News

Audio: President Buhari told me he wanted a vice president that can “hold the nation together” if he dies in power – Tunde Bakare

BellaNaija.com

Tunde Bakare

Speaking to his congregation on January 3rd 2017, General Overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly, Pastor Tunde Bakare, disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari picked him as his running mate in the 2011 election because he wanted a vice president that can hold the nation together if he passes on while in power.

The duo contested under the aegis of the then Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) but lost to Goodluck Jonathan and Namadi Sambo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

He said all that transpired during that period had been documented in the book: ‘Strategic Intervention in Governance’, which he authored.

“After I was called and I went to Abuja, and I sat with Mr President or General Buhari then, I said why me? ‘I’m not a politician’, ‘I do not belong to any political party’, ‘I am not carrying card of any party, why me’?

He gave me all the reasons, they are written in the book; ‘Strategic Intervention in Governance’. He gave three reasons, but the one that made everyone around me that day to doff their hats was when he said: I am not as young as you think, and even Yar’Adua that is younger is dead.

In case I die, I know you can hold the nation together. That was when Jim (he didn’t give his surname) removed his cap and said egbon, you must agree,” Bakare said.

Bakare said on another day, he met with Buhari:

“Sir, I need to understand something before I do anything. Every running mate of yours, including the one that was even your deputy in the military, is dead.

Ume-Ezeoke is dead, Okadigbo is dead, Idiagbon is dead, I am not about to die?

‘Pastor, you must be very funny, I have never even thought about it,’ Bakare said Buhari told him. ‘I said I’m thinking,’ Bakare added.

I knew he had nothing to do with their deaths, but that man carries a dimension of grace that if you deal with him, and betray him, you pay with your life.

So I said to him, hear me now, ‘I will never betray you, I leave it to you to betray me if you wish to do so’. I’m not kidding you, you don’t know what transpired, for you, it was just campaign.

Loyalty is a two-way traffic, if you cannot do that with God, forget, you cannot do it with men, you’d betray the cause, somewhere along the line, when things get tough, when they are not as easy as you expect them to be.

God builds your confidence if you heed to his agreement.

He said that a day to the deadline for submission of nominations, Nasir El-Rufai met with him and told him that Olusegun Obasanjo just told him (El-Rufai) to tell Buhari to drop Bakare for Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala so that he (Obasanjo), as well as Aliko Dangote and Ibrahim Babangida can support him (Buhari).

Bakare said he was relieved and proceeded to tell Buhari the ‘good news’. He said he told Buhari that Okonjo-Iweala is a good choice as she portrays balance in gender and ethnicity, has the necessary experience, and international exposure, all of which he lacked.

He said that after Buhari listened to them, he told him to return the form he was not interested, adding that he will look for somebody else.

Bakare said that that was when he signed the form – in Buhari’s room.

Listen:

1. Xristybabes

February 8, 2017 at 11:20 am

hmmmm

2. Mystique

February 8, 2017 at 11:24 am

Drama everyday from our leaders…….. Pastor Sir, i wouldn’t speak much on anything pertaining to buhari if i were you. Better to resist the temptation and be mute. Enough already

• Agu

February 8, 2017 at 11:36 am

Buhari is totally fine. The man is in titled for 30 days vacation according to Nigeria Constitution he can do what ever it wants with.

• anon

February 9, 2017 at 3:38 am

If Buhari is totally fine, why didn’t he address the crowd at UK recenly!

3. Agu

February 8, 2017 at 11:30 am

Nigerians and there way of interpreting words. It’s normal for a president to have that in mind when the choose there vice president. during an interview with CNN in 2009 Obama said the samething that he choosed Joe Biden as vice president because of Joe’s experience and also if anything happens to him the country will be in a safe hand.

• Dlola

February 8, 2017 at 12:03 pm

It’s about who it’s coming from. When you have a fraud and liar as a pastor, you become skeptical on whatever comes out of his mouth. What Buhari said is what any sane president will say but it looks like Tunde is up to something either eyeing the VP position maybe not but he definitely wants a position.

4. charidee

February 8, 2017 at 11:39 am

I don’t know why all this man rubs me up the wrong way…… Anyway is he trying to tell us something, because all this one na story.

5. FasholasLover

February 8, 2017 at 11:44 am

So, in essence Ume-Ezeoke, Chuba Okadigbo and Tunde Idiagbon betrayed Buhari? Tunde Bakare has finally gone mad!. Loquacious man. Tufia. Ripping people off in the name of God. His gullible church goers will buy the book.

Is this not the same man that apologised to Nigerians after his house was gutted by fire? According to him at the time, that was his punishment becos, God did not give him the go ahead to contest. Yet, becos of the lure of office and greed he contest with Buhari.

l hv watched his TV programmes a few times and l always always stop half way. He frequently goes off tangent and arrogant to booth. Truly, the Church is one of the problems in Nigeria.

• David

February 8, 2017 at 11:58 am

This is what is called “Alternate News”, this your second paragraph is Fake news. Where and when, in what interview did he make the statement you said he did in your second paragraph about his house and punishment.

If no one checks your fallacy, others will read the lies you wrote here and believe. It is sad what people can cook up in the name of anonymity.

• FasholasLover

February 8, 2017 at 5:17 pm

@David, you beat me to it. “Alternative facts” you mean? If only you read and are a student of history. But, I can tell you lack the depth of the knowledge regarding Tunde Bakare’s rants. This same Bakare likened the APC to a church of Satan. Soon after, it was the best thing to happen to Nigeria. Did he not also say after the inauguration of Buhari that Nigerians will smile in 3 months?. He also prophesied that Obasanjo was going to die in power. Tunde Bakare speaks from both sides of the mouth. Check that too.

6. Aity

February 8, 2017 at 11:53 am

Why all dis messages. Who is demanding for all dis sermon.

7. Hellen

February 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

OK, pray about it

8. top nigeria news

February 8, 2017 at 12:01 pm

What is this Pastor trying to say. I would advise him to say less and watch what is happening in the country. Buhari have chosen his VP and you should let things be. You are not a Politician but a Pastor. Face the business of Pastor which is your true profession and leave governance for Politicians

9. Chioma

February 8, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Everything here and much more is in his book “Strategic Intervention in Governance” a book released in 2015. In the Chapter “2011 Presidential Elections, My Story For Posterity”, contains all this and a whole lot more. But because we don’t read, it becomes an headline 2 years later.

Go look for the book. President Jonathan and Buhari acknowledged the book.

• Manny

February 8, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Exactly! I was like I know I read this a looong time ago

10. Anon

February 8, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Maybe. he’s trying to tell us that Osinbajo can “hold the nation together” if he dies in power. Whoever he chooses as his deputy is good enough to lead.

11. nene+

February 8, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Tua Mr. Bakare! Are you for real? You mean to avoid betrayal is the reason Mr President does no wrong in your optics?

Your sermon actually gives me head ache-verbose

12. suga

February 8, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Hmmmm, why did I become tired of commenting on Nigeria political related matters of late? mtshew,its just like pouring water on a hard rock.Im weak and tired of all of you!!! Thank you.

13. Mide

February 8, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Bella Naija is being very Disingenuous, This Was a message he preached before Buhari went on any kind of leave whatsoever. No need to create sensationalism and make a tense situation even worse. Hopefully Mr President comes back in good health if not Osinbanjo takes over but whatever it is, this message was preached way before Mr President went on sick leave and it should not serve as a direct correlation to the situation on hand.

14. David

February 8, 2017 at 1:25 pm

but Buhari is barely holding this nation together. And did he really except Buhari to tell him he was chosen because he’s a religious figure and Yoruba man. Who do these guys think they are talking to? They do not realise we are becoming more and more enlightened and WOKE! Smh.

15. hogwash

February 8, 2017 at 1:39 pm

SMH! Anyone who knows the true storry of what happened between Okonjo Iwealla and Obasanjo and why he laid her off as a minister will know this gist is hogwash.

16. Dame Marian

February 8, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Dreams and aspirations………keep imagination!ode…

17. tunmi

February 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

There is really no need for drama series in Naija, these politicians alone provide enough material for a full season

18. rain

February 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm

bakare typical yoruba man …loud mouth and always shouting me me to be noticed

• Iya ibeji

February 8, 2017 at 6:40 pm

In your mind now, you have made sense with your tribalistic garb

• funmilola

February 9, 2017 at 10:32 am

and what has tribe got to do with this?
      can’t you just make a sensible comment without being tribalistic?

19. Binta

February 8, 2017 at 4:09 pm

But sir , agreed, PMB tswanya you all these , for God sake must you come out to tell the world????!!! You have now betrayed the trust he had in you,,, be ready for the consequences as you said oooh. Na u talk am.. say consequences dey for betraying PMB….

20. David

February 9, 2017 at 10:09 am

@FasholasLover, You still didn’t provide a link to any of the trash you are saying here. This is how you go about spreading untrue quotes, quotes you can’t back up. He wrote a book you never read… BellaNaija even helped you by having the audio here but you still choose to share your own fallacies here.

Enjoy! @FasholasLover… Everything about you is fake.

• LOL

February 9, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Why do I think you are not a david? Men do not behave like this lol.

21. yummymummycumchick

February 9, 2017 at 1:12 pm

lol………….if he knows he was preparing to die. why did he contest…….. freak!