News

Xenophobia: Nigerian-Owned Businesses & Buildings Attacked and Looted in South Africa

The Nigerian Community in South Africa have confirmed attacks and looting of Nigerian-owned businesses in Pretoria West on Saturday.

Ikechukwu Anyene, President, Nigeria Union in South Africa, told NAN on telephone from Pretoria, that the attacks began at 4AM.

He said that the union had reported the incident to the Nigeria mission and South African police.

“As we speak, five buildings with Nigerian businesses, including a church have been looted and burned by South Africans. One of the buildings is a mechanic garage with 28 cars under repairs, with other vital documents, were burned during the attack. Also, the pastor of the church was wounded and is in the hospital receiving treatment,” he said.

Anyene said the union had informed Nigerians in South Africa to be vigilant in the face of renewed xenophobic attacks.

According to him, the union received information that there will be xenophobic attacks against foreigners on Feb. 22 and Feb. 23.

“We began taking precautionary measures when the incident took place today. The attack in Pretoria West is purely xenophobic and criminal because they loot the shops and homes before burning them,” he said.

Anyene called on the Federal Government to persuade its South African counterpart to protect Nigerians in their country.

“These attacks should not be allowed to continue because it is a big setback,” he said.

1. Susie

February 18, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Interesting. So they loot Nigerian stores but leave Europeans alone. Black South Africans are a joke. They worship white people so much but hate other Africans. Funny how they retreated (like a scared dog with its tail between its legs) to other African countries during apartheid but now want to drive all black Africans out of their country. And all cos they’re too lazy to work & envy Nigerians for setting up successful businesses in SA

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 10:48 am

because the crimes committed by mostly Nigerians and other illegal immigrants takes place in their neighborhoods. Housing scams, kidnapping of young girls drugging them then forcing them into prostitution.If it were you am sure you would only pray ,fast and bind.The bad Nigerians that everybody in SA is tired of is really messing up things for the best and brightest.

• Jade Edo babe

February 19, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Europeans, Indians in South Africa have the mind of positive development, think of long term solutions, they actually use their innovation skills, their brain while Africans choose destruction. We are capable of doing the same thing but we don’t use our own abilities. The truth is, a lot of Nigerians in South Africa run many illegal businesses. Let’s not always defend Nigeria blindly, let’s be honest and that’s where change come from. If they need to crack down businesses as a warning to the bad ones, hey it’s their country.
      Unfortunately, it will affect the good ones.

Black South Africans are treated like second class citizens in their own country. It’s a high crime among them but let them deal with their own issues. It’s human nature, when other group add to it, there comes a problem.

• le coco

February 19, 2017 at 5:07 pm

@Jane u won’t speak for others bt for myself.. I wldnt defend Nigerians blindly. .. the truth is Nigerians don’t help themselves in selome of these situations.. but the fact is Nigerians can’t run selome business alone.. The south african police play I huge role.. their constant bribe taking makes difficult for crime to be curbed.

Nigerians don’t sell drugs to themselves.. The people who buy them know themselves.. and contrary to popular belief the facts shows that south africans themselves are responsible for MAJORITY of the crimes committed in their country.. nd this does not exonerate foreigners who do crime..

If you have an issue with drugs.. handle the drug drugdealers.. deal with the police who see it and collect bribes.. handle your family and friends who are buying drugs.. nobody is responsible for you well being bt urself.. teach your children to say no to drugs.. that excuse of “they are selling drugs to our children” is absurd.. did any drug pusher knock on ur door to sell? These kids know what these things are.. Nd if u have to tell a 14 or 16 yr old not to drugs then don’t u think there is a problem..? What were u teaching him at home,?what is ur child watching? i know many grown men nd women coming home drunk, smelling of weed, condoms falling out of their pockets, bringing their gf’s nd bf’s home at night.. In frnt of their kids. then you wonder where bad behavior starts.. why shld I a oung lay go to the club nd shld re my friends mother smoking weed, grinding on young boys who cld very well be their own child?
      at what time of the night do your teenagers cm home? come to SA nd look around u.. children are in clubs, in bars.. children who still live with their parents? when ur child isnt home by 9 why is that ? why is it ok? children flirting with older men? in Naija Dem nor born you well… stay out till 2 am nà..as a 14 or 16 yr old.. I am not making this up.. These are verifiable facts.. so im not surprised when ur teenagers dnt know not to buy drugs..

A part of honesty is taking responsibility for your actions.. Nd channeling ur anger at people who are commiting the crimes.. Nd not innocent business men and women… that mechanic that had 28 cars in his garage, where do you want him to strt from? replacing all those cars of his customers? with what? haba..

• Jade Edo babe

February 19, 2017 at 7:50 pm

@ le coco
      I agree that South Africans have their part to play. However, Nigerians should focus on their part and address it. It reminds me of when 419 scams was prevalent here, and some Naijas will blame Americans who fell for it. They will defend and be in denial. Americans can easily blame banks here for making it easy for these scammers to have access to their money. But their focus was on the prepatrators.

Just because the SA police collect bribe doesn’t make the bad actions more justifiable. It’s just like rape or having sex with a minor, just because some young girls are promiscuous, forwardly asking for sex doesn’t mean an adult should do it.
      Why are drug dealers charged in some countries? Their citizens must have been hooked on it and asking for it but the dealers take the major blame.

South Africa blacks have big problems, they are very messed up.
      My thing is, naijas do better in places you choose to reside in.

• Seriously

February 19, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Nigerians are hard working people but many do unscrupulous businesses in SA. Not every hustle deserves to be called successful just because there’s money in it.
      The crime rate in that country is too high. The security is very low. When you arrive at the airport, don’t just look out for your luggages, belongings but look out for yourself. Black SA steal, rob, rape openly. It’s not a place I want to visit again despite the beauty of Cape town.
      Black SA self hatred is to the lowest level..I watched a documentary about poor white SA. And a black SA lady said she feels sorry to see poor whites but it’s understanding to see poor black south Africans. A country where whites are the minority, pushed out black SA into the ghetto feel sorry for the oppressors. Sigh. That’s a Fucked up mentality

• yoshimitsu

February 21, 2017 at 6:30 pm

You are talking lot of nonsense, If there’s any white worship, it’s amongst you Nigerians who attribute every good thing to white people and bad things to blacks exposing how you trully see yourselves. Btw where does this envy myth comes from? Who in their right minds envy a Nigerian? Arguably a nation an with the worst reputation

2. Mrs chidukane

February 18, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Lazy animals. Go and work, stop blaming foreigners.

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 10:41 am

They only mistake they made was to open their border and then the good,the bad and the ugly rushed there. Believe you me you would do worst if the ugly came to your house to do the shit they do there.

3. Victor Adegoke

February 18, 2017 at 11:14 pm

The SA indigenous people are scared of Nigerian’s growth in their soil. That is the truth!

• Anita Samuels

February 25, 2017 at 3:47 pm

The truth of the matter is that a lot of Nigerians want to get rich overnight. They open up small shops and businesses and yet behind the scenes they’re dealing in drugs. Wherever a Nigerian goes, the reputation of that country goes down and that is why they are being attacked by South Africans. Face the truth.

4. Spunky

February 18, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Not again.

5. Sam Johnson

February 18, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I am apologizing for my ignorance on this matter of South Africans attacking Nigerians and their businesses,
    I have made statements like… Why will you leave your country to be selling drugs in another country but I swallowed my comments when Oracle sent me to SA,

I lived there for 5yrs still travels down there once a while when am needed.

I have driven around Johannesburg and even outside Johannesburg like Germiston, Pretoria, Brits, Soweto, Krugasdorp, Mafikeng and all the way to Suncity, beautiful country but the hatred the uneducated blacks and few educated one’s have towards Nigeria is beyond control, given the percentage of Nigerians selling or dealing with drugs are less than 1%.

Like Brixit and Donald Trump, sensationalism is the order of the days we live nowadays, the new mayor of Johannesburg just layed crime at the feet of the black foreigners.

Nigerians living in South Africa my advice to you is start working on your exit especially if you are raising children, you wouldn’t want your children growing up in a country where people that looks like them are taught to call them names in School.

I noticed Nigerians that live in the Suburbs just have the white racist that hides under ‘we hear Nigerians are bad to carry out their bigotry.

6. Ec

February 19, 2017 at 7:28 am

This has been the case for the longest time. There is a hatred for the black African especially Nigerians. But believe me we Nigerians are not always innocent. Sa blacks can complain but not work, all majority to is drink and father children they cannot care for. In the midst of all this hatred they are still the first to stretch out their hand and accept money from a Nigerian. And guess what,that money is most likely going to alcohol

7. anonymous

February 19, 2017 at 8:07 am

@bella naija why u omit the fact that ur ppl r running brothels nd drug trade down there. South Africans r sick n tired of this immorality

• le coco

February 19, 2017 at 2:54 pm

loool aren’t south africans patronising these brothels? … pls stop… law of supply nd demand… If ur ppl weren’t immoral there wldnt b rampant… If you come to Nigeria u will not find brothels nd drugs so openly operating.. so stop blaming others.. Nd no I am not condoning immorality..

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I hope someone kidnaps your underage daughter and drugs them to be prostituting them,then you will open that mouth of yours to say what you said.Oh another thing is it not Nigerians in Nigeria buying human parts for ritual purposes I guess the law of supply and demand must be upheld even in that case.I know even fake pastors involved in this trade .Supply and demand my ass.If it is grown up women being prostituted I wouldn’t even care.Another thing how come nobody is insulting Libya for all the horrible things they are doing to blacks over there?

• le coco

February 19, 2017 at 5:13 pm

shame on you @poison ivy.. my child wld not be at random places at odd ours of the night.. hanging around old men .. I am not condoning kidnapping.. why would I? innocent girls who r trafficked don’t deserve such.. bt the truth is there r people who request such.. I knw this because I work in SA requires me to know such details, facts and figures.. Nigerian girls are trafficked everyday nd are taken to Italy and other parts of Europe.. have u heard of Ngerians bashing Italians? no.. We take responsibility nd look for a way forward.. The truth ins your police are incompetent nd when they consider that these girls cld be their own daughters maybe they will stop taking bribes nd consider human lives…

people shld teach their children to be aware. protect themselves.. when ur 15 yr old o’s out with her 25 yr old boyfriend u shld knw to advise her, to guard her.. not everyday Jolling, smoking week, getting drunk..

also when it comes to trafficking pls take a look at ur politicians.. nuff said..

8. Rory

February 19, 2017 at 8:33 am

There’s a difference between xenophobic attacks; where non-nationals are attacked for no other reason other than being foreign and a war on drugs and prostitution; where raids are directed at a specific group (Nigerians) that is known by everyone to be behind the despicable crimes.

Its only Nigerians blinded by patriotism who call their countrymen’s crimes in a foreign country “hardwork”. Whilst decent Nigerians who know what their brethren in SA have been up to for many years support the raids. Oh, and f*** anyone who comes here to rant about whites who are actually SA NATIONALS who continue to contribute positively to the growth and development of THEIR country and have never been caught selling drugs or turning 12yo into sex slave!

• A Real Nigerian

February 19, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Apt. ?

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Tell them.I saw people demonstrating in China about the arrest of their friends and families.Funny thing they all claim the Chinese ha ‘razist and hate black.Nobody could answer why their friends were arrested and not the thousands of traders in Ghouanjhou.

9. Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 10:38 am

Stop kidnapping their young girls,as young as 9 , and giving them drugs then forcing them into prostitution.These animals spoil it for the good and hard working genuine Nigerians found in every sector.Another thing stop with the housing scams.Bella naija you always have people going there and sending only the positive pictures.Now I dare you to send your journalist to ,Hilbrow,yeolville,rosettenvil,kempton park, Sunnyside etc .See what the ugly side of Nigerians is capable of.I dare anybody residing in SA to come and deny these facts

10. Kosi

February 19, 2017 at 11:05 am

You see, south Africans like to feel superior to Nigerians in terms of their level of development but the truth is, they’ve only come this far cos of the Europeans living there. This just goes to show that the blacks there still have a backwards mind set

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 11:28 am

Wait so only Europeans are capable of development ?Is this why black countries are underdeveloped?

• Authentic Sunshine

February 19, 2017 at 3:05 pm

To answer your question, yes only Europeans, Americans and any other ethnic group excluding Africans and Pakistans are capable of development. For illustration purposes, if you swap Nigerians or Gambians or any other African nationals to UK for example and transport all the English nationals to that country, come back 10 -20 years and you will be amazed at how capable we are of under developing. It’s our mindset. Greedy, selfish, anger, loud, overbearing, wantons, jealous, ….Grrrrhhhh

• IfyBEKE

February 20, 2017 at 12:18 am

• yoshimitsu

February 23, 2017 at 10:15 am

Good question

11. Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 11:29 am

BN where are my Truthful comments?

12. Tony

February 19, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Truly Africans are their own enemy. Look at South Africa where one would think they know better but continuously show hate against blacks who are contributing to their economy. Watching their fights in parliament clearly shows that the black man has a long way to go. We Africans are supposed to unite but what do we do? Destroy ourselves in South Africa, Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Zimbabwe and the list goes on and on. Yet prayer and fasting is our hubby with no true reflection of loving one and another.

• le coco

February 19, 2017 at 2:58 pm

You are spot on.. its trully sad… the drug Lords nd brothel owners wldnt thrive without support…
      I have seen this time nd time again… If u come to SA it’s just alcohol nd drugs.. Nd its not just foreigners..

Africans shld respect themselves… This violence is not acceptable.. face the drug lords nd brothels nd leave innocent shop owners trying to make a living

• Poison ivy

February 19, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Maybe western civilization was too much a burden for us.Maybe we could have built another civilization .

13. Tony

February 19, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Nigerians in Johannesburg are largely criminal. I was in Johannesburg two months ago for the first time on a business-related trip. I was staying at the African Pride by Marriot Hotel, Melrose Arch, because it was where my company checked me into. But it was too bourgeois for me. I grew up poor so I still feel comfortable in the ‘hood’. I wanted a taste of Jozi living in the less expensive areas.

At night, I wanted to sample the night life in the townships/ghetto, so I called an Uber and headed to Hillbrow. I had my Nigerian passport with me because from my past experiences on numerous international trips, it usually helps to have your passport with you at all times in case you are stopped by Police for any reason. Anyway, I went to nightclub in Hillbrow, and had a few drinks. When I was leaving the club, I searched my winter jacket only to discover that my Passport had been stolen by a group of wicked Nigerians who later approached me to demand for R5,000 before they released my passport back to me. This was an organized crime ring comprised of Nigerians who were actually extorting their own in a foreign country. I begged and pleaded with them to take R500 because it was all I had on me, but they refused to release my passport until I provided R5,000 or gave them my phone which had so many important documents. I was so upset; I had the money in my hotel room, but I hate being extorted. So I told them to keep the passport, and the next day I went to the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria and told them my passport was stolen. I got a travel document from the High commission which enabled me travel back to Nigeria where I got a new passport.

My point is, many Nigerians in South Africa are shady – and that’s why these South Africans are always doing nasty things to us.

14. Nakoms

February 19, 2017 at 4:24 pm

The Nigerians in south Africa who are into illegal businesses and giving the country a bad name should be fished out and dealt with summarily with all their assets confisticated.! This get rich by all means syndrome is truly out of this world! Tomorrow you will see them in their fairy tale weddings in BN and idiotic ignoramuses will be tapping into anointing they know nothing about.

Real, lasting wealth is not overnight it is truly self sustaining and if I may add enobling. Success from hard work has a rich fragrance that emanates as a result of the refinement it gives to the personality. Such characters abound here in nigeria but alas like the tue gem they are, rarely do you find them in the social media cesspool!

• le coco

February 19, 2017 at 5:14 pm

??

15. esteem

February 19, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Those bunch of mona-monkeys, children of slaves that calls themselves South Africans. I knew when mandela died he went along with your sanity that’s why you suddenly woke up to fight those that provided you with shelter and abode when her blacks were bn maltreated. I wouldn’t blame you(south Africans) i blame our leadership system if not, who would come begging to stay in a country where your colour means a great failure among creations? As far as am concern no culture or practices can invade ur land without your permission.

16. Billionaire in grace

February 20, 2017 at 7:11 am

I lives in SA and believe me nigerians dont have good reputation around here….imagine years back i was so surprised to see a male nigerian who was a student at the time.cos most of them are into businesses

17. yoshimitsu

February 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm

The righteousness of Nigerians in this site is amazing