Scoop

“I do not even know who Gideon Okeke is, I do not think I have ever heard his name” – Veteran Nollywood Actor Chiwetalu Agu Responds to Criticism Over his Extreme Vulgarities in Movies

BellaNaija.com

A few days ago Gideon Okeke had said that Chiwetalu Agu‘s vulgarity in movies was becoming too much and he urged the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) to do something about it.

Chioma Akpotha reacted, saying Okeke lacks respect and morals, and it’s none of his (Okeke’s) business how Agu delivers his craft.

Agu has now responded in an interview with Scoop Sunday and this is what he said:

“Anybody can say anything or come to whatever conclusion they please. The viewers would judge whether I use vulgar words in movies or not. People who watch movies are the ultimate judges. I do not even know who Gideon Okeke is; I do not think I have ever heard his name.

If people like AMAA are talking to me about this, I would know how to react appropriately. But this is an individual I do not even know. He has his own style, and I have mine which has won me awards all over the continent and even beyond. This is the first time anyone will be accusing me of vulgarity.

Others have been hailing me. What we do is satire; we are re-enacting what happens in the society. People I have encountered and those who have called me have been full of praise for me. It will also interest you to know that I am the highest award-winning actor in Africa.

I have 47 awards to my name, and the second person behind me has not even got up to 10 awards. Two years ago, I took two cows to church to celebrate and thank God for giving me the highest number of awards in Africa. Secondly, I have done 727 productions.

It is a rare record in Africa. I am also the current holder of the Best Veteran Actor award which was given to me in U.S. People like Olu Jacobs and other time-tested Nollywood practitioners were nominated for that same award but I was chosen. My record is the best in all ramifications.

I have spent about 35 years in the movie industry, and I am a big pillar of Nollywood. Even former President GEJ confessed about 3 years ago that whenever he travels out of the country, foreign leaders ask after people like me, Jim Iyke, and Genevieve Nnaji.

Because of that, he put N3bn into Nollywood. It goes without saying that I am very big in Nollywood. I am a father, legend, and icon.”

1. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

January 15, 2017 at 11:25 am

Perfect Shade. Gideon Okeke should concentrate on building his muscles, seems his calling lies there. Z list act trying to be relevant.

• Chioma

January 15, 2017 at 3:27 pm

It’s NOT perfect shade. It’s quite pathetic and foolish that Gideon is bashed at this level for saying his opinion. Chiwetalu Agu is NOT funny, he’s overly dramatic for no reason, very annoying even my mum who is obsessed with Igbo movies can’t stand him. Just like how Americans think being vulgar means comedy all the time.
      He doesn’t know who Gideon okeke is because he’s of an older generation, and watches different shows than “Tinsel”.
      Okay, they are both colleague in the industry, so it might have used a different platform to express another actor’s work but nothing wrong in what Gideon said.

• nk

January 15, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Why worry about people’s opinion? Take a chill pill. Its their freaking opinion, u don’t have to like it.

• TO Gideon, whoever u are!

January 15, 2017 at 10:16 pm

727 PRODUCTIONS… 35 YEARS… WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Gideon – who are you? DO NOT TRY TO BUILD A CAREER by attaching yourself to the GREAT CHINWETALU AGU***

Go and build your career by lifting yourself by your boot-straps… & also GO AND ADVISE YOUR FATHER [that is, since you do not have respect for your elders – idiot: e n’apu ala*]

MEANWHILE, Chief Chinwetalu Agu, most of us love you and your humour… if I was asked to grade you, you would score 90%. Once in a while, it is a bit much, but when one gets it right 9, out of 10 times, I think that person’s body of work can be described as excellent – – Biko, welu ya gaba***
      The one I like the most, of all your double statements is:

Opprobrious – Igwe e je kwaa nga; Opprobrious – Igwe e je kwaa nga* Loooooooooooooool!!!

• TO Gideon, whoever u are!

January 15, 2017 at 10:28 pm

…GO AND ADVISE YOUR FATHER to give you home training.

2. naya

January 15, 2017 at 11:26 am

Lmao, Epic clapback……
    Clear example of work very hard and achieve a lot so wen ur haters come barking, you use your achievements to shut them up
    Chiwetalu Agu is d real MVP!!!
    Now to dat coconut head called Gideon nd dat tonye one month, dis man acts according to d way most nigerians act, they are insultive, u see must matured pple saying”oloriburuku,ori e o pe” nd d sort……. My granny for instance insults like crazy, idiot, u are stupid and so on……
    Now for you two, come back and reply dis after 35 years with soo many awards after not acting sexual erotic scenes and non-vulgar roles,
    And at d same time pls spread ur non vulgarity msgs to Davido, olamide and co………
    They will dance to rihanna nd young thug, lil wayne etc watch game of thrones, spartacus, mistresses, fifty shades of grey etc cos it is Hollywood, they wont write articles to ban them in our society but wen its Nollywood they will be running their mouth like tap.
    Enjoy ur short days of fame, u still wont win award for ur fractures film???

• The Real Oma

January 15, 2017 at 11:36 am

Like I don’t even understand what all the noise is about. Chiwetalu is known for the things he says in movies, It is left for the movie censorship board to rate movies according to age group. Like how could Gideon just wake up and call out Chiwetalu for his words in movies!? Like why? With all the criminal / sex scenes in Nollywood and in our music industry, it’s Chiwetalu’s words that will corrupt children? Na wa oh. Gideon looked for trouble abeg and he owes the old man an apology.

• Ufuoma frank

January 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I love ur comment he should go and appologise to my most love actor Chinwetalu Agu and alo beg for forgiveness and stop jealous.

• Betty Walamkolombo

January 15, 2017 at 11:45 am

Why should he? Is he a musician? Let’s call a spade a spade abeg. Does anything Chiwetalu has said here made sense to you? Does he have to know Gideon? Bullshit.

3. Dash

January 15, 2017 at 11:36 am

I love this. Gideon ntoo!

4. Sevenade

January 15, 2017 at 11:36 am

Chiwetalu Agu, please, calm down! E never reach to comot your CV na.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 15, 2017 at 11:50 am

Abeg e don reach jare! Show am say you don tey for the bizness. You’re not his mate. You still don’t know him ????

• Tony

January 15, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Hahahahahahaahaha. The funniest comment I have read in a while. Ngo baby

5. xplorenollywood.com

January 15, 2017 at 11:44 am

I’m lost for words! Smh… I feel sorry for this industry! Kinda of reminds me of what Meryl Stripe’s golden globes speech! As actors you have a responsibility to people who watch you! #nuffsaid!

6. Confuzzled

January 15, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Gideon or whoever he is seems to be a very catty person. I remember him making some snide comments when someone got married awhile back, can’t remember who. Classic example of an EP lol. If he has a problem with vulgarity there’s a censorship board he can take his complaints to. They also have their actors unions and what not. Commenting any other way is unnecessary and spiteful.

7. Poesy

January 15, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Dear Mr. Agu and supporters, you miss the point. Reflect on the critique. Don’t attack the critic.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 15, 2017 at 12:53 pm

@Poesy We get the critique BUT he should save it for his mates in the music industry if he really cares about the kids as they are the ones with more influence on dem kids of today

• TO Gideon, whoever u are!

January 15, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Chinwetalu Agu is a COMEDIAN – if his humour is too vulgar for you: WATCH SOMETHING ELSE*.

… OR BETTER STILL, MAKE EYOUR OWN COMEDY MOVIES AND EMPLOY HIM…and tell his what to say***

• Jade

January 16, 2017 at 11:52 am

Chioma Chukwuka calm down, we have heard!! Allow us read other comments biko

8. Olori

January 15, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I haven’t commented on this bruhaha since it begun. My only humble and objective reasoning regarding this issue is that Gideon Okeke should be ashamed of himself for going after a comedic veteran whose job as we have come to know is to be vulgar. Yes I said it. That’s what sets him apart. That’s his selling point. Why not focus on the message and leave the messenger alone. An adult who cannot watch Uncle Chiwetalu should take several seats. And what business do under 18s or under 16s have watching him. I’m so sorry for people supporting this nobody called Gideon. Borrow a brain please.

9. Spunky

January 15, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Lol! Gideon got served hot fufu…coming here to form posh actor when you never even scratch the surface.

10. yock jeremiah

January 15, 2017 at 12:40 pm

why u dey show us ur cv

• nk

January 15, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Because he no easy to get day kind cv

11. vincent

January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Baba pulled out his Cv! Lmao. I totally agree with you Naya!

12. Chris

January 15, 2017 at 12:56 pm

13. bitumen

January 15, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Exactly. Gideon is just trying to be relevant. If Chiwetalu Agu is guilty of what Gideon accuses him of, surely it is the script,surely it is okay with the director or else the vulgar parts would have been edited out, surely the vulgarity happens in real life and acting is like a replica of reality. He should have gone after the censors board to do a better job and rate Chiwetalus movies approximately and probably go after Africa Magic Movies to show such movies at night when children are asleep. To go after chiwetalu agu like Gideon has done is just silly. Its like saying Halle Berry was naked in a movie and you are targeting her. I am yoruba but when i watch english movies, it must have Nkem Owoh,John Okafor or Chiwetalu Agu. Miss the late same loco efe. Anything else is just a waste to me

• bitumen

January 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Appropriately instead of approximately.

• kaycee

January 15, 2017 at 2:22 pm

On point bro.as far as am concerned Gideon is a wannabe seeking relevance

14. usher

January 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm

easy bro …no bring your CV out please .Gideon please if you want to move far mind your biz.

15. Moniker

January 15, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Baba Agu ain’t joking. This year, people go get am as e de hot. Clap back at the clappers. The whole fabric of entertainment is soiled. Gideon is even worse cause he kisses and caresses women. Children watch those movies too. So, before you call electric kettle black, look at your fire wood pot.

16. Ami:

January 15, 2017 at 1:54 pm

What has age got to do with anything? To be a media person, you have the responsibility to inform, entertains and educate your audience. Has Chinwetalu Agbu’s style passed all 3. My answer is no! He should rethink his monotonous style. That goes back to the directors and the kind of movies they direct. He can’t play one role in hundred movies where he repeats one lousy stuff all through. Back to age? This is a problem in Africa! An older person can be wrong and can be called out. Enough of this veteran and age mate nonsense!

• TO Gideon, whoever u are!

January 15, 2017 at 10:51 pm

@Ami:
      When is your own set of movies coming out again?…

17. nene

January 15, 2017 at 2:20 pm

best response. gideon was looking for attention.

18. Oprah

January 15, 2017 at 2:32 pm

This Chinwetal man is a joke.

19. christy

January 15, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Chinwetalaugu don’t mind them even if you didn’t, win any award the Question is this does your movies worth watching yes because causea there are lot you learn from his movies

20. Zeep Etuonu

January 15, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Chiwentalu Agu should go and tell Gideon’s father to train his son to respect elders.
    I dont even know that small boy called Gideon.He should kneel down in a customary court and appologise to Chinwetalu Agu.

21. Kosi

January 15, 2017 at 6:50 pm

My take on this is that some actors play certain roles. Acting is a reflection of the society. Are there People like chinwetalu Agu’s charcter in Nigeria ? Yes. So why is that a problem. The censors boards should make sure the movies are adequately rated.

22. #WhatDoIKnow

January 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Key-point for being a successful Actors/Actresses in Nollywood in 2017
    a. You must take two cows or more to Church/Mosque every two years
    b. You must win at least an award or more every year so that by retirement (35 years of services), you would have won 47 awards.
    c. You do not need to know the upcoming Actors/Actresses like you.
    d. You must feature in 25 films every year whether as “”waka-pass”‘ or “”Major'” or “”Minor””or “”Extra””
    e. You must not neglect the Asaba, Enugu or Onitsha Film Industry
    f. You must pay homage to your Seniors-in- art and respect them. You dare not criticize any of them, maka “”Igwe Ije kwo Nga””. OR “”Otito ito Eze na ike””. Sorry my non-Igbo friends, pls ask your Ibo Bae/Boo for translation.
    g. Finally, ensure that you are friends with PMB so that when he travels abroad, People like Trump, Putin, “”Michelle”” of “”W. Germany””, Yahaya Jammeh abi Adama Barrow can ask him about you, otherwise your career is a flop.

If you need more information, there is a complete book in the “”Markate”” on the same topic, so go and grab your copy now!!!!!

23. Cath

January 15, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Gideon is playing with fire. When wicked uncles start dealing with him, he will know how to select his fights. If there was no market for that character, will the man still be in demand? Chinwetalu was even playing the part of some wicked village/elders. Maybe Gideon does not even understand anything about village life or pretending not to know anyway. Mbok

24. pokor

January 15, 2017 at 9:05 pm

no be only u, me too I don’t even know who Gideon is

25. sunny

January 15, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Gideon or whoever just leave chinwetalu alone
    Don’t u know what chinwetalu means?of course
    Gideon has no meaning I suppose?

26. cee

January 15, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Gideon or whoever let chinwetalu be
    Hope u know what the name chinwetalu means
    Of course i know Gideon has no meaning
    So mind ur business busy body.

27. Ulor lucky

January 15, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Mr. Okeke, this is Africa, we have respect for elders.

28. Mark Cyril

January 15, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Chinwetalagu is da BOMB! Gideon! Gideon!! Gideon!!! hmm mm!
    I nor talk again oh!

29. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

January 16, 2017 at 12:22 pm

@Gideon Okeke, “don’t come for your elders unless they send for you”

Veteran Nigerian actors and actresses have been acting since 19 kpirigidim, whether they speak vulgar language or not

30. Jackie

January 16, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Gideon better start learning to respect your elders! Anumanu!!!

31. Chiamaka

January 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Gideon, you must buy a cow, two kegs of palm wine, sixteen tubers of yam to come and apologise. Don’t you know Chiwetalu Agu is an Ichie (a titled man) Are you mad? Alu!!!

32. Angel

January 17, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Gideon mind yourself you and baba nobi mate after all Mr Agu is complete man but half man making a lot of noise (foo Gideon)

33. Adeshina Olaoye

January 17, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Chiwe…..U are a great man. Keep up the hard work. F- the haters. I am your fan. Movies without your presence do not make any meaning.