BN TV

Ice Cube cautions Bill Maher on His use of the N-Word | WATCH

BN TV

Talk show host Bill Maher was in the news last week for all the wrong reasons as he referred to Republican Senator Ben Sasse as “house [n-word]” during last week’s episode of “Real Time“. He has however apologized on last Friday’s episode of the show saying:

I did a bad thing. It doesn’t matter that it wasn’t said in malice, if it brought back pain to people. That’s why I apologize freely and I reiterate it tonight.

Veteran actor and filmmaker, Ice Cube was one of the guests on the show and he had some choice words for Maher.

Watch Ice Cube’s reaction below:

CNN Political Commentator, Symone D. Sanders who was also on the show chipped in her own opinion:

Video Credit: Twitter – @tommyxtopher

1. Andrew

June 10, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Word up Ice Cube!. Really respect what you said!. And to the sister that seconded your opinion.

• Sunshiney

June 10, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Thank you Ice for keeping it real. Bill Maher does not have a black pass and if a black person called him a cheap kike it would not be taken lightly…

2. Susie

June 10, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Great. Hopefully, Ice Cube & other black people will also stop using it as well rather than giving excuses about how Nigga is different from Nigger. If you call yourself a slave don’t weep when others help you by also calling you the same thing. I had a lengthy exchange with a guy when I complained about a video Toke did where she kept using the N word. Sad part is he thought it was something that showed he is cool!

• tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 2:39 pm

It’s for each individual black American to decide. Look, our people were not the ones demonized. Let them handle it as they see fit.

Someone no white people can’t use it. Neither can Africans or other non-white people. Just accept it as it is

• tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Like Ice Cube said, it was used as a weapon then. When black Americans use it, they use it as a tool. It’s a tool that can only be used by them. Just accept it. Don’t argue it. It wasn’t your ancestors that suffered, and its not you that is still suffering from the physical and mental effects of racism. Let us (Africans who don’t know and haven’t experienced it and definitely not as long as they have and continue to) not put mouth

• El Jefe

June 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm

My thoughts exactly. I’ve never really understood why black people think it’s OK to tag themselves as nigga while bringing down white people for using the same word. Some would argue that they don’t connote the same meaning. But then again a “nigger” is a “nigga”.

• lifeisbeautiful

June 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Right on my sister!

3. tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 2:45 pm

And also Bill Maher, accept that sometimes to black folks you do sound like a redneck, sorry like a racist, when making black jokes. Just accept that. It’s as though it is worse to be called a racist than it is to be one. Rather than evaluate what it is that you say or do that would make you appear racist to black folks, you’re already on the defensive. Like Bruh! It ain’t about your feelings. Ugh!

• californiabawlar

June 10, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Oh! I’ve always known Bill Maher was racist AF! My uncle loves him on some liberal activist bs and he brought up the fact that Bill has shenanigans with black prostitutes as defense…. I’m like errrr, so did slave masters, right? I’m glad the whole world is finally seeing Bill for who he is. In fact let me call my uncle to ‘greet’ him this beautiful afternoon.

4. Linda

June 10, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Bill Maher has a black pass just like Eminem. Conservatives want him off the sir. It will never happen . Dream on trump mutherfckers. He’s on permanently so all of you fox news watching trollops can dream on.

I like Bill Maher and he ll remain on air

5. lifeisbeautiful

June 10, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Stupidity! That’s why blacks can never progress as a race. Words sometimes have a way of penetrating into the psyche of an individual. Now I consider the N word a very powerful and disgusting word because it was used as a way to denigrate, suppress and oppress the black man for centuries. Now how the hell do u turn such an awful word to a positive??? How could I use that word towards my brother? No, no and no…I HATE that word. It’s just like Amber Rose calling the slut walk female empowerment and self love. What decent woman of character would allow herself to be called that. Same as what decent , intelligent self loving black man/woman allowed themselves to be called the N word by anyone? Just think about it.

• tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Good thing it’s not for you to decide.

With slutwalk I get it though. It is used only to insult women. So it’s taking it back and reframing it.

6. Susie

June 10, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Tunmi: “It wasn’t your ancestors who suffered” That is a blatant lie. I discovered from DNA tests that I have hundreds of very close African-American cousins (3rd cousins). After talks with my oldest relatives in our village I discovered that several of my ancestors were carried away as slaves- some even after slavery was officially banished!

So how have my ancestors “not suffered”? Was it not my African granduncles & aunties who were carried away to build America? Didn’t Africans in Congo have their limbs chopped off by King Leopold? Were our men not forced to fight in the World Wars, maimed & denied compensation? Were several of our women not raped? What are you talking about? Or don’t you know that Africans were also called Niggers by the colonizers? The fact that we don’t talk about what we’ve gone through daily doesn’t mean that we never suffered. There’s no excuse to use that horrible word.

• tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 4:54 pm

3rd cousins =/= you
      Also you’re not living with what they’re living with.
      By all means share what you’ve come to learn. Nigerian schools do a horrible job with history so please use BN as your forum.

But with the n-word, You don’t use it. But they (Black Americans) basically have owned the word now. It’s also similar to the Africans who apply for and earn a Rhodes Scholar. The founder and namesake would never have allowed for that.

Besides, it forces the United States to recall that horrible history which wasn’t that long ago

7. Susie

June 10, 2017 at 4:53 pm

LifeisBeautiful: Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree. I don’t know when it became fashionable to call yourself an insult. Ice Cube was literally part of a group calling itself NWA ie: niggas with an attitude but here he is crying that a white man used that same word. Oprah & so many older prominent blacks have complained bitterly about younger black celebrities using that word. But they insist on it. I watched an interview where 50 cent & co were adamant about using that word.

Imagine if instead of calling ourselves niggas we called ourselves kings, intellectuals, achievers, even ‘sir’ or ‘brother’ as we used to address each other during the civil rights/ independence struggle era. What a difference that would make in how we viewed ourselves & our progress! Interestingly, Jews are not calling themselves kikes & the Chinese are not singing songs addressing themselves as chinks. What at all is wrong with us & when will we learn?

• Mr.A

June 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm

You covered all bases my sister. Plain and simple. I have never been able to understand the flagrant use of the N-word by black american rappers who have such tremendous influence on black american culture. And also our nigerian rappers adopting it gradually too.

8. Max

June 10, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Whatever happened to “sticks and stones”?

9. Lliki

June 10, 2017 at 7:50 pm

I hate the n-word and I never use it.
    What surprises me most is how a lot of Nigerians of this generation like using it.

10. 2baba - Holy holy

June 10, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Respect to ice cube for your words. Bless

11. anna

June 11, 2017 at 8:32 am

In your house – you could call your little brother a stupid goat and be cool the next minute , but let the next door neighbor try the same thing- you will be upset at them for insulting your little brother. Why? I think this is the same reason why black people can call themselves the N word because we are not saying it in the same degrading way that white people did/do.. Even if they don’t mean it in “malice” – we can never erase the history of that word with white people -so they best stay away. White people want black people to stop using it too because they can’t use it. NO. You aren’t entitled to everything simply because you’re white and when you can’t have it then you want nobody else to have it. Nonsense.

• tunmi

June 11, 2017 at 3:25 pm

??????????
      If they (white people) can’t do something, no one else can.

12. anonymous

June 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm

African Americans kinda have an unwritten rule; only us can insult ourselves. They don’t affirm themselves in any way. Even their celebrated series propagate a stereotype; power, empire, scandal (Olivia is no role model abeg; talk about propagating the stereotype of unbalanced black females) etc. how about blacks extol the values they want people to respect them for.