News

#Justice4Chisom: How Mother of 2 Died During Childbirth at a Specialist Hospital in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Friends, colleagues and family members have taken to social media to demand for justice for one Chisom Anekwe who passed on at Magodo Specialist Hospital during childbirth.

They are demanding that the hospital be investigated and the federal government ensures that incidents like this do not occur again.

Here’s her story:

This is Chisom Anekwe (nee Okereke), a young, vivacious, graceful, kind-hearted and intelligent woman who had devoted her life to helping indigent kids and giving their lives a meaning. She’s an alumna of LEAP Africa.

Two weeks ago, precisely April 30th 2017, Chisom died under questionable circumstances at Magodo Specialist Hospital while trying to birth her third offspring. We believe strongly that the authorities need to ensure that lives are taken sacred in hospitals like Magodo Specialist Hospital where such avoidable deaths are recorded.

Chisom was admitted in the hospital four days before she got into labour. She already had two daughters birthed in the same hospital and was there to birth her third child, a son. While at the hospital, no one attended to her when she needed the help to be delivered of the long awaited baby. She was left for hours in labour. This happened until her husband created a scene, which eventually caused the doctors to go to her ward and on inspection they found out that the baby had struggled and died.

The husband at this point requested for a CS which he paid for and even signed the consent form presented by the hospital. He was then tricked out of the room to go prepare for blood transfusion and on getting back, he found out that the doctors had induced the wife and delivered the dead baby without operation not minding that the CS procedure had been paid for. This was also without his consent.

During the process of delivering the baby, the placenta got ruptured and the doctors left her like that, no further attendance still. Shortly after, the husband noticed she was swelling up in her stomach area and called the attention of the doctors who said they were getting ready for a surgery, a preparation that took longer than usual.

After waiting in vain for the surgical team, the frustrated husband went furiously to the reception to demand why they were wasting time only to discover the doctor had sneaked out of the hospital under funny pretences. At this point he got other hospital staff to wheel her out of the hospital and in that process Chisom died!

This is the story of most young women who die while giving birth as a result of the callousness, ignorance and carelessness of inexperienced doctors.

In this era, we shouldn’t be talking about Child and Maternal Mortality especially when it can be avoided. This could have been avoided but it wasn’t and now Chisom Jane Anekwe is a victim and has been added to the statistics.

We demand:

1. That Magodo Specialist Hospital, Shangisha, Lagos, be investigated for their actions and the subsequent death of Chisom.

2. That both the Nigerian Medical Association NMA and the Medical and Dentist Council of Nigeria, MDCN ensure that supposed Specialist Hospitals who claim to have a resident Gynecologist are verified.

3. That there be justice for Chisom!

#SaveTheNextVICTIM
#Justice4Chisom
#Fight4OurDaughters

1. Theresa Doghor

May 16, 2017 at 12:44 pm

It’s unacceptable.
    They must be investigated.

What kind of service is that? Even if they have forgotten the oath they took, should they also forget that they should give value for me even if it is health plan by office
    Did the office not pay you money?

Were you on strike?

• Ada_ugo

May 16, 2017 at 1:05 pm

even strike is not an excuse.

2. D.Melly

May 16, 2017 at 12:44 pm

gooooooooooosh, really a sad one. we lost someone in this same manner at EKO hospital at Abule bustop, Ikeja. Learnt that EKO has track record of unavoidable deaths as well…. now the budget has been released, the government and the relevant bodies need to curb these menace so we don’t keep losing precious lives… May her soul rest in perfect peace and God comfort her family.

• o

May 16, 2017 at 4:24 pm

IMO, Eko hospital is the most infamous for these deaths​ due to negligence. I wouldn’t take my dog there if I had one.

• Rio

May 17, 2017 at 12:56 am

My dear I lost my father 10years ago in Eko hospital due to doctors negligence. Most of these doctors dnt know anything. That was how a friend was prescribed drugs meant for epileptic patient when he wasn’t even epileptic and was not having seizure. You’ll see some doctors attending to patients with textbook. May God give her family fortitude to bear this irreplaceable loss.

3. Maky

May 16, 2017 at 12:46 pm

This is so painful. I hope that doctor pays for this. When I had my first baby the doctor was no where to be found. The midwives on duty took my the delivery. minutes after the baby was born, the doctor walked sleepily into the Labour room. Enough of all this nonsense. I think that hospital and doctor should be sued.

• Muse

May 16, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Suing doesn’t help, the judicial system is a huge mess, in fact every sector in this country is a mess.

Lagoon hospital Ikeja, destroyed a woman’s womb by “mistake”. The father of the woman sued them, they won the case, Lagoon was supposed to pay 50m in damages. Lagoon defied court orders, threatened to wipe him and his family off, father got scared and ” left it for God”. Sometimes, I wish I knew when all this was happening…

RIP Chisom.

4. SoniaPaloma

May 16, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Why is that hospital not being investigated and the staffs punished? better still why is that hospital still open?

Nigeria has failed its people and its citizen are not ready to take up action and call for justice hence we all dey do the ‘sit down look attitude’ while the country is going from worse to WORSE
    We are all too selfish in that damn country and everyone is only watching their back, it is high time we let the leaders know the country belong to us its citizen and fight for it but instead some of the youths are wasting their MB to be slay queen and king on Instagram all day

Abeg i tire, I am close to giving up on that country

5. Oluwaday

May 16, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Chisom was such an amazing lady. We called her Credible Chisom. We will miss you but you will never be forgotten. So sad. I am tired of this Mess.

6. Ada_ugo

May 16, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Oh no! The relevant health authorities and ministers need to investigate issues like these. And the health practitioners need to be held accountable. For how long would this persist in Nigeria? This same pathetic health care provision that is killing so many bright lights. for how long? for how long?
    for how long?
    may she RIP, and may God provide comfort to her own.

7. Lutte

May 16, 2017 at 1:05 pm

So sad. Kai this doctor must pay. It’s only in Africa you hear these kind of stories …why?? For how long?? May God console her family..

8. Moyo

May 16, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Wow, this is so sad. Makes me remember my mum who died in a hospital for a minor ailment. After she died the Medical director asked if I wanted an autopsy done. As if the autopsy will bring her back. I feel for this family. I hope they will get justice and it will bring closure for them. May God comfort her husband and the children. May her soul rest in peace. Why is there so much negligence in the health sector

• Ada_ugo

May 16, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I’m sorry about your mum

9. mama zee

May 16, 2017 at 1:13 pm

may her soul rest in the lords bossom. seriously our hospitals should be investigated cos alot like this happen every day. i lost my cousin to this same kind of issue and i almost lost my first daughter if other experienced doctors were not present. God help this country

10. LL

May 16, 2017 at 1:45 pm

i have cried and cried, i knew her, her daughter was in the same class with my daughter at school in Magodo, very lovely woman, that Magodo specialist must be seriously investigated, last year a pregnant friend of mine got infections from that same hospital, they are careless and must face justice.

11. @african_mommy

May 16, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Chisom’s story not only broke my heart, it made my blood boil. How is it that those who swear to protect lives have the least regards for it. Hospitals and Dr(s) need to understanding that they are providing a SERVICE to people and all these negligence needs to stop ‘yesterday’! As moms, we have to make it our business to ? out for one another. I can’t but think, if only Chisom knew of a previous mom’s experience at Magodo Specialist Hospital, may be she wouldn’t have gone there. #AfricanMommy

12. Saheed

May 16, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Exactly what happen to me last month hv accept my own faith

13. Bennie

May 16, 2017 at 2:25 pm

So sad, may her soul rest in peace. This truly must be investigated and not swept under the carpet

14. toto

May 16, 2017 at 2:30 pm

please God what kind of medical /health service do we have in this country? half baked doctors. Recently lost a school staff who wanted to put to bed at Gbagada General Hospital due to this doctors /midwives carelessness. both the mother and the baby were lost and they continue their normal work as if nothing happens. God will Judge ooooo.

15. toto

May 16, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Nigerian Doctors na wah o… that is how a doctor recently prescribed Coflin syrup for a 4 months old baby..its was later observed that the drug isn’t meant for such age. you can imagine.?

i don’t blame Buhari travelling out to treat ear infection, headache and stomach pain.
    but about people who cant afford it.

NIgeria Medical Association should see to this rate please.

16. Stuz

May 16, 2017 at 2:38 pm

This is so sad. may she rest in peace…
    Am tired of this country eziokwu.

17. kkay

May 16, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Oh my God! Pure evil in broad day light!
    Please, NMA and Ministry of Health should take up this case and ensure the doctors on duty or the hospital is prosecuted for *murder* not manslaughter.

May her soul and her son’s RIP.

18. Yagazie

May 16, 2017 at 3:19 pm

God Rest her soul. Some Medical practitioners are careless. My Husband who is a medical Doctor was admitted in one of the teaching hospitals.A particular injection was administered to him by the nurse who just finished her night duty but she didn’t document it.
    The nurse on duty in the morning came and wanted to give the same injection.My husband told her he had been given. My jaw dropped. I was lost for words. The overdose reaction would have cause another thing but God averted it.
    My heart goes out to this family.

• o

May 16, 2017 at 4:31 pm

In Nigerian hospitals you monitor your drugs yourself when on admission. Some night nurses don’t document, some don’t even dispense drugs as at when due. When I’m on admission, sometimes I’m the one reminding the night nurses that my drug was due at 10pm. Sometimes 11.30pm they haven’t given me. #thelifeofasicklecellwarrior

19. purplieciousbabe

May 16, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I am fuming!!!!
    I cant believe this…Gosh…
    OK the question is: why the hell do Nigeria hospitals not have assigned gynecologist that treats his pregnant patients?
    The whole system looks shit,,
    I am beginning to wonder everything is by ‘luck’. in niaj…
    The way they dealt with the lady is unprofessional!!!!!
    The worse part people have to deal with a loss that could easily be avoided..

So peed off

• purplieciousbabe

May 16, 2017 at 3:21 pm

THE DOCTOR IS EVIL……Not a doctor.

20. Tosin

May 16, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Oh God, what happened here?

21. jinkelele

May 16, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Connect the dots pp
    When corruption thrives and is celebrated under the guise tribal sentiments n politics institutions and systems that are needed to uphold the VALUE OF A NIGERIAN LIFE are starved of funds.
    What we then have is collateral damage like this

22. NG

May 16, 2017 at 4:23 pm

As unbelievable as the story sounds it is TRUE. I am yet to see any adult Nigerian that cannot tell a story of how their loves ones/ colleague/ friend died as a result of the negligence of doctors.

My own dear uncle died because the doctor horribly misdiagnosed his ailment. Terrible.
    Guess this was the same situation facing folks in America and Europe before medical malpractice lawsuits came to the rescue, although that too has created it’s own problems. But it is better the doctors are forced into overdrive on carefulness than this horrible carelessness without appropriate consequences.

Their professional body is obviously useless in the face of these cases…it is the same doctors manning their disciplinary committees after all.

• sharon

May 16, 2017 at 9:54 pm

This is really SICKNENING!! And you’re very right, malpractices need to start being addressed and doctors found guilty should be jailed and stripped off their license. My Dad is diabetic and he was given glucose at Golden Cross in festac, he went into a coma. By the Grace of God, my mum rushed him to another hospital, thats how we’d have lost him. RIP chisom. I hope you get justice from this sick country.

23. o

May 16, 2017 at 4:32 pm

So sad. Too many women dying at childbirth in Nigeria and it shouldn’t be so. I hope someone pays for this

24. 3ples

May 16, 2017 at 4:37 pm

They are always more focused on the money than saving lives… everything in Nigeria is about making money… service delivery doesn’t count. MONEY! MONEY!! MONEY!!!
    P.S: That hospital will remain open as long as the owner can grease the right palms. Look at Queens College for example…

25. Milly Milly (Mmiliaku)

May 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm

We need justice for Chisom!
    She was a dear friend, I’ve known her since nursery school.
    Her first daughter is my God daughter.
    She was so intelligent, an asset to the society.
    Very kind, humble and generous to a fault.
    Magodo Specialist Hospital must tell us what they did to Sommy.
    This is a tragedy, my heart felt condolence to the Okereke and Anekwe family.

Rest in perfect peace beautiful.
    I love you.

26. Hamdalat

May 16, 2017 at 5:18 pm

This is sad, so sad. Nothing works in this country, nothing! what is wrong with us?How farther are we to be pushed to act? The Nigerian youths are too docile, what is the point of the stupid education we all claim to have if we don’t stand up to protest against issues like this? I hate to say – like others this too shall be forgotten in a matter of days. The Nigerian civil servant/ worker needs to understand that they are being paid to render services, it doesn’t matter if you are a doctor or that your salary is in millions as far as you are being paid you are to render that service in the best possible way or be held accountable. The NMA should look into this, heck, the government needs to look into this and WE the people must not keep quiet NO.

27. funmilola

May 16, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I don’t blame people who travel abroad for medical care…. medical care in Nigeria is appalling!
    I pray God comfort’s her husband and children.

28. Mr. Collins

May 16, 2017 at 7:57 pm

You people keep talking. You know, a revolution will fix this and a host more. Simple solution. But you guys can keep talking. Aren’t you Nigerians again?

• combust

May 16, 2017 at 9:49 pm

You can say that again!!!

29. Just saying

May 16, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Most of the hospitals in this country are just death traps. When I was in surgery for the birth of my daughter the anesthesiologist was using a mobile phone in the operations theatre!! Obviously she was distracted and administered the wrong drugs ….adrenaline instead of effrevin……..my heart rate shot up! They rushed three drips into my body and keep calling me asking me to stay awake. I was just thinking that God if I die they will just lie that my body gave up and cover up their life threatening mistake……RIP chisom. Such a waste!

30. Angel

May 17, 2017 at 3:38 am

Why are people generalizing this? We still have very good doctors and yes, they are quacks too. What is the doctor ‘s side of the story? Why didn’t they go to a hospital with many specialists? Instead they chose a private clinic where you pay higher and have only one specialist attending! This Lady had 2 successful deliveries in this same place so what went wrong this time? I want a balanced story abegi

• EbonyFre

May 17, 2017 at 8:32 am

Gosh, don’t be so insensitive. Wow!

• sun shine

May 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Angel i’m very sure you won’t be spouting this trash if she was your relative. Let’s be sensitive here. A mother and a wife just died, a very avoidable death for that matter. Just because you have access to a keyboard or a phone doesn’t mean you just type anything that comes to your head.

31. eby

May 17, 2017 at 1:02 pm

While i agree to the above comments about negligence on the part of medical personnels which is not only restricted to Nigeria but can also be found all over the world,I would implore us to take a moment to ask questions before we bash our doctors.We should also do well to get information from all parties involved.Go deep into the medical history.Did she suffer from pre-eclampsia? What led to the death of the fetus? Was there really a case of ruptured placenta after the dead fetus was removed? or was it a case of Disseminated intravascular coagulation(DIC ) which can cause excessive hemorrhage?Note that DIC can be very fatal.Were there options presented to the couple e.g elective CS which they refused to oblige to? (Note that she was admitted 4 days prior to onset of labour,which points to the fact that there was a form of complication probably pre-eclampsia before birth).For the lady to have had two babies delivered successfully in same hospital what happened in this case?

32. mz_danielz

May 17, 2017 at 3:25 pm

In my mother’s voice ‘All my grandchildren will be born in U.SA, U.K or Canada’.

The woman is so insistent that none of her daughters/daughters-in-law give birth to their children in Nigeria. She says it will increase her prayer and fasting and would I blame her?

33. meedhe

May 17, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Its a sad event. But i still question why so long in labour? opt for cs cus it doesnt cause harm. Had my first thru cs and planning having this next one same method cus as far as am concern, its a bit safe.

34. dips

May 18, 2017 at 11:41 am

Nigerians!!!

We can so jump to conclusions. On top social media story. No verification or hearing the other side’s story. Typical jungle justice.

It is sad to lose a loved one…..and i understand that family members can become sentimental and look for who to blame for deaths…especially when it seems like there was some negligence. However, other parties should not join the band wagon and jump to conclusions. People need to ask relevant questions.

Is it not the same hospital she had her first two kids……according to the story. When did they suddenly become so bad to abandon a repeat patient?

I am sorry…..but there is more to what is in that story.

35. olawuyi mojisola

May 23, 2017 at 4:35 pm

HELLOOOOO……….. I HAD MY TWINS DELIVERED IN MAGODO SPECIALIST HOSPITAL, THEY WERE DELIVERED SAFELY , I WAS ANEAMIA PATIENT IN PREGNACY. MY BABIES WERE ALIFE UP TO DATE THEY WERE DOING GREAT. WITH THE HELP OF MAGODO SPECIALIST HOSPITAL I WAS ABLE TO DELIEVER MY TWINS WITHOUT PAYING ANY KOBO DURING MY TWINS DELIVERY …………..

36. PAN54 Digital

March 27, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Good Day – this is very sad and we wish Chisom’s husband, family and loved ones well. May her soul rest in perfect peace. PAN54 Digital is working with a high-powered NGO that seeks to bring more attention to and prevention of these kinds of avoidable deaths. To that end, we are seeking participants in a new documentary we are working on. Have you lost someone close to you during pregnancy or childbirth? Or lost a child within 42 days of birth? Please send us your contact details: [email protected]. Our objective is to help prevent this – just like you say: #SaveTheNextVICTIM #Justice4Chisom #Fight4OurDaughters #ownthenarrativenigeria #PAN54Digital