News

“I’d thought being Miss Nigeria was the best thing that could happen to me” – Linda Ikeji

BellaNaija.com

Linda IkejiCelebrity blogger Linda Ikeji has shared what she called ‘Saturday Morning Motivation’. She disclosed how she lost out at the 2003 Miss Nigeria Pageantry, even when she thought she was the favourite to be crowned.

She spoke of how disappointments can sometimes be blessings, adding that surely she wouldn’t have been where she is today if she had won the competition.

Read below:

These are photos of me at a beach party organized for contestants of the 2003 Miss Nigeria pageant. I bet some of you didn’t know I once contested? I told y’all I was a hustler back in the day..lol. Anyway, I desperately wanted to win the pageant because I believed I could use the platform to achieve my other dreams. I imagined all the possibilities, starting an NGO, having a TV show, rubbing shoulders with important people etc. I was a little famous back then as a model and when word got out that I was contesting, many of the soft sell magazines reported it.

About a week before the pageant, I was so sure I would win it that I started making plans for life after being crowned Miss Nigeria 2003. Most of the models and designers in Nigeria were behind me, even the press, so what could go wrong? Plus I’d organized the Miss Unilag pageant for 3 consecutive years so I knew what it took to win a pageant..or so I thought!

And then the day of the pageant came. After all the 26 contestants were introduced on stage in different costumes, it was time for the Top 10. We were all asked to go backstage so they could call out the 10 girls who had advanced to the next stage. I remember standing backstage with a huge smile on my face waiting for my number to be called. It was never called.

At first I thought it was a prank, that the organisers were just playing with me. That they would say a mistake was made and my number was omitted, and ask me to come join the other girls on stage. Then I heard the MC say ‘ladies and gentlemen, these are your Top 10 contestants’. Then I saw all the other contestants who didn’t make it taking off their jewelries and costumes. Some started crying, others were hugging each other but I didn’t move. I couldn’t believe it. Even if I didn’t win the pageant, but not to even make Top 10? I was just standing there, unable to move…until a male model friend of mine came to hug me and told me ‘all will be well’.

As I slowly started removing my costume, I remember thinking it was the end of everything I had planned for my future. I felt like a failure for weeks following the pageant. I was mostly in a daze, wondering what to do next. I’d thought being Miss Nigeria was the best thing that could happen to me. And that dream was gone, and with it, all the great things I could have done or become.

But you see people, I forgot for one moment, that there was God. If only I knew that He had better plans for my future. Because you see, if I had won that pageant in 2003, I never would have – 3 years later – thought of starting a gossip blog. I probably would have thought it was beneath me as a former queen. My life would have taken a different turn…but that wasn’t God’s plans for me. So that disappointment was a huge blessing!

You see, sometimes, some of the most amazing blessings happen when things don’t turn out the way we hoped it would. We think it’s the end when it’s just a bend leading us through the right path, to where we are really meant to be. You have to trust that God knows what He’s doing in your life. Sometimes, He will not give you what you desperately want because He has planned something way better for you.

So when disappointments happen in your life, don’t worry too much about it. Just trust God, stay patient and trust your journey.

All the best!
Linda

1. Anon

December 10, 2016 at 1:03 pm

This is progress.

Surulere!

“rubbing shoulders with important people” More like “rub important people up the wrong way.”

2. Ms Dee

December 10, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Okay, Linda.

• Cee

December 10, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Lol

3. Darius

December 10, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Love her or hate her, Linda is an inspiration.

• Ms Dee

December 10, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Okay, Darius.

• pappy

December 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Confam talk o yeah she is

4. Flexe

December 10, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Linda!!! Always know that for every disappointment, God is working out the answer.

5. Blackbeauty

December 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm

But sometimes the wait is HARD. VERY HARD!!!

• kiki

December 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm

True!and during the ‘wait’ we get tempted to try out other ‘faster’ ways/means.I guess perserverance does really matter.but not everyone can wait!

• Marlvina

December 10, 2016 at 2:52 pm

And sometimes that wait might just be a test. To see our character during that trial. Some give up and end up totally messed up, some are patient, just hopeful for brighter days ahead. We all face one challenge or the other but it’s how we go through these challenges that matter at the end. Sometimes we need these hard experiences in life in other to learn and attain growth; because the pain we go through surely refines us. I think every phase in life we find ourselves, we should develop that act of being grateful. It could have been worse.

6. Pat

December 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm

The integrity of a person is questionabe with this kind of statement “….rubbing shoulders with important people etc”.

• slice

December 10, 2016 at 3:30 pm

There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s called networking. Connections matter

7. Deb

December 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

This is very inspirational as I’m going through that right now& it looks like the situation doesn’t match GOD’s promise. But in still hopeful.

8. Xoxo

December 10, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Linda Ikeji I respect your hustle and all, and I’m sure you’re an inspiration to a lot of people worldwide but please, I don’t think linking God and you starting a gossip blog is alright. But I’m glad he has blessed the work of your hands and continues to do so. Gossip ruins lives, majority endulge in it, including me but it doesn’t mean God is okay with it. Let’s not make that mistake of thinking so. Keep soaring higher. I love your “can do”, “never give up” attitude. Its infectious.

• nene

December 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm

by now, you should know nigerians call God when things are good, and satan when things are bad.

• Passerby

December 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Xoxo saw this after I commented….my sentiments exactly. Human beings are interesting. Anything that favors their own interest is automatically attributed to God….just like that.

9. Kaylah

December 10, 2016 at 3:56 pm

@ pat so of everything written all u did was find fault. Maybe u have forgotten that the English word for that is networking

10. Passerby

December 10, 2016 at 9:03 pm

At least she knows she’s a gossip. I wonder how you throw in God’s name into a testimony that also mentions starting a gossip blog. Seems a little contradictory to me. Anyway to each his own.

11. Debbie

December 10, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Linda,I really needed this?

12. Jumi

December 11, 2016 at 3:21 am

This story is great… I wonder how Toke is soaring with only a book. You with all your money, nobody celebrates you. I bet she must be angry @ that.

• gentlechap

December 11, 2016 at 7:45 am

I wonder how Toke is soaring with a book…what is the yardstick if I’d ask? Have you in anyway checked out how Linda have been empowering people? Learn to celebrate success. It beats me how we sometimes bellyache for nothing.

13. Letty

December 11, 2016 at 4:34 am

Linda shld tone things down. Buys cars clothes houses everything she splashes. Bellanaija stated before her and i stand corrected might be way wealthier yet she is not out there letting it all hang out and in your face nor does she have a need to be worshipped and adored. Linda shld be careful, the economy is very bad. She should stop already with the pontification.

• sacredfacts

December 11, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Wrong. Bellanaija may be ‘classier’, have a better layout and probably older, but (at least as at 2015), no Nigerian site had more hits than Linda Ikeji’s blog. People underestimate the power of the masses and the masses flock to LIB for their gist. I agree with you about toning it down though, just wanted to correct your misconception.

14. Latifa

December 11, 2016 at 6:49 am

Reading some of the comments here and noticing how shallow minded people can be. A lot of people are at the point where they want to end it all because they feel it’s the end of the world. Linda writes an inspirational message and what we you can do is find faults? How about focusing on the good things she said? Believe it or not if you’re not happy for another person’s success you can’t attract yours. You give love, you get love. You give hate you get hate. Thank you Linda for this message God bless you.

• gentlechap

December 11, 2016 at 7:47 am

True that!! You make sense!

15. Frontingthings

December 11, 2016 at 6:58 am

We all know that to rub shoulders with the ifeanyi ubahs of this world and fronting for corrupt officials is called progress in the world,thank God havens Standard is different.

16. Stan

December 11, 2016 at 7:14 am

Linda u re right. Sometimes our thoughts are way different from His thoughts. Although tbh I think u over estimated ursef bcos u re pretty but not outstanding so maybe that na y u nor win. But at least u suppose dey first 10