Scoop

“At this moment I am not proud to be a Nigerian” | Instagram User shares ugly experience with Nigerian Police

Instagram user @baggybaggz has accused the Nigerian Police of unjustly assaulting he and his friends on their way back from a wedding in Warri on Tuesday. He claimed the SARS arm of the Police attached to Okuovo Police Station detained he and his friends along with a few others and assaulted them without proof of any wrongdoing. Sharing some photos to corroborate his story, he said:

At this moment I AM NOT PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN, and we all are not anywhere near being safe with any of these so-called “law enforcement”. Please my experience below; I’m Damilola Adeyanju. On 13/04/2017 a couple of my friends and I travelled to Warri, Delta state for a family friend’s wedding to hold on the 15/04/2017. We decided to stay for some extra days after the wedding to have a feel of Delta state since we hardly leave Lagos normally, and so we left for Lag on 18/04/2017. That fateful morning around 6am, we (6 of us) got to Greener Line Park and chattered a 7 seater bus. At about 7:45am we took off, got to Sapele express by 8:30 thereabout, we got stopped by SARS officials for stop and search. We all came down and were searched. They then proceeded to our bags where they found a laptop belonging to one of us. They asked for the receipt and the owner told them he’s had it for years and doesn’t have it on him after which they grabbed his phone from him. Getting to me, I also had my laptop and they requested for the receipt as well, I said I don’t have it on me, then he (SARS guy) called one of his colleagues to take the laptop to their patrol pickup truck and told us to go stand by the truck. Another Greener Line bus was stopped and they alighted 4 other guys from it, told them to walk towards us and we all get into the back of the truck. We asked why and the SARS pilot shouted ‘obey before complain’. So they got in and drove us away. Bystanders quickly told the Greener Line drivers and the rest of my friends to go after us, because the so called SARS people could take us to a bush and probably shoot us and go with our belongings. Fortunately my phone was silent and undetected, so my friends were able to reach me and I quietly told them we were still on the same express. The drivers sped up and caught up with us. After driving for about 15mins, we eventually got to a police station (OKUOVO). The got us out of the truck, walked us into the station, pushed us forcefully behind the counter and told us to sit on the floor. While all these was happening we still didn’t know our offense.

The next thing we saw was them bringing out statement forms and called one of the other 4 guys to the front, stripped him off his shirt and was told to sit on the floor. The officer started asking the guy questions and writing the statement for the guy, and at some point started whipping him with wire. The guy’s back tore and started bleeding from the beating. Out of fear and pain the guy was saying different stories. I was just sitting on the floor looking at my friend like “o boy I no go take this beating oh, we go die here today if e touch me with that wire” Next thing the guy was cuffed and brought back behind the counter. I quickly sent my mom a text message to send me the Commissioner of Police for Lagos state’s number. She called and asked why, I stylishly picked and told her what was up. She panicked and I had to cut the call, she eventually sent the number but unfortunately myself and my friend were next. My friend was told to sit on the floor I was told to stand, it was two different officers interrogating us, the statement form was brought out and the officer insisted on writing my friend’s statement. My friend refused but was threatened so he had no choice but to sit back on the floor because they were armed. So I quickly grabbed the pen from the other officer that I was going to write mine myself. I was asked for my profession and all and I wrote it all down. I’m an Aqua-scaper (construction of aquariums and land scaping). They started asking who could identify my business and I should write the names of my clients, I’m like that has got nothing to do with what’s going on here… They asked for proof of my work I told them I have pictures on my phone showed them, even told them I just came back to Nigeria for this wedding that I’m undergoing a course in South Africa and I showed them proof and he was like they should cuff me, that I’m a cultist and my friend is a kidnapper. Long story short, we got handcuffed until my friends (the bride’s) mom came to our rescue. The cuffs were later taken off but then they said we were in possession of stolen phones and laptops that they won’t be given back to us until we provide the receipts.

I got angry and told him I will provide the receipt on the spot if he can provide that of his phone and he said I was very stupid to question an officer. My friends mom cried and begged but fell on deaf ears. I had sneaked the number my mom sent on a piece of paper and passed it to my friends outside. The “SARS” officials eventually drove off with the other cuffed boys still with our laptops and phones. I called the commissioner and he spoke to an officer of that police station (OKUOVO station) and the officer said he doesn’t know the officers that arrested us before he too ran away from the station on his okada, so it was just us left in an empty police station. We waited till about 6pm and eventually had to leave cos it was getting dark in the middle of nowhere. We went back to warri. On 19/04/2017, at about 6:05am we were back at the Greener Line park to get the bus to take us back to the OKUOVO police station, on getting there it was empty. We decided to head to the same spot we were stopped and eventually got to find them there looking for more preys. I got out of the bus, called the Assistant Commissioner of Police and approached BISHOP (that’s the only info I could get of him), the leader of the “SARS gang”. He said he didn’t want to talk to anybody and I delivered the message to the Commissioner. He heard me say that, grabbed the phone from me and cut the call. He slammed the phone on my chest and started pushing and kicking me, that I should leave. While walking away he came towards my back and hit me at the back of my head, as I turned to face him he began slapping me for no reason. At that point I had enough of it, I got angry and raised my hands in self defense to block the hits then I remembered he had a gun and just walked away. They eventually got some more innocent people to prey on and drove them to another police station (MOSOGAR) in Delta state. We drove behind them, on getting there I didn’t come down from the bus, my friends and the manager of Greener Line went in with them. They were asked to pay N80,000 before our phones and laptops were returned to us. THIS HAS TO STOP!!! Imagine how many innocent people have lost their lives

See more photos below:

Photo Credit: Instagram – @baggybagz

1. Ides of March

April 20, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Freaking criminals! Get their names and photos and give to the commissioner you know and also blast all over social media!

2. Baby gurl

April 20, 2017 at 11:17 pm

It is not news that at least 98.67% of the Nigerian Police Force are a useless bunch. And I didn’t just say that out of the blues. It’s fact. Two days ago I was stopped by a trio of hungry looking jackals calling themselves policemen, for beating the traffic light, which I didn’t (I passed at 3 seconds). I was called a prostitute by one of them after I politely insisted I did not beat the traffic light. Yeah, just like that trust me. I was dressed in a grey knee length dress with a very high neckline so if it was on the basis of indecency, he obviously had no right whatsoever to call me that. In fact no woman no matter what she puts on has to be called out in such derogatory term just because you see her driving a car or for whatever useless reason. I gave him a slap after that. I needed to express my anger one way or the other. I have been saying this for years, I firmly advocate a re-orientation from the top down to the very last rank of the Nigerian Police. In every nook and corner of Nigeria. I believe that they are more of a menace to Nigeria than thieves. Just read the story above and imagine the filth they dished out. This is utterly disgusting.

• Nunulicious

April 21, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Excuse me mah,
      You mean you gave a hungry looking man dressed in police uniform carrying a gun a slap?! Abi I didn’t read that right ni?
      Chai, which liver you chop abi which cream you use?
      Twale!!

• ugo

April 22, 2017 at 12:37 pm

We need more people with balls like you on our roads. Around my area,they constantly arrest dispatch riders for no reason. May God empower you to slap more as the need arises. God bless

3. Tumininu

April 20, 2017 at 11:59 pm

I thought sars are suppose to go after armed robbers not innocent young men. It is a crime to carry laptop. Na WA for Nigerian Police. They will never change. Police men and women at ikeji alongunder bridge, (, By the railway) also do. I’m not surprised. So any where we go with our laptop, we must carry receipt. Radarada. Terrible.

4. Ottawa Queen

April 21, 2017 at 2:02 am

Just imagine! So we are supposed to carry all our receipts for all our belongings anytime we go out? Receipt for our designer bags too. Lol!! I like the question he asked them, show your own receipts of your phones first! Thieves! God save us.

5. unadite

April 21, 2017 at 2:14 am

The mata tire me o. I felt raped when a similar incident happened to me recently. Any resistance can earn you a portfolio of being a murderer, yahoo yahoo,drug dealer all within 5 mins.

6. Eii

April 21, 2017 at 3:25 am

This is a freaking shame as the SARS unit of the Nigeria Police Force are the robbers terrorising Nigerians. It’s even more painful when you know someone they’ve hurt personally. Baggy,thank God you are still alive.

7. Mama

April 21, 2017 at 6:00 am

I wish someone high up there would take this up and ensure that those policemen are
    caught and punished. Bullies! If their pay isn’t enough they should go into a legit business in their spare time.

8. tolu

April 21, 2017 at 7:43 am

Everyday all i think of is how to relocate. Not bcos of money per se but everything is totally wrong here. No hidden place of course. No where is safe but nigeria is d worst country to stay. Haba. Av experienced dis. Once i get visa im off i dnt care….

9. Mummy Ade

April 21, 2017 at 8:18 am

All this police men, saw 2 at past 5pm stopping vehicles at Adeyemo Alakija road, just on your way to law school yesterday April 20

10. Alex

April 21, 2017 at 8:22 am

I was also ill treated by set of police in the same warri at PTI juction. I came down from keke to go cross to the other side of the road i was call upon by one of them. I gave my girlfriend my fone they search and could not find anything but my ID Cards and ATM. Am a student and also a photographer. I was ask question, i answered and they found no offence. They call upon my girlfriend and search her but also could not find anything they took my phone from her and search it all they could find was a paticular white man picture in my whatsapp as a profile picture of my friend. My phone was full with my picture and other wedding picture as sample of my work to customer. When they saw the picture they ask who owns the phone i answer it was me and they place my girfriend and i into the Hilux. They drove us to the police station at DSC roundabout. We got there, they strip me of my cloths and lock me along others. Without allowing me to make calls. They call my girlfriend to talk to her and told her to sleep with one of them so she can go home. She refuse and they brought her inside. They wrote the statement themselves that i was found with weed and my girfriend with 7 sim card. Yhey claim i was a criminal. The moment they were talking to her she silently called my brother. He came with my mum and simblings and also his lawyer. Almost 11:00pm before my girlfriend and i was release. I was arrested for no offence and was falsely accuse of something i have never smoke once all because i dress up really neat. They did all of this because they had the tought i was from a wealthy family. If not for God , my brother and the DPO i will have been in another situation. Warri is not even secured because of the fear of police and other force men. I know all what have written will only touch the heart of the good once but will never in a second be tought of by the people that can end all of this.

11. Dude

April 21, 2017 at 8:39 am

It’s only in Nigeria that if you’re seen with expensive phones and laptop, you’re a yahoo boy, or kidnapper, as this sars people said, it’s only in Nigeria you must have receipts for your gadgets years after purchasing it, i weep for this country. I’ve been harassed by these so called police in Lagos myself just for owning an iPhone. How i wish someone takes this up and ensures those sars officials are punished

12. john

April 21, 2017 at 8:58 am

I believe the people who says nigeria is a Zoo filled with baboons and monkeys..how I wish this country will be colonised by Britain again

13. Emeka Ugo

April 21, 2017 at 8:58 am

The Nigerian police working in the southern part of Nigeria are very wicked,heartless and deadly. Each time am in the east, I respect myself whenever I come in contact with them because they can easily shoot you and disappear. It’s hard as a young person to survive in this country. So your telling me now that I should carry receipts of laptop n mobile phone anytime am traveling by road. But one thing I keep saying is this even though am a yahoo yahoo guy( that is the mentality the have in the east) when the see any young guy with a laptop and expensive mobile device, I should be able to afford a flight ticket to travel anywhere am going to now. I remember a friend of mine telling me one day that the stopped him, took his phone, asked him to unlock it and started going through his messages and all. The inspector general of police needs to do something urgently about the crop of officers in the southern part of Nigeria.

14. adelegirl

April 21, 2017 at 8:59 am

SARS personnel are a law unto themselves. There is no difference between the way they dress and the way armed robbers and kidnappers dress. In fact some armed robbers and kidnappers have disguised as SARS operatives to carry out their operations. They usually don’t have their ID card visible. I am surprised the one pictured in this post even has his ID visible. Their savagery is legendary and they have been getting away with all sorts of extra-judicial killing. The Police Force knows this but does nothing. Their cup will soon be full.

15. Vee

April 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

This is soo rampant in warri, especially during the festive season. Young boys with ‘bigger’ phones and laptops are termed yahoo boys,even wearing those baseball cap can earn you a yahoo boy tag. These so called SARS also steal during their search,witnessed one,one cannot say anything cos they’re fully armed

16. Bennie

April 21, 2017 at 10:01 am

Thank God there are pictures, lets see what they have to say. we have so many criminals in uniform, imagine if you had nobody to bail you out
    God help us o. This is just too bad

17. Babycakes

April 21, 2017 at 10:22 am

Pleassee!! it’s not just the police, all of them are rogues..any uniform idiot you can think of. Customs, police, lastma, frsc, vio…. the other day frsc wasted my time cos i had the guts to tell him he is a liar. His colleague stopped the car in front of him, that one escaped.. so this officer just came from nowhere and started shouting that i wanted to escape. Then i looked in him in the face and told him i won’t tolerate lies, so he should not lie since he wasn’t there earlier to see what happened. Next thing he has my type at home, i shd go and talk to my house-boy like that at home, bla, bla….. He practically told me to park and delayed me like 30 mins till his oga came to ask me what happened and ordered him to let me go. Foolish people; all of them.

18. funmilola

April 21, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Any person in uniform in Nigeria is a lawless person and power drunk too….customs, navy, police, army, lastma, FRSC, Vio, nscdc…all of them!

19. Emma

April 21, 2017 at 1:40 pm

The best way to deal with situations like this is to institute a case against the police officers involved with the Nigerian Police Force as well as the Inspector General joined as Co-Defendants. The case can be brought under the Enforcement of Fundamental Human Rights. By the time they are hit with heavy costs/fines by the courts as a result of their actions, nobody will tell them to sit up. If we, as the citizens, are not willing to challenge these atrocities by our uniformed men, the status quo will still remain the same and they will continue to behave as if they are above the law.

20. Dianne Athan

April 22, 2017 at 9:15 am

I’m reading this in Queensland, Australia & I’m amazed at the victimization in Nigeria by Officers of the Law, that take an oath to protect its citizens. Unlawful conduct is a Criminal offence & the officers should be charged by a Court of Law & sentenced for their crimes against humanity. These innocent citizens suffer enough in a country full of corruption from the top to the bottom by Politicians, Law enforcement,,Armed Forces Personnel, Customs Officials & anyone else in authority that can steal from this country leaving their citizens without electricity & basic services due to non maintenance without the funds available to service them & randomly preying on the innocent to line their pockets & fuel their “Power Hungry” sadistic ego’s.. ‘Thou Shalt Not Steal’ is a Commandment of God, also ‘Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbour’.. Don’t any of these officers have a knowledge of God’s Law? Where is the.Love for fellow man!! When will this Evil behaviour all STOP!! The devil is alive in Nigeria. He has a hold over the Nation through Witchcraft & sin. All believers in Jesus must rise up & pray in unison to annihilate this filth, sent from the pits of Hell. Only fasting & prayer can release Nigeria from the Prince of Darkness controlling Principalities & Region’s & keeping this country bound in sin. I’m praying for you all from Australia to be released & set free. The Writer’s cry for Help! Has been heard across the Sea. Pray protection over yourself on a daily basis & for God’s angels to guard & protect you also.’ Jesus Loves You’

21. Funmi

April 23, 2017 at 12:00 am

I agree with Emma, take this up with the Nigerian Police because unless somebody do something this bad incident will continue to happen to innocent people.

22. Angel Nwafor Onovo

August 25, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Police is ur friend they said, but we all need to be more careful about people on uniform. No normal good police man will act in such a degrading manner. This case must be reported officially but my fear is, who will bell d cat?