Scoop

FIN Founder Lola Omolola Meets Mark Zuckerberg, to Attend Facebook Communities Summit

BellaNaija.com

Mark Zuckerberg and FIN Founder Lola Omolola | Facebook.com/zuck

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg who has been meeting with different group admins that created meaningful communities on the platform, met with the Chicago-based Nigerian, Lola Omolola who founded the popular group Female In Nigeria (FIN).

The secret Facebook group which has over one million members (FINsters) is a platform where Nigerian females are allowed to be themselves without shame. It is a group for women to discuss everything; from marriage to career to sex and health issues amongst others.

The group has zero tolerance for judging or insults as it is solely meant to uplift one another.

Mark, who will be having the first ever Facebook Communities Summit with a few hundred top admins later this month in Chicago, shared a photo from his meeting with Lola.

“This summit will be the next chapter and we’ll discuss more of what we’re building to empower community leaders to bring the world closer together,” he wrote.

He added:

Over the past few weeks I’ve been meeting group admins across the country who are building meaningful communities on Facebook and will be at the summit. This photo is with Lola, who lives in Chicago and is originally from Nigeria. Two years ago, she founded a secret Facebook group called Female IN, or FIN. It’s a no-judgment space where more than a million women come to talk about everything from marriage and sex to health issues and work problems – and it’s helping end the culture of silence that exists for women in some parts of the world.

I’m looking forward to meeting more admins like Lola and talking about how we can help them do even more to build community. I’ll share more info on the summit as we get closer, and I’ll stream the event live from my profile later this month.

Lola also responded to Mark’s post, acknowledging his “relentless drive to connect our world”. She wrote:

Thank you so much Mark for this honorable mention.

Were it not for your relentless drive to connect our world and your assembly of the brightest minds in the universe to bring this dream to life, FIN would not have been probable.

Certainly not at this scale.

I’m an ordinary woman from modest means and your vision; our shared vision to advance meaningful connection, is now helping women across the world to find our voices through FIN; our non-judgmental Facebook support group.

Thank you for helping me create the world I wish to live in and have my 8 and 10 year old inherit.

Your outstanding team at Facebook, our indefatigable admin team and my irrepressible FINsters make this all possible.

Thank you! and see you in Chicago.

Salut! ?

Photo Credit: Facebook.com/zuck

1. anonymous

June 7, 2017 at 1:11 pm

WOW!!!! Saw this and hd the rush… super proud of you Lola and what you do for us.

2. Bennie

June 7, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I see you sis!!!! this is lovely. Well done Lola

3. i love my husband

June 7, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I was added to the FIN group sometimes, after spending 2 days looking at posts and reading comments in the group, I decided to remove myself, because the group does not stand for anything, they support everything as long as its a woman, you are not allowed to speak negative of any post/woman, you have ti support the prostitutes, the ones that are dating another persons husband, the masturbators, etc. There was a post of a lady talking about how she enjoyed a one night stand with someones husband and i commented on my dissaproval of that and then i got an inbox message from a FIN admin that im not allowed to say someone is doing wrong that the group is to support women, and i was like wao!. In short, whether good or bad, you have no right to comment disapproval on the group. While I support a movement to support women, I also believe that we cant accept everything, you have to stand for something, you have to be able to look someone in the face and say NO, this is wrong, if you try to comment disapproval on a post in FIN, the FIN sisters will attack you enh and you even can lose your membership. So on that note, I left the group. I hope the FIN members will not come for me, this is just my observation of the group and I have a few friends that left the group cos of the same sentiment.

• jess

June 7, 2017 at 4:20 pm

There are lots of groups,blogs,seminars etc that do exactly what you stated above, go there, share your views. Somethings people just want to let it out, that’s all. This is what I believe this group is all about and they stated it there but No you still signed up. They made the group to keep out people like you. Don’t you get it? You are like the lady in a naked beach acting all surprised seeing naked people.

• Asa

June 7, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I understand you perfectly but I am also still on the group. Because the principle of “no disapproval” is teaching me one thing, to keep my condemnation to myself and look away when I don’t agree. When I see some posts on the page, I want to say “what the hell!” but the policy makes me hold my “what the hell” inside, encourages people to speak up without fear too and saves me the stress of saying something that is cutting.

I have also found more loving ways to speak on the group, when you see something you don’t like instead of saying tufiakwa, I could say “Sis, you may also want to consider doing it this way…” that is if you must say something. What they really frown on, is condemnation.

Again, different people have different senses of what is right and what is wrong; for me “having a child outside of wedlock is a no no”, naturally I would say to the woman, “ah ah now, why didn’t you guard against it?” but the mistake has been made, the child is out, we cannot stone her and telling her she was wrong will not help her. On the other hand, some other person might think having a child out of wedlock is very normal. If such a person sees my comment, world war 2 will start so how about i keep my disapproval to myself.

Someone may talk of being a lesbian, the whole issue sef irritates the hell out of me and I want to tell you hell is certain for you according to the bible but then as a Christian I know God determines who goes to hell not my opinion so I can unlook. Make a note of the person’s name and pray for the person.

• californiabawlar

June 7, 2017 at 4:49 pm

lol! Next time someone adds you and you want to leave, check the ‘prevent anyone from adding me to this group’ box. Voila! Problem solved. You may now continue on your lesbian-free non-promiscious Facebook experience,

• Ghostmode

June 7, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I think Asa sums it up nicely ! I am a silently member of the group and i can tell you that some post i read and I’m like what the hell did i just read but then i have decided to focus on the positive side of it all. I have seen women cry for help and they get the support they need from fellow women who reach out genuinely. I have seen women just let go of burdens and share experiences and connect with other women who say i know what you are going through. Experience about sexual abuse, domestic violence, absentee parents, depression etc!

The group has really shown me to be that most people don’t have a support system and to them they have finally found somewhere they can be heard and just let it all go. I must really commend Lola, she really is a strong woman through several adversaries she kept her vision and sticks to her rules!

Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook and same platform is used for good and evil but then do we say Facebook is bad?? Or say Mark Zuckerberg doesn’t stand for anything?? No!

For me i have decided to focus on the positive and reach out when i can! Any post that isn’t aligned with my values i just waka pass! Its pretty easy

• FIN Rules

June 7, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Lol. No one will come for you now! The whole point of FIN is to communicate to other women without rancor. But since you love to correct people so much I might as well ‘lecture’ you.
      Okay let me get this out of the way – in a support group, ignoring or ‘wakapassing’ as they say in FIN is NOT endorsement.
      They just simply state that if you don’t agree with a post, let it go! keep scrolling! They discuss a whole array of subjects and issues you can contribute to, learn from, and be entertained by.
      I am a believer, a christian in every way I can be, but FIN is not my house, my church, or even my immediate community, I am sure me letting someone share they story about their sexuality will not hand me a one way ticket to hell. In fact I have never felt any conviction to that end.
      You say FIN does not stand for anything but that they support everything as long as it’s a woman – my dear, that is self-contradictory! They stand for women! They let women tell their stories. Finito. No more. No less. It is not a group for teaching or instruction. They simply aim to listen and build kindred spirit.

Now, I have never seen a prostitute or someone sleeping with another mans husband post openly on there o! But even if I did I will wakaby… and I find it interesting that you include ‘masturbators’ in the same breath as this more ‘grievous sins’ … na wah o! You see how we can differ in drawing lines? Anyways as you are offended by sexual sins, I am terrible grammar. Note that I say terrible as in almost incomprehensible! However, one day, I was so irritated that I was about to comment and tell the young lady to face her education instead of seeking advice about boys. Then I saw an admin warning about no judgements especially on grammar (even the admin knew that story had serious k-leg! lol). The warning said something to the effect of the sister’s pain still being valid even though she couldn’t express herself properly. That was when my ‘no judging’ FIN light bulb finally went on! Most ‘corrections’ are to relieve our own conscience and pet peeves, and most times not useful! That day, I kept my thoughts to myself, did I die? nope! Did she get serious useful advice about the problem she was facing at the time? yes! Some people even inferred my thoughts but they followed the FIN guidelines and kept their words kind.

Have you heard of BABES REDEFINED? I am a member of that wonderful group. Things have slowed down now but that group is great in teaching and encouraging christian values for women, you should join. But guess what? there was a time we were always fighting, even over scriptural interpretation o! Everyday, na fight! You see, that’s what happens when you are ‘allowed to judge’. Let me set this scenario for you. Did you have sex before marriage? well some people didn’t. Did you abstain from sex before marriage? well, some people didn’t even kiss! Are you married? well, some people are devoting their entire lives to the Church – such a person can say “… you married people obviously couldn’t abstain and have no control over your flesh. Shebi Brother Paul said it is better to stay single”. So sister, I hope you see the point I’m trying to make. Someone will always be holier than you. You should reconsider rejoining the group at some point, someone may need your kind edifying words one day.

Finally, in the weirdest way, my biggest thing is how what I have seen on FIN is a microcosm of how we can achieve a better Nigeria. Apart from women going on to stand up for their rights outside of the webspace, people obey the rules because they are aware of the consequences – you get kicked out of the group! At least I know I did in the beginning. Then after a while I saw sense in the rules and I’m now a proponent. If we ever want to achieve a sane society in Nigeria, we need to have consequences for breaking rules, that is our biggest problem.

• ToLegit

July 2, 2017 at 12:37 am

Hmmn! I know that feeling, that urge to go this thing no good oh and so on. But it has a purpose, to give voice, not to judge and through this giving voice it has helped very genuine people, women who really needed help. I am inspired by the sisterhood and so confident of the support system.

4. Kili

June 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Go Go go Lola. I see u sis

5. Ever Green

June 7, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I see you, i hear you, three gbosa for my Lola Omolola and my fin ladies……….

6. alice

June 7, 2017 at 7:32 pm

FIN love….. i see you and hear u

7. Ajala & Foodie

June 7, 2017 at 8:04 pm

@ I love my husband, I see where you are coming from, I was recently added to the group by my sister and I mean recently as in 3 weeks ago. I had to call her at one point and ask why exactly she added me to the group. She explained, I am passionate about empowering the African woman and she felt I should see the comaraderie in this group and she then tagged me on a particular story (but since one of their rules is not sharing stories from the group outside the group, I will not be sharing the particular story). I have come to a realize that the purpose of this group or as you put it, what the group stands for, is giving every woman a platform to speak freely, I.e a voice regardless of their story without fear of judgement. That whether you realize it or not is a stand.

What we fail to understand is that for every decision or every position is always two sided. The positive edge is that there is a platform that gives all women a voice and the other side is even some of questionable characters also have a voice and I am not talking about homosexuals, or baby out of wedlock (that for me is one area while I may not understand, I have no problem not passing judgement, that one na between said people and God ) but the one where women are being emotionally abusive and manipulative are also allowed to speak or voice said views (yes, that was when I had to call my sis and asked why she added me).

It is just like God’s gift of free will to us, humans, Double edged!!!! I.e It is why evil remains in this world, because people choose to do evil. I.e God can’t just restrict things to only good choices and claim to give us free will. His hope is that we choose good but it does not mean people will not choose evil. That evil persists does not make God’s position on free will wrong or does not mean He approves of evil. The same goes for FIN, that the admins stand for voice for all women does not the admins approve of all the stories posted but as long as it falls within the guidelines given I can see why they would post them and that is a stand I can applaud!!!

8. Tosin

June 7, 2017 at 8:47 pm

and the scarf. 🙂

9. No Headaches Please

June 7, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Can someone add me to the FIN group? I promise to be on my best behavior. *puppy eyes

• MO

June 8, 2017 at 12:17 am

I can add you. Nothing interesting in the group. Just bunch of naija women looking for likes for their stupid posts. Somebody added me.

10. cocozee

June 8, 2017 at 1:58 am

FIN stands for nothing abeg. You can’t express your self and you are forced to act like kids. Whatever Lola says is final. Abeg I gladly left. A Million women without a mind of their own. Zombie saying nice things so as not to offend Lola.

• Ebony

June 8, 2017 at 9:00 pm

The tales of woe nkor?
      Sincerely, i see it becoming a cult,hence my exit, twice.

• Qute

October 10, 2017 at 7:46 am

Seriously? Like Lola is their queen or god. I was added 3 times by 3 different people so I’m now a silent member. A group that supports all a woman does and doesn’t care what the men need. In my opinion, that’s selfish.

11. Amiira

June 8, 2017 at 4:11 pm

FIN was whatit is in the beginning, the support group, the huge unbelievable support system, then came the ‘sharers’, the ‘tell-aq-tales’. Some people lost marriages and good relationships and even court cases to loud mouthed opinionists therein and i quickly ‘gave myself sense’ to become an observer. No one taught me to stop before i borrowed sense before i loose my children. The intent was right initially but some of us later got bored

12. teeetee

June 20, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Pls can someone add me up,i wish to join d fin group.

13. Bee

June 24, 2017 at 12:34 am

Good job and congrats to Lola and FIN members for such a wonderful recognition.
    Yes I was also added to the group then left then added again, tried to stay but couldn’t so left again,
    I love love love the support in the group but do we really live in a world where everyone is entitled to do whatsoever good or bad and be given a Weldone pat on the back? Do we really live in a world where it’s ok to knowingly do wrong as long as you come out to “confess ur sins or misdeeds on a platform”? I’m no judge or saint but I know it’s just not right.
    A group where a member comes to share how she had a dispute with her husband and she “opened” eye for him and showed him she “can be tough ” and all the members clapped for her and gave her “that’s right sis ” comments . A few members tried to say otherwise in a gentle manner and others came for them like lions. What’s that teaching pls?
    Or the ones who come to badmouth colleagues, Mils, etc on a public platform? It’s ok???? Ok I see ..,., it’s ok to that to other people cos they not in the group right but it’s not ok for people to do it to you coz u are a FIN member
    And lastly the group is about ” not judging ” but why do you go against that by throwing insults and being rude to people who don’t agree or want to be part of the group. ive seen it so often-