News

Strong Woman! Ruby Suze shares her Mental Health Story

BN TV

Vlogger Ruby Suze shares her mental healthy story in her new video.

She said;

This video was recorded at The Breaking The Stigma_Mental Health Event on 9th April 2017.

I share my journey through infertility challenges, marriage challenges and motherhood and how these pressures may have contributed to the mental meltdown in June 2016. I’m in a much better place now, thanks to counselling and taking appropriate care of myself.

This is mental health week and I felt led to share the challenges I’ve experienced with my mental health. Never intended for things to get this deep on my channel but, I strongly believe that the experiences we have are never just our own…they are always meant for someone else.

I suffered a mental meltdown in June 2016 and this video is a snapshot of how I felt before the actual meltdown occurred. My next video will explain my whole journey. You can also read my whole story on: afrogirlfitness.com/postnatal-depression.

If you are watching this and feeling the same way I did, firstly I want to say well done…the fact that you are watching this means that you are looking for help and that isn’t always easy to do. Secondly, I want you to pick up the phone and call a doctor or a friend who can call the doctor for you. Get the help you need, you will feel better in the end.

Watch

1. C

May 12, 2017 at 3:19 am

I’m glad she’s feeling better life is too much of a beautiful thing to waste. I had a total meltdown myself and just shut everyone out but coming out of it has been such a blessing. Can totally relate. I now have lens of gratitude everyday 🙂

• RubySuze

May 12, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I’m so glad that you recovered. It’s not an easy thing to do. Having a grateful heart, certainly does help.

2. Nikki

May 12, 2017 at 8:28 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing hon. Mental illness is real but mocked in the Nigerian and religious setting. We need to talk more about it openly. Not just postnatal depression but bipolar and schizophrenia and general depression.

• RubySuze

May 12, 2017 at 8:17 pm

You’re most welcome. We need to open up a dialogue – absolutely.

3. Moniker

May 12, 2017 at 9:40 am

Glad to see that you are on your way to full recovery. From a survivor, please know that depression is curable, you will be better-though it takes mindfulness, determination to get better, medical help (therapy) but you will get better and no, you are not crazy. Women need to talk about post natal depression more, health care givers needs to be given more training on how to monitor and recognize it in new moms and the society need to de-stigmatise mental health. Like I always say Post natal depression is just one of the many complications of the birth process that can happen to a woman-like miscarriage, still birth, high bp, gestational diabetes, hypertension and the list goes on-post natal depression is not any different. I am a survivor and I wear my experience like a badge.

• Mlw

May 12, 2017 at 10:35 am

Can I get in touch ?

• Mlw

May 12, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Can I get in touch?

• RubySuze

May 12, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Moniker, I absolutely love your boldness. Thank you for saying ‘I wear it like a badge’. That’s so powerful. Every pain we experience is a badge, an honor, it’s proof that we are made of good stuff.

4. Moniker

May 12, 2017 at 12:43 pm

@Mlw, your comment is not directed at anyone-however if you need someone to talk to you can drop your email address and I will contact you. One love.

• Mlw

May 12, 2017 at 6:06 pm

@moniker sorry for not making it clear. It was for you . My email is [email protected]. hope to hear from you. I would love to hear how you managed to recover, my depression started 4 years back, tried all Meds but it still hasn’t gone

• Marymanga

May 12, 2017 at 6:20 pm

5. Arike

May 12, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I can relate to this… though under different circumstances.
    My husband of 5 months has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Our lives suddenly has turned upside down, its the hardest thing, I won’t even wish on my enemy. He was the best, all of a sudden, I’m wondering who I married.
    He’s on meds but it’s proving hard to treat. Nothing to add but just to say mental illness is tough, I’m glad you overcame!
    Please pray for my husband, and me.

• RubySuze

May 12, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Arike, you are doing incredibly well. There are many women who would have run away at the first sign of illness. Well done. It’s must be like someone has swapped your fairytale and left you with what can only be described as a nightmare.

Father, I pray for your daughter. Daddy, this is hurting her. This is a huge shock and surprise to her and her husband. It’s knocked the wind out of their sails and brought them to a place of complete disillusionment. Firstly, I pray Daddy that you will remind them that you LOVE them. That you have a special plan for them. Daddy, will you silence every lie of the enemy and every individual who wants to speak words of condemnation. I pray that your booming voice of grace and love will be ringing through the ears of Arike and her husband.

I pray that you will hold the heart of Arike’s husband in your hand. You will envelope him. Heal him. Touch him. Reach him. Surround him with medical professionals that will not just treat the body, but also the mind and the spirit. You will give them wisdom. If there be any unresolved heart or pain, touch it Lord and restore him completely.

Let Arike not lose hope in you. Let her faith be strengthened as she pours out the pain of her soul before you. May her strength and hope be renewed as she walks through this time with you.