News

“If I had wanted green card, I would have done it since” – Gbenro Ajibade

Gbenro & Osas Ajibade

Model and actor Gbenro Ajibade has said that his marriage to American returnee and actress Osas was not so that he could get his Green Card.

Gbenro and Osas got married in 2015, but in this interview with PUNCH‘s Saturday Beats, the actor said that they had gotten married at a U.S. Court 2 years before the public knew they were dating.

Gbenro said:

Right now, I have a bone to crack with her family because they think I am intentionally refusing to do my green card. I have not done it even now. It is funny how people think. I and Osas had been legally married in a court in the US two years even before the public knew we were going out. If I had wanted green card, I would have done it since but I felt it would be a distraction. I didn’t marry her because of that.

I was one of such persons who swore never to get married. I had an impression about marriage and love. It wasn’t up until I met the right person that the perception changed. Osas was my friend. The first time she came into the country, she even used to drop me off at my girlfriend’s house. We were that close up until the time we became really close. We had mutual interest and she had my back. Then, I had faced so many injuries from back stabbing and snitches. Our friendship is what has been keeping us going.

1. Iloku

March 4, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Who cares! He is the one talking about it and putting in out there in the universe.

• Amaka

March 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I did not know she had a green card and there was an issue. I beg your life is ahead of you. How many explanations you fit make. People of the world can turn you crazy, small time you will start to look older than your age.

2. Kosi

March 4, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Gbenro sweetie, no one cares.

• Anne

March 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm

What kind of picture posing is this.

3. zee

March 4, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Too much information!!

4. Giddygal

March 4, 2017 at 2:57 pm

The man doth protest too much.

5. Jade Edo babe

March 4, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Abeg, leave them alone na. Two people found each other, fell in love, married and have a baby now. They don’t owe anyone any explanation. I love them together, they seem very genuine. Please, keep that friendship going strong forever.
    Where can I find my own Gbenro?

• Paul Adeyemo

March 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm

A feminist looking for her own GBENRO, keep deceiving yourself. Hope you know how to cook.

• The truth

March 4, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Is that all you know? You keep looking for someone to cook for you. That you have to depend on another human being for what goes through your own body is just unfathomably stupid! Are you a baby? You no get hands Abi are you handicapped?
      One day woman go poison you! Mcheeww. It’s people like you that are the reason many women don’t want the stress of marriage these days. If you keep demanding something that both men and women do (Look up how many male Chefs there are around the world) lord knows that your demand will be endless as the type of guy that will never want to help out at home. It’s your type that I forbid for my friends and family. With all this your cooking demands you better know how to make millions in dollars as well to take care of your family. Rubbish. And no my comment is not about feminism. It is about couples learning to serve each other and not being one sided!

• Chief AKA Paul Adeyomo

March 4, 2017 at 5:33 pm

This fool Paul Adeyomo AKA Chief, how do you know she’s a feminist? The way you hate women, you must hate your mother

• Chief AKA Paul Adeyomo

March 4, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Mama Jade, now I’m coming to you. Don’t envy them oh! According to trusted sources, Osas isn’t happy at all! Gbenro is said to be super controlling and threatened by her success. You see her career has nosedived since she married him?
      Bellanaija just might not post any of my comments

6. Anon

March 4, 2017 at 3:16 pm

It’s never too late…

“Then, I had faced so many injuries from back stabbing and snitches.” Same old bitching.

7. somto

March 4, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Jane Edo babe. Be careful what u wish for cos sometimes all that glitters is just glitter

• Jade Edo babe

March 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Abeg leave me alone. All this unsolicited advice is so stupid and annoying. Who said I’m envious of their marriage. Can I just say something freely.
      And whose marriage is perfect, life is about challenges. The truth is, marriage/baby changes the dynamic of things. It’s difficult for osas to be acting in movies like when she was single. It depends on what people call controlling g

• Grace

March 6, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I love your name,my daughter’s name is jade and her father is edo!!?

8. Iyke

March 4, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Green Card!!What is Green Card?
    All these fears and doubts that a brother is marrying you because of paper or passport has honestly made some of our ladies in Europe and the states so lonely and confused…
    So because he doesn’t have papers means that his love isn’t real???? Then marry the one that has papers nahh so that we hear word.
    Come to London, andn NYC, they say there are no good men …then the ones from naija, they will say he is looking for papers.Who una wan marry nahh,??

• LemmeRant

March 4, 2017 at 4:14 pm

They can marry white men na….

Oh… I forgot.
      They don’t like white men either.

• Darius

March 4, 2017 at 8:21 pm

@Iyke, since London men and NYC men aren’t good enough and Naija guys are after papers, maybe they want to marry aliens from outer space.

• Dee

March 5, 2017 at 12:26 pm

In your mind now, you’ve cracked joke abi?

You with your double personality on this blog. Commenting as 2 different people depending on what topic it is. We see you.

9. Anon

March 4, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Did my comment fail to scale the filter?

Here it is again –

It’s never too late.

“I had faced so many injuries from back stabbing and snitches.” Still bi£$hing.

• hummm...

March 6, 2017 at 1:13 am

Patience! Patience! your comment is already up there. haba

10. KS

March 4, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Why is there so much of green card ( or lack of it) in this couple marital life? ? Looks like they didn’t actually marry for love but for papers. Because there are so many Nigerian couples with us/ uk/Canada passports without making it an issue in their love-life. Or is it just me alone wondring whether Osas is the only Nigerian with American passport?? Why does green card always creep up in any issues involving this couple?? Just pathetic!!!

• Manny

March 4, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Because people keep bringing it up and it’s not fair. So he defends himself.

11. Nene

March 4, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Ugh gbenro! You are fit! but the male equivalent of a dumb blonde. Be quiet!

12. Biglad

March 5, 2017 at 5:08 am

Green card doesn’t guarantee you success for people talking of green card like it’s a gold grail with this trump administration

13. Latifa

March 5, 2017 at 8:06 am

Ugh! Nigerian celebs needs to be groomed on how to answer interview questions, What a careless statement.

14. tolu

March 5, 2017 at 9:31 am

Dis gbenro get time sha! I was dating a girl with green card before i got married. Her family thought i was doing so in order to enter US. When she wanted to come and see me in naija she couldnt buy ticket cos she was a student with part time job. I had to send money to her. Her parents were shocked. When she got here i took her home and my parents en friends treated her so well. She called her mum how comfortable we are back home. I dont send her green card. I left her later cos of bad attitude. So nobe everybidy send greencard. Green card kor purple card wen u can make money here and go for vacation anywhere u like

15. Me2

March 5, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Green card is sooooo overrated. I’m still at a loss over the struggle to have one and how people act like once they have the green card all will fall in place.

16. BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE

March 6, 2017 at 12:56 pm

What can be “GREENER” and more beautiful(Animate or inanimate) than OSAS?