Scoop

Boris Kodjoe & his Son Wear Red Nail Polish in Support of #WomensMarch and Feminism

BellaNaija.com

US-based Ghanaian-German actor Boris Kodjoe took to his Instagram page to show support for feminism and the women’s march that held on Saturday.

Him and his son Nicolas Neruda Kodjoe wore red nail polish on their left fingernails and made a fist in solidarity with the women’s rights movement.

He wrote –

To all the fathers out there.

Today we have an opportunity to teach our sons how to be real men. To be the solution rather than part of the problem. To love, respect, and support those who gave life to us, nurtured and raised us.

Today is an opportunity to teach our sons that being a feminist fortifies and confirms your identity as a man and your integrity as a human being.

#RedNailsForWomen
#BeARealMan
#FeminismIsNotAThreatToYourManhood
#WomensMarch
#SupportingWomenIsSupportingHumanity

1. nwa nna

January 22, 2017 at 1:05 am

I’m not pro or anti feminism, I just believe in equality period.. But on wearing nail polish with my male child to show support for the cause? Mba nu wokoma, I and my son can show support in so many other ways without me telling my son or other young impressionable male’s that it okay to wear nail polish. Just my opinion

• Lily

January 22, 2017 at 1:29 am

You are talking balderdash!!!

• tunmi

January 22, 2017 at 3:34 am

Why? What is wrong with a guy wearing nail Polish? Does his penis disappear? Or do his fingers disappear?

• Nwa nna

January 22, 2017 at 3:48 pm

@tunmi and the gang,
      You my friend may not realize this, there’s a systemic feminization of black men that’s going on, and the western media is pushing this agenda ever so subtly on our young men.. I live in a country where I see this too often, so please understand that I know what I’m talking about.

It’s the same BN readers that will scream and kick when BN post images of boys/ men dressed in feminine attires & having feminine makeovers. I don’t hear any of you then high fiving screaming gender equality.. So, please stop with the usual Nigerian fvcking hypocrisy…
      The same BN readers will scream and cry foul if BN posted an article of Bruce the Kardashian father dresses as woman on the cover of a woman’s magazine saying I am every woman..

The painting of nail whether symbolic or not still does nothing for the gender equality cause in my opinion. What next? You’ll tell me that it’s okay for a dude to wear lipsticks because it’s symbolic towards gender equality…
      Just as you’re entitled to your opinions, so am I. I still stand by what I wrote that there are so many other ways to teach gender equality to boys without them wearing a nail Polish, red lipsticks etc.

• Jazzydee919

January 23, 2017 at 4:04 am

He can wear a tampon also. But seriously

• commenter

January 22, 2017 at 11:18 am

You believe in Equality for all? Then you are a feminist. Feminism is defined by the merriam webster dictionary as:
      “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”

Your comment falls in line with the definition of feminism.

As for the red nail polish, it was worn as a SYMBOL OF SUPPORT for feminism!

Finally, (Not necessarily for you Nwa nna) there are so many people (women and men) out there who do not support equality, why? I’ve been blessed to see some men who did not support equality have ALL daughters and no sons. Trust me, they changed their minds. WHO WANTS TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN LIVE IN THE WORLD AS SECOND CLASS CITIZENS?

LETS COMPARE RACISM TO CHAUVINISM(THE OPPOSITE OF FEMINISM)

RACISM: the belief that one race is superior to another

CHAUVINISM: the belief that members of one sex is superior to the opposite sex

Why is there an eery similarity between both?? Something is very wrong with the idea that men are superior to women. After all, the creator, God places the same value on us all!

NONE OF US WANT TO BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BASED ON THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN! SO, WHY THEN DO WE DISCRIMINATE AGAINST OTHERS ON THE BASIS OF WHAT LIES BETWEEN THEIR LEGS?

• EE

January 22, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Its rather funny that you’re busting out Merriam WEBSTER. Let’s play the game.

Definition of communism
      a : a theory advocating elimination of private property.
      b : a system in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed.
      c : a final stage of society in Marxist theory in which the state has withered away and economic goods are distributed equitably.

“You believe in Equality for all?” Then you’re a communist!!

Come on! You can agree with a goal without believing in a particular theory about how to achieve that goal. Its this tendency to turn everything into a Manichean struggle that makes some not want to BE feminists.

2. M (the real one)

January 22, 2017 at 4:47 am

Say NO to the feminisation of men, especially our young black men!!

• BlueEyed

January 22, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Please be gone with this foolishness

3. Cookie

January 22, 2017 at 4:47 am

But if u were asked or told to wear nail Polish with your son to get American visa,or citizenship,i am sure u will gladly wear it and see nothing wrong..
    How does wearing nail Polish on a boy for a few minutes to take a picture,in support of a movement for and on behalf of his sisters,mother,grandmother and future daughters alter his masculinity or impression of what being a male is?
    All i see is a man who is showing his young son,and teaching/educating him to be aware,sensitive and understanding of women rights,and showing support to the movement…Don’t turn this into what it’s [email protected] nwa nna.

4. Cookie

January 22, 2017 at 5:10 am

His beautiful daughter suffers from spina bifida,and i am sure there would have been many times, boris and his son would have painted their nails,sat for tea parties with her,dressed up as girls,just to make his daughter happy…Sometimes we make a fool of ourselves for those we love,to show support,to show we care,to show we understand.. It doesn’t mean his altering his son’s thinking to being gay,or less of a man…

I guess we can all look at a picture and give it different meanings and interpretations..

5. Ottawa Queen

January 22, 2017 at 6:46 am

Wow! Those eyes of the boy…so gorgeous.

• Anonnn

January 22, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Gorgeous ke? Please how old are you and how old is the boy? Biko o………

6. john

January 22, 2017 at 7:00 am

I bet that is how bobrisky started

• adele

January 22, 2017 at 7:12 am

shut up always spurring ignorae

7. Sibo

January 22, 2017 at 9:39 am

Boris yes I support whatever ministry you preach. You so damn fine even your genes are miniature droplets of hotness making replicas of your honest to goodness fineness.

8. Gem

January 22, 2017 at 10:15 am

I’m not pro or anti-feminism, I just believe in equality period..”
    Nwa nna, would it be proper to say you are too foolish for your age no matter what age you are? Because I do not see how possible it’s to not be pro-feminism and yet believe in equality, nor can I imagine how you cannot be pro-feminism and anti-feminism at the same time…It’s like saying, “You know, I’m gay and I’m not gay”…and feminism is not such a topic you gotta sit on the fence. You are either pro-feminism which inconsequentially, “believes in equality period”, or you are anti-feminism , which inconsequentially validates your irritability with a grown ass man and his son wearing a red nailpolish to symbolize femininity in order to portray their message….to depict their feminism…
    Like I dont get it why the dictionary meaning of ‘mankind’ stipulates the entire universe and we are okay with it….but with ‘FEMinism’ which calls for the equality of the sexes, it’s a different ball game.
    As in, whatelse explains why peeps who allegedly claim to identify with gender equality flee from the sole word; feminism, which describes it???

9. Obi

January 22, 2017 at 12:47 pm

The son looks so much like his mum. Very handsome lad. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this picture. I would gladly do the same.

10. ify

January 22, 2017 at 3:29 pm

there are more to women than nail polish and make up and there are a lot of women out there that don’t wear make up and nail polish so next time u wanna support women maybe u should teach ur son that women are not about their make up and nail polish and we have bigger purpose in this world than what the society says and therefore should be given equal opportunity and pay

11. Nansense

January 22, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Abeg Abeg Abeg. They could’ve made their point without the nail polish. Warrahell?

12. Jazzydee919

January 23, 2017 at 4:04 am

He can wear tampons and pads also but why?

13. EquityoverEqaulity

January 24, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I am all for gender “equality” and I have no issue with Boris and his son putting on nail polish, that’s their business! However, I am tired of hearing that women need respect, empowerment, support, love, etc because women don’t do the same for men (especially men who don’t oppress/disrespect them).

14. Tosin