Scoop

This Testimony from Winners Chapel Sparks Outrage on Twitter NG

BellaNaija.com

The celebration night of the 2016 Shiloh, an annual programme of Living Faith church Worldwide a.k.a Winners Chapel took place last night, and as is the custom, testimonies were shared.

The theme of this year’s edition is “My Case is Different”.

As the testimonies were being posted on the Church’s Twitter account, one of them caught the attention of Twitter users, some of who found it to be “misogynistic, debasing, and discriminatory.”

Here’s the Tweet:

winners-chapel-tweet

Apart from those who condemned the Tweet, others also advised that the Tweet be taken down, saying it is an “insult on God”; another group said that the testimony is the change in gender, and would still be celebrated even if it was the other way round.

Here are the replies:

winners-chapel-tweet2 winners-chapel-tweet3 winners-chapel-tweet4 winners-chapel-tweet5

The Church’s Twitter handle also replied the Tweet with a link to a Bible passage – Matthew 21:22:

winners-chapel-tweet6

The passage read: And whatever you ask for in prayer, believing, you will receive.” (Amplified Bible).

1. Madman

December 10, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Tragic.

• Withheld

December 10, 2016 at 10:19 pm

What’s tragic is the person that did the scans probably wasn’t qualified in the first place, likely having been trained at some quack university somewhere in this country. Not to knock the entire medical profession that were trained here, but I’ve heard so many horror stories about quack medical staff in this country I wouldn’t be surprised if the sonographer wasn’t qualified to do the job hence the wrong readings. That tweet is all kinds of wrong however you try to spin it. We all know it’s a show of manhood when you have twin boys in Africa.

• ARHUEDOH

December 11, 2016 at 4:53 am

You speak as if you haven’t heard American doctors and experts in their fields declaring certain medical recoveries as miracles!!! Please wake up and admit your blatant stupidity

• Eagleeye

December 11, 2016 at 1:22 pm

That was exactly my thought.
      Thank you.

• Humphrey

December 11, 2016 at 2:50 pm

@ARHUEDOH – The problem with being dead is you don’t know you are dead, it is painful only for others, this is the same when you are STUPID, you don’t know you are stupid, it is painful only for others. The sonograms have been read as girls instead of boys the whole time. Please explain the miracle here? A misread sonogram does not a miracle make. It would be different if they were an infertile couple who then gave birth to twins but these babies were there the whole time. Now define stupid, STUPID!

2. Darius

December 10, 2016 at 3:03 pm

If the Living Faith Church believes having male children is a miracle, I wonder what their definition of miracle is.

• Kenny

December 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm

You all can just twist things, the testifier asked God for something he wanted at the time and God gave him not withstanding the medical report given ealier. So what is wrong in asking believing and getting it from God….he never said female children aren’t from God simple!!!

• abi

December 11, 2016 at 3:41 pm

OMG, people are getting this completely wrong. The couple desired to have twin boys as they have a little girl. When they went for the scan , the scan showed a boy and a girl, so they prayed, asking God to give them their hearts desire hence the change in the sex of the girl twin into a boy. THAT is the miracle.

3. Nuo

December 10, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I hate twitter.

4. Vic

December 10, 2016 at 3:14 pm

I see nothing wrong who wouldn’t want to have male and female kids in this life. This man got wanted boys and got it. It’s according to your faith mehn

5. Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 3:16 pm

So what’s the issue here that it’s raising controversy? Are we in the minds of the couple to understand what really went on during the pregnancy? Assuming this woman had a dream and it was revealed she was pregnant with twin boys and they both held on to God trusting for that revelation to become a reality despite the scan results by the doctors? Afterall scans are not 100% accurate. So what’s all the fuss about? Why are people reading a different meaning to their testimony? We shouldn’t put words in their mouth. I don’t think it has anything to do with gender discrimination.

• DayoI

December 10, 2016 at 3:26 pm

As much as it’d be nice for it to be as innocent as you make it sound, I very much doubt that to be the case.

We all know that the girl child is less valued by some in the society. I’ve heard some women say they are happier to have male children as their first to prove something to relatives etc. (what that is, I don’t know)

I’m trying to think that maybe the wording of the tweet was wrong but honestly, cannot think of a way to make it sound less sexist.

• Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 3:50 pm

@DayolWell this is your assumption and that’s mine as well, we really can’t tell what really happened and why they gave the testimony or probably the words were stated wrongly as you mentioned. We dunno! Bottom line, it’s THEIR testimony. God understands better. Or maybe it was not really their scan result. There was a mistake and the wrong scan was handed over to them. Lol
      We can’t just tell really. So people shldn’t be so fast to conclude.

• Anon

December 10, 2016 at 3:58 pm

When you’re not sure if an opinion is wrong, wait for Marlvina to agree with the agree, then you’ll be sure that it’s wrong

• A

December 10, 2016 at 4:03 pm

They probably already have girls and were wishing for a boy. So if that is what they prayed for and God gave them,that shouldn’t be an issue for anyone. The way things are worded sometimes convey wrong meanings and issues where there shouldn’t be.

• Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

@Anon. . .P.S I’m not seeking for your validation. If you don’t agree with my opinions just pass by. That’s not too difficult is it? People just creating unnecessary headache for themselves. Mshewww!

• oma

December 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I wanted girl first and I got want I ask God for and twin boys afterwards, my hubby don’t care if it’s all girls

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Lord. ?

• Prince Charming

December 10, 2016 at 3:45 pm

It has everything to do with gender discrimination. If the medical report had said she would have complication during delivery, and she gave birth to her babies without any complication, that would’ve been a miracle. This is so not a miracle.

• Nahum

December 10, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Marlvina just hush up. Getting pregnant against all odds is a miracle, having boys instead of girls, no matter how you try and explain it, is NOT a miracle, rather it’s the doctor making a mistake during the scan I.e. Human error. So please just shut up now and spare us your mind numbing explanations.

6. Amaa

December 10, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Scans are not 100% accurate. Every doctor in the world will tell you that. Please no one should call this a miracle . Jesus clearly defined miracles and showed us with examples what a miracle is .No wonder people fight for male children and dubious people are opening baby factories and selling male children. Rubbish if I talk now they say Touch not my anointed blah blah. Jesus debated the Pharisee s and schooled them with intellectual arguments and then some one will tell me not question daddy GO ?

7. hadiza

December 10, 2016 at 3:23 pm

I have surely lost interest in these churches. what sort of misogynistic testimony is that?? trying to Tell us that the girl child is worthless abi?? congratulations on having two of the superior gender. sick society.

8. A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I think the couple are giving a testimony way too soon. Wait a few years and the scan might just be accurate in the end. I mean, Caitlyn was born male after all.

• Author Unknown

December 10, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Lmao. Were (wayray)

9. slice

December 10, 2016 at 3:27 pm

The real issue here is it was not a miracle. The scan was done improperly. The end. They were always boys

10. Xoxo

December 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Lol.. I honestly don’t think they were in any way trying to say male children are better than female children. Maybe the couple just prayed for the fruit of the womb, went for a scan, saw they were having girls and by the time it was time for the babies to come out they were boys instead. I don’t really think it has anything to do with gender prefrence. Trust me when you’ve been waiting on the Lord for the fruit of the womb for years, majority don’t have time to be picky. Your prayer is mainly God bless me with children. I think the testimony is mainly saying when man/science reveals one thing God does what he wants because his ways are not our ways. So the testimony is not thanking God for male children instead of female children,I think its just saying God can turn things around anyway he wishes. Reminds me of my aunt that has 4 boys. When the last child was in her womb the scan showed she will be having a girl, she was so excited, at the end of the day it was a boy that popped out. And now God has blessed her with two granddaughters.. So she sort of has her “mini me” in a way now. Lol.

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:37 pm

“I honestly don’t think they were in any way trying to say male children are better than female children.”
      That is what they are saying, and in more ways than one.
      Don’t defend crap.

• Xoxo

December 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

@a real Nigerian you have your opinion and others have theirs. You don’t have to jump under every comment that isn’t in line with yours and insult others. We can’t all think alike. If you think I’m defending crap well good for you. My comment is just MY opinion.

11. mohammad

December 10, 2016 at 3:34 pm

You religious folk keep reaching. “The change in gender is the miracle” kwa? I didn’t hear anyone glorifying any gods for Caitlyn Jenner’s change in gender. And for people who are so quick to ascribe the successes of medical procedures to a god, the hypocrisy is staggering.

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I wonder why your comments are always censored and arriving late.

• pearl

December 10, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Why do u talk without thinking. U at hat sere replying everybody. Dry needed a specific gender saw another in d scan and finally set still got what day wanted. Okay since u are angry @ dear joy for a male child wen u marry him birth to all females now. Body hat dey bite U ontop winners chapel. Bishop doesn’t need ur money and never will. Allow us who are foolish to keep giving.

• Mohammad

December 10, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Me sef been dey wonder am. Dis bella Naija mata don taya me.

12. #proudnigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Nawa everything is now gender this and gender that I know people who give testimonies for girl children . The testimony is based on what the couple wants and God answered them The devil is really manipulating minds of people using this feminism “something” sigh nawa

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Ah yes. The typical insecure Nigerian beta male who feels threatened by feminism.

• Prince Charming

December 10, 2016 at 3:47 pm

@A Real Nigerian, #ProudNigerian is a lady as a matter of fact.

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Oh. Even more tragic.

• Bimbo

December 11, 2016 at 1:46 am

Pls you christians should help us beg God to kill satan ? Or at least forgive him !

• Nenye Nwobu

December 11, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Please just close your mouth if you don’t have anything to say.

13. Kaylah

December 10, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Its sad how people choose to be popular at the expense of people’s feeling. Do u know the full story of course No. They had a first child however before e that they have been believing God for twins even wrote the names of the kids trusting God to be boys. I am tired of this new generation joor. Have full understanding before u start an argument.

• Anon

December 10, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I wait for the day that nigerians are praying for the fruit of the womb to be only girls. HOW are you guys pretending like you don’t know that it’s better for you in Nigeria to have only one male child than two female children. Have three daughters in a row in Nigeria and see. Even Kobe Bryant that just had his third daughter is getting trolled by African Americans for not shooting “strong” sperm. But yeah, Nigerians also pretend like millions of girls in. Nigeria are denied education, a clitoris, free movement and inheritance BECAUSE they are girls.

• Oluwadunsin

December 10, 2016 at 6:21 pm

I disagree with your comment. We are only three girls In my home and there’s no fuss. Besides, the fact that you have stated what you feel is the obvious doesn’t make it right. Females of today have proven to be as capable as the males, so I see no reason to appreciate a male child more than a female child.

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 6:47 pm

I think you need to read Anon’s comment again.

• Darius

December 10, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Is this the full story? You don’t know the full story either.

14. hill

December 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

There is nothing wrong in this testimony,there may be a family dynamic the couple is facing especially the woman , that could invalidate her home if she doesn’t have male heirs.You have to really witness some life and death situation s because of sex of a baby to make you really wonder.It is what thy wanted and God gave it to them,Now to go more spiritual, sometimes in the realm if the spirit different things occur that will beat your imagination.Children stars could be taken , changed .Sometimes a particular spirit can be introduced as a form of “possession” or “liberation”that changes the sex of a child from girls to boys and vice versa.Sometime the choice of particular sect in the realm of the spirit could be they want to give a child that could be seen as blessing but is a curse.God is not “politically correct” and cant be predicated.If you privileged to see into that realm ,some things will make sense and sometimes wouldnt. Stay blessed and pregnant women should be prayerful always.

• Bimbo

December 11, 2016 at 1:49 am

It’s weird how people will be saying nonsense like it totally makes sense ! In the spirit realm , lol.

15. o

December 10, 2016 at 4:08 pm

If that was what they prayed, believed God for and held on to, then it is a miracle. Infact everything is a miracle if you see the God factor in it!

16. Rose

December 10, 2016 at 4:12 pm

What wrong with people? Any excuse to bash God/Christianity. Everyone wants to make a name for themselves on social media. **sigh**

17. hadiza

December 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Anon, tell them. They love to turn a blind eye to gender discrimination.In Igbo land, girls are refused inheritance for having a vagina. What is that?? equality abi?? Africa is a sick society that exalts men to be what they are not and put females down. Women don’t have brains to manage lands or what?? or women don’t have a right to aim for financial success like men do?? I can’t wait to leave this continent.

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 4:33 pm

” I can’t wait to leave this continent.”
      Hahaha hahaha haha ?

• sadisa

December 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm

EEyah, poor you. How many times they turn down your visa request? Poor poor thing!!

18. Kaylah

December 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

@ darius the couple have always twins (boys) and they got a girl as first child. And the second pregnancy was confirmed they will be having twins so they only took that opportunity to provoke the hand of God. What is wrong in praying for boys. Wonders shall not end all in the name of exposure

19. geeee

December 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Pls,pls,pls..Their testimony went like this, that they were believing God for Children after marriage and went to shiloh,they were asked to buy clothes for children and write down the names they would give them,the couple bought clothes for twin boys first and wrote down their names as ISAAC n ISREAL. After that, they concieved and bore a girl and they still believed that they will have their twin boys, then the 2nd pregnancy came and the scan comfirmed them twins but a boy and a girl but they said a giirl can neither be called ISAAC nor ISREAL,they kept their belief and Miraculously the lady gave birth to 2 boys, their ISAAC n ISREAL. it is their MIRACLE, whether u like it or not.

• Rose

December 10, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Geeee- Bravo to you for telling the full story! People like to open their mouth without knowing full facts.

20. tina

December 10, 2016 at 5:02 pm

oh Nigerians oh Nigerians!! how I weep for u all. whats with the critic. no one really knows the full story. probably they may have been praying for a boy and then the dr told them they were having a girl of course they may have be happy whichever gender it was and then miraculously the woman gives birth to the boys shes been praying for. isn’t that a miracle.

21. Mizzie

December 10, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Y r pple so quick to lash out on things deh av no idea? Dis couple neva said d scan showed deh were avng 2 girls, according to what d man said, d scan showed deh were avng 1 boy and 1 girl.and he believed he wanted 2 boys n already he hs a daughter. What’s d extra ordinary thing ere? So many pple go for scan n see a particular set n wen d woman delivers off d baby, it’s anoda set dt she gvs birth to. I was dere at d service n I heard it loud and clear. Verify properly before lashing out pple. Dts aw pple fail exam

22. Esther

December 10, 2016 at 5:57 pm

The Bible passage, “and whatsoever you ask in my name, if you believe you will receive it” clearly answers and should clear all your doubts why the couple came out to testify. Lobatan!

23. Iya ibeji

December 10, 2016 at 6:10 pm

We just like to look for issues where there are none. I’m female, have twin girls whom I love dearly but I want a boy next. If I get pregnant and find out its another girl, I will be disappointed for a while but I’m gonna love that girl with all my being when she comes out. We all have a right to tell God what we want and he will grant us according to what he thinks is best for us.

24. Vivian

December 10, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Let me indulge all of you! It is really wisdom to find out the root cause of a matter before owning your mouth to talk all because you have internet access.
    The couple prayed for twins (boys). They already chose names for the twins. When the first child came, it was ga girl; well according to them contrary to what they were believing God for. When the second pregnancy came; scan confirmed it to be twins but one boy , one girl. The man refused saying a girl doesn’t answer the name issac or Isiah. He took the scan result and continued praying. On the day of delivery, two boys came just as they prayed! Mark 11:23-24 proved! Don’t ask me; get a bible.
    So Nigerians, what don’t you guys understand in the above paraphrased story?
    Men; get wisdom, in the process , also get understanding!

• Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Don’t mind them. People perish for lack of knowledge. They’re only here to run their filthy mouths on people’s comments without getting a full understanding; saying it’s gender discrimination. Just imagine? Nonsense!

• A Real Nigerian

December 10, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Read what you wrote again and tell me it makes sense.
      Besides, the fact that Marlvina agrees with you automatically means you said something stupid. ?

• Nuo

December 10, 2016 at 7:33 pm

@A real Nigerian. Clap for yourself. This your comment is very insensitive. You must be feeling like the greatest intellectual in Nigeria. Shior!

• Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 8:15 pm

@A Real Nigerian the instigator! You feel you make sense or you are relevant in this blog? NO! you only display your stupidity and shallow mindset. You feel jumping on everyone’s comment makes you seem sensible or accepted? You’re just one sick pathetic fellow who needs immediate help. Smh! From your comments it’s obvious how dark your heart is and how you’re bleeding from the hurt you’ve been through in life. Take heart. Life does not end on these blogs! You can’t seek help here. Sorry!

25. glow

December 10, 2016 at 6:35 pm

The problem with this “testimony” is that; scans are not 100% accurate in telling the sex of the unborn child. My former hospital even have the policy of not disclosing the sex of a foetus to avoid confusions and litigations should d baby come out as a different sex.

26. nene

December 10, 2016 at 7:11 pm

what’s all the fuss about? we are not the parents of the children so our opinions don’t matter. i think it’s a miracle for the family, maybe not for the rest of twitterville.

27. Moniker

December 10, 2016 at 7:28 pm

With all the issues in Nigeria, this is the one that piqued our interest. They have testified with or without our consent. No one should force their principles on others. They got what they wanted. So let’s whine all we can. This is Africa. And we do things based on how well we understand.

28. kaylah

December 10, 2016 at 8:02 pm

when its time to argue for valid issues affecting youths and our future, they will keep quiet. but when its something that has little or no meaning they rant up and down. we have issue of those two or three corpers that died. why have they not made campaign on while NYSC should be scrapped. argueing over rubbish all in the name of exposure.

29. Papacy

December 10, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I had a lady who was pregnant with triplets. Scan showed two of the foetuses to be girls. The last wasn’t do clear, she believed it would be s boy and didn’t come for a repeat as was suggested. At delivery she had 3 girls…the dissapointnent on her face was quite glaring…I do understand all the fuss about the “sexist” nature of this testimony.

• Manny

December 11, 2016 at 6:53 am

What’s wrong with her hoping for a boy out of three babies? How is it sexist?

30. molarah

December 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I don’t think the problem is with what the parents wanted or what the church tweeted (or posted online). As many have rightly noted, foetal scans are not 100% accurate, and it’s not even a Nigerian hospital problem: cases abound of multiple births going undetected and gender mix-up during scans. The problem is really with what passes for testimonies these days in churches.

I think every Nigerian Christian has heard one testimony or the other at church that has made them go, “Seriously?” Let’s not go into the church congregations that have applauded testimonies of people celebrating the death of their enemies, or being awarded government contracts they were not qualified to handle, or their success in examinations they did not prepare for. It’s a pointer to the value system of the leadership and membership of the church, which have clearly not been regenerated during the salvation process. Any ‘testimony’, no matter how innocent in construction, that strengthens unhealthy mindsets, cultural norms and value systems should be checked. Both boys and girls are gifts from God: if the twins had turned out to be girls at the end would it be really said that God had failed them? The real testimony here is that the woman went in the labour room and came out with her life and those of her babies intact, and the minister overseeing that testimony service should have gently directed the focus to the congregation to this important fact. The names pre-selected by the parents would have been of no consequence at the end if the delivery outcome had been tragic, and this should be the thanking point: that God showed delivery mercies, not that we demanded boys of God and He bowed to our demands. We Christians should not feel the pressure to always rise to defense of practices in the church that are clearly wrong.

31. momma

December 11, 2016 at 7:14 pm

SMH @ the presumptuousness of A Proud Nigerian, Anon, hadiza et al. Unless you know the couple, your assumptions are mere guesses and it’s foolish to conclude categorically on something you cannot verify. To each his own, we all have our preferences when it comes to the sex of each of our children and not always for the reasons others may assume. When God gives us what we pray for we are grateful. I was in the couple’s shoes when I was pregnant with twins. Unlike them, when one of my OB’s told me (without asking if I wanted to know) they were boys, I burst into tears because that was exactly what I prayed to God against – my worst nightmare looking like it was about to come true (thanks to all the extremely mischievous twin boys I knew growing up). I had asked God for boy-girl twins and hoped that at the very worst they would be girl-girl. The miracle in my case was that when I called my husband to cry and lament, he confidently told me that the doctor must be wrong because God had told him we were going to have boy-girl twins and that I shouldn’t worry. I eventually had a girl and a boy but the bottom line is different strokes for different folks and for different reasons. And such reasons may not have anything to do with one gender being of more/less value than another. Perhaps your insistence on the value of one sex over another as the sole reason for this couple’s thanksgiving stems from the backwardness in your own homes, in which case you have our sympathies. It is however, small-minded to view the experiences of every other Nigerian through your own little bubble or presume to speak for this couple (or any other Nigerian) without qualification.