News

British-Nigerian Councillor Chika Amadi Suspended for Homophobic Comments

BellaNaija.com

British-Nigerian Councillor Chika Amadi Suspended for Homophobic Comments - BellaNaijaChika Amadi, an evangelical pastor and a Labour Party councillor has been suspended for making comments deemed offensive and homophobic.

According to Guardian, the British-Nigerian councillor had allegedly shared homophobic content on her social media pages, likened Pride marchers to pedophiles, and called them abnormal.

She had reportedly shared a photo from a Toronto Pride march in which a young girl appears to cover her eyes as a naked man walks past.

She tweeted: “Walking about naked in front of children is nothing but pedophilia being labelled liberalism.”

She continued: “Evil. If you walk around naked in front of my children for whatever depraved reason, the Consuming Fire God I serve will put you to sudden sleep.”

In another tweet, she said: “Try me try my God. Walk naked in front of my child, you will know whether you are normal or not.”

She also shared on her Facebook page a post from the Gambian President Adama Barrow saying:

“Homosexuality is anti-humanity. I have never seen a homosexual chicken, or turkey. If you are convicted of homosexuality in this country, there will be no mercy for offenders. We will put you in the female wing of the prison.”

On one of her Facebook posts, a user commented: “Vultures will eat their flesh,” to which she replied: “Amen. Thank you for standing with me and others in that circumstance.”

The Labour Party released a statement saying: “Chika Amadi has been suspended… pending an investigation.”

They also termed her comments “offensive, distasteful and homophobic.”

The Conservative Party also released a statement, saying: “These homophobic comments by a sitting Labour councillor are completely unacceptable and wrong. I urge the Harrow Labour party to withdraw the whip immediately from Councillor Amadi to reflect the seriousness of these statements on her social media.”

Photo Credit: Twitter – @chikadreams

1. Bibi

August 1, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Look at what she is wishing people. Is there anywhere in the bible that Jesus wish death or made anyone to die in the Bible ?

Jesus came for the sinners. Stupid Pharisee. Her citizenship should be revoked.

Thank God that humans are not God. Hate filled woman. I saw that parade pic. Why should government allow anyone roam a public place naked. That’s wrong.

• Nee

August 1, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Walking naked = indecent exposure. Indecent exposure is an offense that has nothing to do with being gay or straight. Using that as an excuse to attack gay people is pathetic.

• truth

August 1, 2017 at 6:01 pm

What is civilize in a man putting his D*** in another man anus? How has being gay help any economy? Free the woman, b4 this century gay was never accepted, so why take it on it when she is saying the truth. If what you call gay is good and natural, nobody will be contesting and fighting u‎

• Smh

August 2, 2017 at 12:00 am

@truth how has being straight helped the economy ?

• Gabriel

August 8, 2017 at 10:20 pm

She is entitled to her views. Did she threaten violence or use abusive language? You know these guys are misguided and chose to ignore that fact.

2. godwin

August 1, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Loll,She reckons UK is Nigeria. So called Christians sometimes have ice cold hearts like ISIS. She is finished in British politics. Perhaps,She needs to relocate to Nigeria because the environment will suit her perfectly

3. The Real Oma

August 1, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Now she is British-Nigerian???

4. steve bash

August 1, 2017 at 12:12 pm

hmmm she just said her mind forgetting she is not in nigeria….pure igbo woman

5. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

August 1, 2017 at 12:15 pm

@Bibi, “Her citizenship should be revoked.?”

she has been suspended

she is a Labour Party councillor

I think it works differently in the United Kingdom, they will resolve whatever issues there are, I think

she is a public servant

6. Anon

August 1, 2017 at 12:25 pm

*ps There are loads of homosexual animals. Nothing wrong with being anti-homosexual acts based on your religion, but a lot of Nigerians obsessively HATE homosexuals the way they should hate adultery and poor treatment of domestic staff (but don’t) and it has nothing to do with religion. She could have preached her religious views without resorting to insults and curses. I saw the gay pride event with my own eyes including the that stayed till midnight and there were no naked people (that I saw). People campaign and fundraise while naked a lot and it’s weird and criminal, why focus on homosexuals that come out once a year? A lot of scantily dressed people yes, but they were as scantily clad as the rest of London because it was a really hot and sunny day, even for lagos standards. If she hates British liberalism so much, she should move back to Nigeria and wish her rights goodbye because she will see sexism in politics that will open her eyes. As a councillor, she represents all including homosexuals under her. how does she expect them to feel? I get that it is a sin, but it’s really unfair how badly Nigerians mistreat these people, I doubt that’s the Christian thing to do.

7. Agu

August 1, 2017 at 12:30 pm

She thought she was in not so civlized country nigeria when she was tweeting all this homophobic rants. If it was in Nigeria the will let her get away with and even some will praise her smh.

• Chuks

August 1, 2017 at 6:13 pm

so acceptance of homosexuality is your measure for civilisation. Loool whatever tickles your genitalia abi. Loool your kind will always be ruled and lead by your lust for flesh. Don’t get it twisted. notting to do with rights, civilisation etc and everything to do with an appalling inability to curb your sexual desires. Infact your kind will stick it in any hole. Disgusting.

• Smh

August 2, 2017 at 12:02 am

@chuks really? You men that plant seed inside and outside your matrimonial home, cheat on your wives and put your penis in everything under a skirt, are you the ones that are controlling your own flesh? Please go and sit down somewhere. If you like like your foolish comment 700 times, it still will be foolish

• Serene

August 2, 2017 at 7:15 am

@smh looooooool see if this was a post on corruption I will give my view, if it was a post on adultery I will have my 5 cent. If na talk about old men marrying children I will talk too. This here post is about homosexuality, based on my religion, culture and societal norm I condemn homosexuality with no regrets. It’s an abomination, my abhorrence of other like sexual sin does not take away from my views on homosexuality. I’m not in it for the popular vote people like my comment because it’s fact. Religion, culture, society abhor homosexuality even your own biological body, you have no no orifice to recieve your misguided, wayward “”proboscis”” you guys got to stick it in a waste disposal unit# sad.

8. BlueEyed

August 1, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Look at this foolish display of inhumanity doused in religious foolery….that consuming fire she is calling for is sure coming upon her hypocritical self.
    Thank you @Nee, foolishness has no sexuality or gender, different individuals have been arrested for indecent exposure the world over.

9. Diamond

August 1, 2017 at 3:06 pm

This woman thinks she’s still in Nigeria where anything and everything goes… market woman politician.

10. Mohammad

August 1, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Finish her!!! Make she send her god come fight for her. Oponu oshi.

11. courage

August 1, 2017 at 5:14 pm

her opinion oh…….

12. Nahum

August 1, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Madam should have condemned the indecent exposure without focusing on homosexuality knowing the kind of country she lives in and as a civil servant. Good for her, all you judging Georges and Georginas that will pluck the speck out of others eyes instead of dealing with the log in yours.

13. Baby gurl

August 1, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Chai this woman thought she was in Naija. As a christian I recognize, according to the Word of God, that homosexuality is a sin, but because I am not God, because I sin and because I have overflowing love in my heart, I will never ever show hatred or judgement towards any L,G,B or T person. They are humans just like us. They rise and fall just like us. As we lie and steal meat from the pot, our sin which we think is “small” is exactly the same as their sin. Leave judging for God. Do the loving instead as directed to us by Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

• Fisayo

August 1, 2017 at 9:48 pm

As a Christian I know not to judge as Christ commands. I also no to say the truth homosexuality like all sin is an abomination. I say it as it is. I say it so that my children know instinctively that it is a no go area, not an option to explore. I do not go around gay bashing that is contrary to Christ love your neighbor as yourself philosophy but if you ask me my opinion I will say without fear that it is an abomination to God. I call in sick to work when I just want to lay in I have no excuse for that it is a sin. I live in England my kids know as soon as they step into my house they have entered Nigeria oh. This is a true story- I have a colleague a Nigerian who was all for gay rights we use to have friendly debates regarding homosexuality. Well guess whose shoulder she turned to cry on when her beautiful daughter came back from uni declaring she’s a lesbian. Looool. My orobo friend turn to phanla just like that looool ?Sorry I’m a Christian I shouldn’t laugh but the way she made a 360 degree turn on her homosexual views was soooooo funnny? I swear, she fasted, binded devil speaking in tongues Looool for real. I just laugh my head off whenever I remember. It turned out the daughter was going through a phase well that’s what she say.

14. Lailatu

August 1, 2017 at 10:13 pm

See all the homosexual apologists on BN rejoicing. Oh well… we are still not accepting it in Naija. We have enough issues to deal with already.

• Gokuu

August 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Wrong. People are just saying: “Mind your business”

• Smh

August 2, 2017 at 12:05 am

Maybe homosexuality will add to the corruption in the country, maybe it will add to the sufffering, maybe t will increase the domestic violence in the country, maybe it will increase the rate of men cheating up and down. Madam/Oga, not everything write rubbish. Sometimes think. Other people living their lives and minding their business has nothing to do with you, please leave them alone and face your own life and sins

15. Gokuu

August 1, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Terrible woman.
    She thought she was still in Nigeria where she can defame and harass anyone without repercussions.
    She wants to have the best of both worlds. She probably loves the great social services and good government of Britain, but does not recognise that EQUALITY is a bedrock of that good government.
    If she want she to trade in bigotry, she should simply come here to Nigeria and enjoy the terrible system we have here.

16. Serene

August 1, 2017 at 11:46 pm

So let’s see a father who wants to sleep with his consenting daughter or mother and consenting son should be allowed to, because we all sin differently. The father and daughter or mother and son should move in next door to you and you tell your children that man is having a relationship with his daughter, but it’s okay let them do what they want. So my homo apologists in the house why does the law intervene in incest hum? Abi we should just let them do what they want after all they are not harming anyone ?. CB

17. Beauty

August 14, 2017 at 9:16 am

Sorry for people saying that she is finished. That is your typical Nigerian thinking. She is not finished in politics. In fact she is no more suspended but has voluntarily stepped down as a Labour Councillor but remains an independent councillor. Here is here response:

Re: Social Medial Postings and My Suspension

I am neither homophobic nor a bigot.

I wish to say that as a person I treat every human being with respect and have no misgivings against anyone. I have represented all Harrow constituents fairly, impartially and respectfully since 2014. It is unfortunate that my tweets were misinterpreted, taken out of context and misconstrued while I was Vilified, bullied, intimidated, demonised and abused by innumerable people for expressing my thoughts. For all intents and purposes my tweet was highlighting the fact that adults walking naked (for whatever purpose) in the full glare of children especially where that child is distressed is abhorrent (and not necessarily the parade itself) just as if teachers or councillors or workers should display nudity before children without prior warning and safeguarding them, it will end in jail term. I never mentioned or attacked the LGBT community not even once as it has been made out for which I have been vilified, demonised and called Homophobic. I am not homophobic. I am a tolerant person and I love people as well as helping people. If walking naked before children is now okay and acceptable in the UK, I am afraid The UK has then lost its high moral ground to condemn Saudi Arabia for the abhorrent way they treat females as this incidence clearly shows that the UK society treat female children even worst than Saudi Arabia who I guess will not expose young girls in the public. This to me shows that having the watershed over the media is laughable if it is alright for children to be able to see this type of actions practically. My tweets were far from homophobic rather I feel strongly that matured adults parading naked in front of a child without any safeguards in any capacity is offensive and distasteful in this century and in a modern society. Worse still, parents deliberately exposing their children to traumatic sights must be frowned at. Children should be allowed to enjoy their childhood until they are able to make informed choices.

As a black Woman, when I saw that little traumatised girl trying so hard to cover her face and as a black British woman I was traumatised as well. I could put myself in her shoes growing up in Nigeria to see a black male in a parade naked.

On refection though, I think perhaps I would be more careful in my choice of words when re-acting to similar issue in the future and I do apologise for any unintended offence caused. But, nonetheless, this does not negative the substance of my complaint in relation to the distress that the action and public display of nudity caused to some young innocent children during the parade. I thought and still strongly feel that the behavior of a small element of the LGBT participating in the parade was deplorable and the protection of children and putting in place safeguards must always be paramount and I think I was right to point it out.
    However, I am rather shocked and extremely disappointed that as soon as someone makes a flimsy allegation against a particular section of the Labour Party, it becomes convenient for the Labour hierarchy to quickly consider suspension or even dismissing that person from the Party. How I wish same principle is consistently applied to all cross sections of the Party and or membership. But that has not always been the case. This is rather hypocritical and extremely worrying! This negates the parties rule around social media suspension that I am right to criticise my suspension in a way because the Labour Party has a rule regarding suspension over social media posts . See here McNicol’s new DPA guide shows Lab HQ can’t legally use social media to suspend
    It seems some animals are more equal than others. Does the Labour Party react same way for all members with protected characteristics as the LGBT, certainly not! This is clearly unfair. I thought one is always innocent until proven guilty. I thought the Labour Party stands for equality, fairness and social justice. Or is it just in phrases and slogans? Clearly, the way the Party has responded and overreacted to this allegation by my immediate suspension before any formal investigation is completely unfair. Did it ever occur to the Labour Party management that it might be politically motivated with some vested interest? If the Labour Party had always reacted same way whenever a member of the Black and Minority Ethnic was at the receiving end, I could have been more sympathetic to why the Party had to react that way. Those who initiated my suspension clearly knew what they were doing. How I wish the Labour Party General Secretary is so swift to act when other members of the Labour Party with different protected characteristics are vilified and abused by others. This is another example of hypocrisy and over-reaction from the Party. Is this what Labour Party calls fairness?

Whilst I do accept that perhaps I should have been careful with my choice of words in describing my disgust of the way some adults were behaving and parading themselves in front of children in broad day light, and to the extent that some of the kids witnessing those half naked men were so distressed to the point that they had to cover their faces.

I thought children are supposed to be allowed to remain children with their full sense of innocence. But clearly not! Isn’t part of the responsibilities of any elected representative and their Party is to protect children from physical, mental/psychological abuse? Where do the rights of the LGBTs stops and rights of innocent young children start? Clearly, from the way I have been treated, it seems to me that the protection of the LGBT community is more important than the rights of the rest of us who may think the actions and behaviors of certain members of the group, in certain cases are questionable and deplorable.
    I am a prisoner of conscience and a victim of neo-liberal social witch-hunting. This is neither fairness nor social justice! I thought one of the principles of law is that ‘one is innocent until proven guilty’. Clearly, this hasn’t been the case here. Suspend first, the hearing later.
    I have represented all members of my constituency to the best of my abilities without favours since elected; irrespective of their individual gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, belief, etc. There has never been any complaint about my behavior nor relationship with anyone, including the LGBT community since elected or indeed even before. If my action was classified as extreme and deplorable, how would anyone define the response from the Labour Party? Is that fair? Clearly not to me! Clearly, I have lost everything within the Party: my re-selection, possible election, and my future political career within the Labour Party because of overreaction of the General Secretary and determination to prioritise protection of the LGBT group against other communities with differing characteristics, irrespective how unfair the action might be. It is very obvious to me that that the rights of BAME communities and those of us with religious beliefs must always come secondary.

I am a prisoner of conscience, just like several thousands of the Labour members and ordinary citizens, black and white, who feel voiceless and dispossessed by ultra liberal attitude of the Labour Party which is not evenly applied to all communities.
    Aren’t Labour supposed to be representing everyone? Clearly, this has not been the case here. All animals are equal, but alas, some seem to be more equal than others in this case.
    Once again, if my action and or my comments have inadvertently upset anyone, I do apologise for any offence or distress caused. I am not perfect. I am continuing to learn from my shortcomings and shall endeavour to response positively to any available future diversity and equality training opportunities, including particularly those courses relating to ‘human empathy’. May I also recommend that the Labour Party should make training on ‘emotional intelligence’ for all members of the Party, especially those in the position of power and authority from the grassroots level to the top of the Party because clearly, this is very lacking from my observation of how certain matters are being dealt with.
    In view of the unfair and imbalanced the matter has been handled and how I have been treated by the Labour Party, which has deprived me of the opportunity to be considered for re-selection by the Party membership I have represented without any blemish to my reputation since elected; with a heavy heart, have already informed the Labour Party and Harrow Labour Group that I intend to serve the rest of my term as an elected ‘Independent Councillor’ to continue to represent the interest of Edgware residents who voted me in to represent them.

We all must do more to protect the girl child from every form of obscenities, abuse, trafficking or forced Marriage.  I was voted in as a councillor by Edgware residents and the fact that I am a Pastor was not hidden.

Living in a democratic nation, I feel it is in my right to hold my personal and religious views and values which in no way affects the way I represent those who reposed trust in me and voted for me to represent them. It is in my right to exercise my right of thought and expression.

I believe that it is undemocratic to coerce everyone to accept only a view favourable to one set of people. I believe in the saying: Live and let live. The UK is a country of Rule of Law but some sections of the society seems to be losing their freedom of speech and freedom to practice their faith without fear of reprisals. This is wrong and something needs to be done. However, I forgive every member of the LGBT community and the wider population for abusing me or calling me unprintable names

Regards,