News

British-Nigerian Wins Seat at UK General Elections

BellaNaija.com

Chinyelu Susan “Chi” Onwurah, a British-born Nigerian, on Thursday won the Newcastle Central seat at the UK general elections, BBC reports.

“I want to thank everyone who voted for me, for the trust and confidence they have placed in me,” Onwurah, who has been a Member of Parliament since 2010 said.

Onwurah, whose father is Nigerian, was born in Newscastle on the 12th of April, 1965.

Her parents had returned to Awka, Nigeria, when she was still a baby, but her mother moved back to Newcastle with her when she was two because of the Biafra war.

Her father stayed back to join the Biafran Army.

“It is an incredible honour and privilege,” Chi Onwurah said concerning her election.

“I also want to thank everyone who voted – whoever they voted for – because voting and democracy are so important.”

Photo Credit: Chi Onwurah

1. kellyfbaby

June 9, 2017 at 1:01 pm

The question is does she identify herself as british -nigerian?

• Mz Socially Awkward....

June 9, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Maybe because she identifies equally with both sides of her ancestry?

I’ve heard her speak and she’s maintained her connection with Nigeria, even working there at one point in her adult life. When I listened to her, she was sharing career experiences (she’s an Engineer by profession) and being involved in the initial phases of building the existing telecoms network for MTN Nigeria, a job that took her around the country and exposed her to the social benefits those services were bringing to so many remote areas.

And she also shared her own personal journey about her father’s disappointment in her choice to study engineering instead of medicine but how, 20 years later, she had the unique privilege of handing her father a mobile phone in the East after the MTN network was finally completed and hearing him proudly declare to her that she’d made the right decision.

Sounds like she still had a typical Naija upbringing, regardless of the British half of her. 🙂

(And B.N, please note that she did not “win” her seat. She held her existing seat as the current MP for Newcastle Central and even increased her majority. I know it may not be Naija news and so falls down the list of importance but, please and as so many have asked of you in the past, try and put a little more effort into your reporting).

• Brainstorm

June 9, 2017 at 3:36 pm

@Mz Socially Awkward, technically she won the seat, albeit again. But I get what you were trying to say though. BN should have pointed it out (maybe they didn’t know), hence the need to “put more effort into (their) reporting”.

2. Tunde

June 9, 2017 at 1:11 pm

You need to pint out that this is not Chi’s 1st term as an MP representing Newcastle constituency.

3. The Real Oma

June 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Congrats lady!

4. Anon

June 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Fiona Onasanya also won. I haven’t seen her pic yet. Don’t know if she is mixed or she identifies herself with Nigeria. I believe once they run for politics outside Nigeria. Their loyalty is to the country they run in. Well, congrats to them all.

5. Shey gal

June 9, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Congrats to her. This will be me in some years time.

6. Temi

June 9, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Congrats…. Madam… I would never have guessed she is 52.. she looks much older and mature for her age.. Blessings…

7. Don Mba

June 9, 2017 at 1:51 pm

congrats ada Igbo

8. Funms

June 9, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Kemi Badenoch also won, She might not identify as Nigerian anymore but she was my junior in secondary school. Cograts to all!

• MissB

June 9, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Why would you think “she may not identify as Nigerian anymore”? Just because BellaNaija didn’t do the needful research doesn’t mean the other candidates no longer identify as “Nigerian”.

• Funms

June 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Actually, being Nigerian and not identifying as one is not a bad thing, in my opinion (note I said my opinion). I only wrote because the first comment I saw up there was a question on nationality. Also using “might” does not mean I’m being categorical in my comment. Thank you.

• Funlola

June 9, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Thanks Funms! Kemi is my big sister, and she CERTAINLY identifies as a Nigerian. Always has, and always will.

• Funms

June 9, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Fantastic Funlola! I heard about her success on a sch forum. It made everyone proud! Well done to her again.

• Ify

June 9, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I guess you went to ISL ?

9. Becca

June 9, 2017 at 4:08 pm

BN – she got re-elected!
    She’s been an MP since 2010 so you’re 7yrs late with your news.