News

Following the Advice of her Friend, Woman Scalds Toddler’s Hand While Trying to Stop her from Thumbsucking

BellaNaija.com

A Facebook User, Enemuo Nneka shared disturbing photos of a toddler whose hand was badly burnt after her mother dipped it in hot water to stop her from thumbsucking.

Nneka said that the mother’s friend advised her to use water on the toddlers hand to stop her from sucking it.

“What a mother did to her daughter all because she wants to stop her from sucking her finger. Is that not madness of d highest order? People should please desist from listening to advice of ‘frenemies’ dat pretends to be friends. Hearts of men, the Bible said is desperately wicked. You don’t know if she harbors ill-feelings for you yet pretends to be a good friend. It was her friend that advised her to do such now see d result,” Nneka wrote.

Thankfully, from the photos shared, the child seems to be recuperating.

1. Cocolette

January 18, 2017 at 3:27 pm

What a foolish mother

2. Sonia Paloma

January 18, 2017 at 3:45 pm

ahhhh, your friend told you to dip your child’s hands into hot water and you did? what kind of stupidity is that?
    I sucked my right thumb till i was about 11 or so. and only did it at night The least my mum did to stop me was putting bitter leaf on my thumb. She is just a kid that will outgrow it. illiteracy is a disease indeed

3. keke driver

January 18, 2017 at 3:47 pm

You try…Next time cut the finger off… #CommonSense is actually not common after all.

4. leke

January 18, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Whatever happened to the old trick of putting a dead cockroach on the fingers to scare ’em,?

• Olu

January 18, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Ewww …no thank you.

• Ec

January 18, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Huh where did you grow up

5. 3ples

January 18, 2017 at 4:16 pm

She should have tested the water with her own hand first to determine if it’s the right temperature as advised before putting her child’s hand in it…. msheeewww.. Nonsense

6. o

January 18, 2017 at 5:43 pm

A child that will suck will suck. And most ppl outgrow it. I sucked till I was in lower secondary. All the bitterleaf trick doesn’t work. Just discourage it verbally and gradually the child will stop

7. Yetty

January 18, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I just want to ask the need to stop the child from sucking..is it a sicknes??? …i sucked my thumb til high school and i stopped myself. upon all my mum did to stop it i.e bitter leaf…my baby presently sucks and i let him …pls let a child be a child

• o

January 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Some ppl believe it spoils the dentition.

• KitKat

January 18, 2017 at 8:37 pm

It does. It causes an open bite.

• purplieciousbabe

January 19, 2017 at 3:52 pm

I dont agree with sucking fingers or sucking of any kind oo. It is distasteful and messes up the dentures!!! Speaking from experience. I will always take the finger out the babies mouth. I do however think it is senseless to do such as an act. I cant even comprehend the stupid and unnecessary pain for the child.

Besides, most people out grow this. Let nature take it course!
      Sigh

8. Jane doe

January 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I’m still sucking my lip and I’m 24. Should my mother have cut off my lip?. What nonsense!!

9. Omoluabi

January 18, 2017 at 8:36 pm

This mummy just scarred her child for life! It actually does spoil dentition. But there are ways round this thing now. She better pray that hand doesn’t get infected. We pray healing for you little one. It won’t take long to heal in Jesus name. Amen.

10. Idomagirl

January 18, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Stupid woman.
    How can you scald your child like that?

11. Toke

January 18, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Don’t mind her, crazy woman!! I sucked till I was in ss1 or 2. I stopped when my peers asked if I sucked cos of my front teeth . My parents also added bitter leaves as well but that one no work, I’ll suck the bitterness out sef.

12. Maria Magdalena Beukes

January 20, 2017 at 5:37 am

This is stupidness are the woman who give the advise not feeling guilty about what happend people must know there are fake friends in life.