Music

“He’s very controlling and manipulative” – Lady narrates experience with R. Kelly

BellaNaija.com

They're completely brainwashed - Girl in R. Kelly's Inner Circle describes her ExperienceA lady who said she was in R. Kelly‘s inner circle has revealed details of her experience with the singer and the girls who he is said to be keeping in an abusive cult.

The girl, who spoke with Jezebel, said that although all the other girls are above the age of consent, from 18 to their mid and early 20s, they are all “completely manipulated and brainwashed.”

The girl (dubbed Kim in order to protect her identity) is in her mid 20s and met R. Kelly about a year ago.

She said he had invited her onstage and told her afterwards “Baby Girl, I want you,” before slipping her his number.

They met the next day at a hotel and she said he paused during their lovemaking to ask her, “Baby girl, how old are you?”

She provided screenshots of texts between herself and Kelly’s assistant, Diana Copeland, and R. Kelly himself.

She also presented travel itineraries for the trips she took to see him, hotel receipts, and a photo she took of the singer asleep on a hotel couch. The itineraries and receipts matched with R. Kelly’s tour history.

When Copeland was contacted, she identified herself before refusing to speak with reporters, adding, “What does her claims have to do with me?”

“I knew what I was getting myself into,” Kim said. She added that she’d been a fan of R. Kelly since she was little, and also enjoyed the lifestyle.

She said she didn’t know the other girls weren’t free to leave, although she was aware she was different from the other girls as she isn’t into the music business, which gives Kelly less of a hold on her, and she’s white while majority of the other girls are black.

She also described the ways R. Kelly controls the girls. She told Jezebel:

The women can’t enter a room without knocking three times and waiting for permission to enter; they also have to ask permission to leave.

When we’re out we’re not allowed to look at anyone. We have to keep our heads down. If we’re back in his studio sitting on the couches and he has friends across the room at the bar we can’t look at each other or communicate with each other.

If we’re in an Uber and we chat up the driver we’re supposed to tell him this girl did this or that. He’s very controlling and manipulative. He likes to be in control.

We’re not allowed to talk about anything. We can compliment shoes or nail polish or make small talk about the weather but we can’t talk about any personal details.

He never makes threats, but the girls are so eager to do whatever he wants. He’ll wake us out of a dead sleep and say to this girl, ‘Suck my dick,’ or to these two girls, ‘Kiss on each other,’ and immediately without thought they jump right to it. It’s just bizarre. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen before honestly.

It’s not non-consensual, I guess. But I don’t know if they even realize the situation they’re in is wrong.

The girls are also instructed to call R. Kelly “Daddy,” and he calls them his babies.

She added that R. Kelly has three iPads with which he records both his daily activities and his sexual trysts with the girls.

“He records everything. Absolutely everything. A lot of times he doesn’t have sex with the girls, he just likes to watch them on each other and records them,” she said.

She said she never saw him get violent, although she found one encounter particularly disturbing.

She said she and a 19-year-old girl were asked by R. Kelly to take off their clothes and “act like they miss each other.” R. Kelly filmed them with his iPad, but was dissatisfied with the 19-year-old’s performance.

She said he took the 19-year-old into his room and asked Kim to sit on the couch.

She said 20 minutes later, he called her into the room, and after “she knocked the proper way,” she walked in to find the girl nude except with a big piece of R. Kelly’s chain around her neck.

He had his iPad recording and she was naked except for a big chain and she was running laps from one end of the room to the other. She was running laps around the room and apologizing. She kept saying, ‘I’ve been bad, I’m sorry Daddy,’ sh*t like that. And I’m standing there and she starts apologizing to me.

Kim said she told the girl it was fine, but R. Kelly cut her off, and the girl said, “I know I have to do what Daddy says, I have to act like I miss you more, I wasn’t getting into it.”

Asked why she put up with everything, the control and the disturbing requests, she said she enjoyed the lifestyle.

She said, “Since I was little. I’ve always loved his music. And the lifestyle, I guess, is really cool: being brought up onstage, being paid attention to.”

Photo Credit: Jezebel

1. Bennie

July 20, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Shame on you R kelly, so disappointed ! Eeew! how can you be teaching young girls lesbianism and all that? Anyway, like she said they enjoyed it sha, but its jsut too bad

2. Grace

July 20, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Okay, we can say R.Kelly is a sociopath but this write up is for parents.

Please we need to raise our daughters to love themselves and never feel like they need to earn our love. I watched a video of a south African student being bullied and they kept asking the girl ‘do you still want to be my daughter?’ now R. kelly is asking them to call him daddy.

Men, love your wives so your daughters experience real love from home and be the first love of your daughters. Mothers, model confidence, queenship and emotional strength to your daughters.

If kids do not have acceptance from home, if they feel like they are lacking in some way, then they are bound to stay spoilt longer (notice I say stay longer cos sometimes, life happens and even the best of kids get messed up but the knowledge that they are loved gives them the strength to try).

It’s like the prodigal son, after he was done eating with swine, he said I will go back to my father and ask to be a servant. This is because he trusted his father’s love and even in his lowest state knew he could go home and his requests will be granted. When he went home with heads bowed, esteem battered asking to be a servant cos that’s all he believed he was, his father affirmed him and called him son.

Our kids must always know that they can come home.

The boys too need to be raised right and please can we stop calling it macho when our sons display sociopathic, insecure behavior. My elder brother would have ended up messed up, he was very mean and used to put girls down a lot. We quarreled one day and I told him straight up ‘you think I’m one of those insecure girls you can talk to anyhow and they’ll feel bad. Nonsense, my kind of girl will eat you raw’. When my dad tried to settle our differences, my mother told him bluntly, ‘honey, you need to talk to your son, you are raising a boy who will bring another woman’s child to my family only to punish her’.

My parents worked on him together, my father had a heartfelt discussion and told him and I quote ‘I am afraid to die, and not because I’m young but because I do not have a first son, you do not act like a man. A real man respects women, protects them and treats them with dignity. I cannot leave my wife and daughters in your care.’ My mother on the other hand refused to speak with him. He will call home from school and my mother will tell my dad in a loud voice to ensure my brother hears her ‘I don’t speak to men who want to act like Boys. Real men respect women’.

My elder brother had a full 180 degree turn, he worked on himself, my younger brother actually told us that he began to pray about it and today he uses he strength to protect the women around him.

Parents ( and by parents, I mean fathers and mothers; not just mothers alone) raise your kids right.

• Poesy

July 20, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Thank you Grace.

• ami

July 22, 2017 at 12:58 pm

One of the best comments on Bellanaija. Thank you.

3. Jay14

July 20, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Grace..I absolutely love what you have written. RKelly is obviously disturbed….I don’t know much about his childhood, but i’m guessing he must have been sexually abused/introduced to sexual content at a time his young brain could not handle it. This is the product of that lifestyle. Increasingly, it has also been found that men do not feel the need to get married, or when they do, they do not have normal sexual relationships anymore…It all starts with ‘that little inappropriate movie’ after all…it can’t hurt can it? We are just being boys…..everyone does it…The end product is a screwed lifestyle and great disrespect for women and their bodies. It’s a pity but we all need a 360 degrees turn. I really do wish the govt/appropriate authority will push the network providers to block inappropriate content in Nigeria…Let it be up to the adult to source for it if they so desire, but we need to protect the children.

• Vogue

July 21, 2017 at 10:01 am

Best comment I have read on Bellanaija

4. Ec

July 20, 2017 at 11:05 pm

He has done way more than this. He is a sexual predator that has not paid for his crimes

5. EseDeeva

July 21, 2017 at 9:36 am

This sounds like a threesome and more to me, even some Nigerian politicians and big boys/men do this. Girls with their love for money will continue to say yes, so even when one girl back out, there are more than 10 girls that are willing to replace her, So not right, but I don’t thinks it is a cult thing. May God give us the grace to make the right decision at all times

6. Tosin

July 21, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I don’t even recognize … I mean, you mean you didn’t want to keep reading? This is the stuff bestselling (though thrashy) novels are made of. A really engaging story.