News

Pregnant 28-year old Student and her Lecturer in Paternity Scandal

BellaNaija.com

Dr Oluseyi Adu and Mosunmola | Photos via LinkeIn, Facebook and PUNCH

A lady identified simply as Mosunmola, 28, a Dental Nursing student at the Ogun State College of Health Technology, Ilese Ijebu, has accused one of her lecturers Dr Oluseyi Adu of impregnating her after he had sexual intercourse with her so she could pass his course.

Mosunmola, narrating her story to PUNCH, said they had sex in August 2016, adding that she is 38 weeks pregnant at the moment.

The lecturer who did not deny having sexual intercourse with the lady, however doubted that he is the father of the unborn child because, according to him, he used protection.

“Dr Adu is the Oral Health Coordinator for the college. During my three years study, he taught me two courses each semester. I have never failed his course.

When I got to second semester, 300 level, he awarded me 38 in one of his courses. I went to his office in August 2016 to know why I failed the course. I needed to pass all my courses to be able to go for my board exam.

He asked me if I thought I could just come to the school and go like that. He said if I dated him, he would waive the course. He said he didn’t approach me in 100 level because another lecturer was interested in dating me.

The lecturer he mentioned told me in 100 level that it was either I paid him money or used my body to pass his course. Because I didn’t agree, I failed his course. I didn’t pass it until I got to 300 level.

I told Adu that I would date him, but I didn’t want to have any problem, and he assured me that there would be no regret,” Mosunmola said.

She added that Dr. Adu took her to the Head of Department’s office where it was agreed that she could sit for the board exam.

Mosunmola said that she and other students took the exam at POGIL College of Health Technology, Oke-Eri, Ijebu Ode, on August 21, adding that Dr. Adu, who was among those on the panel, gave her some of his practical instruments and a laptop for safekeeping.

However, Mosunmola said when the school bus arrived to take the students back to the school, she forgot to give the practical instruments back to the lecturer.

She said Adu later called and asked her to bring the instruments to a hotel where he lodged.

“I was preparing to leave when he called me back that I would be sleeping over with him. I met him with another lecturer in my department. I observed that the lecturer also had a female student with him.#

From the hotel, we went to different places before we finally lodged in another hotel along Ilese Road. While I was with Adu in a room, my other classmate passed the night with the second lecturer in another room.

We had three rounds of sex. He didn’t release on time. He used two condoms for the first two rounds. The third round was, however, flesh-to-flesh. That was when he ejaculated inside me,” she narrated.

She added that things went south after she stopped seeing her monthly flow few weeks later. She said after experiencing the early signs of pregnancy, she went for a test and it came out positive.

She said when Dr. Adu heard the news, he reluctantly accepted responsibility, but allegedly gave her a drug, Eprostol, to abort the pregnancy.

“I refused to take the drug because the prescription was not from a medical doctor. He came down to my place to persuade me to take the drug, but I still refused. He asked me what I wanted and I told him that I needed to change my accommodation because the pregnancy was a shameful thing for me. He told me not to worry, that he would handle it. After that, we had sex,” she said, adding that “When he left that day, I could not find my phone again. By the time I got another phone and called him, he started acting funny. Sometime, he would just laugh at me.”

Mosunmola said that the HOD, Dean of the faculty, and the institution’s provost, who all attempted to mediate between she and Dr. Adu, were rebuffed by the lecturer.

She added that she took the case to the Human Rights Office of the Ogun State Ministry of Justice at Ijebu-Ode, where a lawyer, one Kolade, called the parties for a meeting.

She said that after the meeting, Dr. Adu agreed to pay N5,000 to her as feeding allowance every month, and N7,000 for her ante-natal registration.

She added that Dr. Adu only paid the said sum for 2 months and stopped.

They went back to the Human Rights Office to review the agreement, where Mosunmola presented a list of things she needed to get before giving birth. They amounted to N50,000 and Dr. Adu said he could only provide N30,000. Mosunmola said she refused.

“I didn’t have any accommodation and I couldn’t buy any of the drugs the doctors prescribed for me. I told him I would only manage the N50,000. He left in annoyance. Since March, the lawyer didn’t call us back and Adu refused to pay the N5,000 he used to give me every month. I called the lawyer late March and asked him to help me get the N30,000, but the lawyer said I should not call him again,” she said.

She said she reported the case to the Permanent Secretary, Ogun State Ministry of Health, where Adu also worked.

When results weren’t forthcoming, Mosunmola said she went to the college on April 13 when she knew Adu would be taking a class.

She alleged that the lecturer assaulted her when she pleaded with him for money.

She said some people intervened and she reported a case of assault to the police at the Ilese division, Ijebu Ode.

“I am now in my 38 weeks and anytime soon, I will have my child. I am an orphan and I don’t have any of my baby items ready. I am begging Nigerians to come to my rescue. I know I have made a mistake, but I need a second chance at life. I don’t have anywhere to go. It is a church that is accommodating me now,” she said.

Telling his own side of the story, Dr. Adu said:

She was one of my students; but on a personal level, I never knew her until after they released her final results and she failed some courses, including mine.

Her HOD asked her to come and ask me if I could waive the course for her. She called me on the phone and came to see me in the office. That was my first contact with this lady. When she made her request, I met her HOD who said I should assist her. He said even if I did, she might not sit for the board exam because of the other courses she failed. So, I passed her.

When they sat for the board exam, I was surprised to see her and I asked her HOD why she wrote the exam when she had other courses she failed. He said people begged for her.

After the board exam, she came to thank me for the assistance and she asked to carry my bag and the instruments I used to conduct the exam. By the time she was leaving, I collected my bag from her, but I forgot my instruments with her.

That day, I went to hang out with my friend at the pool of a hotel where we lodged. Suddenly, I remembered my instruments and I called her to keep them well. But she said she could come to where I was and she came. After dropping the instruments, she didn’t leave as I expected and I decided not to bother her.

We were together at the hotel till evening.  One thing led to the other. My brother, she slept in my room that night and we had (sexual) intercourse. This was a girl I never dated or had any relationship with.

He added that the following weekend, Mosunmola called to say she was pregnant, but later on said she was joking and only wanted to see how he would react.

He said he stopped responding to her calls afterwards until she sent him a text message saying the pregnancy had become real.

“I decided to travel down to Ijebu to see her. She brought out the test result and said I was responsible. I told her I used a condom and she couldn’t tell me that my condom burst. She said if I was afraid because I was married, I should not bother because the pregnancy actually belonged to her boyfriend and she merely wanted to see my reaction. I warned her and left.

The next time she called me, she said how would she take my pregnancy to her boyfriend, and that I should take responsibility for it. She said she would abort the pregnancy if I wanted her to, but I must rent a house for her in Ijebu Ode and then she described the kind of house she wanted.

When I heard that, I told her to do her worst, because it was obvious to me that she just wanted to blackmail me. She had been going round different places, telling people that I impregnated her. The question I ask is, did I rape her? Did I hypnotise her?  You came to meet me where I was and we had fun, and now you are pregnant, and you are telling me I am responsible for a pregnancy I am denying?” he said.

Dr. Adu said he reported himself to his wife first before Mosunmola could reach her, adding that he agreed to pay the N5,000 after much persuasion from the human rights lawyer.

He however said he regretted that decision because Mosunmola turned him to a “Cash Cow” after that time.

He said before Mosunmola could reach his wife, he quickly reported himself to her and begged for her forgiveness.

“When she brought the list for the baby things, I asked her, ‘Why are you making me as if I am the father of your baby? Am I your husband? She suddenly flared up and said I should even go away that she didn’t want anything from me again. She cursed me and after that encounter, I decided to stop giving her anything,” he added.

He said that when Mosunmola came to the school to meet him, she attacked him and was about stripping him naked until he forcefully got away from her. He added that the case at the police station had been thrown out after he told officers that she was the aggressor.

“People impregnate people and nothing happens. Why is she treating me as if I had done something criminal? The worst that will happen now is for me to die. I am not a young man; if I die, people will cry and I will be done. But I also ask myself, what if the pregnancy is mine? My prayer now is for her to deliver safely and we will determine the paternity of the child,” he said.

1. Darius

May 22, 2017 at 6:46 am

Look at his face! It’s only in a hellhole of a country like Nigeria will a thing like this happen. This man should be in jail.

I hate it when people don’t show remorse when they do wrong. He should be prosecuted for rape – for using his position to get sexual favours.

She needs to take this matter to the school’s senate. That’s the only place she’ll get redress.

• Jokobaba

May 22, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I cant imagine what women go through in this world because of men with uncontrolled libido. Harassment at school, work, religious houses, everywhere… sigh.

2. Serene

May 22, 2017 at 7:34 am

You would lose your job, Mr. Lecturer. You should not be sleeping with your student for any reason

3. john

May 22, 2017 at 7:51 am

I kinda believe her even though I know she must have exaggerated some parts but …seriously, every lecturer in Nigeria should be sacked from A to Z….and replace with new ones( who will be sacked again if they misbehave till we get it right)….the kind of demi- god they form around students is too much …I pity any student especially female in a Nigerian University, I just pity them. Nigerian lecturers, the worst set of people u can meet , they are even worse than Nigerian police

4. Fifi

May 22, 2017 at 7:53 am

See the dirty looking pig of a man with his smelling mouth, i hope he no longer has a job. As for you madam pregnant student, you are calling on Nigerians to do what exactly? When you were going 3 rounds you didn’t remember postinor? A grown ass woman like you… let me go and have my morning tea cant deal with this nonsense

• Olusola

May 23, 2017 at 11:23 am

His license can’t be seized she supposed used her brain

5. Spunky

May 22, 2017 at 7:56 am

You both are messed up.

6. Annonymous

May 22, 2017 at 8:17 am

Normally I would have joined the bandwagon of ‘why sleep with your lecturer for grades’ but I know better I too was a victim. I wasn’t the best of students but I studied and scaled through my courses but for a particular course I failed and dreaded re taking till my finals. I took it again and failed which meant an extra year for me. The lecturer handling the course was on leave so another was reassigned. I wrote that course and passed it but the lecturer asked for me telling me I failed it. Asked that I come and see my script on getting there it happened it was his house. I went in and demanded to see my script, he said he submitted them to the department for remarking but that he can influence it if only I sleep with him. I was mad,he calmly told me it was an option either that or I go home. I thought of spending another year and I went for it (with protection) he even jested saying it’s like I’m good @ this for insisting on using protection. Then something crazy happened a lady that works in my department saw my script and told me she knew I would pass and that I made a B. He had submitted the scripts and grades to the HOD since he was assigned temporarily to handle the course. The results came out and I had a B, he fooled me. I couldn’t sleep and I didn’t want to take it up it was shameful. I told a close male friend of mine and the guy took it personal. He paid some boys and they broke his front and back car screens and slashed his tires and took his battery. The whole department was buzzing cos of the incident. I was scared they’d find out but they never did and for the longest time the idiot lecturer walked all over campus and out on foot. Fast forward to last year when I took IELTS and knew I did very well but my results were average I paid for a remark and my grades shot up. I know better now always work hard and never second guess yourself and you won’t be this kind of victim and lastly if a lecturer gives you this option Fuck him up with hard evidence.

7. Bleed Blue

May 22, 2017 at 8:27 am

In all of this mess, an innocent child will soon be born.

I’m just hoping for some form of love and stability in the child’s life.
    If not, the cycle of madness will be given room to continue.

8. Elle

May 22, 2017 at 8:28 am

What a shame. Unfortunately this is the reality of Nigerian education where dirty lecturers get away with anything. Mr lecturer in case you don’t know what you did is criminal and in saner climes you will be sacked and locked up in a maximum security penitentiary. But then we are in Nigeria.

I wish the lady safe delivery and pray God helps you to get the finances you need and not go back to your immoral ways again.

What a shame!

9. Bea

May 22, 2017 at 10:07 am

The Lecturer is definately lieing. Its a pity the student is an orphan because it wont be easy nurturing a child alone. She obviously enjoyed the initial sex to the extent of sleeping with the guy again after finding out she was pregnant. I hope she has learnt her lessons.
    Vulnerable people like this should please not be gullible.
    I have a friend who till date regrets a similar action. She is an orphan and has a child for a married so called Pastor.
    To be forewarned is to be forearmed

10. mz_danielz

May 22, 2017 at 10:19 am

This lecturer is disgusting to be honest.

But babes oh, as a nursing student you for just take morning after pills na. I’m not blaming you but honestly, you wouldn’t want to risk having a connection/remembrance to this nonsense hence the pills.

God save our universities,

11. Correct babe

May 22, 2017 at 11:26 am

What d student narrated so far is d truth though she has her own fault anyway but it’s rather unfortunate that things should end up this way. I know none of d characters involved but I work in same Institutition though located in delta state. Lecturers are d same ten and ten pence with d exception of a very few minority. In d institution I work, dis act is very common among d lecturers and even worse acts. If only students are smart enough to set up d lecturers and rope them in, this acts would gradually come to an end but most times out of fear they give in to d lecturers. It’s really so sad!

12. jinkelele

May 22, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Her story no pure

If they had unprotected sex y didn’t she use morning after pill.
    Cos from her tale he didn’t make her having sex with him a prerequisite for taking her exam.
    She had that course waived and sat for board exam before they ever slept together

13. Mr Gafar

May 22, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Hi ,everyone am writing this to everyone who have been saying one or two things concerning this matter. I graduated from this school last year and I know this Man (Dr Adu) very well ,very calm,composed, it is just so unfortunate the things went another way .The lady might behave been indulging in this act and have been scaling through. Now everything went as not plans for both parties she is now crying . well am not encouraging this Act .but for the sake of humanity Let us reduce the leave of abuse on this Lecturer (Dr Abu) .God will help both of them .Thanks from Mr GAFAR.

• Ajala & Foodie

May 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm

@ Mr. Gafar, I am trying really hard understanding what you wrote or should I say trying to deduce the point you are trying to make. I get that you went to said school and as such know said “Dr” but pray tell what has “calm and composed” got to do with the crime he committed??? In case your education did not make this known to you: His requesting sexual favors from his student (s) is an abuse of power AND A CRIMINAL act. Even if said woman gave in, in a bid NOT to fail (I.e your definition of being a willing participant), it is still considered rape.

As long as he was her lecturer a sexual relationship is a NO NO!!! Even if said woman offered herself like Potiphar ‘s wife, he should have fled like Joseph. That we here having to educated a so called “educated” adult man about this just shows the state of our Nation. This is what people mean when they say we have a rape culture. He is calm and composed my back side!!!! Like that got anything to do with his crime.

14. Shalewa

May 22, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I know that I may be the outlier here but in honesty, the girl did not try at all. No use blaming the lecturer solely. In this day and age of women speaking out, female emancipation, free legal aid for sexual harassment etc…. she did not have to sleep with Mr. Lecturer at all. She should snap off her pity party, admit her wrong doing and move on with life.

15. Olusola

May 23, 2017 at 11:16 am

Good morning house am not in support of this act but this issue I know the lady and the lecturer very well, THIS ARE THE YOU SHOULD TAKE, 1) he never had sex with her when she was in school even after asking her out, he passed her, out he passed her because she was in her final year and she’s needs to pass, take note she said that he has never failed her before, and before you can write board exam in Health school u must have scape through school exam, she’s already a graduate cos for her to go and sit for board exam, 2) He gave her his laptop and instrument which they use in conducting board exam she handover only laptop without handing over instrument,3) he now called u that my instrument the lady sed he will come and give him at the hotel he lodged that faithful day why can’t she hand over it the following day, 4) she stay with him at the hotel and told him u r about to go and he forward it to her that lets have sex and the lady concur, to the extent of going to 3 rounds which means she enjoy the sex. That faithful day she can just drop the instrument and leave. 5) ones u are writing board exam you are no longer a student of that school, which means she is no more Adu student