News

Woman kills Husband for Insurance Money but Ex-wife gets it

BellaNaija.com

Uloma Curry-Walker and Lt. William Walker

Uloma Curry-Walker, a 45-year old newly-wed, in Cleveland, USA, hired a hit-man to kill her husband so she could get his $100,000 insurance payout along with his pension cheques to pay off her debts.

Uloma Curry-Walker and her husband Lt. William Walker (a firefighter with the Cleveland Fire Department) had been married for only 4 months when she, being tens-of-thousands of dollars in debt, decided to ask her daughter’s boyfriend to carry out a hit on William.

According to CBS News, on paying her 17 year old daughter’s boyfriend (20 Year old Chad Padgett) a $1000 advance fee, he contracted the hit to his cousin (Christopher Hein, also 20) who then had a failed attempt at assassinating William and decided to sub-contract it to another thug (22 year old Ryan Dotty) who was able to successfully deliver four bullets to her husband while he was out getting fast-food on Uloma’s request.

After the murder, Uloma found out that William Walker’s ex-wife was still listed as the beneficiary on all his financial payouts.

Uloma has been convicted of aggravated murder and is set to be sentenced on August 8, 2017; possibly to life in prison without possibility of  parole.

Photo Credit: Instagram @balleralert

1. Bennie

July 17, 2017 at 1:42 pm

This news is one week late na, BN!!!
    Anyway, that is what happens to greedy people, just unfortunate that an innocent man, whose only crime was to fall in love died . May his soul rest in peace.

• Diamond

July 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Please, where do you get quick news updates? I need to start visiting that site. BN always carrying last since tey tey

2. coriander group

July 17, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Sad, everyone has to pay for there sins

3. abby

July 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Congrats u played urself!!

4. Mz Socially Awkward....

July 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm

BN, I’m just quite curious as to why you disabled comments under the post of Babangida’s daughter’s wedding. Or would you prefer we not call stolen funds what they are, when we see them being thrown at extravagant weddings?

Again, just curious.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 17, 2017 at 2:47 pm

And you know, I typed the above and it was only after it was posted (very immediately, no “comment awaiting moderation” to hold things up) that the very clear irony occurred to me.

The above article also concerns financial crimes plus others against humanity….. and you’ve given us complete freedom to post comments of any type + shade. No attempt to deny anyone’s voice here in any way – we can condemn and decry this woman’s actions as much as possible…. but you’ve taken it off a post regarding our very own Grand Criminal in Minna?

Beht why such hypocrisy, BN? I never thought I’d have to use those words regarding this website. Without any acrimony whatsoever, let me just advise that you really need to pick a side and stick to it. Either stand against the social evils that you’ve sometimes joined in lamenting about or remain a plastic receptacle of all the glitzy, pretty events which are hosted and funded by the very evil we abhor.

Just my own counsel, do with your forum whatever you please.

• Ephi

July 17, 2017 at 2:49 pm

MSA, didn’t realize you had made exactly the same point in my comment. I expect BN will soon delete both comments. Shame.

• Ajala & Foodie

July 17, 2017 at 3:47 pm

@MSA, you know I am beginning to really ponder that talk you talk about the probability of a partnership because things just dey look somehow. I thought maybe it was target audience things but now I am doubting that is the case.

• Ewa

July 17, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Shame on Bella Naija, this is a case of “He who he who pays the piper calls the tune”. Saw the wedding article when it was put up. Came back online this afternoon only to realise they had disabled the comments. Shame on BN. How are you different from LIB???

• Seriously

July 17, 2017 at 4:18 pm

@Mz socially awkward
      I totally agree with you.
      I find it appalling, disturbing and disrespectful to delete comments just because Bella naija folks are friends with a particular group of people. It’s evident by now BN are “friends” with the IBB family and benefitting from their ill gotten stolen money because whenever an honest opinion and truth is posted about this particular fam, best believe your comments are no where to be found. It’s very absurd.

This is a public platform and opinion. Why post something but not ready for the feedback bcos it doesn’t satisfy your sycophant taste. Don’t post it then. We the readers can do without the stupidly extravagant wedding funded by the country’s money. It’s a slap in the face of Nigerians. There’s nothing to aww about that wedding when IBB should be in prison in the first place. He shouldn’t be celebrated in any shape or form by the public including his children.
      Dude must have a spell on everyone bcos Nigerians are so scared, afraid to call him out. As one of my uncles mentioned once, IBB is very powerful(it must be in voodoo) Roll eyes.

• The Real Oma

July 17, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I actually went back to confirm for myself and indeed the comments have been deleted save for one made my ‘Faboulous’ “Money well spent, congratulations”
      It would be hilarious if it was not such a damn shame.
      Doesn’t change the fact the money lavished on that union was stolen from the common man, the ones Aisha referred to us ‘lowly animals’

• FasholasLover

July 17, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Shame on you BN. I wanted to comment this morning and it wasn’t possible safe for one comment fawning. I thot it was a glitch. Babangida belongs in jail and since there is no one brave enough to put him on trial, he will die an unhappy man. Bella, your in-laws have “kapa e ko” Rubbish and nonsense.

• slice

July 17, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for your comments. I know bn has some respect for you and someone of your caliber and who has always supported them should be worth listening to. Amybe they’ve been threatened. But if that’s the case, don’t post at sll

• missnk

July 18, 2017 at 12:22 am

I started reading bella naija in december 2008 just before I started college. I loved how refreshing and unbiased it seemed. But their values have changed so much. The blog benefits from the stolen money so they protect their source. shameful

• Chioma

July 18, 2017 at 1:09 am

I’ve always had tremendous respect for Uche Pedro but she’s losing some integrity. I came on this blog late but I went all the way to years ago posts/articles and it’s clear this blog is not the way it used to be. They are known for their wedding posts, gives you glimpse into what’s happening in Nigeria even if it’s the 1% of it. From the constant grammatical errors, to so many things. I’m not sure what happened but it’s better to go all the way than play sides. We have strong opinions about linda ikeji, but she remains the same. But to pretend to be something you are not is worst.
      I didn’t bother to click on the wedding immediately I saw the bride’s last name.
      But I was shocked to read comments were deleted. Wow, that’s crazy though.
      If it’s getting too difficult and complex to remain true to the heart to which this blog started then sell it or close it down

5. Ephi

July 17, 2017 at 2:37 pm

BN,
    Although I’m sure you would also not post this, I will still repeat it.

Re the Babangida wedding post, I think it’s very disrespectful to your visitors that you let people type comments and then go ahead to delete all comments despite the fact there wasn’t any abusive one in there. It is much better from the start to disable the comments rather than let people waste their time typing and then delete. Secondly, deleting comments in which people have expressed their legitimate views e.g. on polygamy, etc does NOT change those views.

• Mary

July 17, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Well, BN left a comment so apparently it was not all deleted, I guess it was the best comment made for them.
      That wedding was beyond lavish. Just reading BN’s introductory part alone is breathtaking.; gold cutlery, flowers and candles around the cake….wow….
      Yet we have people like a poster from last week who needed 150k for her education and I am here seeking for funds also to further my education.
      We would continue to pray for a better Nigeria.

6. ma

July 17, 2017 at 6:51 pm

shame on you bn,shaaame

7. B.E.T. Proudly Nigerian.

July 17, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Wow. I’m highly disappointed in you, Bellanaija
    It was a shock when I read all that, till I confirmed

‘Been a blog visitor for years and I had always been proud of this blog
    I’m shocked that you now lack integrity
    A case of those who we are trusting are now failing…
    Probably you’ve started collecting brown envelopes. You’re gradually becoming bootlickers
    Too very bad
    I’m very disappointed

• Diamond

July 17, 2017 at 9:37 pm

You really realized very late. BN are bootlickers since I can’t remember. Shame!

8. Mamamia

July 17, 2017 at 10:16 pm

You guys are getting too lazy BN… Really?

9. Corolla

July 17, 2017 at 10:35 pm

The heart of man is wicked! This idiot killed her husband because of money? What can $100k even do? Your life in yankee wont dramatically change because of $100k. I hope she is imprisoned for life. Murderer oshi!

10. Nky

July 18, 2017 at 8:49 am

BN why will you ignore your readers by deleting their comments because it offends you? Please don’t send me any feedback surveys o because the complaints above should be enough for you. Too sad. Nigeria I hail thee!!!

11. Uch

July 18, 2017 at 1:21 pm

When I saw the IBB wedding on their Facebook page, I didn’t even bother glimpsing at the comments on Facebook not to talk of opening the page…..I should have and not missed all the comments. They are trying to satisfy their CUSTOMER

12. sisi

July 18, 2017 at 2:11 pm

its not only BN oo even linda Ikeji now deletes pple’s comments. when she uploaded Oyin Adenuga’s details and her hubby pple left all sort of comment before we knew wetin dey all comments were deleted and even the whole post moderated removed d guy’s picture and all.

13. BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija.com

July 19, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the comments.
    We read them and we appreciate them.
    It is so easy to believe the worst but often times, the truth is simple.

If you have followed BellaNaija, you will know that for ALL wedding posts, we approve POSITIVE comments only.
    Kindly visit the http://www.bellanaija.com/weddings and browse back as far as you like.

This is because, a wedding is a once in a lifetime event. It is special. In our view, while everyone has a right to their opinions, BellaNaija Weddings chooses to keep remain as a positive space.
    Some will claim that this does not apply to everyone but it truly does.
    I have heard people mention the Mercy Johnson example, we vividly remember having to delete about 100 comments relating to her wedding on the official post.
    Giving this example to emphasize that this standard is consistent and has been in place for years.

Comment moderation on BellaNaija is via a technology algorithm-driven automated system in place to hold comments which obviously contravene our terms and conditions for moderation. That is why some comments make it through and have to be deleted later.

BellaNaija Weddings is FREE as in, completely, free. We have NEVER accepted any payment for any real wedding features on http://www.bellanaija.com
    We know people like to believe that we are someone pocketing some millions behind the scenes but this has never happened and will never happen.
    BellaNaija has been the No 1 advocate and pioneer for transparency in the online media space, that is why commercial content is always marked as Sponsored Content and this has been in place from the beginning.

Some also accuse us of posting content to bait for comments. If we do, then why would we delete negative comments which would surely generate a significant response?
    We wish people could see some of the brutal comments we delete here and on social media.
    Every day, hundreds of comments which reveal people’s personal secrets, make accusations etc….Deleted.
    Here are samples of deleted comments from today on different posts.
    “She’s ugly, as are the other two models on the cover.”
    “It was on the low key because it was only about 5 months and he popped the question. The ring was meant for some other babe . His ex . The babe dropped the boy like bird cause of his ways .”
    “The bride is not as pretty as her mom”
    “Body language of the couple…i don’t think these two are excited about each other
    Chemistry missing”
    “Love her outfits! Beautful.. Seems she is like 40 years old and much older than her groom. Some Cougar or sugar mummy things. Seems that’s what people do these days”
    “- got himself a groupie/jump off/gold digger. Lol”
    “agree with @tolu ..there is something about this relationship that reeks of trust issues ,insecurity and a little bit of fakeness ( like they are both using and decieving themselves).. and you have lol at the ridiculous excuses made for them here”

Just imagine yourself as the bride or groom.
    so many examples we cannot even repost.

***

We are not perfect but we are confident in our values.
    We do not take bribes – EVER
    We respect copyright and privacy.
    We seek our positive stories.
    We work very hard 24/7
    We pay tax
    We create jobs for Nigerians
    We promote a positive view of our great continent
    There is no way to please everyone and we respect that but we know our ethos and we stand by it.

Relating to the Babangida wedding, no we were not paid or bribed, no no one contacted us to delete anything, no one threatened us.
    Simply ALL the comments were negative.
    That is why we decided to close comments. This is not peculiar to this post alone. In cases where comments are overwhelmingly negative, we have removed posts completely and/or closed comments. A recent example was this post which degraded into a harsh tribal argument several weeks ago – https://www.bellanaija.com/2017/06/northerners-living-niger-delta-leave-october-1st-niger-delta-militants/
    In other cases, where there is a mix of positive and negative comments for wedding posts, we would have deleted the negatives.
    This is not an issue peculiar to Nigeria alone, internationally People.com and several other publications no longer have comments on all their posts.

Everyone has a story – personally, family and professionally. Some people choose to marry someone 20 years older, some people choose to enter polygamous unions, some people choose to do the exact same makeup as “every other bride” etc…
    It is their choice, let us respect that.

We are definitely not endorsing Babangida or the Babangida family. As a citizen of Nigeria, it is within your rights to begin a petition against them if you strongly believe there is a case against him.

However, relating to BellaNaija and BellaNaija Weddings, we have to apply the same standards to every couple featured on BellaNaija Weddings.

Thanks BNers.
    We love you and know any feedback from a BNer comes from a place of love and support.