the one he has more feelings for even his dealings with other women which I would assume didn’t last long after sleeping with them unlike of Anita’s case which he developed a full blown emotional and physical relationship with.

8. Yoly

December 16, 2016 at 9:21 am

Loool!!! Toke very smart babe!!! See EPIC shade and great marketing move too!!

9. Chapter 10 wasn't blank

December 16, 2016 at 10:41 am

My chapter 10 wasn’t blank; it had a quote from Toke and that was it.

Did y’all have a quote in yours or was it a white page?

10. Me

December 16, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I hope all this will not backfire later, Maje choose Anita and not Toke – What is the crime in that, he is just not into you.

11. Thatgidigirl

December 16, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Blank chapter or not, I really wish Toke was over Maje but she isn’t….its sad. I admire her a lot, but then the book…..

12. Tam

December 16, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Toke leaving chapter 10 blank was really petty , very silly in fact she is such child, what she did not know is she put respek on Anita`s name , i blame Toke oh and do not pity her at all for her man troubles, i do feel sorry for her about her parents though , she knew he was a serial cheat yet she shook head come dey become. ..lol

But Toke here`s the bright side you are making money from Maje ishh sooo can we sleep now

• MissMnady

July 14, 2017 at 2:47 pm

you are an idiot

13. Oooooooo

December 16, 2016 at 3:30 pm

I hope Toke really moves on cause this victim mentality must be so exhausting. She saw all the signs though and still chose to stay. Maje kept pushing her away with words and actions, but she still stayed. And now she’s written a whole book about him and his lover. Obsession and not love maybe?

14. [email protected]

December 16, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Toke. Thank God for u. You were abused in relationship, wrote a book about it, making money from it, have a good job, looking good and living life. You made lemonade with the lemons life gave you. I am impressed!!!!!! I have alot of lemons right now and i am making lemonade.

• DEBBIE

December 17, 2016 at 12:07 pm

@MUMMY YOMMA,SAME HERE ,I HAVE BEEN STONED WITH LEMONS BUT LATELY I AM MAKING LEMONADE AND WHO KNOWS THE LEMONADE MIGHT TURN TO DON PERIGNON

15. nunulicious

December 17, 2016 at 7:10 am

Leaving it blank was symbolic…
    Let the reader make up their mind about the other woman….
    Let the reader wonder what she thinks and feels about Anita (note that Toke’s tone about Anita was factual not emotive in the entire book).
    Let Anita and all the other women continue to wonder what Toke feels about them.

Or maybe Toke’s publisher advised her to give herself brain and scrap what she really wrote in that chapter because it would be bad for business.

I’m still waiting on a post that deals with other issues in the book asides Maje.
    1. The endorsement deal that she lost, why was toke the one who was punished for maje’s indiscretion? remember tiwa savage and almost loosing pepsi endorsement when her own story broke…

2. Do adults in our culture now realise that when kids go through a traumatic loss, there needs to be communication about loss, about death, about fear, about uncertainty? Culturally, we are not very communicative about emotions…

3. Where does Toke get that resilience and thick skin from that makes her take all this bashing and still keep going?

4. so many other thoughts but my hand dey pain me.

16. MissMnady

July 14, 2017 at 2:54 pm

It is such a shame to read through some of these comments. So what she left a blank chapter? is she not allowed to be numb? to be speechless in the pain that she is feeling or was feeling? She is sharing what all this did to her and if you are a reader at all you will be able to read through those blank pages. What the other woman did is what she did, and in those pages she knows she cant take it back because it is done! Toke dear, keep praying like the woman your father raised you to be, He might have left too soon but those years of morning devosions and prayer were a foundation of the woman you are meant to be NOW. We can say how she should have left and not stayed, how she could have written so much evil of the other woman, but the best medicine to healing is forgiving yourself first and then the one who hurt you. Keep praying, keep working keep thriving!