Scoop

Betty Irabor’s Curious Case of a Cunning or Unfortunate Pure Water Seller

BellaNaija.com

Betty Irabor helped a boy in need … or so she thought.

This happened on Sunday –

BellaNaijarians, you judge the case. Is he an unfortunate pure water seller or just an innovative con artist?

1. RichyGame

January 23, 2017 at 12:48 am

Well, that’s the true Wailing Wailer and not PDP cum their supporters; it’s his job. Sad you fell for the con but who wouldn’t?

2. Buttercup

January 23, 2017 at 12:53 am

I know the dude. He would sit on the floor crying near spilled bag of pure water. He used to sit not the far from The place ikeja. A year later I saw him at Ikoyi doing the same thing. Now he’s moved to VI. Never fell for it. I just felt the ‘wailing’ was too dramatic, he’s mouth would be very wide while wailing. Lol

• Spunky

January 23, 2017 at 9:26 am

Hehehhehehheheeheeee! He has to be very dramatic with mouth wide open, lots of gestures and heavy wailing. This way, he will get the desired effect. That’s an Oscar potential right there…

• Diokpa

January 23, 2017 at 11:12 am

Lagos na wah…. “”ha cho i iri m but dem no dey see me”” in the voice of Phyno.

3. Ec

January 23, 2017 at 1:06 am

? badtguy na condition male cray fish bend

4. Tee

January 23, 2017 at 1:16 am

What a shame. He setting himself for failure.

5. X-Factor

January 23, 2017 at 1:44 am

that’s a potential Nollywood character but his laziness, greed and myopia will not allow him chart his course and run his race diligently. …….in Donald Trumps’s voice SAD!

• LemmeRant

January 23, 2017 at 3:22 am

Lol

6. Ada_ugo

January 23, 2017 at 1:52 am

I just wish a movie producer would scout him… I mean, Nkiru Syllvanus was getting paid for ages to do the same, why shouldn’t he?

7. Fifi

January 23, 2017 at 2:09 am

Oh my goodness this made me laugh so much, that one is a certified con artist

8. EE

January 23, 2017 at 2:32 am

Reminds me of this story: https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/11/chai-impatience-doesnt-pay-twitter-user-recounts-corper-getting-swindled-at-an-atm/

Is that some people are middle-class for so long that their God-given Nigerian instincts gets watered down?? If your gut calls it bullshit, your gut is right.

Saw a boy at Onikan crying, he’d lost his daily profits from sold ‘pure water’. Pitied him, gave him some cash, saw him crying again at VI????.

Its actually possible not to sacrifice proper grammar on the altar of brevity.

P.S To save you energy, yes I’m “hating”.

• Wura

January 23, 2017 at 8:39 am

When you say “God given Nigerian instincts” do you mean lack of trust and compassion for our fellow country men?

9. Ada

January 23, 2017 at 5:43 am

I had a similar experience..I was turning at vgc roundabout when I noticed a lady driving beside me trying to tell me something?I paid attention she was like”please I need 1k”hian I ignored her and kept on going..but I couldn’t go on anymore so I stopped and spoke with her.the story was how she didn’t Hv money on her something something no fuel..?Ok I drove with her to the station bought her 4K fuel and gave her 4K..some weeks later I saw her doing the same thing at the same spot.???

• Nnenna

January 23, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Same thing happened to me, one guy frantically flagged my car, I normally would ignore but he seemed in some form of distress. He said his wife was in labour and he needed some money for okada or a cab or something, he was almost in tears. I think I gave him about 2,000 naira or something. I felt so bad for him. Fast forward a few weeks he tried to do the same thing to me. This is pure laziness and greed. Wonder why people will rather scam others.

10. Prince Charming

January 23, 2017 at 6:36 am

Nollywood should use this as the basis for a new movie. It could become a blockbuster. The Wailing Child, Part 1&2.

• His Eggscellency

January 23, 2017 at 7:57 am

Grab your copy now!

• I_I

January 23, 2017 at 10:39 am

Available at 21 Ebinpejo lane, 82 Idumota road and 34 Iweka road, Aba. To God Be The Glory . . .

• ms.jake

January 23, 2017 at 3:25 pm

y’all watch too much African Magic…lol!!!

11. Tutu

January 23, 2017 at 9:09 am

Same thing happened to me with a nylon seller. He was crying that he needed money for his exams. I said oh I’m sorry I have just N500 on me. He cried and said it was too small and walked away. Got home, told my Mom about it that I felt bad, wish I had more money on me. months later and my Mom said she saw the same boy crying for something else.

• Loveth Best

January 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm

I can’t laugh i beg, lolz

12. bignaijababe

January 23, 2017 at 9:36 am

Hmmm do not be deceived that is their stock-in trade, wailing all over Lagos and be deceiving innocent people

13. scarlet

January 23, 2017 at 10:40 am

lmao! you have been scammed Mam, Sorry. This is one of the new styles of begging in Lagos. Another common trend is young boy or girl carrying a backpack properly dressed at a bus stop asking people to help them with T-fare to a destination outside Lagos e.g Abeokuta, Ibadan (the farther away the destination the bigger the money) or Women with toddlers or babies close to supermarket begging for money to feed their children, They are always harassing shopper going in or coming out of the stores like since you have money to buy stuffs at the store you should be able to part with some more. Na wa!
    I understand the economy is really bad but these people need to take a chill pill ,they are makes it hard to genuinely help does that really need it!

14. Somborri

January 23, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Old scam, new mugu #dazall

15. molarah

January 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Abeg she’s not a mugu. It’s just unfortunate that some Nigerians have decided to make a career out of exploiting the sympathy of others.

I’m even particularly irritated to hear that it was a child. What kind of lesson is he inculcating for the future? If it was me, it would have taken everything in me to resist from boxing his ears for pulling that kind of mischievous stunt. It’s really a pity.

16. Engoz

January 23, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Nigeria has gone to the dust. It’s all jokes now until the poor begin to eat the rich.

• Nito

January 24, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Never, It is well with Nigeria. The poor will get rich and the rich will also help the poor too. This is what will happen.

17. Joy

January 23, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I know the dude. I have seen him countless times at Bonny Camp pulling same stunt..

18. Nyc

January 23, 2017 at 4:48 pm

PLS SOmEBODY SHOULD VIDEO THE SILLY BOY AND POST FOR us TO LAUGH AT THIS DECEPTIVE WAILING…ALSO ADA ^UP THERE, U ARE RISKING UR LIFE STOPPING TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE WHO STOPS YOU TO TALK TO YOU ON THE ROAD..YOU COULD BE HYPNOTISED AND THE REST WILL BE HISTORY. Don’t ever do the especially in Nigeria.

19. o

January 23, 2017 at 7:14 pm

There are professional beggers in Lagos na. Go to LUTH, they are plenty. Always asking for money for drugs or procedure. They will usually hold prescription. Ask for the doc or to see the prescription you will hear another story. One was caught like that. By the time they looked at the prescription it was a LASUTH prescription from so many years back. They just see discarded prescription and start using. VI, Ikoyi them full there