News

This Facebook Post by Uche Nnaji has Got People Talking

BellaNaija.com

Fashion designer and entrepreneur Uche Nnaji of Ouch shared a post about one of his staff on Facebook and it has got people talking. He wrote:

So this morning I learnt one of our staff called yesterday morning to say she would be coming to work late and her reason???

She had to go for a church service on Monday morning .

Who do I get upset with…

1: The salary earning staff who would be quick to blaming and maybe insult the Nigerian govt for not providing jobs

2: The Pastor who asked or authorized people to be in church on a Monday morning ?

3: Religion that keeps killing BRAIN from the BLACK race?

4: The Nigerian family set-up that has not allowed YOUTHs to become completely independent at 25, so that they know nobody is there to pick their bills?

Here are some of the responses:

Share your thoughts.

1. Jen

June 20, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Smh! So the church service that you went to on Sunday wasn’t enough? But what Is with pastors puting service on a working day especially Monday.. you cannot even try that one here in London. They don’t care! Your ass is getting fired if you’ve done it on several occasions.. otherwise it’s a warning!

• Agu

June 20, 2017 at 6:14 pm

this why the westerners who introduce church to us are laughing at us. it was a total scam. the dont even take it that serious the way christians in Africa do.

2. Ewa

June 20, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Hmmm,,,,I leave this here. Let’s be wise.

Matthew 22:21 Jesus said “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and to God the things that are God’s.”
    Romans 13:1 “Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities.

3. wendy

June 20, 2017 at 5:39 pm

3: Religion that keeps killing BRAIN from the BLACK race?

Please dont categorize this. This should only apply to Nigerians or Africans. They take Christianity to the next level. that is why pastors will continue to exploit them.

• Agu

June 20, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Well said. such a thing like this will never happen i an advance country. primitive thinking by most Nigerian christians is the reason why this fake pastors in Nigeria always take advantage of them.

4. iyabo

June 20, 2017 at 5:42 pm

:.:…….what does the Bible say about shirking work, leaving your responsibilities for your work colleagues to deal with and expecting full salary at month end….

5. True

June 20, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Yeah, but before rushing to bash pastor and church, let it be known that such programmes were not organized solely for people who work in organisations etc. No one is compelled as attendance is by choice usually. Undergraduates on vacation, the unemployed, the sick that has appointment for surgery later in the week, ministers of the gospel, artisans, market women and traders also attend(and they usually have time) so blame the person that left her duties to attend such programmes, not the organisers.

• Agu

June 20, 2017 at 6:16 pm

its good to bash church and pastors because the have cultivated stupid ideology of people being too radical towards religion.

• newbie

June 20, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I agree with you. In my Catholic parish weekday masses are at 9.30am everyday. It is up to you whether or not you attend. I have never been, but should I ever have a strong urge to go, I would have to take the day- or at least the morning off. Out of my annual leave- it’s not even negotiable nor do I expect it to be.

• Ese V

June 21, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Yes, but the organisers also make you feel like a bad christian if you don’t attend. So many “miracles” and “prophecies” etc are tied to attending that weekday morning meeting.

Not only that, some ministers have culture of making the workplace seem like someplace you just go but is inferior to church.

What would help is if christians are taught to value their work. Yes, you may not like your job or your employer. But you are PAID to work. As a christian, give your best in the workplace afterall, that’s where your tithes and offerings come from, no?

6. Olanna&Odenigbo

June 20, 2017 at 6:27 pm

I’ve had two of these kinds of staff members….. it’s simple for me…at first I tolerated closing earlier for midwk service then I stopped it altogether when it started affecting productivity of the church goers and others. If you can’t practise your Christianity as you dispatch your responsibilities at work, pls let the church employ you. It’s really that simple.
    I don’t even bother explaining it again.

7. Ottawa Queen

June 20, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Hmm! But African’s tho!! That’s serious. Even 8-mins late from my clock-in time at work, I received 2 phone calls from my supervisor. Just imagine me telling him, I’m just coming from a church service. The way they all in the office will stare at me, as if I actually just came from Hell. You can’t try that here o! We all should learn to keep all private and personal issues away from work, except it concerns your health, where you formally take permission for lateness/leave or absence.

• Agbaani wify

June 21, 2017 at 1:41 am

Hahaha. You must be working at a medical facility.???????

8. Lol

June 20, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Blame the woman. Simple she’s an adult who saw going to church on a Monday was more important than church. Simple. No one forced her there. This is a in your opinion thing. For me my faith comes first actually no my relationship with God comes first. Nigerians confuse relationship and religion. But that’s another blog bost

• nene+

June 20, 2017 at 11:07 pm

There is a programme like that on first Monday of every month in RCCG. It was made so to dissuade people (only for people who need divine intervention) I remembered attending after I wrote JAMB, when I was about writing an aptitude test and when i wanted babies.Testimonies followed . it’s not a place you visit with triviality. I did during vacation.
      Christianity saved very hard working people like me. It is not laziness. However I do not subscribe to lazy staff who cover up with religion.

Good Christians are usually those who don’t show you big bible and long casoc. But those regular people who fear God.

9. Olori

June 20, 2017 at 6:47 pm

LOL. My dad literally was on fire a few days back because one of his employees strolled in at 12 noon for three days in a row because his church is having a “special week-long vigil programme” thingy. He did not fire him. I would have said ciao to him if it was my business, not sorry. I don’t get it tbh. You can’t do this in the developed world. What is the premise behind it? When I was in uni (private christian uni in the west) I never understood how and why the only two supermarts in the school would not open at 9 am as scheduled on thursdays and fridays because they are doing “staff fellowship”. They would open at 11/12. Imagine. This is not the Christianity Jesus died for. Nigerians are far too religious but far less godly, kind and spiritual. We are a bunch of hypocrites. It’s highly disgusting. The people with the loudest voice during prayer sessions and biggest bibles are the most wicked. No makeup no jewelry. If they saw you with no shirt on your back and they had billions of shirts, they would look the other way and move on and then go to church on Sunday, midweek and house fellowship. Good outside, wicked and devilish on the down low. The pastors nko? Money hungry fellas. About 3/4 of them. Fake elders, fake ass deacons and deaconesses. Mean ass people all of them.

• A Real Nigerian

June 20, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Love this comment

10. Mawi

June 20, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Lol…. Well said, Olori. However permit me to say this. If your dad was ‘literally on fire’, that would mean that he was actually, really on fire! But I’m sure you meant it simply as a figure of speech, hence using the word literally is in error. Please no vex o, it’s just that it’s become a common mistake these days. I am NOT grammar police

• Olori

June 20, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Lol no wahala. He is a softie at heart. He could not bring himself to sack the man. Instead he came home and was disturbing our poor ears for daysssss! LOL.

11. Amu-Uto

June 20, 2017 at 7:42 pm

I once had a team member like that — her church always came before the organization. Well since I am an atheist who likes religion, I let her have her way. Yes, let her have her way but not without surcharging her for every second of work missed.

I understand that a lot of us need belief to get by but that should not be the reason why you shirk from work and expect to receive full pay.

12. kemi o

June 20, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Please what happened to watching services online?

• Ajala & Foodie

June 20, 2017 at 8:19 pm

@ Kemi o, @ work?

13. Ceetoo

June 20, 2017 at 8:10 pm

It cannot pass husband that she went to pray for.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

June 20, 2017 at 8:27 pm

ROFLMAO

• Mawi

June 20, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Loooool……. Kai Kai!!!

• mua

June 21, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Kai! Women don suffer. So you’ve automatically concluded that the culprit is a female and all females go to church “looking” for husband. It is well.

14. Eagleeye

June 20, 2017 at 8:23 pm

The same God that created man with the brain He gave us , human beings have decided to leave that same brain outside church to worship God.

Be steward of your soul, and intelligence. to whom much is give, MUCH (including reason, sense and all intellectual faculties) is required. Doing contrary to this is NOT doing the word of God.

Please fellow human beings, let us be reasonable and not let the emotionality of humanity cloud our judgement in our worship of God. read your bible and use your sense please.

If you are employed, and you are expected to be at work on an Monday morning, and you do not show up without excusable leave; if you are fired for indiscipline ( and lack of common sense to be honest), do not go and start praying for the enemies in your village to fall down and die. It is your brain that needs deliverance.

15. Lliki

June 20, 2017 at 8:33 pm

There’s time for everything, I don’t understand why some people like to play joker with what put food on their table.
    Attend Sunday service, weekdays evening service, pray to God and do your job diligently.

16. Ajala & Foodie

June 20, 2017 at 8:39 pm

I blame our culture I.e society. “Religion” has nothing to do with this. A culture that does not push for independence, that is why an almost 34 year old quits all the jobs she has had without anything in the works because there are people to pick up her bills I.e still living at home. This same people will complain about our government but let them move overseas they will not try this nonesense ask them why, their response: “oyinbo does not have time for that” (or is the real reason, you can’t afford to lose your job because there is no one to pick up your bills?) Ignoring that it is one of the reasons why the system works there, I.e what we need to do to make Nigeria “work” again.

I was part of a women’s bible study early this year, there was one in the AM for those that were stay at home parents or their work schedule would permit them and then we had the evening sessions for those of us with jobs. You pick the one that worked for you, if I decided to go to the AM one, that would have been on me, NOT my Pastor, Church or Religion. I know many are quick to blame religion when it is us, I.e society that is the problem. Once Organizations and Employers begin letting people go for such none sense, things will change, even Churches abi na “Pastors” go change, but many Employers are guilty of this too so how do you set the right tone for your company and employees? As a business owner you set the tone of what is acceptable or not acceptable not by mouth service but by your actions. Is not even Nigeria where labor (people) surpasses jobs available that people should be doing this rubbish!!!!

17. nene

June 20, 2017 at 9:15 pm

nigerian employees are so irritating and stupid. when they need a job, they’ll beg like nothing, when they get the job, they become something else.

• nene+

June 20, 2017 at 11:16 pm

@nene If you say Nigeria employees are irritating then try other African counterparts who resume later and close earlier with very long breaks. Abeg shift! Nigerians do work hard. Try Ghana etc.

18. Amina

June 20, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Yes, the employee was out of line in this case. However, employers in Nigeria also need to recognise employee rights too. How about paying for overtime? How about sticking to the terms of employment such as allowing lunch breaks, leave days and entitlements? How many employers pay salaries on time and accurately in Nigeria? This thing has two sides o

19. noni

June 20, 2017 at 10:49 pm

What if the employee lied that she had a church service ? It seems plausible that there could be one as such programmes happen in Nigeria BUT as someone already said here , no one is compelled to go and God would understand if you dont attend.

I wouldnt blame the Pastor I would blame the employee – Because she has free will to make choices and this is the choice she made. Why blame the Pastor? and if she felt she had no choice but to go she could have informed her employer before hand so she could possibly take time off.

#Naija

20. Presh

June 20, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I just settled in , I had a been working my self out in the last one month because I started a new business. I only just discovered that a new staff of mine(25years old) that was recommended from church , that claimed to have written ssce could not read nor right . But yet she spends the entire week in church rather than sparing some time to see if she can write and read a little , Tuesday bible study, Wednesday house fellowship, Thursday digging deep , Sunday she stays for first and second service and then goes to evangelism. She has no idea that she can do little or nothing with her deficiency

21. Smh

June 21, 2017 at 1:25 am

Special Shout out to the morons at Nigeria Embassy New York, who take long breaks for prayers. Both Muslim and Christian. Thereby losing Nigeria revenue and totally making the country look stupid and unprofessional. If you can’t practice your religion at home, quit your job and go and work in a church. Stop making a nuisance of yourself.

22. Wake up Its 2017

June 21, 2017 at 1:31 am

I am so sorry for my fellow Africans that have been brainwashed by this white mans propaganda book. Some of us both in Africa and here in the US have lost touch with reality and responsibilities. When they fire you, you will call them ‘Ungodly’ and never seem to accept your faults. Like Trump will say, “So sad!”

23. ?

June 21, 2017 at 2:31 am

Some pastors are actually guilty of this act. I have heard pastor constantly tell his congregation, “if your boss cannot allow you attend the service, leave the job”.The problem is many people don’t have true relationship with God so they do as they are told to appear obedient to god’s call

24. Workaholic jinja

June 21, 2017 at 9:50 am

…give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser, Abi? Your paid to work for a certain period during the day – honour it. Now a lot of company’s try to bully staff into overtime under the guise of investing time and commitment to the business without commensurate overtime , if you’re that kind of employer – shame in you!!! If you’re an employee in that situation, do as your conscience dictates, because that’s your time for church or whatever. No pastor, I believe, will ask you to abuse your office, after all, many are in that service begging God for employment – because they have the time. If you want to help answer that prayer – Kudos!