News

NYSC to Begin Posting of Corps Members to Farms – DG

BellaNaija.com

National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Coordinator in Ogun,Gladys Mbachi (L) and Director-General of the NYSC, Brig.-Gen. Suleiman Kazaure, inspecting a quarter guard by corps members during the visit of the Director-General to NYSC camp at Sagamu in Ogun.
02891/29/5/2017/TIMOTHY ADEOGODIRAN/BJO/NAN

Brig-Gen. Suleiman Kazaure, the Director General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), said on Monday that the scheme will start posting corps members to farms soon.

Kazaure said this in an interview with newsmen during his official visit to the NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp in Sagamu, Ogun.

He said that the move to deploy corps members in  farms  was in line with  the  agricultural development programme of the NYSC.

According to him, the NYSC has concluded preparations to begin the posting  at the conclusion of the three-week orientation exercise.

He said that Bauchi, Oyo, Kebbi and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, had been earmarked for the pilot phase.

“It should interest you to know that the NYSC will soon begin its agricultural development scheme where corps members will be posted to farms for their primary assignments.

Already the NYSC has acquired active farmlands across the nation’s geopolitical zones with four already fully operational in Kwali, Bauchi, Oyo and Kebbi.

After this orientation programme for the Batch ‘A’ corps members, we will begin posting some of them to these farms as a pilot phase. Though we are starting with four states for now, we will integrate the other states as time goes, the project is ongoing,” Kazaure said.

The NYSC boss had tasked the corps members not to seek white-collar jobs which were non-existent but rather develop their potentials for entrepreneurship excellence.

He said the corps members could begin their journey toward  financial independence by tapping into and maximising the benefits of the NYSC’s Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) Programme.

“The NYSC has provided all the tools and support you need to develop your capacity to the fullest, it now depends on you, there is no short cut to success but by hard work.

Of all the programmes outlined for you during the orientation, there is none more important that you must fully participate in than the SAED programme.

I want you to create your own jobs by being creative and innovative, you must strive to be labour employers rather than labour seekers. Please don’t look for white-collar jobs, your skills and potentials can serve you better in the way of realising your dreams,” he said.

Kazaure said that the SAED programme was made possible by partnership  with public and private sector organisations  to build entrepreneurial capacity.

1. ceejay

May 29, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Lobatan…yikena.

2. When

May 29, 2017 at 8:10 pm

???….

3. Lady d

May 29, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thank God am done with service cos am sure those of us that studied agric engineering will be the main target.

4. MrsO

May 29, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I think its a great idea. Agriculture should be encouraged

5. www.thelmathinks.com

May 29, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Good idea actually. Not everyone is going to work behind a desk or in entertainment. Besides, people are cashing out from their personal farms, so why not? This is way better than being posted to an office where all you do is sit beside the desk and stare at the clock, like I was. …A state House of Assembly where all that was done was sit, eat and gossip all day; legislators, staff and corpers alike. ?

However I wish they’d let those corpers interested in agriculture sign up for this, no sense in sending a future Chief Justice to a farm and vice versa.

• Mama

May 30, 2017 at 6:24 am

Honestly, you said it all. If the corp members are wise, they see this as a learning phase. I know people who leave the comfort of ‘the abroad’ to come try their hands on farming back home. They know what they are doing. I’m also giving it some thought so I wish I had the opportunity during service to learn the ropes.

The people laughing, I hope you don’t also eat food! ?

6. Teema

May 30, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I actually wouldn’t mind being posted to a farm. I loved agriculture in secondary school. I have already done NYSC though, mine was very boring, at one of those Federal institutes where nothing gets done. Basically spent the year doing other side hustles, since there was nothing to do at my PPA. I’m sure if I was on a farm, by now, I would have learned so much that would actually be useful. I’m interested in commercialising our numerous indigenous and unknown tropical fruits. Someone needs to do that!!!!

7. Nnomsie

May 30, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Wouldn’t have been a bad idea to be posted to a Farm – Large Mechanized Farm o as a graduate of Agric Economics who found herself in Bauchi instead of sitting around in those staff room teaching students who were more interested in getting married…..enjoyed my students tho.. taught them a lot and learnt a lot but redeployed when I thought of the future ahead