Music

American OAP Apologizes for Saying Nigerians Can’t Speak English

BellaNaija.com

A couple of days ago an Atlanta-based American radio personality Steuyrockfdu said Nigerian could not speak English while interviewing the rap group Migos about their time in Lagos.

Nigerians saw this video of this interview and of course it didn’t sit well them, as they went on his personal Instagram page and called him out saying Nigerians speak very good English as that is even their first language.

Trust Nigerians, they were camped in his comment section for days.

Nigerians going in on American radio personality @stueyrockfdu for saying they cant speak English while interviewing #Migos after their time in Naija

A video posted by The_CommentSection NG ( TCS ) (@the_commentsection) on

Now, the OAP has apologized for speaking out of order, he even brought out a colleague/friend to show he has no ill will towards Nigerians and that he even has Nigerian friends…

1. V05

January 15, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Who is this one saying that “English is a difficult language to learn as a second language” in reference to Nigerians? Boy bye. Many many Nigerians have been speaking The Queen’s English for decades and not the borderline broken , improper and jargon-ized American English which people like this DJ are familiar with. And his side-kick who can’t even pronounce English is really not the best person for whatever nonsense apology he is doing, especially with that false accent he has going on. It is too early for this nonsense Abeg.

• skyhigh

January 15, 2017 at 4:22 pm

i love my naija people… when it comes to outside interference we take no prisoners..lol

• ATL's finest

January 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm

@ lol I’m telling u. We can go off on eachother but don’t dare come in between esp if u are an outsider. This razz ghetto dude that can barely pronounce ” an Apple” is talking mess. When u learn how to speak proper English other than the ghetto street English, then u can come talk to us. Till then, fall flat dude Nigerians will eat u raw, chew u, and spit U out.. Keep playing.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

January 15, 2017 at 10:15 pm

No be only the Yankee folk oh….. Even their British brethren sef join. The number of times I’ve heard absurdities like “I would OF CAME to” (caps inserted for emphasis) in place of “I would have come to” and read “definAtely” in (workplace) emails in place of “definitely”….. And a whole host of other wrongs too numerous to mention (this unfortunate spelling – “legal COUNCIL” -slays me every damn time) …. It makes me mourn for how they’ve decimated the English Language.

And what ticks me off the most is that if you’re a foreigner and for whatever reason, you happen to make ONE mistake…. just 1, oh….. Hian!! Na your matter & perceived lack of formal education wey dem fit dissect unit 2018.

Illiteracy is rife in this obodo oyibo.

• Nuna

January 16, 2017 at 9:07 am

I swear I’m always mortified when i Hear Americans say ‘I would have came out of…’ or some thing like ‘a eye pencil’ Their English leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like don’t they learn English in school?

2. Prince Charming

January 15, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Imagine this fool! African-Americans live in an English-speaking country, but they still have a problem with subject—verb agreement. He’s not criticizing that. He’s attacking a country where English is not a first language.

3. Prince Charming

January 15, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Mr/Miss, the name “Prince Charming” is exclusively mine. Do yourself a favour and stick to “Sevenade”

• Binam

January 15, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Maybe he wants Corolla to come after him. Lolzzzzzz

4. funmilola

January 15, 2017 at 2:59 pm

the guy with him is obviously not a Nigerian, what sort of stupidity is this?

• Agu

January 15, 2017 at 3:11 pm

He is Nigerian. What America does mentally to Nigerians or Africans when can make you behave the same way. As you arrive America all you will be doing is try to fit in to a American culture a culture that is not yours and thats what he was doing

5. nnenne

January 15, 2017 at 3:07 pm

No apologies dear.
    English is not our first language.
    It is borrowed! !

6. #Proudnigerian

January 15, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Who gives two hoots about english when IDOMA is still being batteled severely I need an IDOMA tutor somebody help!!! Chai chai??

• Binam

January 15, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I can teach you.

• Idomagirl

January 15, 2017 at 6:39 pm

You wan learn Idoma?
      How much you go pay?

7. ladym

January 15, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Please who English epp?

8. Jagaban

January 15, 2017 at 8:05 pm

That’s because as Nigerians, we don’t speak ebonics, the African American way of speaking english. So of course, he would understand us when we speak properly!!!

9. #Proudnigerian

January 15, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Oyi enem nle odadodu kocho tun la bo?

• #Proudnigerian

January 15, 2017 at 8:06 pm

@idomagirl

10. Java girl

January 15, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I need an urhobo teacher pronto and i ain’t kidding…pleaseeeeee

• Prince Charming

January 15, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I have a PhD in Urhobo from Havard.

11. Lola

January 15, 2017 at 8:40 pm

This is friend sounds like someone from west Africa.I’m 100%sure he is not a Nigerian

• Lola

January 15, 2017 at 9:09 pm

*his friend *

• funmilola

January 15, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Biko, isn’t Nigeria in West Africa?

12. Lola

January 15, 2017 at 8:51 pm

That guy is not a Nigerian. Nigeriansspeak queens English,some with their mother tongue.Akatas speaks ghetto English and they are ao comfortable speaking it cus its their mother tongue.He is complaining about Nigerians what about the mexicans,polish,Romanians ,Indians,Chinese their accent is worse.

13. Hotchik

January 15, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Tell me about it! ” You have such a beautiful accent, where are you from?” I reply, ” I’m Nigerian.” She says ” Wow! You speak really well– I know a Nigerian and he speaks broken English.”

I wasn’t sure how to respond. I just said I’m Nigerian, that’s our official language, and then moved away very quickly. I couldn’t quite deal with the ignorance that time.

• Corolla

January 15, 2017 at 11:56 pm

If I had a penny for anytime anyone said that to me… Aaaaargh. So annoying.

14. Anon

January 15, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Look at the idiot talking about Nigerians not speaking “good enough English”. You live as a “MAN”in a country were you piss your pants whenever you see a police car drive up, living as a third rate degenerate and you got something to say about black people living FREE IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. Go pick some cotton , idiot. So we don’t speak excellent English ? You got 101 problems , like you live in a country that DONT WANT YOUR BLACK ASS. What you gone do bout DAT!!!!!. Howz your excellent command of English helped you out of that situation. Last time I checked y’all were playing dumb like (no masta I cans read ) just to stay alive mtchewwwwwww.

• Author Unknown

January 16, 2017 at 2:43 am

Your comment is not proper Anon. Don’t bring yourself this low because of one comment from an obviously ignorant African=American. Whether we like it or not, African-Americans are our blood relatives.

• Anon

January 16, 2017 at 7:47 am

What’s not proper is a dumbf-k with a Mike and air time misinforming a generation of Americans. That’s a black man who instead of using the opportunity to enhance the image of mother Africa and show some pride chooses to act like uncle toms tired old hag dissing a nation of proud free Africans. As far as he’s concerned you are an uncivilised African / Mandingo trust me he is not even trying to be your brethren. Infact he will distance himself from you as soon as he hears your accent. And what you even talking bout brethren, theses people shoot and stab each other on a regular bases. I have no respect for garbage like him. I take garbage like him out, just like Trump’s about to do, and that’s one of his problems.. Even he’s apology is sacastic I bet he feels dumb Africans wouldn’t realise how sacastic he is being . And you know I’m just joking yeah my joke is just as genuine as his apology, and respect for Africa. No vexing.

• Lola

January 16, 2017 at 4:37 am

No Nigerian or African American pea on their pant when they see the police in America get your fact right

• Passingby

January 16, 2017 at 8:03 am

@Lola you need to stop giving guys like this ammo to finish you off. You know English isn’t compulsory on a gossip blog so free yourself.

15. Chika

January 16, 2017 at 12:53 am

ermmm. S’cuse me but if you are not my English teacher, thesis supervisor, my boss then I’m not even trying to impress you with English. The language isn’t mine. It was forced on me by the colonial sub humans. I speak pidgin when I’m out and about or one of my 4 Nigerian languages. I especially love speaking my language and then switching to impeccable English just to see the paranoid stupid expression on ignorant people’s faces looool. My Nigerian languages gives me my identity I’m super proud of my languages and my kids are definitely going to learn to speak at least one of my languages. I feel sorry for people who speak just one language it’s like a handicap!!. Look at he’s black lost ass boosting about speaking a hand me down language. Who grammar epp?? Anumpka america

16. Ade_phenix

January 16, 2017 at 1:20 am

Why are Nigerians trying to find pride in the fact that they speak their former colonizers language? Then going so far as shaming themselves and saying that English is their country official language as if English is some holy tongue. As if the English did Nigerians a favor and gifted them with the art of language. Smh. Some people in America do not realize that all the countries (except Ethiopia) in Africa were colonized by Europeans. So of course he didn’t know that an African country would speak a FOREIGN language. Find your pride Nija.

17. Mr. J

January 16, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Enough said guys! Not all African American are like this FOOL. Please, don’t stood to his level. Beside he has apologized.

• Tokunbo

January 17, 2017 at 7:20 pm

More fool you if you think that was an apology.