News

Igbo Quit Notice: Northern Youth Leader Maintains Position, Says he’s Ready to Submit Self If Declared Wanted

Igbo Quit Notice: Northern Youths Leader Ready to Submit Self If Declared Wanted

Shettima Yerima

The leader of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, the coalition of Northern youth groups which gave Igbos in the region an ultimatum to leave before 1st of October 2017 has released a statement saying he isn’t on the run.

Shettima Yerima, in the interview with Punch said he didn’t go into hiding as no one is looking for him.

He has said that if he is declared wanted he will submit himself, and reiterated the position of the coalition, insisting on Igbos to leave the North.

“I did not go into hiding and will never go into hiding. We need to put the record straight. For now, nobody is looking for me and I am ready to submit myself if I am called. I am not a joker. Nobody is looking for me and I am not hiding anywhere from anybody. I am in my village, I am a Nigerian. If anybody looks for me, I will submit myself. I am not above the law. I am not on the run.

“Why should I go into hiding? I have a name, I have a face. I am not faceless.

“I am not hiding anywhere. Why should I hide? Where did I go wrong? Somebody wants to go and I said, ‘go, you’re free to go’. What is wrong about it?

“You cannot be in our country and begin to clamour for another country. Go to your place and declare your own country, not in my zone. It is a simple language. I have not committed any offence.

Photo Credit: Punch

1. Asa

June 28, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Someone is looking for hero status o!

2. Ugo

June 28, 2017 at 1:34 pm

“In your country” okwa ya? Na you get Nigeria Abi?

3. Baymax

June 28, 2017 at 2:33 pm

This one na youth?

• nene

June 28, 2017 at 3:52 pm

lol

• Smh

June 28, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Help me ask. This old man with nothing better to do looking for how to ruin this country. Pig

4. missnk

June 28, 2017 at 4:41 pm

so this old man is the youth leader?

5. Oyebimpe Peter Oluwaseun

June 28, 2017 at 5:17 pm

I think he is right somehow, when some people are shouting that they want to go and making trouble accusing and abusing the leaders of where they are, saying they don’t belong to that country anymore then some people now asked them to leave. Tell me who is wrong?

• nnenne

June 28, 2017 at 10:40 pm

As long as they will not use Igbo resources while they are gone. ..natural resources.
      Cut Igbos off and cut everything about them. There are seven Igbo states in Nigeria not five
      Remember, Chukwuma Nzeogwu was Igbo but not from today’s five igbo states. Just saying. ..

6. Paul Agim

June 28, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Plz Nigeria Security and Media,plz don’t give this gentleman relevance plz.Nnamdi Kanu Started this way before Baba Arrest him and now he is something else. Jux allow him na him go taya by himself. GOD bless and Unite Nigeria

7. Fatee Chukwuka

June 28, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Really, the government should bring this man in for trial abi arresting. Nnamdi Kanu started this way and now like play like joke, he has become one sort of messiah for them. Mr shettima, stop playing hero for us and go rest at home. I wonder what our arewa youths are thinking. This old man, youth leader? Open your eyes. this people are manipulating and using our feelings and sentiments for their own fame and popularity ehen. Nigerians! Let us Shine our eyes o

8. EO

June 28, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Just embrace peace for crying out loud. I have learned that in this world, being a pacifist is best for the sake of posterity.